[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

StarCraft II

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 24

File: og-sc2-legacy-of-the-void.jpg (276KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
og-sc2-legacy-of-the-void.jpg
276KB, 1200x630px
What went wrong? Why was Brood War so much better?
>>
It was good, story went on abit. It ends nicely in HotS.
>>
>>383211638
>It was good, story went on abit.
It wasn't really though, it was casualized and streamlined for the retard market.
>>
>>
>>383211739
Name a good story then.
>>
>>383211872
Starcraft 1
>>
>>383211961
Sc2 was just a continuation of sc1s plot and story You fucking autist
>>
File: 1497309099964.jpg (39KB, 585x398px) Image search: [Google]
1497309099964.jpg
39KB, 585x398px
>>383212474
>implying that anything which is a "continuation" automatically means it is of the same quality
You shouldn't be calling anyone an autist.
>>
Story is Hollywood while SC1 was camp, and mechanically it's overdesigned and overbalanced (Brood War has cool seemingly overpowered stuff canceling each other out, SC2 feels sterile with dull units) while streamlining controls in the end only removes emergent depth BW had (figuring out how to efficiently manage all the stuff) and because it doesn't add any mechanics to compensate, the game comes down to getting minutiae exactly right.
>>
>>383212804
This.
>>
>>383211541
>unlimited unit select
>multiple building select
>autotargeting unit ai that would never overkill a target
this completely ruined the great feeling that bw gave that you were a commander struggling to command an army against a great menace (advanced aliens, overwhelming zerg of zerg, humanity's best)
>making the gameplay devolve down to who had the largest ball with the nicest mixture in the lategame
>removing advanced mechanics like carrier leashing, blind snipes, pixel perfect postioning, choke plays, map control, momentum based movement, and so on and replacing with shitty fighting game tier mechanics like stutterstep
I could go on and on about how sc2 was a complete disaster
>>
>>383211872
diablo 2
>>
File: 1496559167084.png (147KB, 400x291px) Image search: [Google]
1496559167084.png
147KB, 400x291px
>>383211541
Anyone who shits on SC2 is objectively a fuckin retard.

It had everything SC1 had, but more and better.
More mechanics. Better mechanics.
More units. Better units.
More story. Better story.
More cinematics. Better cinematics.
More missions briefings and between-mission activities and BETTER between-mission shit because you got to wander your shit and talk to people and upgrade your army.

Online was better in SC2 as well. Several more game modes and a better map editor and map browser. People just didn't use it because it's not 2002 anymore so there are free games by real studios to play online instead of just fanmade SC custom maps.

No matter how you fucking slice it, SC2 is the sequel everyone has been demanding from Blizzard. It changed very little of the original SC1 gameplay and story and instead just piled on a ton of new features and shiny shit.

The fact that neo-/v/ bashes it is proof that you're all fucking retarded snowflake SJW-clones who will illogically and mindlessly attack any company you feel has wronged you and your batshit ideological view of the industry. For daring to not pander directly to your dumb asses for a few years, they're now blacklisted by you inbred hipster fucks and thus you will shit on them for eternity without even rationally justifying it.

I dislike a fair amount of what Blizz has done in the past several years, but I can judge SC2 without that childish fucking baggage clouding my assessment and acknowledge that SC2 is a great successor to SC1 and Blizz did basically everything right. I'd love to bitch about the story but SC1 had an even dumber story so they're still being consistent with Super Sayan Kerrigan.
>>
File: 34.png (428KB, 566x609px) Image search: [Google]
34.png
428KB, 566x609px
>>383212474
>>
File: dylan.gif (820KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
dylan.gif
820KB, 250x188px
>>383212474

what
>>
>>383211541
Fun game to play no matter what you shitheads that post on /v/ more than play.

The story is complete shit, but the campaign gameplay is decent starting from HoTS onwards.

If you put in the effort to learn the build orders in Legacy or LoTV and actually put in effort to get better, the game is easily worth the total price of the games.

Sure HoTS had idiotic units like the host, and pro gameplay wasn't fun to watch after the first 2 years, but that doesn't take away from what I said.
>>
Story got way too Dragon Ball Z-focused about halfway through. Heroes getting into energy beam locks, transforming into more powerful fighters, "You haven't seen my power yet!" etc.

