[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5 or 10 years ago, most people thought Ocarina was one of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault.jpg (159KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
159KB, 1920x1080px
5 or 10 years ago, most people thought Ocarina was one of the best games of all-time, if not the best game OAT.

Now, almost everyone agrees it's super overrated and not even great.

What changed?
>>
>>383208203
anonymity
>>
>>383208203
It's just that you're on /v/
>>
>>383208203
I found /v/. It still is regarded as the best game of all time to Normies. That or FFVII
>>
People with real taste knew of a game called "Majora's Mask"
>>
>>383208203
Not much. Barely anyone can say why it's supposed to have 'aged' or what games do now that make them better than it. Great games have been released in the meanwhile, but only a handful of them approach what OoT accomplished.
>>
>>383208320
This, /v/ are idiot hipster manchildren and actual children
>>
The Anons who love it are not as vocal anymore. They're too busy playing BoTW
>>
nintenbros got btfo
>>
>>383208203
Maybe you should sit down before you read this.
Ready?
/v/ is the vocal minority in video game community. Everyone still loves it.
>>
majora's mask has been hyped on forums since launch
>>
File: Literal Fish Wife.jpg (209KB, 700x1150px) Image search: [Google]
Literal Fish Wife.jpg
209KB, 700x1150px
>>383208203
Tsundere princess is shit. Deredere child hood friend is perfect.
>>
>>383208375
It hasn't aged, it's just always been mediocre. The game is piss easy. It basically plays itself.
The combat has no depth. You basically just hold your shield up, wait for an opening, and do a slash with your sword. Your slashes are so fast that you are rarely at risk. The combat is really brainless. There's almost no reason to try anything new in combat.

The combat is basically Souls but way worse since you can't control the camera independently.

Same goes for the puzzles. They're pretty brainless. I'm playing through it right now in preparation for writing a review. I have never gotten seriously stuck, and the only place where I have had to seriously think and reason was the Water Temple. That dungeon was excellent and it's definitely the highlight so far.

That said, I haven't finished the Spiirt Temple yet, or Ganon's dungeon (i forget the name).

The parts in between dungeons aren't really interesting at all. They are usually riddle-like, but no too hard to figure out.
>>
>>383208203
A revolutionary game loses its wonder in hindsight after tons of games build upon it
>>
>>383209235
What's so revolutionary about it anyway? everyone says that but I heard MegaMan Legends already did Z targeting even though i never played MML
>>
>>383209189
>comparing a literal child game to DARK SOULS
>this game is SO easy lol my review's gonna be a hit!!
>>
>>383208320
2pbp
>>
>>383209639
Except many adults play it and consider it great.
>>
File: 62808463.png (1MB, 1000x1406px) Image search: [Google]
62808463.png
1MB, 1000x1406px
>>383208203
Just because /v/ realizes it's massivly overrated, doesn't mean everyone else has friend. Go to literaly any video gaming website other than /v/, and you'll find everyone else still thinks far too highley of this game. It's not a bad game, but fuck, the way people talk about it you would think its the video game equivalent of the Mona lisa or Beethoven's 9th.
>>
>>383209691

in the context that it's a game anyone can play
>>
>what changed

Nothing. It's still an amazing game. People have just made more amazing games since then.
>>
>>383208408

This. I still think it's the best Zelda game, and I still think Wind Waker is garbage because of that shitty art style, and I still think Twilight Princess was the last decent Zelda game.

Also, BotW was garbage. And Skyward Sword doesn't exist.
>>
>>383209780
>the way people talk about it you would think its the video game equivalent of the Mona lisa or Beethoven's 9th.
That would be Melee
>>
>>383209691
yeah and I could go round around outside sucking on a lollipop, I would look fucking retarded but I could consider it great too
>>
>>383209921
That doesn't make a lollipop great cuisine. Just like children's pop music is still bad, even if it's sort of meant to be bad.
>>
>>383209552
Neither did anyone else.
>>
>>383208203
games that came out? yawn. you are an idiot.
>>
>>383208203

>What changed?

