[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else have a medical issue or physical disability that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 1289269456520.gif (377KB, 514x601px) Image search: [Google]
1289269456520.gif
377KB, 514x601px
Anyone else have a medical issue or physical disability that affects your ability to play games? Do you have any interesting work-arounds? I mean stuff like poor motor control, color blindness, epilepsy, motion sickness etc. I feel like we don't talk about the importance of shit like accessibility options since nobody wants to admit to being an invalid.

Personally I have issues with a lot of 3D games giving me motion sickness, with first person shooters and games that run at 30fps and under having the most potential to cause issues. It's not worth it to me to feel so sick I have to buy pills at the pharmacy just to play so I buy games physically so that I can return them if there's an issue.

>inb4 half of you claim to have autism
>>
>>383377539
Autism
>>
>>383377539
I'm Gay
>>
Poor fine motoric skills, which seem to be linkened to minor neurological disorder that also causes severe dysgraphia and, at least this is what two different neurologists claimed to me, might be the reason for my severe anxiety and depression issues.

Only the poor fine motoric skills affect my gaming habits in any meaningful way - though I would probably make me REALLY suck Typing of the Dead.

I deal with it by not playing games that require fine twitch skills too much, or playing them on lower difficulty. I generally end up enjoying games where timed, precision input isn't vital to success: turn based games, games that allow you to rely on pause heavily etc... It's all a matter of getting used to the idea that I'm probably never going to be good at PC shooters or fighting games or competetive at RTS games. In fact I'm probably not going to be competetive in anything but chess in my life.

That is all, really. I can play almost anything, but when it comes to fine twitch skill based games I'll never be good at them. Which of course does limit my enjoyment of them to a degree. I also just don't like those games for the most part - and I don't know if I dislike them because I can't get good at them ever, or if that is merely coincidental.
>>
>>383377539
Completely deaf, have been since birth so I don't really understand sounds, music and such but that makes playing some games harder for me when audible cues are what prevent you from dying/being ambushed. I pretty much have to go with what my friend tells me via sign language about how good a games music is or the voices
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmqarQRSSE

Not me obviously but related. I seems like a game would just be arbitrary button presses if you can't see the screen so I don't really understand why he'd make the effort, but I think the way he manages it is interesting.
>>
>>383377539
I'm a straight white male in the west, the most hated thing possible to exist.

Pls donate to my patreon.
>>
>>383377539
I had cancer that sent me into a mountain of medical debt so now I have to work 3 jobs and still can't afford video games.
>>
>>383378028
>dysgraphia

Holy shit a dysgraphia bro.

Whenever I speak about it all I get is confused looks.
>>
>>383379689
Sargon?
>>
>>383379995
>>383378028
woah same
>>
>>383377539
i have PKC
i forget what it stands for
if someone calls my name unexpectedly i lose control of my body and cant move properly
it also happens if i make and sudden moves like if i get up too fast after sitting down for a while
>>
I experience teleopsia on occasion. When I was younger reading small print could trigger it but now it happens every time I fight The Four Kings. Somethings to do with my depth perception.
>>
>>383380872
This sounds fake enough to be a real thing
>>
>>383377539
Developped hyperacusis last september. Got it fixed a good part with a chiropractor. But I always had, and still have problem with Mario games. High pitched noises destroy my ears. I noticed jap games used more high sounds especially in menus.
>>
>>383377539
My ADHD medication makes me really low and drained in the evenings, so I never game during school days any more (not that I have any left). When I DON'T take my medication I can't play a game for more than, at most, two hours per day. If I'm stuck on a boss or something I'll end up playing that game for several days, because I'll be taking huge breaks in between each fight. I also never play games for much more than a hundred hours.
>>
>>383377539
Clicking joint in right thumb.
>>
>>383381308
>High pitched noises destroy my ears.
Sounds like Game Boy classics like Link's Awakening or the Gen I Pokémon would be your worst enemy then.
>>
>>383377539
Epilepsy. Under control with medication for the most part right now, maybe have 1 seizure per month. Not affected by flashing lights, don't really know what triggers it. 1 year ago it wasn't so great I had seizures while playing dota so I stopped playing it, thought it might have triggered it. Few months later I had to go hospital for telemetry where they measure brain activity over a couple days with the intention of inducing seizures. I tried playing dota then but I actually felt fine so think might have been a coincidence the first time. Been fine since then, with games at least. Had a shitty few months where I would have a seizure every night but for the most part I would be okay during the days.
>>
>>383381120
Yea brain can do some weird shit, my doctor told me about a patient with epilepsy who only had seizures when she heard the opening to a specific tv show.
>>
>>383379995
>Holy shit a dysgraphia bro.
I would not consider it something to bond over. However - here is a fun thing. I did not understand what dysgraphia was until I started typing a whole lot more than I would write by hand. And it was then when I realized: I'm making EXACTLY the same mistakes (letter or word subtractions or substitutions, for an example) that I do make when I write by hand.

