[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't use the reticle in some shooters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: 3.png (9KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
9KB, 768x432px
I don't use the reticle in some shooters. I am unsure why this is the case. For example, in TF2 when using the rocket launcher or scatter gun I seem to rely more on instinct than the target's actual approximation to the center of my screen. With the scatter gun, I often won't shift my aim vertically but alter my character's position in relation to the enemy. This could be due to the anticipation of how most enemies maneuver.

Depending on the game there becomes a point where I use the reticle as an approximation of where my projectile (hitscan or otherwise) will end up. However, there are instances where I block out sensory information and begin to see the game in terms of targets and their closeness to my crosshair. This takes deliberate effort and in some cases provides greater results. This really depends on the game.

For example, when using a spinfusor the you almost never shoot where your reticle is aiming. It is used as a gauge by which to compensate for inheritance of the projectile in relation to an enemies' position. Where as in Battlefield or Arma, following the crosshair is a must even with mild drop off or in Arma's case, extreme drop off depending on the gun.

There isn't a specific point I am trying to make. I would just like to know how /v/ interprets and uses their crosshair in FPS games or shooters in general as this could apply to TPS as well.

Do you rely on instinct in relation to when someone will enter your crosshair, do you actively try to place them in it? Do you block out other superficial information and focus solely on the crosshair or do you rely on sensory information? Keep in mind this could effect how you spot targets as well. If you are not constantly aware of your surroundings, knowing where to place your crosshair becomes irrelevant.
>>
thats a lotta words about crosshairs
>>
File: 1488768529736.jpg (327KB, 2060x1815px) Image search: [Google]
1488768529736.jpg
327KB, 2060x1815px
Chevron's are always top crosshairs
>>
>>383455059

I like you.

Add me on discord, let's play some FPS together. Volume#0938

I used to be a crosshair autist. I actually really liked playing Tribes without crosshairs, so, sure.
>>
File: untitled1.jpg (20KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
untitled1.jpg
20KB, 880x660px
>>383455059
light blue cross is the best crosshair.
>>
>>383455059
I use them only when trying a game for the first time until I get the hang of the shooting.

Specially when when using projectile based weapons, most of the time I won't aim with crosshair but rather as you say, try to predict the enemy's movement and shooting where I think they're going to move.
>>
>>383455059
Interesting. Do you play a lot of Counter-Strike? I imagine that's what would do it.

I rely on the crosshairs a lot because I'm mostly playing games with hitscan weapons. I find it difficult to adjust if the crosshair "lies."
>>
>>383455283

You don't play Tribes without crosshairs, well you can but they are their to provide a reference point.

There are some games where the gun's design and allow for the ignoring of a crosshair given the visual cues of how it shoots and the shape of a gun. I assume the length of a spingfusor and it's guided track visual design could allow for you to play without a crosshair completely once you learn the muscle memory for a specific gun.

Ironically there is the exact opposite with regards to turning off a crosshair and that is disabling or reducing the size of a weapon model. The latter has more to do with being able to actually see, but the former is again about how players use sensory data vs. simply seeing the game as moving a crosshair over their target.

I don't use discord. What games besides Tribes do you play?
>>
>>383455954

Do you use the dynamic crosshair or the classic static one? What do you think the benefit of the dynamic one is if you already know moving will destroy your % chance of landing a shot? I'm not sure, maybe it is to help newer players understand the drastic impact movement has on accuracy while shooting.

I play CSGO every so often, I have patterns and mechanics memorized so I can contribute to my team. CSGO is a game about looking at the crosshair and ignoring sensory information, mostly. You need the audio cues of footsteps, weapon sounds and arming bombs/taking hostages. This is in addition to making sure to glance around the crosshair to make sure you are not leaving yourself open by not paying attention.

So in that case it I suppose it requires both focus on the crosshair and sensory information though. I don't think you can succeed by entirely blocking out visual cues outside the center of the screen.
>>
>>383455353
I like neon green. It contrasts most art direction in games.
>>
>>383455195
Is the DMS a Chevron?
>>
>>383456573
there's a form of it that is, but most of the time it isn't
>>
File: 1469469963775.jpg (92KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
1469469963775.jpg
92KB, 800x999px
>there could be people on this board, no, IN THIS THREAD RIGHT NOW, who mod crosshairs into games that don't have any
>>
File: 1489128296060.gif (840KB, 468x259px) Image search: [Google]
1489128296060.gif
840KB, 468x259px
>>383457453
>there's a monitor option to add a crosshair to the screen
>>
>>383455059
>>383455992
>>383456336
Every second post you make doesn't need to be a fucking novel. I appreciate that it's legit vidya discussion, but settle your autism.
>>
File: RETCHING RN.jpg (58KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
RETCHING RN.jpg
58KB, 666x666px
>>383457453
Disgusting.
>>
>>383455059
this is normal and dates back as far as the days of quake and rocket juggling.
>>
>>383457682
>a couple sentences is a novel

Dude, your standards are totally fucked. Shit posting in the bane of this board. The fact that you see any sort of exerted effort to be made with such simple discussion shows how the immediacy of communication has shifted your perspective of human interaction.
>>
Dot

That's all you need
>>
>>383457625

>I used to a dot draw on my old 40" CRT TV for MGO2.

Wew lad.
>>
>>383459332
But how do you USE the dot? How does it shift in its role between games.

That is the real interesting discussion to be had. Something so simple and intrinsic to the genre is never really discussed. Maybe because its boring or pointless but it is a facet of game design that is meaningful to some degree.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.