[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Skyward Sword one of the worst Zelda games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: 1494404532842.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494404532842.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Why is Skyward Sword one of the worst Zelda games?
>>
>pseudo-tutorial that takes ages
>revisiting the same areas over and over again
>facing the same bosses several times
>sky is a vast yet completely boring and empty overworld
>Fi is the most annoying companion ever
>stupid fighting mechanics that turn every battle into Simon Says
>flat and lackluster soundtrack (minus a few exceptions)
>item collection is pointless and tedious
>upgrading gear doesn't mean shit since the game is so easy

I wonder why it wasn't good. That's not even mentioning anything about the controls or the story.
>>
>>383139697
it's not. I don't understand any other complaints besides the obvious ones ("Muh Fi!" and "Wagglan sucks")

That's a honest opinion of someone who played both SS and BotW for the first time this very year. And no, neither was my first anything; I'd played all the main-series games.

The world and cast are just top-tier.
>>
>>383139697
It's not. From OoT through SS they're all pretty much identical. You see them through fanboy eyes and imagine bigger differences than there are. Sure WW changed up the look and MM added a time element but the gameplay is nearly identical in all of them. Right down to the excessive handholding and puzzle types.

BotW is a great step in a better direction but even that is still lock on combat with the same weapon types and mild variation on the kidnapped princess plot.

I'm not calling it a bad series either. It's fun. But little changes overall. BotW stopped telling you exactly what to do every second and let you explore more but that says more about how stagnant the series had gotten than about how great the game is.
>>
The biggest complaints I regularly hear are "tutorials that never end and question your intelligence" and "holy shit Fi shut the fuck up for once in your life."
>>
>>383140183
The Imprisoned is a fucking terrible fight and they make you do it THREE FUCKING TIMES.

And not only do they make you do it three times, it's the same fucking thing every time
>>
>>383140197
For what it's worth, Skyward Sword introduced the stamina bar, and that system stuck.
>>
Because you think Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild are the best.
>>
>>383140197
While I get where you're coming from, that's quite harsh trivializing of all of the games' gameplay in whole.

>>383140291
>The Imprisoned is a fucking terrible fight and they make you do it THREE FUCKING TIMES.
Why do people hate the Imprisoned?
I fucking LOVED it. And how it evolved. Actually pretty hands sweating, exciting fights, and the design is simple yet phobia-inflicting.
>>
File: lickkkie.gif (128KB, 213x196px) Image search: [Google]
lickkkie.gif
128KB, 213x196px
>>383140150
>sky is a vast yet completely boring and empty overworld
I never understood this, it was more of a hubworld than an overworld.
The pre-dungeon areas of the surface made up for the emptiness of the sky. Sure, it wasnt open but it had shit to do in it and it was like a pre-dungeon that played around with how you traverse it.
>>
File: The_Imprisoned_Third_Battle.png (405KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
The_Imprisoned_Third_Battle.png
405KB, 800x587px
>>383140421
>phobia-inflicting
YLYL
>>
>>383140525
still not laughting.
>>
>>383140183
>>383140447
If it was "just a hubworld" why were there like a billion tiny islands where nothing happened? It was obviously supposed to be some kind of overworld that you "explore" throughout the course of the game.

The problem is that there is jackshit to explore or do in the first place so it's just waste of time.

MM's Termina Field is a hubworld done correctly. Small place that clearly connects to the other areas of the game while featuring some secrets for you to discover.
>>
File: noddle2.gif (543KB, 288x296px) Image search: [Google]
noddle2.gif
543KB, 288x296px
>>383140730
It's a hubworld that connects to pre-dungeon areas that were practically dungeons in their own right

It was a hub to 3(4 if you count skyloft) areas and the passing time was just medial nonsense that barely served much purpose.

I never said it was a hubworld done right, if anything, I'd rather the sky not have anything at all and they just expand and connect the surface world together.

I think people treat it as the "overworld" because it's the area you "fly your animal on"

Akin OOT's Hyrule Field, until you reach Kakariko and have to get off to go to Death Mountain.

Skyward's Surface world was probably the good part with its dungeons being pretty decent, Lanayru's Timestone mechanic being the highlight.
>>
>>383140730
it's a hub world WITH exploration. Not an overworld.
People still have hard time making the distinction nowadays?
>>
The game is just a constant stream of waiting for something interesting to happen. You wait and wait and then you realize that boring shit you did was supposed to be the interesting part. There's a few exceptions like that time travel desert stuff but overall it's just a chore.

