[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I making any story progress?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 12

File: guide_screen_ds2.jpg (493KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
guide_screen_ds2.jpg
493KB, 1920x1200px
I've been playing the game for 12 hours now and I still haven't hit a single story beat yet...I don't think. I'm up against the Lost Sinner and I'm just wondering...what the fuck am I even reaching for? How will I know when I found it.

Hell, In Dark Souls 1 It was simple: ring the bells and then everything slowly started coming together. All I know in this game I need to assemble "4 great souls".

TLDR: When will I hit a fucking story beat? Am I close?
>>
File: 1493669382393.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493669382393.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
DS3 has very little original content.

Souls vet here, this is my take on things as someone who has obsessively played the shit out of DeS and DaS1 since their respective launches on PS3.

Concepts:

>New Firelink Shrine (DaS3) == The Nexus (DeS)
The resemblance is fucking stunning if you've ever played DeS. Lord Thrones are in the exact same alignment that the archstones are, surrounding where you spawn in, with multiple levels of height within the area accessible by curved staircases.

>Lothric Castle (DaS3) == Boletaria Castle (DeS)
You start the game here, and the climax of the game is here (fighting twin princes/false king allant).

>Karla (DaS3) == Yuria the Witch (DeS)
Karla teaches forbidden hex magic/miracles/pyromancies that channel the power and rage of the abyss, Yuria the Witch teaches forbidden magic that channel the power and rage of demon souls.

> Stormruler (DaS3) == Storm Ruler (DeS)
Used to take down mighty foes with a legendary sword found in the corresponding boss arenas. Yhorm and the Storm King are basically the same type of "puzzle boss" until you find the sword.

Mechanics:

> FP (DaS3) == MP (DeS)
Literally the same exact shit.

> Rolling
Functions the same exact way as DeS, because med rolling was buffed so fucking hard that the difference between fast roling and med rolling is so small that staying right under the fat roll minimum is required for every build.

Case-in-point, DaS3 is super fucking stale for veterans who have been with the series since DeS in 2009/2010. It's literally because the game is around 50% recycled DaS content, 30% recycled DeS content, 10% recycled bloodborne content, and 10% original content.
>>
you have to get all the 4 BIG ORANGE SOULS
>>
>>383442437

The game will say something like "great soul obtained" or some shit. The lost sinner is one of 4.

Also be prepared to be told the game is shit.
>>
>>383442685
Quality post, but can you tell me anything about Dark Souls 2?
>>
>>383442709
Just to walk past a pile of rubble
>>
>>383442437
Shalquoir has insight on these four souls if you talk to her. You'll know who your fighting when you think back to her descriptions.
>>
File: 2016-01-05_00005.jpg (295KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-05_00005.jpg
295KB, 1920x1080px
>>383442437
DS2 has quite a bit more story than the other two games. You can stay up to speed by talking to Shalquoir (the cat) but the meat of the story you really gotta pay attention to piece everything together.
>>
>>383442437
>All I know in this game I need to assemble "4 great souls".
You're currently fighting one.
>>
>>383442437
DS2 is non canon, just skip to the superior game DS3
>>
>>383442714
She is? That's awesome. And it only took 12 goddamn hours. Also, this game is on the whole easier than the first game. It's slower and feels a bit weighty. It took awhile to get used to it along with fighting mobs. Seems you can't pull like you could in the first game?
>>
>>383443047
then how do DS2 landmarks make it into the canon world of DS3 ?
>>
>>383443047

It is though
>>
>>383443087
The Lost Sinner is the easiest to get to.
I actually rather liked that DS2 was more open ended than the other games, even though a lot of the level transitions didn't make much physical sense.
>>
>>383443087
Wait until you get to late game areas/dlc's. There is a pretty noticeable shift in difficulty.
>>
File: 2014-09-24_00038.jpg (178KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-24_00038.jpg
178KB, 1366x768px
>>383442437
I honestly can't remember if there's a story beat before collecting the 4 Great Souls, but afterwards what I think you're looking for is the Shrine of Winter.
>>
>>383442909
>>383442923
Ah...I didn't bother talking to her much after browsing her inventory. Guess I need to start doing that. Figures, I talk to everyone but her.
>>
>>383443257
Well I almost beat her on my first go but when I ran out of Estus I began to slip up and got killed. I enjoy the many locations I've visited, but I just wish I knew If I wad on the right track.
>>383443271
Don't tell me you have to fight multiple enemies at once..? There's already been alot of that. Like the Royal Swordsmen in the Lost Bastile. Jesus.
>>
>>383443087
Any game that isn't your first Souls game will seem easy. DeS was my first Souls game so Drake & Josh were the first real difficulty spike in DS1. I actually got stuck on them for a while but I had a friend who'd started as a pyromancer and once he got me investing in the pyro flame that game changed forever.
>>
File: Bump.png (128KB, 636x295px) Image search: [Google]
Bump.png
128KB, 636x295px
>>383442437
Today I will tell them that dark souls 2 is still the biggest ass in the entire franchise
DaS=bloodborne>DaS3>DeS>>>>>>>>DaS2
>>
File: Visiting dsg.png (68KB, 661x953px) Image search: [Google]
Visiting dsg.png
68KB, 661x953px
>>383443751
>OP: Hey guys am I close to anything major in this game?
>(you): Here's my ranking of the series that the game you're talking about is a part of.
>>
File: ds3 babbies at it again.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ds3 babbies at it again.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>383443751
In this thread we list things Dark Souls 2 did that were far better than Dark Souls 3. I'll start:

