[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hollow Knight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

I just beat this (75% completion). What do y'all think about it?

I don't think that this will apply to everybody, it all depends on how intuitively you find a few key abilities, but I got really frustrated with the constant roadblocks in this game. I got stuck after exploring basically the entire game because I missed out on an ability that you need to get two other abilities (all of which are required to finish the game) The game is filled to the brim with "you must have this specific ability to go here" roadblocks and the abilities aren't always intuitive to find, tucked away in easy to miss places. I really wish the game was more open, either putting the abilities that I struggled to find in better locations or just making them optional.

I haven't gone and watched the speedrun to this game yet, but I'm crossing my fingers hoping that people have discovered major skips for it, because the roadblocks in the game are its downfall. Also probably feels so damn slow to play again because upgrading your Nail is such a necessity and the Blacksmith is so out of the way to get to.

I've said negative stuff about this game, but it's a beautiful game and was fun to playthrough and explore. I like their idea of making fast-travel limited, it makes it so you explore more and get more opportunities to see things you might've missed while you're walking around.
>>
File: 1337473826818.png (139KB, 761x494px) Image search: [Google]
1337473826818.png
139KB, 761x494px
>but I got really frustrated with the constant roadblocks in this game
It's a fucking metroidvania. That's one of the pillars of the genre. You're a fucking imbecile. It's like you complaining about jumping on platforms in a 2D platformer.
>>
>>383136368
It's decent, not much more.

The critical story path is short and a few of the abilities aren't needed at all. Upgrading the nail just makes fights shorter, you can reliably avoid damage for all of it.

But yeah on replays I just bumrushed the ability upgrades and got all the shit from there, but that first playthrough of going the worst possible route and running into every roadblock possible was a lot of fun in itself.
>>
>>383136368
But thats bullshit
>Go through crossroads and greenpaths to get dash
>Go to fungal wastes and get the walljump
>Get the dive from the city of tears
>Buy the lantern and get the crystal dash in crystal peaks
>Go to resting grounds to activate the dreamers
>Get the acid resistance from the waterways
>Go to the dreamers
>Beat the hollow knight
There are a lot of areas you never have to go to to beat the game.
>>
>>383136482
Like I said, I don't think it'll apply to everybody, but It ruined "my" experience of it. I will not remember the game as fondly as many others before me. Had I discovered the abilities more intuitively, the game would've flowed better.

As it stood though, I got to a point where I had explored almost all of the map and there were like 10 roadblocks and I didn't know where to go to find the key ability I needed.

It was the crystal rocket move, I had sworn I explored as much of Crystal Peak as I could and ran into those roadblocks and didn't figure out until much much later when looking at my map that there was a tiny spot I didn't look and that's where I got it. From there, it was easy enough to get double jump and acid immunity.

>>383136751
Yeah, that's true. All of the enemies of the game are very readable. You can dodge almost everything. The only enemy that I haven't really figured out is that monster thing that shoots orange goo out of the top of its head. It's completely random and it's big goo spray seems completely undodgable, like you absolutely must use that shield charm to defend against it.
>>
>>383137151
>The only enemy that I haven't really figured out is that monster thing that shoots orange goo out of the top of its head. It's completely random and it's big goo spray seems completely undodgable
For the big goo spray, you just jump and dash over the beast while the goo is in the air, you get a good few hits on the other side.

Otherwise you're mainly chipping at it and dodging the pellets/slices/bounces to wait for that goo spray to get some real damage in.
>>
>>383136482
Good metroidvanias have sequence breaking
>>
File: proshi.png (31KB, 167x231px) Image search: [Google]
proshi.png
31KB, 167x231px
>>383137151
>Like I said, I don't think it'll apply to everybody
Of course not, because you're the type of guy that plays a racing game and gets unpleasantly surprised that you have to race in it instead of observing the twitching of your asshole in a mirror.

Like 50% of the map is completely optional. You don't need any charms at all. You only need base level abilities to beat the game.
>>
>>383137151
>I didn't go through all the rooms in the area that I could go in so I blame the game for me being stupid
>>
>>383137483
The game is always giving you the middle finger with arbitrary roadblocks. They aren't necessary other than to gate areas so you have to come back later. It's bullshit in a game like this where story doesn't matter and they just throw you into a world to explore.
>>
>>383137391
You sequence break real easy in Hollow Knight, every area has a bunch of ways into it and the only real requirement is to kill the 3 dreamers and open the black egg temple.