You being straight.
>>
File: 5960488096502109198483.gif (3MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
5960488096502109198483.gif
3MB, 240x180px
>>383209921
>>383209991
>unironic food analogy
>>
OOT and MM are still the best games in their genre
>>
>>383208320
This. It's still one of the best games of its genre.
>>
>>383210540
That would be Nioh and Dark Souls 3
>>
>>383209912
Fucking this. Melee was an glitchy accident.

Still a really fun game but god damn.
>>
>>383208203
egoraptor's fans parroting his shitty opinions
>>
>>383210701
>MUH WAITING
What an impatient manchild.
>>
Why was the gaming community so unenthusiastic about Majora's Mask when it came out? It's superior to OoT in every possible aspect. Was it too complicated for retards to wrap their heads around?
>>
>>383208203
A game can be overrated, and still great.
OoT is very overrated, a game it's caliber can ever live up to the legacy it's created, that being said it's still a great game, and fully playable in this day, and age.
To answer the question, contrarians, and people like Egoraptor (who most likely genuinely never liked it) being able to voice their opinion, and influence masses who probably have never played it.
>>
>>383210673
"it was an accident" is a stupid meme but it's irrelevant anyway. it's a masterpiece regardless of developer intentions.
>>
>>383208203
Remakes. OOT3D got people to replay the game and everyone realized "Hey, this is pretty fucking annoying." It also made people love Majora's Mask where as it was hated before.

For a similar occurrence, Sonic Adventure 2. Game got an HD port, everyone bought it, replayed it, realized only 33% of the game is any good.
>>
>>383209189
>reviewing one of the most popular games ever twenty years after it came out

wow I'm sure you'll have plenty of new insights and objective criticisms to bring to the table
>>
>What happened?
Merely the passage of time.
Also this. >>383208365
>>
>>383210807

I don't think OoT is overrated at all.
>>
>>383208203
The fact that so many books still name the The Ocarina of Time as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" video game ever only tells you how far video games still are from becoming a serious art. Film critics have long recognized that the greatest movies of all time are Citizen Kane and 2001: A Space Odyssey, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Video game critics are still blinded by commercial success (and nostalgia). The Ocarina of Time sold more than anyone other Zelda game (not true, by the way), therefore it must have been the greatest. Film critics grow up watching a lot of movies the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Video game critics are often totally ignorant of games of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Ocarina of Time did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>383210951
I think I do considering 99% reviews of OoT are really bad and vague.
>>
>>383210838
It's not even a masterpiece. The newest Smash Bros is clearly superior in every way. Melee fans just want to cling to their old game for hardcore gamer cred.
>>
>>383211031
Remarkable how actually true this is
was scruffy destined to be a gaming critic?
>>
>>383210673
>glitchy

it was just the game engine, dude. Air dodging gives characters momentum and according to the landing code some of carries over after hitting the ground. Dev team knew about it. You are right about the accident part though.
>>
>>383208203
People got over the wow factor and realized big empty fields aren't fun.
>>
>>383211084
ebic trole
>>
>>383208203
kids who didn't grow up with it are posting on the internet more than they were 5-10 years older
>>
>>383208203
What? Anon get the fuck out. It's not so much overrated as it is oversaturated.
>>
>>383211508

oversaturated with what?
>>
>>383211070
I'm sure the 3 people who will see your review will really take it to heart and care a lot
>>
File: Hero of Time.png (882KB, 778x1089px) Image search: [Google]
Hero of Time.png
882KB, 778x1089px
>>383208203
>Now, almost everyone agrees it's super overrated and not even great.
Fate hates Link so much now, that even he's hated on the meta level now.
>>
>>383212996
why are you upset my guy?
>>
>>383208203
they were a super loud group of kids who grew up and this was likely their first zelda, or they had played it at a really young age. Basically nostalgia
>>
>>383208203

Game Grumps fans do not represent the majority
>>
>>383213392
Jontron is the perfect example of a kid who blindly loved OoT and grew up blindly praising it.
>>
>>383211070
>99% of reviews don't agree with me and my contrarian opinions
>>
A video called "Sequelitis."
>>
>>383208203
>almost everyone

