[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this Nostalgia the game ? Because I sure cannot find what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: goku.jpg (228KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
goku.jpg
228KB, 1280x720px
Is this Nostalgia the game ?

Because I sure cannot find what's so great about it. It seems like a good rpg for the early 90's but that's about it, I just can't enjoy it or find anything about it other than the overworld ost rememberable.
>>
>>383266543
That and an extremely autistic fanbase which blew it out of proportions, the game is overall painfully mediocre and without a smidgeon of originality.
>>
>>383266543
Yes, it is. It's just like Earthbound, a cult classic that gets blown way out of proportion to it's actual quality
>>
Its basically the gold standard for JRPGs, even today
>>
File: this sucks (2).gif (489KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
this sucks (2).gif
489KB, 500x250px
>>383266543
>try this on emulator
>have a boringass time with forgettable story and characters
>no unique mechanics whatsoever, very barebones
>finally get to the point where you get magic or whatever
>try out magic, boring as fuck
>lose interest

It's not like the graphics were bad or anything like that, it's just that mechanically there wasn't anything going on. In my opinion, the most important aspect of any jRPG is what kind of mechanics it brings to the table.
>>
>>383266543
I played through it 7 years ago or so when I was 15.

To me, it's the quintessential JRPG. It has a solid battle system (or maybe I'm biased because it's my favorite type of turn based battle and dual/triple techs are cool), a story with twists (because going to the defeated future, seeing Lavos destroy the past, and Crono getting killed were all out of left field), and a world that changed as you do things (characters responding to the Black Omen at the end, opening a chest in the past opens it in the future but not vice versa, NPCs being really good in general).

I didn't grow up with the game or anything (I've only played it two or three times), but I really appreciate the detail that was put in the game.
>>
>>383266743
The only thing painfully mediocre in this thread is you, consider suicide ASAP
>>
>>383266543
Try Fallout 4 now, it has homosexuals just like you.
>>
>>383266989

Actually I found Earthbound worth the praise, Iloved it and I was around 24 when I first played it. The "weirdness" of it and the way it managed to create a false sense of nostalgia since I never had played the game before, surprised me a lot.

Chrono Trigger on the other hand failed to do that. I looked like a top budget game for it's time kinda like FFVI but that's about it. (Yet I love the shit of FFVI)
>>
>>383266543
>a good rpg for the early 90's
And the story is a nice adventure with time travel shenanigans that make experimenting and exploring somewhat interesting. Avoidable battles with area of effect spells was pretty neat stuff back then. Making the RPG environment more interactive is what sets Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger apart for their time.
>>
>>383266743
>without a smidgeon of originality
The way they did all this time travel thing was quite original for the genre at the time thi
>>
>>383266543
>Not stuck on a grid/tile based movement system
>No cut-away combat-happens directly on the map you're traveling
>Actual art for the characters, fluid animation and sprites
>start is lighthearted and mostly non-combat before throwing you into the actual game
>time travel with multiple paths and endings
>soundtrack
This game was amazing for it's time and is still the best 2d jrpg.

If you don't like jrpgs, of course you won't like it.
>>
File: Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart[1].png (108KB, 256x351px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart[1].png
108KB, 256x351px
Is this Nostalgia the game ?

Because I sure cannot find what's so great about it. It seems like a good platformer for the early 90's but that's about it, I just can't enjoy it or find anything about it other than the powerups rememberable.
>>
>>383268220
Super mario world is the one most people claim to be the best of the time
>>
>>383267273
Thanks for once again confirming how autistic you triggerniggers are.
Luckily Square made us all a favour and killed off that mediocre franchise, not like anyone even cares about it anyway
>>383267778
>>383267778
>And the story is a nice adventure with time travel shenanigans that make experimenting and exploring somewhat interesting.
Oh yeah, an overworld map swap is really interesting, especially when a fucking gameboy game of all things did it years before that.
>Making the RPG environment more interactive is what sets Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger apart for their time.
Except all of that has was already done by other games, and much better since monsters do not even have unique map behaviours like any Romancing SaGa game, instead all you have in CT are fixed spawn points(many of those invisible, which defeats the purpose of the enemy icon mechanic altogether) and monster icons with random movements instead of having proper scripts.
>>383268038
>The way they did all this time travel thing was quite original for the genre at the time
It's literally, quite literally the same exact thing they did for SaGa 3 on the gameboy, how is that any original when a gameboy game did it 5 years before?
>>
>>383268220

>Being this triggered
>>
>it's a Gen Z ADD faggot plays the first hour of a classic RPG and then proceeds to cite nostalgia as the only possible reason that it was ever considered good
>even though Chrono Trigger was loved by many at the time of it's release

thanks for filling the daily quota OP
>>
>>383268372
Not even that guy but you should find a new go to insult instead of just going AUTISM AUTISM AUTISM every time someone disagrees with your shit opinion
>>
Pacing is the main reason it's good. The actual gameplay systems are pretty simple.
>>
>>383267227
For what it's worth not many RPGs before since have done a double/ triple tech system quite like CT
>>
>>383267076
>gold standard

fucking hate this term
>>
>>383266543
No, I played it 3 or 4 years ago and thought it was excellent. And I normally donĀ“t like JRPGs.
My pick would be FFXII
>>
>>383267076
Standard is the right word, it's pretty bland
>>
>>383266543
The game was basically 10 years ahead of the competition mechanically when it came out and retains it's playability in the modern era.
It does everything right and nothing wrong, all facets of the game are "good" or better.

You had the ability to see and avoid encounters at a time when the vast majority of the genre was using random battles (props to Lufia 2 for being the other turn based game to get it right)
You had combat and exploration happen on the same screen while others were separating them with a time wasting screen transition. The only other RPGs that did that were the early Action RPGs like the Mana series and they had much more serious gameplay problems than CT did. In the form of magic spam locking down any and all fights. CT's turn based system allowed enemies to at least fight back.
You had party composition matter beyond each individual character's abilities through the double and triple tech system, which also brought purpose (waiting for turns to match up) to the otherwise honestly kind of shitty ATB system that Square used for a ton of other RPGs.
AoE attacks actually had a bunch of different shapes when other RPGs were giving you lazy "all" or pick and chose targeting.
The time travel actually effects gameplay by allowing you possess the same item twice at once, and also allows for the game's widely varying endings.
The sound and visuals are top notch.
The pacing is fast and the time travel allowed for a bunch of different and not often seen settings to be put together in one RPG.

The game is just good.
>>
>>383266543
played it a year ago, it was a pretty cool game with all the environments, combo attacks, story that goes everywhere and the top tier music
it's not strange how so many people love it
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.