As >>383211848 illustrates.
>>
File: 1429206513259.jpg (32KB, 640x272px) Image search: [Google]
1429206513259.jpg
32KB, 640x272px
>>383215478
>More story. Better story.
>More cinematics. Better cinematics.

Go to bed, Lucas. Metzen doesn't need you to cover for him.
>>
>>383216306
Metzen's retired.
Also, it's the same shitty story as SC1.
And you cannot claim that SC1's dated cinematics twice per campaign can stand up to SC2's cinematics.
>>
File: r8XNZ.gif (788KB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
r8XNZ.gif
788KB, 235x240px
>>383217114
>>383215478

Remember when shitty parodies of fox news showed up in SC1? Remember when characters asked if you wanted to go on side quests in SC1?

Remember when you played as Jim Raynor? Remember when you played as any of the other characters?

Remember when you bought upgrades that followed you through missions in SC1?

Remember when SC1 had unit sidegrades?

Remember when SC1 was big built up hollywood and not just fun horror/action set ups?

Remember when you walked around town and spoke to characters like an RPG in Sc1?

Remember when SC1 units were all chibi and exaggerated like a cartoon?
>>
>>383211541
With the passing of patches and expansions it's become a decent game, definitely worthy of being called a BW in modern times.
However the state of the game for years was a complete mess.
And there's no fixing that story.
>>
File: 1363811872288.jpg (114KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
1363811872288.jpg
114KB, 500x675px
>>383217114
>And you cannot claim that SC1's dated cinematics twice per campaign can stand up to SC2's cinematics.

I feel like you're the type of person who can't watch black and white movies because they're "too outdated."

There's more to directing a scene than how many polygons an FMV has. StarCraft II's cutscenes are magnificent on a technical level but fail on a narrative one due to incredibly poor writing. Yes, the Zerg fights in incredible in Swam and Void's openings but does it matter if we have cutscenes dedicated to aforementioned "power levels."

>same shitty story

StarCraft One was a depressing, classical space opera that liberally "borrowed" from Warhammer. Depressing is the key word. There was backstabbing. Deaths unavenged. And--this is important--it was an ensemble piece.

StarCraft II's biggest mistake came from Metzen letting his personal life influence the writing of it. It went from depressing in BW to typical Hollywood action fair. Raynor and Kerrigan's "love" became a central focus of the series. Zeratul and guests couldn't shut up about DARK PROPHECIES and ANCIENT EVILS. If the original and Brood War were Apocalypse Now, StarCraft II turned the franchise into Jackson's The Hobbit trilogy.

And let's not forget how poorly planned out it was.

First the "Pick your own adventure" in Wings of Liberty failed and then they have three entries in SC2 but FAIL to even tie up all the story lines... so they include three hastily put together "over time" missions in Legacy of the Void to try and finish it all up everything.

And bro, even fucking Normies make fun of StarCraft II's story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeG4zrcBjY

I feel like I could show you the Addams Family movie and the Munsters "movie" and you'd tell me they are "exactly the same."
>>
>>383218746
>There's more to directing a scene than how many polygons an FMV has. StarCraft II's cutscenes are magnificent on a technical level but fail on a narrative one due to incredibly poor writing. Yes, the Zerg fights in incredible in Swam and Void's openings but does it matter if we have cutscenes dedicated to aforementioned "power levels."
You're full of fucking shit and you know it.
SC2 wins on the fucking narrative front. The story in the cinematics is better written, better acted, and better animated. That's a fact.
Go back and rewatch SC1's. There is NOTHING in them that compared to anything classic like Hitchcock. It was all 20-year olds at Blizz trying new shit! SC2 had real directors hired and better writers behind the scenes on top of better animators so SC2 ended up with better cinematics.

Your plot analysis is similarly full of shit. The core story is the same in both. SC2 just dialed up the power levels. Did you even play the fuckin games?

How is SC2 not "depressing" or sad when WoL alone was packed with hard choices and deaths and shit like Tychus betraying Raynor, both knowing he had no choice, and him basically getting executed because he never was near as good as Jimmy?