Every area that "requires" the double jump, for example, has a breakable environment object or enemy to pogostick off of to make the jump anyway. The only unintended skips were a couple of White Palace ones that were hardcore patched out (using dash great strike + mark of pride to get through a lever in one of the areas, for example, plain don't work no more) and they aren't on the critical story path.
>>
>>383137620
>a metroidvania is bullshit because it's a metroidvania
But even then you should have WAY more shit you can explore that the roadblocks you encounter. If you can't get past this point just go the other way where an entire unexplored area is.
If you want to explore then why do you hate on the game making you actually explore it's world and saying you don't want to actually explore it?
>>
>>383137391
But you can sequence break it. There's very few things you actually need to beat the game. Like the crystal dash op missed you're supposed to go to the soul sanctum to get the ground pound to get to it but you can actually just get the lantern and go straight to it.

One thing is speed running its another thing when you're going through the game for the first time and don't know the critical path.
>>
>>383138010
>but you can actually just get the lantern and go straight to it.
You don't even need the lantern, it's a tiny passage you can easily run through.
>>
>>383138051
You need the lantern because there's a gate mechanism you can't interact with in the dark.
>>
>>383138180
Don't you just go under it and kick out the collapsible path with the two crystal bugs?
>>
>>383138270
The gate is before those two crystal bugs i. Unless there's another path down I never noticed.
>>
>>383138270
You actually need the lantern to get into it legit, but there is a glitch speedruns use to clip out of bounds and get into it that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFLJa5d588
>>
where is the nailsmith? I died against the Mantis Lords and a guy told me to go find the nailsmith, but I ended up stumbling into a whole new huge area, and I don't think I can get back to the mushroom place
>>
>>383138937
all the way left from the big city underground
won't do you any good without the required resources
>>
>>383138937
It's hard to miss. You'll see a sign putting out where the Nailsmith's place is when you get near it.
>>
>>383139037
pointing*
>>
File: 1494325691633.jpg (166KB, 589x623px) Image search: [Google]
1494325691633.jpg
166KB, 589x623px
>>383138937
>tfw beat the mantis lords without knowing about the nail upgrades
Their patterns are pretty easy so it's mostly just surviving for long enough
>>
>>383139228
The nail upgrades are pointless for them anyway. It doesn't matter how much damage you can do when you have trouble reacting to their attacks. You can't spam them either because they vanish.
>>
The ability to self heal makes the game too easy. All the tension of exploring an uncharted area is lost when you can always smack a few bugs and get back to full health
>>
>>383136368
> The game is filled to the brim with "you must have this specific ability to go here" roadblocks and the abilities aren't always intuitive to find, tucked away in easy to miss places.

Welcome to Metroidvania, use the map.
>>
>>383139030
The first upgrade is pretty cheap and simple. It's really pretty hard to not have the resources for that unless you just died or something.
>>
>>383139856
Oh right, the first upgrade doesn't need Ore.
>>
File: imp.png (423KB, 690x960px) Image search: [Google]
imp.png
423KB, 690x960px
Dead cells is better.
>>
>>383140039
It's also not finished.
>>
>>383136368
Is hollow knight the most shilled game on /v/?
>>
>>383140198
weeb shit like persona and those fe/fate mobile "games" are shilled far more
>>
So after I kill the three dreamers can I still explore???
>>
>didn't know you don't need double jump
Fuck Infected Crossroads
>>
>>383141974
You can still explore even after beating the last boss.
>>
I did a 100% on my first run (had to use a guide for the dream nail thing but overall I managed to find everything on my own) and I fucked up the first time with the Hollow Knight because my first strike with the dream nail was parried, I didn't realized Hornet holding him later on would allow me to strike him with it.

I understand OP, the first time it's pretty much
>don't know where to go
>have to check every single doorways on your map to see if you can't unlock a new path
>repeat
And don't forget when you have to do the same without a map

Until you start getting good abilities like wall jump, super dash, void dash, double jump ..., afterward navigating became a lot easier and somehow a lot more straightforward on where to go.