If by almost everyone you mean people too young to have had the cognitive capacity to recognize its significance upon release, then yes almost everyone.
>>
File: Majora's_Mask_(logo).png (633KB, 1234x735px) Image search: [Google]
Majora's_Mask_(logo).png
633KB, 1234x735px
>>383208203
/v/'s hopped on the Majora's Mask bandwagon to stay hip
>>
>>383213674
No, only fedora tipping children like yourself did, without even having played it.
>>
>>383208203
Wrong. It's still the best Zelda game.
>>
Got too popular so the contrarian portion of /v/ has to hate it now.
See also: Platinum, K. Rool for Smash, Rick and Morty
>>
>>383208203
>What changed?
Nothing. /v/ is contrarian to all things popular
>>
>>383208203
>"Man the first fish that learned to walk didn't really walk that great compared to the amphibians it inspired" how woulda thunk it?
>>
File: ithurts.png (22KB, 817x833px) Image search: [Google]
ithurts.png
22KB, 817x833px
>>383214043
I'm still mad
>>
>>383214114
How does this anology even work? OoT is still much more tightly designed and meaningfully interactive than most of what came out that followed it. I mean, do people seriously hold the opinion that Okami bested it somehow? Even Dark Souls actually offers less meaningfuly distinct means of manipulating the world.
>>
>>383214114
why the fuck did my auto correct change who to how?
>>
>>383208320
This
>>
most of the people that are vocal on this board and in online gaming communities in general are literal children who were born 10 years after OoT even came out. Just like people born in the late 80s think most pre-NES classics are fucking basic and uninspired these people think OoT is basic and uninspired

for me, the game is >fun and i probably do a full replay every 1 or 2 years
>>
>people claim OOT is overrated trash
>but not FF7
>>
>>383214995
FF7 is currently is limbo status. At the start, it was overrated as hell, but then people started hating it, and now they're come to mellow out.
>>
>>383208203
>Almost everyone
No, just /v/ and the rest of the contrarians. "OoT is overrated" is the most contrarian thing you can say about video-games. Its the easiest kind of contrarianism too due to the sheer popularity and cult following of it. Though the fact remains that It was a definitive milestone in gaming history that will forever be remembered fondly by the masses and no ammount of delusive contrarianism will ever change that. When and if Video Games enter the realm of Academia OoT will be cited as one of the few games to ever make a profound and deep impact on the industry as a whole and broaden the horizons of possibilities in the medium as a narrative artform.

I understand the knee-jerk against rose tints and nostalgia but OoT is a demonstrably amazing, ground-breaking game and the fact it was developed during the era it spawned from is nothing short of genius on the part of the developers.
>>
>>383214953
>didnt have a NES growing up
>had an Amiga and DOS instead
>love a bunch of games people barely even remember.

Be fair many of the greats were ported, or ports, but there are some damned classic DOS/Amiga games.
>>
>>383215204
Reverse contrarianism. Surprised OoT hadn't hit that threshold on /v/ yet. Morons still adamantly loathe the game simply because of its cult following.
>>
>>383214995
FF7 isn't popular enough with the normalfags.
They'll love it when the remake comes out though. And none of them will have played the original.
>>
>>383214953
Most pre nes console games were, before Nes consoles were a mistake, Arcade and PC is the only place where you could play games and not cringe.
>>
I remember when my dad first got it when I was a kid. For years absolutely nobody knew what Zelda was, I'd try to talk about it with people but no one had any idea.
>>
>>383209189
>it's just always been mediocre.
Zero(0) games in 1998 did adventure puzzlan better.
>>
>>383215634
>FF7
>not popular with normalfags

If you mean normalfags like 'barely away of gaming' then possibly. But FF7 was a landmark title that is, and was, heavily remembered.
>>
>>383215825
I don't think being remembered intrinsically makes something popular.
>>
>>383216090
20 years after the fact it is still remembered. Becoming enshrined in the zeitgeist for that length of time is pretty much THE definition of popularity.

And in 1997 it sure as fuck was normiecore. I had a fucking soccer mom at a laundromat ask me if I was interested in it because she was Christmas shopping and had heard buzz/seen commercials.