You're literally making up bullshit excuses that can be refuted in seconds off the top of any rational person's head.

Grow the fuck up. SC2 was a legitimate improvement over SC1. Maybe you have some nostalgia goggles on and think SC1 was much better than it really was. Or maybe you just hate Activision Blizzard and can't look at SC2 without hating them for the other shit they've done.
Either way, you're not being objective. So fuck off.
>>
>>383221747
>SC2 was a legitimate improvement over SC1.
People can't honestly believe this.
>>
>>383212790
You're retarded if its the same thing its the same quality. Dumb autist.
>>
desu the only thing they did really right was the co-op
>>
>>383212804
>camp
Entire post disqualified.
>>
>>383216024
This is a Blizzard problem overall. They just can't settle on a power level. They always have to add a few drops here and there while moving the story forward until the glass starts overflowing and you think how the hell did it get to this point? I bet in Diablo 4 we will learn Diablo is nothing but a puppet to a 'Voidlord' or some shit.
>>
>>383224375
We already know that Diablo and the other Evils are just pieces of Tathamet's corpse.
>>
File: image.jpg (111KB, 820x556px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111KB, 820x556px
>I must erase the negroes of the past
Wtf Metzen how did this line get through?
>>
>>383211541
Too many timed missions.
>>
>>383224681
Sounds like classic Metzen. Always proofing his stories for future bad guys. But the real question is... who created Tathamet... ? Guess we'll find out in Diablo 5 when him and the transcendent Nephalem do battle in space throwing planets at each other like nothing.
>>
>>383225068
>who created Tathamet... ?
According to the D3 wiki, the supreme good guy Anu.
So it's likely than in the far future a corrupted form of Anu will be a final boss.
Reading the wiki the Diablo lore is an absolute shitshow, why do game developers feel the need to flesh out with autistic detail their worlds? D1/D2 with their barebones and simple lore had a sense of mystery and vastness to it.
>>
>>383225068
No anon, it turns out the prime evils were essential to masking the world from the greater being beyond the veil. Now that they have found us, the nephalem will have to combine their powers with the evils and become one greater being of neutrality to hold it at bay, while you weaken it.
>>
>>383211541
If you're saying Brood War story was better I totally agree with you, but SC2 campaign gameplay is god tier
>>
Co-op is fun. Wish more people knew how to syngergize though.
>>
>>383217914
>Remember when you bought upgrades that followed you through missions in SC1?

That's actually one of my favourite things about 2.
>>
>>383215478
>>383217114
>>383221747
Do you also think Diablo 3 improved on Diablo 2's storytelling? Just curious.
>>
>>383212804
this guy gets it

sc2 was "designed for esports". you have to play the way they intend you to play.
there is no "boxer locking down a fleet of battlecruisers" hail mary moment in sc2
>>
>>383225982
diablo 3 was a cluster fuck of garbage what people don't realize is you paid 50 for diablo 1 2 and lod with 1 new area in 3.

act 1 of diablo 3

>the entire diablo 1 game with butcher and leoric

Act 2 of diablo 3
>diablo 2 lut golein

act 3 of diablo 3

>diablo LOD

They gave you 1 fucking new area and thats really fucking it, JAY wilson is a fucking schmuk surrounded by yes men and doesn't deserve to design or write for another game ever again.
>>
File: 1422884286966.gif (2MB, 260x160px) Image search: [Google]
1422884286966.gif
2MB, 260x160px
>>383225445
>>383225414
>>383225068
Is this shit real? They already had a nice little self-contained universe, what's with the fucking retconning in of multiple power levels of enemies? Did they introduce this stupid shit in RoS or did I just miss it?

