[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will Sony ever make another handheld? I would wait in line to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: The best handheld ever made.jpg (267KB, 1020x610px) Image search: [Google]
The best handheld ever made.jpg
267KB, 1020x610px
Will Sony ever make another handheld? I would wait in line to buy one day one to be honest. The PS Vita is amazing, bar its slightly clunky ui and overabundance of gimmicks.

Give us a new one, Sony! I need a new handheld!
>>
>>383415728
What do you want out of a PSP3 that you cant get from your phone?
>>
File: No PS Vita 2.png (377KB, 630x1725px) Image search: [Google]
No PS Vita 2.png
377KB, 630x1725px
>>383415728
Probably not. Sony doesn't seem interested in continuing with handhelds with their current business model.
>>
>>383415847
Tactile buttons and actually good software, including PS exclusives.
>>
Just make a ps4 portable
>>
>>383416090
I doubt more AAA games would've saved the console though.
I think the Vita failure is due to multiple factors rather than (only) the lack of good games, especially in the west since in Japan the console and games sales are still great.
>>
File: 354132.jpg (750KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
354132.jpg
750KB, 3000x2000px
>>383416170
the problem is video games cost a shit ton of money to make regardless of the console its developed on so if devs are going to spend literally millions of dollars they want their best chance at making that money back so why shoot for a smaller crowd when you can just develop for the PS4 or the smartphone. Plus you're taking your game idea and saying fuck it lets develop for hardware that isnt as good as home console and we'll have to detune the game and make it look like shit.

idk man handhelds are awkward
>>
>>383415728
>150$ price max
>cheap memory cards
>no ps+ required for multiplayer
>ports of all good PSP and Vita games
>support for EMU without hassle for hacking it
>IPS screen
>no rear touchpad bullshit
>some decent exclusives and spin-offs of prominent ps4 titles to please normies

It would def succeed
>>
File: 1498808578206.png (184KB, 457x396px) Image search: [Google]
1498808578206.png
184KB, 457x396px
>good 720+ resolution
>natural emulation of PS2 games or at least ALL PS2 games released on it's download store
>L2/R2 for full PS2 control
sold, I just want portable PS2 - it was the best era of exploring possibilities in vidya before the suits took over and forced everything to be the stalest, safest cashcow possible.

given tech these days that's easily do-able and cheaper than the switch, so undercuts ahoy. since it doesn't demand much graphically games can be made by indie/startup devs trying new things for cheap.

nier automata is probably the first game in nearly five years that actually got me gleefully enjoy playing a game. It's not the prettiest, but it's fun to play with lots of combo potential, great music, interesting world and story. tons of replay value. it's a shame we don't get more games like this anymore. just FPS #651,134 in flat earth
>>
>>383420389
This is just a theory, because I'm not 100% sure of the Vita's specs but someone DID discover a MIPS processor in the CPU die, for PS1 and PSP backwards compatibility.

Now, if someone figures out 100% of the system calls, and the MIPS processor isn't encapsulated within the PSP pseudofirmware, as in it can actually speak to the main ARM processor, then PS2 emulation on Vita would be VERY well within range and not even require huge sacrifices. The main issue would be actually writing the thing, because PCSX2 is a mess and is intended for altogether different architecture.
>>
>>383418420
>>cheap memory cards

It's funny how you fucks still don't realize you could have a system without memory cards
>>
>>383415728
>tfw vita is finally getting Sd card adapters
>>
>>383421840
explain
>>
File: smart_pig.jpg (329KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
smart_pig.jpg
329KB, 1200x797px
>>383415728
>Will Sony ever make another handheld?
Definitely not. Nintendo simply have too many franchises and too much third party support for any company to compete with that.
>>
>>383416858
How about the pitfall where they rape you when buying storage for the thing.
>>
>>383423079
>too much third party support

Really? Besides, are you actually arguing monopolies are good?
>>
>>383423486
For their handhelds they have plenty of third party support, nobody can argue otherwise. If a monopoly is good or bad, I think it's a good thing if everything is one system because it's cheaper. It depends more on what company has a monopoly. If it was a company like Valve or EA it'd be a bad thing.
>>
>>383423661
>I think it's a good thing if everything is one system because it's cheaper

Do you even economics bro?
>>
File: 1487325335605.jpg (219KB, 1921x1323px) Image search: [Google]
1487325335605.jpg
219KB, 1921x1323px
>>383415728
Yes.

