[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Styx: Master of Shadows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

Is this a fun stealth game? How's the stealth and combat mechanics? Is the story and characters any good?
>>
>>383295607
Have it in my library, played it for 45 minutes before i got bored. i don't know why i didn't get a refund for it, might play it later if i'm too bored but i'd rather reinstall Thief 1&2 and have a blast with it.
>>
I played on the hardest difficulty and combat is a no-no because you get killed in one hit. The levels are nice and vertical, it's a good game overall.
>>
Its pretty damn good but if you play on console youll hate the load times. I have autism on stealth games and reload if its not perfect, which made it drag and i never finished it.
>>
>>383295607
desu it seems like a really nice stealth game... I played it and had fun but stopped after 4 hours. so yea...
>>
>>383295835
>>383296057

This. Bought it, played it for a bit, stopped caring.
>>
It's okay. Abit rough round the edges so get it when it's on sale
>>
>>383295607
Refunded it after playing 11 minutes.
>>
>>383295976
>I played on the hardest difficulty and combat is a no-no because you get killed in one hit
this.
it is a true stealth game.
I played it on the hardest difficulty, not being found, getting all relics, but I quit on the second to last level, idk, but it is a traditional stealth game, trial and error, reload save/mission
>>
>>383295981
>>383296057
>>383296209
>>383297245
why did none of us manage to finish it?
The game was really good, idk why i couldn't get through it
>>
File: 1386081256130.png (17KB, 612x567px) Image search: [Google]
1386081256130.png
17KB, 612x567px
Most levels are very open, if you're into that. Half of the levels are backtracking with some new areas thrown in on the side as well. I never really care about characters, but iirc the general consensus is that Styx is an irredeemable cunt. Half of the skills are literally worthless on the highest difficulty, as they're all combat related, which isn't a thing on that difficulty level. Still I'd say it's one of the best stealth games in recent years and isn't STEALTH like what splinter cell has become. Like the rest of the thread I actually haven't completed it, but I always play it in short bursts, so I'm sure I'll finish it eventually.
>>
File: 1433979115285.jpg (128KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1433979115285.jpg
128KB, 640x480px
>>383295607
>Is this a fun stealth game?
Master of Shadows COULD be if they fixed the sensitive controls and stealth detection mechanics. It's an exercise in sheer frustration 90% of the time.

Shards of Darkness is at least fun SOME of the time.
>>
>>383297450

I mean, it's fine from a technical perspective but the presentation is just so fucking dull. The characters and setting are boring, and the maps and NPCs don't lend themselves to creative interactions. It's a stealth game completely lacking charm.
>>
File: 12.png (241KB, 477x477px) Image search: [Google]
12.png
241KB, 477x477px
1st game started to piss me off with the endgame sewers and bullshit AI, but I beat it just to see the ending. The build up was good.

Ending made no sense. Still not sure what the fuck
I think The clone you play as an heros with the real Styx and the world tree remakes him as the new Styx but fuck me if that's even possible to decipher correctly.
>>
File: 1447249447251.gif (919KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1447249447251.gif
919KB, 500x320px
>unreal engine 4
it's fucking shit, m8.
I mean it might look a little bit like AAA game, but ue4 has that quality that you can coat a newgrounds game in triple A graphics and it can take a bit for you to realize it.
>>
>>383295607
Stealth is good. Combat is literally a QTE that is disabled on the difficulty you should be playing.

>Is the story and characters any good?
Styx is occasionally amusing but that's about it
>>
File: y26.png (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
y26.png
1MB, 1280x1280px
If you like asian-tier rote memorization of guard route patterns, Styx is the best game ever made.
>>
>>383298892
What was ambiguous about the ending?
>>
>>383300227
Read the spoiler.
>>
>>383300623
No, I played it, I just have no idea how you could get confused by it.
>>
>>383300740
It's not clear whether the ending is a flashback to the rakash you play as being Styx, whether he just assumed he was Styx until the present, or whether you reincarnate in the present as Styx, because the clone mentions "remembering" at the start of the ending when he emerges from the amber lake
>>
>>383295607
>fun stealth game
Top notch. Fucking amazing game. Learning the level layouts and finding all the coins is extremely satisfying.

>combat mechanics
If you aren't playing on goblin mode where guards kill you in one shot you're doing it wrong.

>story and characters
Styx is cool, but I happen to really like goblins. This is his origin story, and it's pretty dark and mysterious. I love the atmosphere. Styx himself is snarky and sarcastic, but it's not over the top like the second game. It meshes well with the dark mood.

>>383299479
This. As someone who has collected every coin on every level while never being seen.
>>
>>383295607
>got to the level with the other clones in the sewers
>haven't had the urge to play since
Should I tough it out? I'll admit it's been frustrating but I do wanna finish it.
>>
>>383301135
You're reading too hard into this.

The clone you played as jumped with the original Styx into the lake of ember. The real Styx died assaulted by mindless clones spawning from the lake. Then the clone awakens, having lost most of his memories. He narrates it from a point in the future.

