[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this so hard for modern devs to do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 20170709133140_1.jpg (520KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170709133140_1.jpg
520KB, 1920x1080px
Why is this so hard for modern devs to do?
>>
mirror.webm
>>
>>383403579
The pessimistic answer to this is that they're lazy and can't be bothered with modeling something that one instinctually ignores in their vision irl. Afterall, what game has the blind spot of a nose in the lower edge of your vision?

The optimistic answer is that they want to prioritize control and gameplay and will not compromise it in any way for the sake of animations.
>>
>>383403579
It's one of those things that the majority thinks is pointless. I personally dislike it just because it tends to obstruct my view when trying to aim at something below me, and it never actually looks good.
>>
>>383404391
this
they could easily do it, but why should they bother?
to appease few autists like OP? Majority won't care or even notice
>>
>>383404391
>>383404713

Yeah I've never been bothered by the absence of feet or player shadow in games because in real life I don't admire the mere existence of my legs or shadow.
>>
Because of casuals like
>>383404391
>>383404713
>>383405137
>>
It's not hard. It's just unnecessary. Immersionfags are cancer
>>
I think they just don't care enough. Which sadly is the main problem with game devs.
>>
>>383405580
>>383404391

>i don't like to have a clear point of reference to where i'm actually standing even if i have to walk in very narrow passages and ledges

any FPS that has you walk next to a chasm you can fall to your death to should fucking have legs
>>
>>383405580
>unnecessary
>>
>>383405580
> t. floating head with a gun where his chest cavity should be
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOxieWCmDY
>>
File: 1355192759712.jpg (490KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1355192759712.jpg
490KB, 900x720px
>>383406374
>I'm a shitter
>>
>>383406441
This is my fetish
>>
>>383406374
Is it common to have such little spatial awareness that after hours of playing you still can't tell where your character is standing without literally looking down at its legs? I personally have had no problem whatsoever with the dreaded "first person platforming". In fact I think 3rd person in some cases might make platforming harder because the external camera has a different field of view and might distort distances compared to 1st person.

>>383406580
I'll take an absence of legs with fluid and responsive controls over fancy-looking animations with clunky and restricted movement any day of the week. Every animation, be it for the player character or an NPC, restricts its range of actions. If something is fully animated, it can only do the actions that have animations. If more functions or mechanics are added, more animations are needed. That's why games these days have become so restrictive when it comes to navigating levels. When you just have a floating camera, you can make your character do almost anything without compromising mechanical design or control.
>>
>>383404217
>what game has the blind spot of a nose in the lower edge of your vision?
Not everyone is Jewish
>>
>>383407420
>Is it common to have such little spatial awareness that after hours of playing you still can't tell where your character is standing without literally looking down at its legs?

so long as you have an immediate visual reference of where the "down" direction is it's not a big problem, it's particularly bad when you have to make jumps and get as much distance as you can.
>>
>>383407430
Yet apparently at least someone is Voldemort.
>>
its not a priority so why do it at all, it saves money not doing it and not many people notice it
>>
>>383407612
Hmm... as I said I've never had a problem with judging jump distances without visual legs. You might want to consider the possibility that you're just a shitter.
>>
>>383404713
>but why should they bother?
This is the problem with the games industry, developers used to have to work hard to squeeze the most out of limited hardware and make the best products they possibly could but now they put the effort into cutting corners and finding the fastest, cheapest way of making something that's "good enough" instead
>>
>>383404217
IIRC it's less about being lazy with modeling (tons of FPS games have third person models afterall) but more about camera hijinks.
You have to synch and adjust animations for example to the camera otherwise shit starts clipping everywhere and once you add something like an FOV slider to the mix then things can get seriously messed up.
>>
>>383406374
All good games have it set up so that when looking directly downwards your crosshair indicates where you'll fall off.

Meanwhile how is having animated feet supposed to help you position yourself to the very edge of a ledge?
>>
>>383404217
They're definitely not lazy. Game development is obviously an extremely time consuming, tiresome process. The real question is:

>why are game designers (the people who get to make the decisions) not prioritizing this feature?

And the answer is mostly that players, while appreciating the detail, will not give a game overall more attention, buy more copies or rate it better for having a first person model. It's not a gameplay feature and it's not crucial for selling a game with screenshots or videos. And if it's not graphics or gameplay then why would designers risk the completion of other aspects of a game in favor of this detail? The only other thing that gets funding these days is story shit and that's also done based on sales expectations (it works because it's good for marketing, it's like putting a sex scene in a movie that doesn't need one).

I know exactly where OP is coming from. After playing a few games that had player legs (Halo, Dark Messiah, Crysis, Mirror's Edge) I thought it would surely become an industry standard soon. Here we are a decade later and the mainstream of FPS still have no player body. Destiny didn't have it, Overwatch doesn't have it. BF and COD never adopted it, and Halo died with the Xbox 360.

Aside from costing dev time, there are also two problems:
1. Clipping / odd proportions. If you use "fake arms" like most games then crouching will have your legs looking oddly big / arms and weapon oddly small when looking down. If you use "real arms" like Dark Messiah then your arms can straight up clip with the legs. Both options suck.
2. For your contact with the ground practically all games use a single point in the center under your model. This leads to your legs hovering in the air every time you get close to an edge and look down. There goes the whole "immersion" bonus.
Problem 1 is solvable by using "real arms" and perfecting the animations. Problem 2 is impossible to solve without restricting player movement in some way.
>>
File: 2017-06-27_00001.jpg (1001KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-27_00001.jpg
1001KB, 1920x1080px
>>383403579
clipping issues, player's camera movement limitation and, basically, it looks retarded
>>
>>383410385
>Destiny didn't have it
But it does though. Please actually research before you shit talk.
>>
File: 1469436989416.png (228KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469436989416.png
228KB, 640x480px
>>
>>383411959
nvm, Destiny was made by a bug alien wearing Bungie's skin as a suit so yeah, it had a player body. I didn't play that trash game, my bad.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.