[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dead Space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 21

File: dead-space.jpg (121KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dead-space.jpg
121KB, 1920x1080px
Why did this franchise have such an unfortunate fate, /v/?
It started out extremely great, and even though it had the typical jew DLC weapon and armor skins, it was a fun survival horror that still looks and plays great today.
Then 2 came out, it was faster and more action game-y, but still scary at times. Then chapters 10-15 came, flushed all the good things about it down the drain and turned it into something akin to an arena shooter.
And 3 was so horrible it still hurts to talk about.
>>
I think 3 had cool ideas that got fucked up by EA rushing Visceral.
Like there are parts if it that work really well, but the parts that suck(aka the rest) kill it
>>
So what happened with 3? I only played the first two.
>>
>>383155873
It was always a better shooter than it was a horror game
>>
>>383157525
Long story short
EA tried to turn a niche action-horror franchise into a AAA shooter and when it didn't sell cod numbers they tabled the series
>>
>>383157525
The plot got dumber
There's less horror elements and there's coop now
Pacing is fucked thanks to the longer campaign and the amount of backtracking
Weapon crafting and universal ammo, ruined the combat
But seriously, the plot is really shit. Everything else can be forgiven but the plot and characters are so shitty, nonsensical, and shat on the lore so hard that it just single handedly destroying the experience.

I wouldn't recommend it
>>
>>383155873
>Dead Space
>scary at times

It's a game about shooting space zombies into pieces with satisfying weapons, you don't get more cathartic and less scary than that

>Then chapters 10-15 came, flushed all the good things about it down the drain and turned it into something akin to an arena shooter.

Are you really talking shit about the chapter when you revisit the Ishimura and the later chapters where the fights get genuinely intense? Did you somehow also miss all the "arena fights" that were in the first game too?
>>
>>383157525
It's J U S T: the game.

You remember isaac got rid of nicole's hallucinations and fucked off out of the space station with ellie right? Apparently they got together but almost immediately broke up because of isaac's mental issues, nevermind that ellie willingly hooked up with him even though she already knew he was fucked in the head because she saw him break out of the looney bin back in titan station.

Isaac turned into a depressed alcoholic.

The main villain looks like fucking elton john.

The first thing ellie does when you find her is kiss his new boyfriend right in front of you.

Said boyfriend betrays all of your crew and then tries to kill you but fails and you kill him instead, ellie gets mad at you and doesn't even let you explain what happened or seems to care about the betrayal.

The dismember-to-kill mechanic gets scrapped: bodyshots are just as effective, in fact the plasma cutter got nerfed and the best weapon in the game is some kind of rivet minigun with an underbarrel air blaster.

The co-op, my god the fucking co-op, if you play the game this way the plot doesn't make sense because it requires carver (your partner) to be with the other survivors and not right beside you fighting necros, it looks like he fucks off in cutscenes, teleports around and then jarringly appears next to you with no explanation.

The dlc campaign also makes the entire fucking series pointless, all of the things that were sacrificed in order to fight against space zombies were for naught because humanity is going to get eaten by planet sized necromorphs anyway and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
>>
File: Lopatino.jpg (144KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Lopatino.jpg
144KB, 500x375px
The one thing I truly liked about 3 was the environment designs. The scuttled SCAF fleet above and many of the bases and outposts on the surface were really nice to explore because of it. Then again, abandoned stuff in general gives me an exploration boner
>>
>>383155873
>Why did this franchise have such an unfortunate fate, /v/?
That's just what EA does to franchises and continue to do to this very day. The fact that this was a good game published by EA was a blessing and a curse.
>>
it didnt sell 2 million first week, or some shit, so EA scrapped it.
>>
Dead Space was going to be the next game i played
Either that or Resident Evil Remaster.
Which one?
>>
I fucking love this game so much I keep replaying it from time to time.
>>
>>383161074
>>
>>383159795
The DLC ending was a gigantic fuck you to the entire series, more so than the base game

Despite all the shit 3 has, the ending was a nice wrap up for the trilogy, because Isaac finally can stop suffering. But nope, it has to continue somehow. And it's a fucking cliffhanger too.
>>
>>383161074
Same. It's become one of my favorite horror games.
>>
File: stalker.jpg (77KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stalker.jpg
77KB, 1920x1080px
the more I think about it, I think Issac may be my favorite video game antagonist ever, preferred when he was silent though.