Zero ambiguity.
>>
>>383301135
Clone drops into the amber and spawns the green plague. They eat Styx and the talking clone you play as assumes his identity.
It IS fairly ambiguous why there's another talking goblin, though.
>>
>>383302696
What other goblin? The one who dies in the prison? It's just another sentient clone the original Styx made to get him out.
>>
>>383297450
It's because of the story and the characters. Other than the tweest it's all really bland. I had to force myself to finish the game. Whenever I played it I had fun but when I stopped I never felt any incentive to start again. Carmack can suck a dick
>>
So, are there any other modern stealth games worth a damn?
>>
>>383303485
Dishonored and probably D2 as well, but I haven't played the second one.
>>
How is Dishonored 2? The first one was easy as fuck, but the world building was a lot of fun.
>>
Are there any good stealth franchises besides SC, Thief, MGS, and Hitman?
>>
>>383304854
Death to Spies and Commandos.
>>
File: 20170704225154_1.jpg (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170704225154_1.jpg
236KB, 1920x1080px
>>383303485
Alien: Isolation
>>
>>383304707
terrible, desu styx is better than both dishonored games
>>
>>383305869

No, no it was not.
>>
File: i like it.jpg (45KB, 378x363px) Image search: [Google]
i like it.jpg
45KB, 378x363px
>>383295607
>is it fun
yeah

>How's the stealth and combat mechanics?
Stealth is good but the combat is absolute trash, so you gotta stick with stealth

>Is the story and characters any good?
Story is ok I guess, and here're no relevant character besides Styx, but he's a lovable cheeky shit
Too bad they turned him into deadpool in the second game
>>
>>383304707
I honestly did not find Dishonored that easy when played with a controller, but kb+m is a lot easier. Also if you limit yourself to only sword and pistol it's pretty hard. Powers are OP and mana is plentiful, but if you refuse to use the wallhax vision, the stealth aspects become a lot more difficult
>>
File: 11055204.png (57KB, 164x158px) Image search: [Google]
11055204.png
57KB, 164x158px
>>383295607
>stealth game
>caring about the combat
>>
>>383304707
Metro 2033 is great but not really recent
The Evil Within had a significant stealth element
Alien Isolation as the other anon mentioned
>>
>>383295607
Level design is great, enemies dull boring shit
>>
File: 1446709724000.jpg (100KB, 777x932px) Image search: [Google]
1446709724000.jpg
100KB, 777x932px
>>383307908
>not caring if the combat is too easy
>>
>>383303184
The one you play as. And he doesn't die in prison.
>>
>>383303184
they're all sentient, that's why it's spoopy
>>
>>383303485
Invisible Inc is Great with a capital G. Same devs also made Mark of the Ninja which is a pretty cool stealth platformer. I like Gunpoint too but it's super short

The most recent hitman and splinter cell were both alright
>>
I like it except for the stupid coin shit. I always autistically have to find every coin. I know you can replay missions but fuck
>>
>>383301683
You reminded me, I've been looking into this game/series thinking of getting it.

>Watched the first game's trailer
>Styx seems like a pretty cool guy, this looks great, I like his voice as well.

>Watched the trailer for the second game
>Is this supposed to be the same Styx? What the FUCK IS THIS?
>>
>>383316070
The second game is a fucking travesty. It's like they looked at the first game and thought the only thing people liked was "LE SNARKY FUNAY GOBLIN XD" and forgot everything else that made it work.
>>
Its a good stealth game, dont bother trying to fight though, its not meant for it.
>>
>>383295607
I'm 26 hours in. I think it's a fantastic game. I play very slow and methodically, getting every collectible and killing everyone, so I don't think the average player would take that much time to clear the game. Mechanically speaking, it's good and accounts for a lot of your actions, but sometimes they could use some tweaking. The game will take how exposed you are in light, the sound of your movement, finding dead enemies or extinguished torches against you, but not everything will trigger alarm. Also, the AI can get very finicky. For instance, there are Knights you cannot kill in melee or stealth, but must use the environment against. If you miss the chandelier, you can never kill that Knight. If you poison the water but somehow it gets off it's script, it will never drink it and die. All in all though, it's a fantastic game and playing it has made me want to get the sequel.
>>
>>383316189
>Turned Styx from the cool very interesting Goblin I saw in the first game's trailers to LE SNARKY FUNNAY GOBLIN

Oh okay, so another character that's fallen victim to the same shit as every other character these last few years. Fucking figures.
>>
>>383309540
>ever needing to engage in combat
Stop being shit at video games.
>>
>>383295607
>Is this a fun stealth game? How's the stealth and combat mechanics? Is the story and characters any good?
Yes. Pretty good and shit respectivelly, because you're not meant to fight. The story is allright, no many characters and they're not memorable outside of maybe Styx.
>>
>>383304707
I would never count Dishonored games as hard, they are all about being creative in a world where you are OP as fuck.
Of course you can flesh and steel it, but still you are OP as fuck.
Dishonored comes into it's own with the multiple ways to tackle objectives, creativity, immersion world building and just badass brutal ways to fuck people up.
Dishonored 2 adds more to what D1 was
only bad thing about it is the lacklustre story and forced voiced protags.
>>
File: 94569.jpg (192KB, 1158x713px) Image search: [Google]
94569.jpg
192KB, 1158x713px
>>383295981
I did exactly this.

I played the first 4 levels and loved it but restarted each one so I could do them perfectly and eventually just got burnt out and never beat it.

It is a legit great steath game though,later down the line I'll finish it.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.