[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hollow knight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

Heard some good things about it. Should I get it or wait until a drop in price?
>>
I liked it.
>>
>>383187119
It's on sale at the Humble Store
>>
Wasn't there just a steam sale?
>>
Do you exploring? It's not really a "tight" experience, there's lots of wandering around a bit too much backtracking if you want the true final boss. I love it because I don't mind that stuff, but it's not for everybody.
>>
average as fuck
>>
>>383188139
Agreed
>>
Best 2D game ever created, absolutely worth it. Fuck, even pirate it if you can't afford it
>>
>>383189425
Should that always be the case?
>>
I really liked it. Most complaints you'll hear are "It's nothing new if you play a lot of metroidvanias"

So if you don't play a lot of the genre you'll probably enjoy it
>>
>>383187119
It's okay. Not a must-play or lifechanging though - and people are right, it's really reiterative in terms of actual unlocks and such.

But it's decent. You know whether or not that's worth 15, 10 or 5 to you.
>>
>>383190660
I disagree. I have played dozens of Metroidvanias, but this has to be one of my favorites. Great music, great environments that are fun to explore, tight combat.

It's not perfect; there aren't enough fast-travel stations (really needs to be one near the lower tram), there's a bit too much backtracking in some parts, the map mechanics are kind of annoying at times, and then there's Deepnest.

However, it is better than Ori and the Blind Forest.
>>
>>383190882
Being better than Ori is a very low bar to cross
>>
>>383190882
The combat is anything but tight. Hitting enemies makes you bounce back, taking control away from you. Moving without player input is supposed to be punishment for getting hit. Imagine having recoil every time you fire in Super Metroid or Aria of Sorrow.

Have they fixed all the frame drops yet? I played the game a little on release and it would be choppy during some fights
>>
>>383189425
I liked Ori more.
>>
>>383192293
It's been patched to hell and back, should be better now.
>>
>>383189425
>Best 2D game ever created

I don't usually call people shills on 4chan. But you can go fuck yourself.
>>
>>383187119

>Ooh look at me i'm a graphic designer that loves the soulsborne games. I got unity free edition and made a platformer XD

Fucking scum developers with their low hanging fruit easy to make bullshittery.

Most devs have balls. They'll try their harderst to innovate because they genuinely love gaming. It's a world to explore and they can make amazing discoveries.

But not Hollow Knight. This is a collage of themes and ideas that other games have done before (and better), but polished to such a degree that normies think it's a work of genius.

How the fuck are we at the point where NINTENDO is making the most innovative games in the industry and Indies are still making fucking metroidvanias with a "sad isolating" atmosphere. It's technically very well made, but adds nothing to the gaming world. It is HOLLOW.

Rant over.
>>
>>383192508
Name a better one then you stupid faggot
>>
>>383192293
>The combat is anything but tight. Hitting enemies makes you bounce back, taking control away from you. Moving without player input is supposed to be punishment for getting hit. Imagine having recoil every time you fire in Super Metroid or Aria of Sorrow.
>What is recoil?

Anyway there's a item in the game that removes that mechanic and it's easy to find early in the game.

>Have they fixed all the frame drops yet? I played the game a little on release and it would be choppy during some fights

There was a patch that fixed that I think. Everything is silky smooth on my PC.
>>
>>383192293

that's not necessarily a bad thing though. if you do the ducktales attack, its normal to bounce in the air. If you hit someone head on and there's a bit of recoil, that can be a bit annoying, but it could even be used strategically.
>>
>>383187119
Could have gotten it for $10 during the Steam sale.

You can still get it for $10 in Humble Store.
>>
>>383192550

not everything has to be completely innovative. The game has a nice hand drawn art style and animations and the bug theme is fun and rarely done before. A game can be derivative and still fun. If there are good mechanics for one to copy, there's nothing wrong with copying them. In fact, borrowing aspects from different creations is how we get better.
>>
File: 1431882065171.jpg (18KB, 241x210px) Image search: [Google]
1431882065171.jpg
18KB, 241x210px
>>383189425
>Best 2D game ever created
Most of it was good, but the white palace can go fuck itself
>>
File: dergs.png (253KB, 368x377px) Image search: [Google]
dergs.png
253KB, 368x377px
>>383192550
>A game has to be completely original to be good
>>
Where are my hornet lewds?
>>
>>383193109
White Palace is fine.

At least it is once you figure out you can bounce off buzzsaws to just skip so much of the goddamn place, turn off audio, use Hiveblood and find the permanently missable secret areas.

Actually yeah it's not great.
>>
trash, move on. The shill is strong with this one
>>
>>383192929

Hollow Knight is 100% derivative. That is not good.

I'm totally cool with 90% derivative and 10% innovative. Heck 95% is passable, but to add NOTHING back is shameful. To simply steal the hard work of others (Soulsbourne, Metroid) and create nothing new in return sickens me.

I'm a jelly game dev btw. Most of my anger is jelly.
>>
>>383193351

I did't ever say the game was bad. You may want to actually read posts before replying. I said the DEVS were thieving scumbags. Not that the game was bad. It's a very well made game, as I said in my first post.
>>
>>383193815
Well I mean if the charm system and momentum-based pogosticking sequence breaking and aerial combat don't count as innovative then whatever.
>>
>>383193815

But they are adding something new. They're adding a fun game. A game can be derivative as fuck and fun anyways. I care more about the hard work behind the game and the passion put behind the work of the devs. If the industry was stagnating its one thing, but a metroidvania platformer with some dark souls thematic/mechanic inspirations and a bug theme isn't boring to me m8
>>
>>383194143
It's like you've never played shovel knight
>>
>>383192508
metroid or castlevania
>>
>>383194894
Nah the duck-tales/shovel knight pogosticking isn't really comparable, you don't send yourself flying around an arena with no floor just resetting your dash/double-jump constantly.

I mean Trial of Fools pissed a lot of people off, but it's really where the combat shines and shows that it was built from the ground up to accentuate the platforming rather than just be a roadblock that slows you down. You get faster with enemies, you're not stopping to deal with them, which is what allows them to get away with stuff like the spaced out fast-travel points.

It's alright. That's really what Hollow Knight brings to the table mechanically.
>>
File: 1483530197772.jpg (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483530197772.jpg
73KB, 1920x1080px
>tfw impossible for me to beat trial of fools
>>
>>383194054
What property, exactly, did they steal? Whose is it? What copyrights, trademarks, or patents have they infringed upon? What contracts have they breached? What laws were broken?
>>
>>383198710
Nailmaster charm and quick dreamnail charm
>>
My biggest complaint about the game is the fucking memesouls death system.

The fact that you heal from hitting things means that for the most part, you can just slug your way through little enemies and heal up.
The real difficulty comes from situations where you can't do that, mostly bosses.

Now in Castlevania, they generally go ahead and say "ok, since bosses are harder, we'll put a save point right across from the boss room".

But because of meme souls, they put the fucking save points 30 rooms away from the boss so if you die you have to spend the next 10 minutes doing a pointless corpse run through a mess of the same weak enemies you just beat earlier.

Bluh.
>>
>>383202113
I can't think of a single boss where the bench wasn't a 30 second walk away
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.