Fuck's sake, they could've done so much cool stuff without ruining the lore, I'll never not be mad about this game.
>>
>>
File: 1499370013167.jpg (48KB, 557x423px) Image search: [Google]
1499370013167.jpg
48KB, 557x423px
>Three morally ambiguous sides with a few true heroes caught in the middle fight a huge war
>Expansion comes and all sides were really good all along it was just this fourth faction that created and manipulated them, also corruption

It went from treating the game seriously to handling it with kid's gloves.
>>
>>383225445

>mfw neoblizzard is so lazy they just decided to turn diablo and warcraft into the same universe
>>
>>383229284
>the zerg dindu nuffin , goy
>>
I genuinely think StarCraft II had a more enjoyable single player; huge variety of missions, nice sense of progression, and the story-unique units were nice. People always harp on the story, and yeah it's not very good, but it's not like SC1's plot was anything fantastic either

Multiplayer wasn't half as enjoyable, but if you're looking for a fun single player RTS you can do loads worse then SC2
>>
File: 1362882118284.jpg (322KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1362882118284.jpg
322KB, 1920x1200px
>>383221747
>the core story is the same in both
I'm not sure you even played the original StarCraft
>>
>>383221747

Being this retarded.
>>
>>383230046
>you're a cunt and i'm going to kill you
>it'd been better if you had died that day before you became a murdering bitch
How are these two statements contradictory in any way?
>>
>>383230046
>>383230164
Wrong image, apologies.

Thought it was one I had saved but apparently don't.

Regardless, Raynor going from

>Kill Kerrigan for Fenix
to
>I love you, darling

And riding off into the sunset with her is a huge shift in tone between the first two titles. (We can attribute this to Metzen's quote about SC2 being a story about "a boy and a girl).

To reiterate, playing SC2's campaign is fun. There's a lot of variety with the missions and the choices of unit upgrades help keep it from becoming boring

but god damn is the story disappointing.
>>
>>383229684
I think the primary flaw in SC1 single player is the difficulty of playing any other way but macroing up until you reach a certain high supply and then moving out, which is boring. I recently started replaying it and I'm trying my best to play as though it was MP, moving out with small supply while macroing at home but while I sometimes have great success (In one mission I remember killing like 10x my worth of units with zerglings I started with) but in some other missions it just feels futile and counterproductive because there's a half a dozen reavers behind photon cannon walls or whatever, and at least at my skill level (and below), you'd beat the mission faster and easier if you just macroed to 100+ supply and then focused on micro 100%.

SC2 is on the opposite end of the specrum and there's too many horribly gimmicky missions in which you are expected to mostly forget about macroing and standard unit comps and just execute the obvious gimmick, but that's in my mind better than building your base without even having to defend any serious attacks.
>>
>>383230046
>hate someone close in the heat of the moment
>months later you lament at the loss of the relationship and wished it ended differently

do you even people?
>>
>>383230617
He loved the human Kerrigan, but hates the QoB one, how is that so difficult to understand?
He flirted with her in SC1 and chimped the fuck out when Mengsk sacrificed her, it was heavily implied that he felt some kind of attraction towards her.
Given that, stumbling into a way to revert her to the Kerrigan he loved after years of lonely moping made a strong impression on him, and that's only natural.

There's a ton of stuff to shit on SC2 for, but Raynor is not one of them, hate is a hot emotion, it cools down with time, what remains underneath it is sadness and bitterness.
>>
>>383225445
Is this real? I honestly see this being real.
God damn.
>>
>>383230046
The love story was the best part of sc2. I enjoyed HOTS thoroughly with kerrigan acting all cute. It made Kerrigan a more rounded, complex characters instead of just le evil power.

Some people just cant look past that.
>>
File: 1440885195315.png (257KB, 1133x461px) Image search: [Google]
1440885195315.png
257KB, 1133x461px
>>383230909
>>383230920
But Raynor never loved her in SC1. As stated,

>He flirted with her in SC1 and chimped the fuck out when Mengsk sacrificed her, it was heavily implied that he felt some kind of attraction towards her.

Infatuation/physical attraction does not equal love.

Separating "Kerrigan" from the Queen of Blades is also something SC2 did. In Brood War, she played up her transformation to gain the trust of others.

>It was the Overmind's fault guys, really! You can trust me

And then killed Duke, Fenix, and all the others after she had consolidated power.

But then Blizzard went back on that for StarCraft 2 and went with
>"Yes, it WAS the infestation, not power, that 'corrupted' Kerrigan".

