[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/ hates RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 29382752093324.jpg (19KB, 253x172px) Image search: [Google]
29382752093324.jpg
19KB, 253x172px
You faggots have the shittiest fucking taste in games
Give me one solid reason why RPGs are bad
>boring
>confusing
>too long
shittiest arguments I've heard for any game genre
does it really hurt you tiny brains that much to think a little in a game?
is that why you have to resort to calling it shit, because you can't comprehend what you're playing so you give up on it?
>>
Most RPGs are bad because they're not actually RPGs. See Dark Souls or Final Fantasy for example.
>>
There has literally never been an RPG with good gameplay. You can scream "MUH STORY MUH LORE MUH IMMERSHUN" all day, but the fact of the matter is that every RPG is a fucking terrible video game.

>inb4 muh Dark Souls
Action games with stats are not RPGs
>>
>>383452242
Fallout 2, shadowrun, XCOM and divinity original sin all have fun gameplay.
>>
>>383452527
>Fallout 2
Atrocious gameplay
>Shadowrun
Atrocious gameplay
>XCOM
not an RPG
>Divinity
Atrocious gameplay
>>
>>383451950
Its not that they're
>boring
>confusing
>too long
It's that they're terribly paced, have shitty stories and characters, and have really boring and monotonous combat.

Why would you play 40 hours of a JRPG when you could play 4 other games that are paced better and have more redeemable aspects
>>
File: smt3-3.jpg (60KB, 650x449px) Image search: [Google]
smt3-3.jpg
60KB, 650x449px
>>383451950
/v/ has shit taste in general, never take this place's taste too seriously. You can easily tell when someone is genuinely giving criticism and when someone is shitposting.

/v/ is overall just too jaded for the involvement a rpg requires. Basically they play a couple hours and think "wow, this is all the game has to offer" sadly.

Anyway, I tend to make rpg threads around later hours, they tend to go pretty well. I love the genre, both wrpgs and jrpgs, and think they're fun to play.
>>
>>383451950
Self-insertion autism
>>
>>383451950
I like rpgs.
>>
>>383451950

RPGs are fine. It's turn based battles that are terrible. There is nothing fun about exploring a dungeon/cave/plateua or whatever and being bombarded with atrociously boring turn based battles every 10 steps. It's terrible
>>
I like them but I can understand why other people don't.
>>
>>383453507
Then play games with no random encounters.
>>
>>383451950
ATTENTION

REPORT THIS THREAD AND ALL THREADS LIKE IT. /v/ IS FOR VIDEO GAMES, NOT ASSUMING /v/ IS ONE PERSON FOR THE SAKE OF A TROLL THREAD. KEEP /v/ VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>383453680

It's not the fact that they're random is the problem. It's the fact that the battles are turn based. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, these games are still shit despite the battles not being "random", its the battle system itself that is fucking boring
>>
>>383453835
Well then fuck you, I love turn based combat. Just say you don't like turn based, not that random encounters bother you dumbass.
>>
>>383453835
Not who you replied to, but is there any RPG with combat you don't like that has a story engaging enough to play through it all the way?
>>
>>383454070

I said I didn't like turn based, you are the one who brought up random battles
>>
>>383453283
It's such a shame that great games like Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 get bad-mouthed by elitist who are actually idiots.
>>
>>383452039
>Dark Souls is bad meme
>>
File: Rando.jpg (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rando.jpg
29KB, 480x480px
>>383451950
Generally, they have really generic, uninteresting characters/stories/etc.
Most of the settings are just
>Generic medieval shit with little, if any, focus on magic, which is little more than "you can shoot elemental stuff" or "you can make weapons involve elemental stuff"
>Generic medieval shit but with technology (Read: stuff with electric lights on it, guns, and vehicles)
>QUIRKY high school with QUIRKY kids who fight spOoOoOoOky demons
And characters are almost always just generic character tropes with little creativity.
And mechanics are all the same. They're always the same. If you've played one RPG, you already know what 90% of RPGs are exactly like.

I'm not saying all RPGs are like this, and there's a few RPGs that I really love, but there's a good reason it gets such a bad rep, it's painfully stagnant worldwide.
>>
>>383451950
>anything turn based
>anything with QTEs
>anything """interactive"""
It's trash. A product from a bygone era. What's the point of wasting my time trying to esape from my day to day life if I have to flick through menu screens, or mash x in a QTE, or literally let go of my controller cutscene after cutscene, to play a fucking game?
>>
>>383453283
>make a point defending rpgs and /v/'s taste
>Posts SMT for the image
Very conflicting messages here.
>>
RPGs were only a thing in the retro days so companies can make a game with the easiest, most braindead controls that's just navigating a menu. Because the technology wasn't good enough to make anything with half decent controls and decent graphics at the same time.
There is literally 0 reason why a turn based RPG should exist anymore.
>>
>>383451950
>You faggots have the shittiest fucking taste in games
Are you just realizing this? The board is frequented by some of the lousiest types of people, they don't know how to play games. They suck at multiplayer games, they don't know what roleplaying is, they don't get that games are a pastime and not a lifestyle, the most natural things like getting a boner when you see amazing graphics is something totally alien to them, etc. They're mentally stunted kids with their personal lives probably falling down around them.
>>
>>383454659
Nah, I agree fully with his post, but those games are simply garbage
>>
>>383456632
This
>>
>>383452815
well you're just wrong
>>
>>383452242
>gameplay = combat
>>
>>383460764

Not really, I played divinity os and was bored by it's gameplay, traversing the world is a slog. Not to mention what ever depth it's combat could have, died when it failed at its excuse of a "action point" system. There's also the aspect of magic having cool downs on top of it costing ap which makes mages pointless compared to melee.

It's mediocre at best
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.