The game is so unrewarding you want to go out of your way to not do stuff. That's not what a game is supposed to make you think.
>>
>>383139697
It's better than windwaker and twilight princess
>>
>>383139697
waggle controls
>>
I had more fun with it than I did with OoT on release. It's not my favourite game by any means, but I simply skipped through Fi's dialogue, never used the dowsing mechanic or whatever it was called, and didn't see much harm in revisiting areas since they switched up the areas each time. If anything, the revisits felt like they were testing your gleaned knowledge of the areas in question like a final exam: Now that you knew what the areas looked like from your first visit, the game could provide more difficult challenges.
The motion controls worked fine for me. I didn't mind the Imprisoned either, as they changed up the fight each time and it was nice to have a boss with a time limit. Drawing back the bowstring with the nunchuk made me hard.
My major complaints with the game are that the story dropped the ball in the last third, the Sky should've been significantly more interesting, Fi's character development should have more interspersed throughout the game as Midna's had been instead of randomly occurring at the ending, and the harp playing is shit. It feels like they were going to do more with the Loftwings and the harp playing given the focus placed on the Loftwings at the beginning and the clear amount of work that they spent modelling and making animations for the harp to a point where you can specifically strum particular high or low notes, and then scaled back because testers complained or some such. It's a pity. I really did get the sense that you were supposed to play the harp yourself though at some point.
Regardless of Fi's character being poorly written, I ended up with some affection for her. When they played her sound effect at the end of the Trial of the Sword in BotW, I teared up and was shocked for it.
>>
>>383144387
this
>>
>>383139697
Making SS not so bad is actually pretty easy.
>remove fi
>remove majority of story or make it skippable
>remove motion controls
There's a lot more wong with the game, but this would make me consider replaying it at least

BOTW on the otherhand would need a major face lift to the point where it would just be easier to make a new game with the same engine than to fix it.
>>
File: promo316219864.jpg (153KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
promo316219864.jpg
153KB, 1279x720px
"ONE" of the worst?
>>
File: bait what the hell.jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
bait what the hell.jpg
8KB, 236x236px
>>383145491
>making SS not so bad is pretty easy
>just remove literally all of the game
>but BotW is awful to a point of requiring a completely new game
ok bud
>>
>>383145880
how is removing dialogue and motion controls equate to "all of the game"?
>>
>>383145860
Apparently people just don't count Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Triforce Heroes, or Four Swords
>>
>>383146438
I can't imagine how SS would play without motion controls, for one thing. Also, by remove most of the story I assume that you meant story content including dungeons, my bad.
>>
>>383146662
You misunderstand. It is THE worst. And Phantom Hourglass is a good game aside from the controls.
>>
>>383146662
Tri Force and Four Swords are both very good multiplayer experiences and not bad at all. They just have weaker single player modes, but are still fine.

Spirit Tracks is legit great. Phantom Hourglass is weaker than most, but still good
>>
File: IMG_3764.jpg (71KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3764.jpg
71KB, 500x674px
I really liked Skyward Sword, wandering around in the world to find crafting materials to upgrade your items was fun. The only thing I hated was how hand-holdy it could be.

On a side note, why does /v/ praise Twilight Princess so much these days? That game is literally just OoT 2.0, there's nothing interesting about it, it was literally just pandering to 'muh gritty Zelda' morons.
>>
>>383147975
TP actually IS the worst zelda. Though I havent played SS
>>
>>383147975
I don't like TP. I thought it was easily the worst when it came out. Even thought there was no way they could make something worse, but then they made SS and I thought that was easily the worst and there's no way they could make something worse then that. Then Nintendo went and made BOTW and while not easily the worst it feels like a toss up between SS and BOTW.
>>
File: tp wink.png (222KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tp wink.png
222KB, 500x500px
>>383147975
It's OoT with significantly more polish, more interesting dungeons, far superior swordplay, and a likeable companion that visibly changes as you progresses through the story. It's OoT but done better. I didn't much like OoT on release for a variety of reasons, but I really enjoyed TP. It's like a sequel with a strict improvement.
I feel like TP was worse for trying to emulate OoT so heavily though. The best parts of the game are the ones where TP's own personality was allowed to shine, such as the last few dungeons of the game, or the moments of slapstick. I wish that they had stuck with some of their original concepts of the theme of linking humanity with nature (so much of the concept art is gorgeous). Yet people bitched so much about WW that they reined themselves in to make another OoT.
That's just my view though.
>>
>>383139697

- overextended tutorial phase
- too much handholding
- onerous menu navigation
- small as fuck overworld, a huge pity considering the opportunity they had by being in the sky

Lanyrau Desert was great though. But that's it.

>>383140447

That's the problem, people weren't looking for a hub in the sky because the town itself was the hub. Nintendo should have either cut the sky entirely or made it worth to explore. As is, it's just this thing the player has to load into to go to any of the dungeons. It's bad level design.
>>
>>383139697
Get out Arin
>>
>>383147975
Wind Waker is OoT 2.0.
TP is OoT 3.0.
>>
>>383151627
Nope.

OoT is LttP 2.0 and TP is LttP 3.0
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.