Which makes it all the less interesting and cheapens the narrative with it's unnecessary love story.
>>
File: 1394650655748.jpg (111KB, 635x635px) Image search: [Google]
1394650655748.jpg
111KB, 635x635px
>>383215478
>Better story.
>>383211848

>What went wrong?

Blizzard in general, honestly. They basically only produced hot garbage during that whole early SC2/D3/late Wrath, Cata period.

Good news is that it's fucking over and we have the broodwar remaster to look forward to.
>>
>>383231387
>Infatuation/physical attraction does not equal love.
Jesus Christ mate are you literally autistic?
>>
Gonna have to agree with the anon that said esports is whats wrong with Sc2. They should have made it fun first and balanced second. The single player is great though its by far my favorite rts campaign. SC1 is pretty good too of course.
>>
Two main things went wrong: SC2 failed to follow up on SC1's amazing atmosphere and tone (the story in 1 is neat but nothing special, it's everything that surrounds it that is great, from the music to the artstyle), and it failed to reproduce its fairly accidental quality of gameplay.

>>383217114
>And you cannot claim that SC1's dated cinematics twice per campaign can stand up to SC2's cinematics.
In terms of production value? Of course I can't. In terms of realization and general execution? SC1's cinematics far surpass SC2's.

>>383213363
>this completely ruined the great feeling that bw gave that you were a commander struggling to command an army against a great menace
I saw that day9 video too but it's completely accurate, people have an obsession for that absurd ideal of perfect design and all it does is remove a lot of charm and identity from games
>>
>>383225414
>>383227203
They didn't retcon in shit, that's been part of Diablo's lore since D1.
>>
>>383212474
I came into this thread just to laugh at how wrong your opinions are
>>
The truth behind really all of blizzard's storytelling is that Metzen got old and mellowed out. Back in the early days he (and many others at blizzard) were all about black metal and edgy shit, but he got old and got kids and you can see it in the writing. Now he worries about what his daughter will think of his edgy shit, and that's why you see Thrall getting tired of fighting and marrying some random brown orc and these shitty power of love plot lines you see in modern starcraft.

Metzen is gone now, but those writers left behind are even bigger hacks so I don't really expect anything to improve.

Not that it matters, old Blizzard is gone and isn't coming back. They can't make fun games like they used to.
>>
Sc2 sucked the same reason D3 sucked someone overhauled the game before release.
They even made a video interview that stated they redid the zerg prior to release. They kept balancing the game based on "pro"players breaking the game with exploits until abilities were unplayable for most players.
>>
>>383211872
Legacy of Kain.
>>
>>383212474
>a continuaiton of sc1
>raynor now in love with kerigan even though they never spent much time with each other
>mingsk is now a racist nazi
>nobody cares about phenix
>zerg were teh good guys all along lol
>ued? who cares, we gotta go fight god
>protosts much work with teh zergs even though the zerg literally genocided their homeworld!!!!
>>
>>383213363
Literally everyone refuses to admit it but the fatal flaw of SC2 is that it's too fast. Every problem eventually comes back to this: everything happens at a speed that leaves very little opportunity for the player to react, adapt or execute a response during the game. Players desperately cling to the idea that the high speed makes the game more elite because they don't want to feel like they wasted their time trying to learn a poorly designed game. Blizzard insists that fast games are exciting... to watch? SC2's esports scene has almost withered away at this point, the spectators have abandoned the game too.
>>
>>383221747
Remember that time in SC1 where the story was about getting money for the kel morian combine and fighting a little rebellion? Made sense in the setting.

Two years later Almighty God (who lives in a pyramid outside the universe) turns kerrigan into an angel to kill the super Space Devil because he wants to annihilate the universe because he's basically the space Joker.
>>
>>383230909
they. never. had. a. relationship.
>>
>>383232110
All of this was developed before sc2 was released
>>
>>383232307
>i can't catch subtext because i'm autistic
>>
>>383232371
>hey cute red head, i want to bang u
>lol ur such a red neck

IS NOT A FUCKING ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP. Kerrigan was a booty call at best, and the main reason he was pissed at her death was because rayor didnt think the guy he was following would be willing to sacrifice his own people in the manner that he did. Mengsk pretended to be better than the old dominion, and then he turned out to be the same selfish backstabbing liar raynor thought he was fighting against.
>>
They shoved way too many game mechanics into SC2 for it to be fun. Instead of making a game that a retard could learn to play over the course of a campaign and then progress in ability on battlenet they just created a clusterfuck of damage types, unit armor types and tons of other shit, that really just confuses a normal player.

