[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come we don't talk about this game very often? The writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

How come we don't talk about this game very often? The writing and story is pretty good, and has very solid gameplay. I always thought this series was consistently great.
>>
Sly 2 is absolutely god-tier. Still my favorite of all time.
>>
>dude jump and hit the circle button to automate most of your platforming
>dude minigames
>dude pointless double jump
>now play as these other characters that aren't nearly as polished or interesting
>>
Absolutely unpolished bait
>>
>>383299452
In 2, The characters were quite fleshed out. Playing as them in each mission was really fun. Plus, they did really well with a lot of the mini-games and it really was a good way to change the pace at times. The separation of characters and mini-games made the game pretty good with it's diverse pacing
>>
The thing I think the games did well was that Heist movie feel with recon > Odd jobs > Final heist.
>>
>>383300590
The music and environments really helped, specially in Sly 2. The Paris level music was just amazing for sneaking.
>>
>>383300194
Ah yes, Bentley "boringly tranq everyone from across the map" Turtle and Murray "the worst beat em up you'll ever play" Hippo. Don't forget those minigames like Pilot The RC Chopper Around, Again and Fucking Turret Minigame #214.
>>
>>383299132
Oh perfect, I just picked up 2 and 3 second-hand, can I just dive into 2 or should I wait till I can get my hands on 1?
>>
>>383301156
I recently replayed through sly 2. The RC Helicopter was actually pretty easy, and the turret would've been better if it didn't take so long. Each of the characters contribute to the story and gameplay quite well.

>>383301367
Hmmm.. If you can emulate, pick up PCX2 and play 1 first. Definitely my favorite of all of them, it's easily shorter than the other games but the story and writing are the best in the series I believe.
>>
>>383301156
>Not going full demolitions expert and lure enemies into your bombs with your speed
>Not jumping off a building and belly flopping onto your foes
>>
>>383301156
>There's like 3 turret parts in the entirety of the game
>Being this much of a hyperbolic faggot
>>
I loved the first one. I'm not sure I could replay it though. I just didn't like 2 or 3 at all.
>>
>>383301557
I also recently replayed Sly 2 (dropped it around the second contessa level (as a kid my favorite level was the alpine train one btw)) and I think the other characters don't add much. God I would much rather have one character who plays well who has mechanics that are explored well that challenges the player, not amateur variety gimmick hour. And Sly 3 and 4 ramp up this shit even more and it drives me up the wall.

And seriously why are you fanboys ignoring how awful the platforming is? Double jump is so pointless, it just slows down the platforming and wears out my controllers faster, and the blue sparkles are so awful and make jumping around so safe and lame. You can close your eyes and jump and circle button. Sly snaps to those objects like a Tony Hawk character to a grind. Except in Tony Hawk it makes sense since you're moving so fast.
>>
@383302262
>and wears out my controllers faster
Now I know this is just bait. Either that or serious autismo.
>>
>>383302681
That like was a joke, yes, a point that it doubles the amount of inputs while adding nothing to the game. By the way a handy tip for using 4Chan, click on the number at the top of a post to link to in when you reply, makes threads easier to navigate.
>>
>>383302262
I never took Sly 2 as a platformer, I just took as an adventure semi stealth game.

Also Bently is fun when you place mines ahead of the enemies.
>>
>Complains about double jump in a platformer
>Boosts the height of your jump
>Adds nothing to the game
>Is unironically too lazy to press a button twice in a rapid succession
I can see you are bending over backwards for that (You). Keep trying friendo.
>>
>>383303164
The way the objective markers spoon feed everything you have to do, it's not really a good adventure. A good adventure is all about discovery and doing things for yourself. And as a stealth game it's a really simple Pac-Man like deal of avoiding the light beams, making it all about the platforming aspect to avoid the beams. So no, at its core Sly 2 is a platformer just as the game before it.

>>383303454
>>Boosts the height of your jump
>>Adds nothing to the game
The double jump in the Sly games barely adds any air and it gives only a tiny amount of air control. A better game would've just made your first jump go higher depending on how long you hold the button down. Wow! That's Super Mario Bros. right there, how old is that game? The Sly series also has an ugly lack of jump momentum which makes all the platforming feel sort of sluggish. Go boot up a game and feel how Sly jumps from walking vs how he jumps from sprinting. It feels the same. Super Mario's got momentum for days, you know. I will admit that the rocket skates feel pretty fun to zoom around in. Those should've been part of Sly's core kit instead of a bonus thing. Those bonus moves. There's so bizarre and imbalanced.
>>
would have been great if it werent for those fucking retarded minigames.
>>
>>383304031
Did you forget the Clue bottles or the treasures?
>>
Is it strange that this is the only game I've played so far that has successfully pulled off the heist format for me? And I've played a lot of games across many platforms that try this but they always feel like they just turn into 3rd person shooters in the end or in the case of GTAV, barely feel interactive and more importantly has almost no fucking heists in the game.
>>
>>383306659
I think its rating helps with that, since it focuses less on shooting and more of being sneaky.
>>
>>383306659

well, there's nothing else quite like it. Say Payday would like you to think it's all about heisting but it's just left 4 dead 2 but with gun-wielding cop reskins, and terrible design decisions in 2
>>
This was the first game I played that had commentary, the idea of that blew my mind. More games should do that.
>>
>>383307130