My biggest issues with the game is the lack of save points before most bosses making fighting some of them a chore (if you fuck up you have to go all the way back to them, if it's hard to reach, good luck) and too many flying long range enemies, many of them always staying out of reach and making fighting those common pieces of shit a long and massive pain in the ass.

Fuck Primal Aspids is what I'm trying to say.

Otherwise it's pretty much a game that is hard because the player don't know how to deal with the situations, most of the time replaying most of the bosses and trials are relatively easy once you know how they goes. (The Trial of Fools being a good example, it's infuriating at first, but afterward it's piss easy or The Radiance, dealing a lot of damage pretty quickly, only to discover how wide the gaps in her attacks are)
>>
File: MAHNIGGA.png (99KB, 301x346px) Image search: [Google]
MAHNIGGA.png
99KB, 301x346px
>>383137471
>>
File: 20170707130828_1.jpg (164KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170707130828_1.jpg
164KB, 1920x1080px
>bad at dealing with too many enemies
>boss is just a faggot hopping around summoning shit every second
Fuck me
>>
>>383143147
You actually died to The Collector?

He only spawns weak mobs that you should be killing in one hit and he, himself, just jumps over you. He's like the easiest boss in the game
>>
>>383143334
I kill them with two hits
I guess I will just spam spells
>>
>>383143467
upgrade your nail.
>>
>>383143147
You can use the fart charm (I forgot the name) to deal with the minions (same way as Lost Kin), otherwise just rush them and kill them as they spawn, the Collector himself tend to jump around so just go under him or strike him to push him away unless he decides to raise his arms (which mean he might try to strike you).
>>
>>383143803
The orange fly shoots me as son as it spawns but thanks
>>
>>383136482
This game, at the least, isn't that bad unless you go out of your way and pick a horrible progression route.
Like, if you go
Moth Cloak -> Ground Slam -> Dream Nail, its not that bad.
If you go Ground Slam -> everywhere but Crystal Peak, its pretty bad.

Lantern -> Dreamnail is also possible
>>
>>383143602
Managed to outlast him with Shape of Unn and Quick Focus
>>
>>383142475
>Fuck Primal Aspids is what I'm trying to say.
Move left or right, or nudge that way if you're pogoing them.
>>
So do you should kill ghosts or not?
I didn't kill the singer but I accidentally killed that girl in that grave with the blue butterflies
>>
>>383146437
It literally doesn't matter. You get more than enough to 100% the game from dream warriors/bosses and a solid two thirds of the whispering roots.
>>
>>383146437
I killed them all. Fuck em. I am Death. I only felt bad for the Seer.
>>
File: 20170707175859_1.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170707175859_1.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>complete the hunter log
>"are you ready for your reward"
>floor falls down
>hunter shows his true form and does the boss roar
>lol jk here's an item that's not actually an item and doesn't do anything
t-thanks game
>>
>>383147191
That was pretty damn funny though
>>
Favorite area?

Mines greenpath.
>>
File: he leaves his sword behind.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
he leaves his sword behind.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
>>383150494
pic related
still makes me sad
>>
So what do you guys think the other two content packs are going to be?

The second one is probably a boss run mode or something because they said it's "quite different".

The third one is going to be big so probably a new area?
>>
>>383150494
Abyss
>>
>>383151000
It's gonna be all be bug asses
>>
>>383136368
Isn't the new update alleviating the backtracking by adding another fast travel option and another stag station?
>>
My struggle with this game is it's bad performace.
It has very simple graphics but yet I just get 15FPS on my PC so that I often struggle to jump precisely.
>>
>>383139541
I guess you never got to white palace then because that proves you completely wrong.
>>
>>383151850
>what is Hiveblood
>>
File: 1489679428000.gif (518KB, 192x206px) Image search: [Google]
1489679428000.gif
518KB, 192x206px
>>383152042
>using that charm to cheese

Congratulations anon you are a complete faggot.
>>
>>383152217
Nice reading comprehension
>>
File: pogo stick reeeeeeeeeee.jpg (170KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pogo stick reeeeeeeeeee.jpg
170KB, 1920x1080px
>>383139541
Just use hiveblood
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.