>No bonfire and no death challenge where you can beat the game without resting at a bonfire or dying to gain a reward and bragging rights

>Non-linear first half of the game allows you to rush straight to the areas of the game that contain the items for your build

>Chugging Estus immobilizes you, and the heal isn't instantaneous meaning trying to chug while someone is sticking close to you will result in death

>Stamina regeneration is tied to weight, so a character at 10% burden will recover their bar faster than a character at 70% burden, giving an advantage and a reason to make a low burden character

>Poise exists and armor provides relevant, but not overpowering damage reduction, giving an advantage and a reason to make a high burden character

>Phantoms and Dark Spirits cannot chug estus, spirits can only heal via spell useage which is slow. This makes fighting outnumbered even without mob assistance possible since any damage you do sticks

>Can only perform four rolls before running out of stamina

>Can only perform 5 attacks of a rapier or straight sword before running out of stamina

>Parrying has longer recovery frames and consumes more stamina, making parry fishing riskier and makes parrying require higher skill

>Power stance allowing for unique combinations of dual wielding and unlocking an alternative moveset for weapons

>Being able to use the full moveset of a weapon in your off-hand including running, rolling, backstepping, etc. attacks rather than just being able to do a basic R1 swing and blocking with the weapon as it is in Ds3 (lmao who would ever want to weapon block)

>Bell Tower covenant providing two unique optional areas to PvP for Titanite Chunks, Slabs, and Twinkling, making farming for upgrades fun

>Bonfire ascetics to replay bosses you like and or gain items from NG+ and beyond without grinding through the whole game again
>>
File: DS2map3 with DLC area_links.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DS2map3 with DLC area_links.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
here's a map if you need it
>>
Upvoted
>>
>>383443710
Yeah, get used to that quick cause you are in for a lot more. Especially if you are playing SotFS.

I recommend keeping a couple different weapons that do different damage types, i.e. strike, thrust, and slash. Once you get used to swapping between 2 or 3 weapons it can really make a big difference when you are outnumbered
>>
File: 1499330156131.jpg (122KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1499330156131.jpg
122KB, 500x375px
>>383443751
This
Anyone that says otherwise is just trolling for the sake of it.
>>
File: wake me up.jpg (13KB, 191x181px) Image search: [Google]
wake me up.jpg
13KB, 191x181px
>>383442437
>start das1 last year, never played souls
>takes me a month or so of off and on play, but I love it, think about other playthroughs but figure i should beat the series first
>start das2
>instantly wowed by the combat improvements
>over time it just gets to me how boring level design is and how annoying enemy placement is
>push through, think "hey, this isn't garbage like people say" since it's just not as good as the original
>get to the winter dlc
>beat most of it
>a friend tells me you can talk to the queen or whoever in it if you get a massive amount of the loyce souls from the burnt gecko looking knights
>double check he's not bullshitting
>fuck
>grind for a month off and on tryign to get enough loyce souls
>get bored
>give up
>haven't touched a souls game since because I want to beat das2 first, but also want to get through all the content possible on a first playthrough

Haha
>>
>>383443713
>Drake and Josh
I actually stopped there and decided to play Dark Souls 2. Imagine my surprise when I met Ornstein again who I beat on my first try. I'm playing as a light armored swordsman and things are going smoothly.
>>
>>383444323
cuck
>>
>>383444178
I keep a couple of weapons in my inventory mainly because weapon durability is a bitch. Are the differences in physical attacks(slash/thrust/strike) noticable this game? Because I've mostly been using the Scimitar and a Fire Longsword.
>>
>>383442714
Please stop defending this pile of shit.

All of you faggots know that DaS1 was the only good DaS game.
>>
File: killyourself.png (656KB, 1015x749px) Image search: [Google]
killyourself.png
656KB, 1015x749px
>>383442685
>Souls vet here
>>
>playing dark souls 2 fucking fags 1v1 me on Minecraft
>>
>>383444457
>I'm playing as a light armored swordsman
I hope you're powerstancing.
>>
I enjoyed every souls games, they all have it's pro and cons. I just don't understand why would anyone go on the internet and ruin their experience by asking people what to do in their game. I still remember the first time I played Demon's Souls on a halloween event with pure black world tendency without even knowing it was an event or what it meant, I wish I could erase my memory and play that game again for the first time just one more time.
>>
File: IMG_0404.jpg (17KB, 220x263px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0404.jpg
17KB, 220x263px
You just have to pay close attention to understand what's happening, and by saying pay attention I mean look it up. Seriously, a literary professor isn't going to be able to make sense of it all in one play through, and that goes for all souls games
>>
>>383445748
Oh hell yes. I also use a shield when nesessary but primarily I dual wield and fast roll.
>>
>>383445823
I can respect that. It's not even that I don't know what I'm doing...the Emerald Herald was clear on the goal... but 12 hours without hitting a story beat, that was jarring to me.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.