I enjoyed dead space 1 a lot, but I think it was too easy..I fucked myself out of all those delicious death animations because I played meticulously. There really was an emergent threat of death around every corner, and other times quiet corridors.
>>
>>383157915
>>383158172
>>383159795
Thanks. I'll Deff give this a pass.
>>
File: perfect.jpg (16KB, 220x230px) Image search: [Google]
perfect.jpg
16KB, 220x230px
>>383161349
Seeing the bridge reminded me of the freaky as fuck divider thing you fight there. And those fucking noises it makes
>>
File: 2016-07-21 20_31_42-Greenshot.jpg (1MB, 3360x1890px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-21 20_31_42-Greenshot.jpg
1MB, 3360x1890px
>>383161965
>>
a current or next gen open world version of this game would be good, or even like a destiny style loot based version with your crew killing aliens. so much couldve been done with this franchise and world oh well.
>>
>>383155873
i disliked how they made ds2 much more action oriented
ds1 is easily the best action horror game i've ever played
>>
>>383162293
What a shitty idea
>>
>>383161965
Have you played 2? The stalkers are even worse, personally i always loathed the pregnant things glued to the walls, jesus christ their fucking screams.
>>
>>383162293
>a current or next gen open world version of this game would be good
Please no. This series doesn't need to be turned into an open world game too. I'm so tired of that shit.
>>
File: medical.webm (3MB, 900x504px) Image search: [Google]
medical.webm
3MB, 900x504px
>>383162293
You have such shitty ideas that you could apply for a job at EA.
>>
At the time, I had never played a PC port that was as bad as dead space 1

But then it slowly began to dawn on me that the 3rd person view was a console concession for the inferior controller, and that it was never intended or designed for PC at all

DS1 was the game that taught me that all development paths were being streamlined, and all future AAA design would favor the limitations of the handheld controller. From that day, I only buy or play games that are specifically made for PC only.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (65KB, 1327x798px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
65KB, 1327x798px
>>383155873
>mfw i played with headphones on for the first time
>>
File: the-no-thanks-guy.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
the-no-thanks-guy.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
>>383162293
>>
>>383162695
>muh first person jumpscare walking simulators are better guise!
I bet you loved resident meme seven: meme jack edition.

The shitty kbm controls in the first game were actually because of the v-sync option, you need to enable it from nvidia settings not the game itself.
>>
>>383162442
Stalkers are more terrifying because they -will- fuck you up. Those wall-huggers though, I learned really fucking quickly not to get close to them
>>
>>383163089
I'm glad that you can enjoy the games you like

there's no additional dialogue between us, however
>>
>>383162293
Are you EA Employee?
>>
File: 1496635797492.png (21KB, 262x224px) Image search: [Google]
1496635797492.png
21KB, 262x224px
>tfw the first game is in GOG so you don't have to put up with origin
>>
File: engine room.webm (3MB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
engine room.webm
3MB, 800x448px
>>383163629
Does it come with any fixes for mouse?
Or do you still have to apply them yourself?
>>
>>383163889
No idea, i've always played with controller and manually applied the fix anyway because 144 fps instead of locked 30 is much better.
>>
>>383162426
>>383162462
>>383162559
>>383162907
>>383163323
shutup fags, destiny and pubg are some of the biggest games out even Anthem is hopping on the loot world bandwagon. the franchise is dead because you niche fags want to keep your linear single player game stuck living in the past.
>>
>>383165912
>it's good if because all flies like shit
>>
>>383160881
>EA acquires TimeSplitters
>it becomes a generic shooter with TimeSplitters assets
>>
>>383166207
>millions of people prefer something over the other
>this doesnt mean its good

muh subjective opinions!
>>
>>383166382
>the series should do totall 180degrees so it can sell for big money
Because that totally worked last time for Dead Space.
>>
>>383160709
the ghost flotilla and the alien city looked amazing