Add to that every other unit has some special ability and don't forget to use it or else, and you have a recipe for disaster.

You can legitimately play BW with 10 apm and still do things. Do that in SC2 and your totally fucked because all of all the maintenance bullshit. Not to mention there really isn't a good parity since blizzard tries to balance unit combinations instead of letting each unit have their own niche.
>>
>>383232403
>cowboy wants to put his dick into a cute girl
>OH MY GOD THEY WERE IN LOVE

There is no love story at all in sc1. Regular coworker sexual tension at best. You don't fall in love with a bitch after she murders your best friend. Especially when shes a literal mutant.
>>
Who cares about blizzard its one of those things where you have to seperate old blizz from nublizz.
Every game post classic wow has been terrible.
There were even signs as far back as war3 and wow that this was going to happen.
>>
>>383232667
>human Kerrigan is the same thing as QoB Kerrigan
>>
>>383232667
Except it was more profound than that, he was aware of his past and didn't want her to sacrifice herself because of it.
Not to mention that he never actually flirted with her, she just read his thoughts.
>>
>arguing that sc2 cinematics are better than SC1

Find me a more fitting, (in the sense that it flawlessly fits the flavor), and memorable cutscene in all of sc2 than the intro to brood war with the two Marines watching stukovs battle cruiser leave without firing a shot while they wait to get eaten alive.
>>
>>383231776
Do you fucking Blizzdrones ever stop making shit up that suits your case? This shit was never in D1, D2 or any of the manuals that came with the game. The setup was an eternal battle between heaven and hell, not some transdimensional evils that lurk in the next expansionâ„¢.
>>
>>383232731
>BW Kerrigan

A force of destruction that matched the zerg and their tendency to ravage and consume everything based on their evolutionary instincts.

>SC2 Kerrigan

Zerg wus a gud boy he didnt do nuffin, also I'm actually a good person and only being zerg made me evil, but wait I turned zerg again. Let me just erase any kind of interesting character development because an ancient evil awakened.
>>
>>383232874
The my planet needs me scene in HotS
>>
Is SC2 multiplayer really bad because all you guys are talking about is the campaign writing?
>>
>>383233063
Thats true but at least some of the stuff in D3 comes from the books and i believe the books have existed as far back as D2.
The funny thing is they didnt even use the best stuff from the books.
>>
>>383233110
What are you even talking about?
Kerrigan was mentally conditioned after becoming infested. The only thing killing the Overmind did was freeing her from her mental ties to him, she was still mentally fucked.
>>
>>383232874
Some of those intro cinematics are pretty god tier though. Blizzard always did really fucking good cinematics.

>that legacy of the void intro

That would sell any other game alone.
>>
>>383232874
The scene where Kerrigan rides a giant worm and fights Duran or w/e his name was. Pretty epic fight scene.
>>
File: IMG_0626.jpg (63KB, 600x637px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
63KB, 600x637px
>>383212474
>implying godfather part 3 is on the same level as part 1
Your bait worked, faggot. Well done.
>>
>>383225925

Congratulations, you're the casual that ruined our game.
>>
>>383233265
In SC2 they completely reconned her character along with her voice actor into the tragic, I was only bad because I was zerg, character that instantly becomes morally good after being dezerged.

Why can't we just have an evil bitch that manipulates people for personal gain.

Hell the zerg expansion could have been fucking legit if you played it as a conquering ruler intent on wiping out any kind of threat to the future of the zerg.
>>
>>383230781
I really hated how meatgrindery some SC2 levels were, especially the final one. It was just like the final WC3 TFT level where you're pretty much tanking a ton of stuff with your hero character(s) and doing damage against constant waves upon waves of enemies.
>>
>>383233245
>books
How come I only hear of absolutely moronic things coming from Blizzard-related books? Last time it was some Warcraft book that retconned Arthas' entire character to set up for the pathetic story of WotLK.