I loved the completely casual talking sessions between the devs for each level after you completed them. Was such a nice addition that I want more devs to do
>>
>>383307115

Payday is what I had in mind when referring to 3rd person shooters. In Payday the "heist" is in the first 5 minutes of a level and then the rest is this bizarre reskin of a horde shooter with police instead of zombies. The enemies don't even behave like people they just charge you like lemmings, whole thing is retarded.

Of course, I'm not against shooting being a major mechanic in a heist game but if you ever pay attention to a heist movie once the shooting starts things are usually over by that point. If there is shooting it should be like a SWAT game where the stakes are high and everyone is trying to avoid getting shot and making one wrong move means the end.
>>
Only played 2 and 3. How good is the original in comparison?
>>
>>383308859

It's different. Instead of an open world the game is linear level based with a decently sized hub for each world for traveling between levels. Still very fun and I'd say give it a go.
>>
>>383308859

It's mostly the same style of gameplay but in a linear level format and you only play as Sly. So worth playing over all.
>>
Sly 1 is one of my favorite 3D platformers. I really didn't like the direction the other two games took. I still enjoyed Sly 2 but Sly 3 was dogshit.
>>
>>383302262
But Sly was already explored and perfected, and is still the large majority of the game.
When the game is centered around a gang performing heists it only makes sense to play as all of them and utilize their unique skills in the field.

>double jump
>wears out my controllers faster
Are your controllers made of bread? What the fuck is this?

If you're worried about wearing out your controllers maybe you should just stop playing games altogether.
>>
>>383311662
im in the same boat.
i liked the timetraveling gimmick of sly 4 tho
>>
>>383299132
You pretty much said everything that needed to be said right there. All that remains is furfaggotry.
>>
>>383310053
>>383311085
Thanks. Sounds pretty good then. My biggest gripe with 2 & 3 was being forced to play with the other characters, who weren't as fun desu
>>
>tfw animated series is on the way
>>
Who's keeping an eye out for the upcoming TV series?
>>
>>383311783
Hey, welcome to the thread. If you read the posts in the thread, you might have an easier time. Here's one now >>383302969 and another >>383304031. I hope this helps you understand.
>>
File: 1495439832743.jpg (91KB, 423x287px) Image search: [Google]
1495439832743.jpg
91KB, 423x287px
>>383317503
>a joke
>doesn't structure itself as a joke or place itself within a context that would lend people to believe it was a joke

>a wall of text about double jumps which I didn't bring up at all

You sure know how to make a proper response my friend.
>>
>>383317852
A silly, absurd statement juxtaposed to normal statements yes that sounds like a joke to me. A subtle one that flew over your head, but one nonetheless. Sorry it was not presented in a knock-knock format.
>>
>>383318645
>Double jump is so pointless, it just slows down the platforming and wears out my controllers faster

This is not structured to make the latter qualifier seem in jest.

Couched in a longer post doing nothing but complaining about various aspects of the game, it becomes even less likely to see this statement as anything less than genuine.

Sorry you don't understand the basic fundamentals of humor.

Just own up to the fact that you said something stupid. You don't have to pretend to be a super-intelligent master comedian that I just can't comprehend.
>>
>>383301367
Play 1, get through it despite the frustration. You'll appreciate the improvements in 2 a whole lot more.
>>
File: 1459281083462.jpg (64KB, 688x547px) Image search: [Google]
1459281083462.jpg
64KB, 688x547px
>>383302262
>The double jump is pointless
>>
>Don't like the way Sly 2 puts clue bottles in the hub
>Think it would be better to put them in the levels, like Sly 1 did
>Sly 3 has no clue bottles
>4 brings them back
>...in the hub

Dammit, Sanzaru, not everything about Sly 2 was perfect. Stop trying to emulate it so hard. I appreciate you bringing back the treasures you rush to the hideout, though.
>>
>>383319838
But the Sly 2 formula doesn't really have "levels" and often they're too small to stash a ton of bottles in.

The hubs are huge and allow lots of hiding places, on top of being the location for many of the jobs anyway.

Sly 4 does hide masks in some of the job areas, though.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.