3 had lots of flaws but the art design was 10/10
>>
>>383162117
Damn, graphics really hold up.
>>
>>383163889
Man Visceral Games were really good back then DS1&2 and Dante's inferno were really good. Too bad their last game was some shitty battlefield game.
>>
>>383155873
It switched atmosphere too fast for me to considers it great. The very beginning of first game is amazing and scary as hell, with highpoint being when you run in pure terror to the elevator with no weapons. But the moment you get stasis and few upgrades it becomes visceral shoot em up.

Still love it though.
>>
>>383163089
>Shitting on RE7
Well at least you didnt went full retard comparing with Outlast...but you still have bad taste.
>>
File: 1468577335737.jpg (38KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1468577335737.jpg
38KB, 700x500px
>>383162293
The world would be better if people like you went away.
>>
>>383167454
Not him, but RE 7 is the first RE I couldnt stomach to finish. Really bad game.
>>
>>383167501
shutup fag, go vote for trump or whatever you retards do here.
>>
>>383167501
Stop giving him (you's) for fuck sake.
>>
>>383160957
Dead Space is supreme
>>
Who here enjoyed 2's multiplayer and wished it was still alive?
>>
>>383162293
>Destiny style

FUCK YOU
>>
>>383167857
Just about every single day of my life. Shit was hella unbalanced but still so much fun.
I would pay so much for a remastered collection with the multi.
>>
>>383155873
>It started out extremely great, and even though it had the typical jew DLC weapon and armor skins, it was a fun survival horror that still looks and plays great today.
It started out as largely mediocre game with a couple of good if simple ideas. But we were all blown away with it because A) that was actually the peak of the gaming dark ages - for all the harping on the industry we do today, things are incomparably better than they were around the time DS came out) and B) it came out of EA and nobody expected anything but WORST of them at the time unless it had a Bioware label.

Dead Space 1 was a B'grade action movie take on System Shock formula and it was almost utterly unremakable compared to many of it's predecesors, and really lacked in good atmosphere due to it's lack of any subtlety, childish obsession with gore and incredibly generic setpieces. But it had good gunplay and while the level design was attrocious, the way that the game was layed out on Ishimura actually made the environments kinda neat.

So for an EA game in 2008 it was miraculous, but outside of narrow perspective, it was OK at best.

As for what went wrong: well it was clear that stuff that was good about it was there by accident, simply because the game copied some mechanics and elements from other better games out of lack of creativity.
The studio never knew what made it worked, so naturally they attempted to make it bigger, louder... and it ended up terrible. No suprise there.
>>
>>383162293
That's a terrible idea but I would kill for dead space 1 to get an HD remaster.
>>
>>383168019
destiny is a good game and destiny 2 will be even better. shutup idiot.

>>383168173
it is an hd remaster and even better because its like 4 times the size of dead space 1 because its a huge open world
>>
>>383155873
>Talking about 2 as if it isn't the best in the series

Get out of here fag. If all you're playing dead space for is the horror aspect then you're doing it wrong. Dead space 2 improved in literally every aspect aside from horror. Even the areas were more unique. While the Ishimura is cool, it hardly has any differing design and ends up being one long corridor.