Does Blizzard approach writers and tell them to make up some hacky shit to justify what they're going to do with the game, or does their internal staff write this shit up?
>>
>>383233448
I wasnt even baiting. Sc1 to sc2 is not like d1+2 to d3
They didnt do any damage to the story in starcraft.
Peaceful zerg was already established lore.
All the important cast returned.
Hybrids as the bad guys was from broodwar.
Mensk as a bad guy was not a new thing.
>>
>>383233608
No unified story but they are trying to improve it bit by bit. Its not terrible overall, but honestly it wasn't initially as deep as it is now which is causing problems.
>>
>>383233550
>>Why can't we just have an evil bitch that manipulates people for personal gain.
Because that goes against her human character that was already established in SC1?
She was never shown as evil while human, from the little character traits she had -strongly objecting to using the zerg as weapons and wiping the whole Confederacy- made her look as good-ish. It's obvious that becoming Zerg messed up with her psyche real bad.
The only difference between SC1 and SC2 is that in SC1 the change was irreversible, and no one entertained the thought of bringing her back, so with that in mind her Zerg persona became basically her.
>>
>>383233691
Mengsk was an asshole in SC1, but he wasn't necessarily evil. SC2 stomped all over that subtlety and turned him into a mustache twirling villain.
>>
>>383211541
It wasn't better, nostalgiafag.
It was just unique for its time.

Can't believe the world's most infamous esport is a game with such shitty AI and controls.
>>
>>383233963
He was just a dictator
>>
>>383211541
>split your games into three games
>Let chris metzen write his edgy 16 year old fan fiction and make it actual story
>split your game into three games
>completely changes the characters
>fuck up online
>split your game into three games

I've no idea what went wrong

Literally none

None at all
>>
>>383233112
Which one?

>>383233291
Eh, it was cool, but no bw intro.
Especially when you take back aiur and realize it was all a dream two missions later.
>>383233410
>That trash
>Good

I liked her kaioken x10 but she could've used a few instant transmissions and maybe a two/three episode spirit bomb
>>
>>383211848
>kerrigan is xel'naga because reasons
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>383212474
Did we conveniently forget this, or did you not play starcraft 1?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcnd1WJVCo
>>
>>383234330
>>That trash
>>Good
Well unlike you, some people can catch Dune references.
>>
>>383211848
>Responsible for the death of billions of terrans and near total genocide of the billions and billions of protoss
>Lie, cheat, steal, backstab, enslave, and murder your way to dominance

>Kerrigan was a good girl who dindu nuffin let's give her all the power of the thing that made the universe (god) cause she's the chosen one or whatever fuck you
>>
>>383235135
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the muad dib never had Shai hulud eat a guy then explosively barf him out so they could have a dbz tier psychic battle with the most cliche shapeshifting bullshit posdible
>>
>>383235436
Well it's been modernized a little, what's wrong with that?
>>
>>383235772
A decent modernized story is that Romeo + Juliet.

You get too far off the source material and it gets lost in translation. StarCraft two is a cluster fuck that added nothing to any genre of storytelling (writing, visuals, music, whatever). It's less of a reference and more of... Two highschool kids writing a play while stoned and thinking of cool shit to add scene by scene. They're stoned, so they forget where the story is every other act or so and just keep adding more nonsensical shit as they get more and more baked.

Dune basically defined science fiction for twenty years.
>>
>>383236151
I dunno dude, Starcraft 2 seems pretty coherent and planned.
>>
File: SC2 ending 1.jpg (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 1.jpg
111KB, 1920x1080px
Here we fucking go.
>>
File: SC2 ending 2.jpg (109KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 2.jpg
109KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>383211541
Warcraft III in space. Nobody wanted to see good zerg. Protoss turned out quite retarded.
>>
>>383236814
nice ass tho
>>
>>383236360
>400 million people die in WoL to cleanse kerrigan
>Two and a half in game days later she goes back and reinfests herself because THERE MUST ALWAYS BE A LICH KING
>Six months later she travels with her sworn enemies Jim Raynor and Artanis (after she killed all their friends and genocided their peoples) outside the universe to team up with literal God to kill the devil

And yes, I know that Duran was in brood war and the hybrids too. But I'd bet you 20 trillion dollars that at the time of bw they never intended for kerrigan to ascend to ssj3 then get powered up by God to kill Diablo
I mean Deathwing

They're all the same bullshit these days anyway
>>
>>383233963
it's like devs have failed at basic schooling for the last decade or two.

