[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was the PS2 so amazing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 630x.jpg (90KB, 630x554px) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
90KB, 630x554px
>>
>>383160964
Because /v/ wasnt around to shitpost about it.
>>
You were a child when it came out and life hadn't depressed you to the point of finding zero joy in anything so every video game was the best game ever.
>>
>>383161303
Pretty much, instead of forcing yourself to find fun in games because you need to escape your reality you just enjoyed them because you liked them.
>>
>>383160964
>all the best games got ported
lol
>>
>>383160964
A variety of factors:
>It was a fantastic mid point between graphics and budgets. Games like Shadow of the Colossus could be made with small teams and still look on par with other releases because of this.
>Japanese devs were still dominate, creating innovative and unique games.
>Since budgets to make games weren't ballooned yet, this allowed for plenty of mid-tier and experimental titles.
>DLC, Microtransactions, and patches weren't a mainstream thing on consoles yet, forcing developers to properly QA their game before it shipped instead of relying on patches to fix their game.
>The lack of mainstream online infrastructure meant companies couldn't jew their consumers yet with DLC either.
>The industry was still relatively young, allowing for revolutionary genre-defining titles like GTA3, Devil May Cry, MGS2, etc.

The main thing is that Western devs fucking ballooned game development costs in the 7th gen in pursuit of graphics because that's what the lowest common denominator of casuals/normies, who now made up the majority of the market thanks to the 360, wanted. This forced a lot Japanese companies to either make their mid-tier games on handhelds or die off.
>>
File: dlcon6thgen.png (3MB, 4197x6990px) Image search: [Google]
dlcon6thgen.png
3MB, 4197x6990px
>>383163480
>>
>>383163869
Why is there's always some triggered Anon when someone mentions DLC wasn't mainstream during the 6th generation? This is a fact. Only the OG Xbox, which sold like shit, had DLC and the vast majority of it was free.
>>
File: edge1996.jpg (519KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
edge1996.jpg
519KB, 900x1200px
>>383164597
>>383163480
totally bro gaming was soo niche back then, im sure all 100 million people who bought a playstation and all 150 million people who bought a ps2 were hardcore gamers like you and i :)
>>
>>383165807
It wasn't niche, the demographics changed.
>>
File: eyetoy.jpg (49KB, 353x500px) Image search: [Google]
eyetoy.jpg
49KB, 353x500px
>>383166049
totally bro :)
>>
>>383165807

>implying the rise of the internet and global communication didn't inherently make games bigger

Gen 6 was still pretty popular but games were just barely breaking out of being niche at that point, there wasn't daily 24/7 saturation like there is now.

Also PS2 was a cheap DVD player so not shit this multifunctional box sold gang busters
>>
>>383166246
just because it was bigger now doesnt mean it was niche back then
>>
>>383161615

>implying I don't do that now

I can't believe people actually take a lot of the negativity here seriously. How pathetic
>>
File: CjyvcF3W0AE6xiM.jpg (57KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CjyvcF3W0AE6xiM.jpg
57KB, 600x338px
>>
>>383161303
>every video game was the best game ever.
This has never been true, and I started gaming on the original NES and Amiga, upgrading to next-gen consoles and finally PC as well as years rolled.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.