Like someone pointed out on this thread. Dead space was always a better shooter than horror game and the fact that the second game realized that and perfected it to a T is what makes that game far better than 1 ever was.
>>
>>383157915
>EA tried to turn a niche action-horror franchise
Dead Space is about as Niche as fucking Paranormal Activity and it's spin-offs are niche.
I'm not diminishing the sheer amount of FUCK MY SHIT UP that went on with the third game, but Dead Space was never a niche game.
>>
File: Isaac is QPU misaligned .webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Isaac is QPU misaligned .webm
1MB, 1280x720px
both 1 and 2 does atmosphere really fucking well, maybe even the best.
>>
>>383168313
>Like someone pointed out on this thread. Dead space was always a better shooter than horror game and the fact that the second game realized that and perfected it to a T is what makes that game far better than 1 ever was.
Dead Space had absolutely no atmosphere what so ever, the gimmicks from the first game were getting stale as fuck, the environments were MUCH less interesting and immersive, the storyline went on full retarded and the last third of the game was just chore to slog through.

It had some good moments (actually, one really good moment) and obviously it went "bigger, more polished" which made it more accessible and better flowing, and added more variety (though at the expense of atmosphere) to it, but it did lost the actual atmosphere. And that was really what did set the first game appart. It was Ishimura and it's good structure that made it somewhat memorable.
>>
>>383168639
That's cool spicy opinion you got there but you are fucking wrong
>good use of light
>ambient sounds
>good use of particles
>sterilic ship mixed with gore everywhere
>industrial look
Saying Dead Space had no atmosphere is fucking retarded and shows that you either haven't played it or blasted through the game and have not paid attention at all.
>>
File: 1389719920288.jpg (16KB, 281x349px) Image search: [Google]
1389719920288.jpg
16KB, 281x349px
>>383168639
>Dead Space had absolutely no atmosphere what so ever
>>
>>383168639
I think he meant dead space 2 has no atmosphere and that 1 was better because it did.

I think. He should be more clear about what game he's referring to
>>
File: 1496765363965.jpg (1MB, 4601x2365px) Image search: [Google]
1496765363965.jpg
1MB, 4601x2365px
>>383168639
>Dead Space had absolutely no atmosphere what so ever
>>
Did anyone ever use the dodge roll in 3? I legitimately forgot i had it in my first playthrough, later on i used it only when a spitter showed up and was too far away for my acid shotgun to kill it with a headshot.
>>
File: isaac.jpg (172KB, 797x866px) Image search: [Google]
isaac.jpg
172KB, 797x866px
>>383162293
I think open world could work in Dead Space if it was Metroid style with some kind of sequence breaking for players who already now all the mechanics and secret/optional areas.
Although I really like the series for its linear approach.
>>
>>383169197
>>383169157
>>383169572
Sorry, that was supposed to say "Dead Space 2 had no atmosphere what so ever."
The first game was held together by the limited space of the ship, and the fact that the game managed to KINDA map the place out to make it feel almost like an actual location as opposed to a set of random corridors.

That said: >>383169157
>good use of light
>ambient sounds
>good use of particles
>sterilic ship mixed with gore everywhere
>industrial look
And Transformers had really god special effects too: production and tech does not conjure up good atmosphere if there isn't an actual idea behind it. DS2 in particular was a collection of incredibly cheap gore, generic environments with no actual tone, absolutely no pacing or sense of subtlety in any way.

There was ONE segment of the entire game that was kinda neat. This one segment where I think you were at the top of the station, getting some array fixed or something. There were almost no enemies through out the entire level, it was very non-linear and you had to explore the environment. It had some gorgeous space vistas, generally actually interesting art direction and actual pacing and sense of eeriness about it, and it felt like something out of an actual Alien movie.
That was neat. Then it was back to the same old predictable over-the-top overproduced but ultimately uninspired dull grind of gore and dull levels.
At least the combat was kinda fun. But the atmosphere was shit.
>>
>>383169729
Dead space is pretty perfect for a metroid clone honestly.
>>
>>383169881
Well then, be specific next time anon, so you won't get this many (YOU)'s next time.
And I do agree, DS2 atmosphere was lacking a lot, some places had great visuals like Unithology Church but it was still lacking.
>>
File: 1494749598278.gif (3MB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
1494749598278.gif
3MB, 280x280px
Just imagine new Dead Space with atmosphere of 1 and cutting edge graphics making Necros look even more visceral and disgusting.