Compare starfcraft's retarded story of mengsk suddenly going pants on head retarded, to Mechwarrior 4's story.

first you have a embittered clan war vet ( who went to war against the family wishes and against his father) getting rushed back home to his dukedom to quell a steiner uprising during the fedcom civil war.

lots of shit happens that slowly turn him even harder and nastier.

>2nd game has you turn up as mercs from the 'black legion' outfit after doing some preliminary stuff, to find out mean and nasty dresari may have killed his own sister ( if you didn't save her in the last game) to assume the dukedom after going offplanet after the end of the last game, leaving her in charge to rebuild and rule, whilst he went and murderised the shit out of the goobs from steiner who supported and supplied all the fuckers he just spent an entire game killing the shit out of.

>TL;DR VERSION : ' why the fuck can't devs write a believable, non anvilicious, non cartoon story for kids, video game plot anymore? why do they suck so hard at basic narratives?
>>
File: SC2 ending 3.jpg (92KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 3.jpg
92KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: SC2 ending 4.jpg (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 4.jpg
143KB, 1920x1080px
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
File: SC2 ending 5.jpg (139KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 5.jpg
139KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>383233963
also, don't forget SC1 mengsk actually had REASONS to be a cunt.

>earth gets stroppy at the backwater yokels on some place called korhal not bending over an taking earh cock up the ass economically, politically and legally.

>gee how dare they! let's sick the military on them!

>korhal gets BTFO with the only effective resistance coming from increasingly despereate vicious reprisal guerilla tactics.

> some asshole called mengsk pops up and starts NUKING the fucking INVADING armies to make the GTFO

>somehow HE'S the "TERRORIST"
>>
>>383237204
>But I'd bet you 20 trillion dollars that at the time of bw
Oh no argument there. My point isn't that it was planned from the start, just that SC2 follows up well from SC1 and its narrative is coherent.

I think it helps if you view it as more of a redemption story for Kerrigan. Fairly more anime in style than the original sure but that's not really a bad thing, is it?
>>
File: SC2 ending 6.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 6.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: SC2 ending 7.jpg (121KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 7.jpg
121KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>383237709
>a society based on bantz and being a cunt
So, protoss Australia?
>>
File: SC2 ending 8.jpg (161KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SC2 ending 8.jpg
161KB, 1920x1080px
And these eight images represent a 17 year story long story finally concluding in two short cutscenes and a couple of pictures.

People pissed off at the ending of Mass Effect 3 never had to endure this kind of pain.
>>
>>383211541
Cartoon characters and power fantasy stories.

Blizzard operates on assimilated fandom power by now, and it shows in everything they make.

There's not a shred of storytelling refinement left in anything they put out.
>>
>>383237442
>Fairly more anime in style

And substance.

While extremely basic SC1 at least tried to portray itself as a serious (adult) story.
From the animation when medics die screaming in a shower of gore and exploded armor to several main characters dying, betrayal, near genocide of the protoss, etc. The writing backed up the setting of a hellishly dystopic future where Terran marine life expectancy in combat was measured in seconds. The writing was never flashy, but at least threw in some ten dollar words every now and again to make you pay attention. People had reasonable motivations
Mengsk wanted to be free from UED dickery, Raynor wanted to stop the zerg, tassadar wanted to stop the zerg, Zeratul wanted to stop the zerg, daggoth wanted to stop kerrigan, kerrigan wanted to stop everyone, etc, etc.

Nothing fancy, but it all fit extremely well together.
Sc2 threw it all out the window. Watch an SC1 psi storm and an sc2 psi storm and you'll see what I mean.
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.