FF7 was 1997's Halo, CoD, Minecraft, Five Nights, etc.
>>
>>383216793
Damn sure isn't normiecore anymore.
>>
>>383214612
What I mean is OoT(and Mario 64 and half life)showed people how 3D games should function, When it came out it had excellent controls, world design and mechanics. It gave other developers the ability to take from it and expand upon it. So of course you can argue its dated, Its 19 years old but thats like complaining that the first fish with legs stubbles over sometimes.

However I know what you mean. Some games that came out after OoT were less impressive than it dispite taking from it so maybe a better analogy for that is the first amphibian and some of the fish that tried to also become amphibians could quite do it
>>
>>383208203
Uhh.....games got better? How hard is it to understand?
>>
>>383216793
FF7 got to where it was on the back of it's massive advertising campaign, I think a first for a single video game, and a big push in the trend of massive advertising budgets for mediocre games that the west would eventually copy. At FFVII's core it has it's combat and story, and neither are anything good, the game is legendary for the worst reasons, it's legendary because everyone played it, not on the merits of itself as a game.
>>
>>383211031
If only controversial articles are worthy of GoAT in their media, then you have no standard since you're basing your opinion purely on popularity all the same. Just of a different sort than that which you're against.

>>383215276
Now this is agreeable. That it is.

>>383214043
It's not that the most popular media becomes hated. It's that what's hated represents an ideological clash between the imageboards, and a small subset of backwater posters get caught in the meme. /a/ targets Naruto because it best represents classic Shonen (boy) manga and the best of its genre, anathema to what the reprobates who frequent there want to promote in their no girls club. /v/ targets Kotaku because they have a history of standing up to the industry (Sony/Konami/Famitsu/Gamestop).
>>
>>383208203
I still think that the game is a masterpiece of its time

It set gold standards games released THIS YEAR still fail to meet
>>
File: ruto.png (878KB, 1534x2022px) Image search: [Google]
ruto.png
878KB, 1534x2022px
>>383208995
She's cuter.
>>
>>383208203
People grew up.
>>
>>383209780
>the way people talk about it you would think its the video game equivalent of the Mona lisa or Beethoven's 9th.

It is, like, literally

The mona lisa is nice and all but pales in comparison

ABSOLUTELY pales

Compared to modern pieces and what can be done with art today, especially with digital art

And, no one fucking listens to beethoven's 9th anymore, frankly, it's boring and old, let's be real here, and has been for more than 100 years

OoT is very dated graphics wise and mechanically, but it was a masterpiece of its time

But a notable difference is that, unlike 9th or mona lisa, people still care about and play OoT from time to time
>>
>>383208203
It's ok. It was great for it's time but other games have surpassed it.
>>
Did some faggot eceleb make a video or rant against OoT? That's always my guess when it comes to trends.
>>
>>383221342
Why do good artists waste their talents drawing landwhales?
>>
File: 00cover.jpg (488KB, 1280x1796px) Image search: [Google]
00cover.jpg
488KB, 1280x1796px
>>383223081
Cause it makes my peepee feel funny.
>>
>>383223317
At least she's canonically a landwhale.
>>
>>383208203
>most people

You spend too much time on /v/
>>
>>383211084
(You)
>>
>>383208203
Little, edgy kids grew up to generic, uninspired, twenty somethings, but their intellect did not.
>>
>>383208365
>Romani's Ranch and them aliums.
Shit was scary as a kid.

Loved it tho.
>>
>>383208203
youtube personalities wanting clicks
>>
>>383208203
It's impossible for something NOT to be overrated when it gets such ridiculous praise. The game is still very good.
>>
>>383209189
You're comparing OoT to Dark Souls. OoT does a lot of things really well. Sure calling it the greatest game is a stretch but it introduces decent story telling with interesting game mechanics and puzzle segments. It's overall a very solid game. So solid that every console Zelda apart from BotW have tried to mimic OoT's gameplay. Many other games share some of it's conception of a dungeon in 3D. They got everything right with that game. The only complaints I can think of are that the Shadow and Light Temples are pretty shit. Also some boss battles are too easy.
>>
people realized how much of a better game Undertale is.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.