Recent patent reveal
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56325/sony-patents-new-playstation-vita-handheld/index.html

Many job ads for new sony console manufacturing
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20012679.html
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20015534.html
>>
>>383424076
Well, it is cheaper. Previously it was Ninty console + handheld, then Sony hand their Sony console + handheld. So that's 4 systems to buy if you want to buy everything. It's also easier/cheaper for developers because then there's one handheld to focus on and costumers get more games.
>>
>>383417417
Except the whole point and advantage of handheld software is far smaller scope, teams, budget and development time.
>>
File: sonycommercialpatent-6yqkz.jpg (85KB, 1232x960px) Image search: [Google]
sonycommercialpatent-6yqkz.jpg
85KB, 1232x960px
>>383424220
I hope you know patents are just for claiming ownership and it doesn't solidify any actual intent to do anything.
>>
File: Switch-Patent-Shot-06.png (129KB, 1590x600px) Image search: [Google]
Switch-Patent-Shot-06.png
129KB, 1590x600px
>>383424457
Yeah likewise
>>
>>383424457
MCDONALD'S!
>>
>>383417417
Except in the reality we live in right now handhelds have good games and phones do not.
>>
>>383424273
That's not how it works but I don't want to spend any more time explaining it.
>>
>>383424772
Then shut up. I'm right anyways. Even if it was just 2 handhelds it'd cost more to buy 2 handhelds than 1.
>>
>>383421840
>>383422175
NIGGA EXPLAIN
>>
>>383424457
So if people scream Mcdonalds at their tv to skip commercials, they're likely to crave mcdonalds? That's some wicked shit.
>>
>>383424950
I just googled and it's bullshit, only works if you have a 3g vita and henkaku.
>>
>>383415728
>its slightly clunky ui
Jesus, this. I bought one the other day. It's fucking perfect asides that UI. Can you skip having to swipe to close things?
>>
>>383424772
If you don't have any reasoning to give besides just saying that it's not good, you don't have much of an argument.
>>
No, there's another one that plugs into the game card slot
>>
>>383424927
There's even a real life example of why you're so dead wrong: the original 3DS. Try being a less more jaded and it might just click why monopoly is the devil for customers. Nintendo are not some good guys who care about good value, and we fan see how Sony can be greedy when it's not forced to compete. Take your head out your ass.
>>
>>383424950
http://wololo.net/2017/07/02/microsd-game-card-adapater-becoming-reality-thanks-reddit-member/
There's a few people working on the same thing but this is pretty much it.
Micro SD goes into a gamecard-shaped adaptor and goes into the gamecard slot
Due to Henhaku's patching or something the console will read the memory card from there instead.
>>
>>383425361
Sony isn't a good example because they've always been greedy. Nintendo have never been like that and never will be. And I don't think they're "good", they're just good at running a business and have good prices for their products.
>>
>>383415728
The vita was dead on arrival and stayed so for many many years before it slowly revived into an half undead state.
>>
>>383425642
Fuck off, should have known you were another jaded fanboy.

How come Sony is so greedy if Greatest Hits/Platinum were a defacto price drop for the popular games? Has Nintendo ever done something like that barring a couple of Wii games? The only time I saw a cheap first party Nintendo game is when it was used. Does Nintendo have sales that are as frequent as the ones on PSN? Don't think so unless you paid dosh to get gold club. If anything a Nintendo monopoly would be the worst timeline, doesn't stop any monopoly being bad.
>>
>>383415728
The PSP is the greatest handheld ever made and, while I've only owned one less than a month, I'd say the Vita makes a good case for #2 on that list. I can't believe I waited so long to get this glorious little machine.

Sadly I don't think we're ever going to get a new Sony handheld though, all the normies play mobileshit now.
>>
File: nintendo-selects-3.jpg (265KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-selects-3.jpg
265KB, 1600x900px
>>383426296
Yes. Yes they have.

PSN does sales on a service that costs $60 a year. Nintendo's planning the same thing for their $20 a year service, and they already do eShop sales.
>>
I'll say this about the vita. The D-Pad on the thing is the best ever made.

Thumb sticks could have been slightly bigger, I just feel like I have to be too dexterous to use them.
>>
>>383415728
Get a Switch. It's already gobbling up all the indie darlings and Jap-centric games (VNs, JRPGs, etc.) that made the Vita worth little more than dirt. Plus, Nintendo will support it with 1st party content.

>inb4 Non Vita owner
Bought one day one. Great technology, piss poor non-weeb support. And Sony practically left it for dead after one year of 1st party support.
>>
>>383427720
>PSN does sales on a service that costs $60 a year

Nope, do you even own a Sony console? Stop spouting shit. Good thing about Nintendo selects, or should I say better late than ever since it's a recent thing (with a couple of Wii games I was talking about NS) while GH dates back to PS1, glad they're finally doing it, even though I fail to see any in the 200 mile range (only ones I did see were the Wii ones).

Still, the e-shop sales never struck me as something I could really go crazy for, ESPECIALLY for retro titles.
>>
>>383428616
Their non-member sales are about in line with Nintendo's regular eShop deals. The big ones require the paid service. Nintendo's been doing Nintendo Selects for a while now, and they drop the eShop price to match them. Not appealing to you isn't any reason to ignore them as a factor and act like Nintendo doesn't do it. In general, games that get big price drops are ones that are having a hard time selling at their current price points.
>>
>>383430064
>The big ones require the paid service.

The ones that require the paid service not more than often just suck dick. Congrats displaying your proficiency with PSN.

I didn't even say Nintendo didn't do them (recently) but they're a far cry from the heavenly company you're painting. And still doesn't excuse any form of monopoly from any side.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.