Now imagine if it also had 3D
>>
>>383169729
I don't think that is what Open world means. But yeah, as Prey had proven, interconnected "metroidvania" style levels work very well for sci-fi horror-ish System Shock-inspired games. Though Prey kinda fumbled the whole horror aspect of it. Mechanically it is a good match.

I do think that Dead Space, with it's very shallow and very narrow-focused mechanics did ultimately work better entirely linear, with the revisting old locations being only visual and not mechanically relevant.

>>383170074
I don't think Dead Space in particular, but Dead-Space or more precisely System Shock-like game is a perfect fit.
>>
>>383170109
>Well then, be specific next time anon, so you won't get this many (YOU)'s next time.
It's not that I was not wanting to be specific, it's that I made a typo. I can assure you that was not on intention. I don't need these kinds of (YOU)'s.
>>
>>383169881
The solar array part did have enemies, it had one of those tentacles that shoots spike missiles or something.

The ishimura also had some great atmosphere, i was expecting a 1:1 recreation but was surprised to find that it looked like the goverment actually went through the entire zone to find survivors, investigate the area and the quarantine/condemn it.
>>
File: ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.png (218KB, 298x392px) Image search: [Google]
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING.png
218KB, 298x392px
>>383170304
>doesn't need (You)'s
That's a lie and you know it, everyone comes here just for them nowdays.
>>
>>383162559
That's honestly amazing; anyone with gamedev knowledge knows how they did this? Or at the very least can someone tell me what I should look up?
>>
>>383170602
>Being impressed by particles in current year
Tech is old as yer mum lad
>>
the dead space franchise was doomed to fail because EA made it...no real other explination needed.
>>
>>383170602
>thinking it's new or even groundbreaking
FEAR uses a lot of the same tricks and it's from 2002, fucking modern AAA games man i swear they're making kids retarded with their shit graphics and middling use of effects.
>>
>>383155873
Was never that good desu. 1 was repetitive as all hell, 2 had more variety in encounters and the levels were better looking but yeah the last few chapter shit the bed. Even before that though it feels like it tries to be uncharted and the story was awful this time. Never played 3.
>>
>>383170876
The cool EA made it though.
>all NFS games pre prostreet
>DA origins
>burnout
>>
>>383170536
>The solar array part did have enemies, it had one of those tentacles that shoots spike missiles or something.
That is why I said "almost" no enemies. I'm not advocating that horror games should have no enemies, by the way. Just that it should use pacing some good tempo play, and actually make you pay attention to the environment, not just use it as a shooting gallery.

The Ishimura part was decent mostly because Ishimura was a charismatic environment in the first game. I still don't remember much of it: I remember most of the first game, but my god the entirety of the second one is one giant blur. I remember the solar Arrays pretty well, I remember that one silly scene in the kindergarten solely due to cheap shock value, I remember the contamination shit on walls of Ishimura, and I remember how utterly AWFUL the final parts were with those mine-esque levels.

That is all. It was all so damn unmemorable and generic.

>>383170547
I don't need (YOU)'s caused by my own stupidity or mistake. I like discussion. I could not care less for replies that I can't argue with sincerely. I have no clue how the shitposters do it.
>>
>>383155873
Dead Space turned into Lost Planet, and Lost Planet turned into a Gears clone staring Nicolas Cage and John Cusack's love child.
>>
DS3 is wonderful game.
>>
>>383170968
Been making some games and just wanted to know how they did this. Just thought it was a pretty cool effect, as old and as small as it may be.

I'll give FEAR a look.

Now that I look a bit more closely, looks like quite simple
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.