For an instance: I always used to write "d" instead of "b" when I wrote by hand. I also always thought that this is because the two symbols are similar visually.

But then I discovered that I do the EXACT SAME THING when I type on the computer, despite the fact that the actual shape of the letter has no fucking relevance it mechanical typing.
And it was that point when I realized the issue is with wires crossed in by brain. I know exactly how to write each or where each is on the keyboard: but my brain literally systematically activates the "b" circuitry where it's supposed to activate "d" one and vice versa.

Quite an interesting realization about the problem. Made me realize it's not just sloppiness, it's literally crossed wires instead.
>>
>>383377539
I'm fat
>>
>>383383742
I had forgotten how bad I was because it's less noticeable on a PC and I've been out of school for years with the only time I wrote was my name.

Now that I've went back to school it's resurfaced again in my note taking and it's awful.
>>
I get motion sickness in first person games if the FOV is too narrow
>>
>>383383942
The worst thing about this is that I actually always had (and still have) serious writing ambitions. And I'm told that as long as there is an actual proof-reader consistently checking everything I write, I'm not half bad at it.

But in order to actually make some kind of living or profit in it, I'd have to write in large volumes and often within time restraints.
Meaning that this stupid fucking shit is basically completely hampering my chances at doing what very much has been my dream fucking job.

Well, but enough of these sentiments.
>>
Blind in one eye.
Hard to measure distance so it's hard to shoot in FPS, platform, drive.
No 3D either. Not really sure if VR will work for me as well.
Friends wanted to go to Universal one summer and they have all this 3D shit so I had to sit there and act like things are happening.
>>
>>383377539
I'm colorblind. Mine is mild.
I see a weaker red than most, and that makes me have trouble with green/yellow, green/orange, orange/yellow, blue/purple, and sometimes I see shades of pink kind of greyish.

Most of the time this is not a problem with games, as rarely do they have something that requires you to discern the colors. Even with color-based puzzles, it's not too often that they choose shades that I'll mix.
The most recent incident I had with that was while playing Danganronpa 2, I could not see the difference between a yellow gummie and a green one, so I was kind of stuck on that until the trial mechanics forced me to realize that that was the case.
>>
Bad reaction time, bad nerves, bad memory, probably due to medication for depression, or just the depression itself. I will never be good at fighting games or musical instruments that require muscle memory.
>>
>>383382486
Holy shit man.
Epilepsy is one of the things I fear finding out I have/developing the most.
Every time I see something that is seizure inducing I get mildly uncomfortable just from the thought.
>>
No disability just shit at video games
>>
>>383377539
I'm a straight white male that still thinks capitalism works instead of communism
>>
>>383386201
being dumb with spatial-awareness doesn't mean that you have a disability.
>>
I am mute, don't really need any workarounds in games, chat is decent enough workaround as is. I can hear still so i can hang out in voice chat and do girly moans and shit if i feel like it.
>>
File: 1496209349821.jpg (192KB, 707x540px) Image search: [Google]
1496209349821.jpg
192KB, 707x540px
>>383386587
But don't they sound all fucked up and retarded?
>>
I recently almost cut off my finger, so my hand is wrapped for another week or so.

The experience has really opened my eyes. Disabled people got it rough, I'm bored as shit.
>>
>>383379689
God blesd
>>
File: 1499407248015.gif (22KB, 76x107px) Image search: [Google]
1499407248015.gif
22KB, 76x107px
>>383377539
add + low blood pressure

as soon as I start getting faint noticing shit at a distance in shit like arma and pubg is impossible
Reaction time can get fucked sometimes, so I got real shit at arena fpsgames after highschool
>>
Mild color blind. Usually devs are smart enough not to shit things up, but every so often I'll come across a game that is literally unplayable. Bioshock 2 before the patch and Trauma Center is still impossible for me to beat.
>>
>>383378303
Yeah, ok. "Deaf" how did you type this then? Faggot lol
>>
>>383387391
They do if you are born mute, my vocal cords are damaged by physical trauma, it is not that bad if you make an effort. Don't do this all that often anyway, mostly in MMOs for pity points.
>>
>>383377539
i have to restart the game a dozen times so autism
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.