[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the Monster Hunter Franchise never take off big in the west?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

File: Monster_Hunter_logo.png (69KB, 250x177px) Image search: [Google]
Monster_Hunter_logo.png
69KB, 250x177px
Why did the Monster Hunter Franchise never take off big in the west?
>>
Portables are fucking awful.
>>
>>383124645
nintendo piece of shit sabotaging it
>>
File: 1496378428553.jpg (79KB, 600x572px) Image search: [Google]
1496378428553.jpg
79KB, 600x572px
>Grindy, western gamers want instant gratification
>All the best games are on handheld
>Nobody likes local multiplayer in the west
>Weird and japanese (wtf, tiny cat people? bikini armor? no thanks)
Monster Hunter is basically doomed to fail in the west.
>>
>>383124645

because it has a steep learning curve and and rthe gameplay is actually good
>>
More accurate to ask why Japanese love this garbage.
>>
ive heard a lot of people say that the controls arent responsive and are clunky, which actually makes me angry.
>>
>muh no health bars
>muh damage sponge bosses
some examples from one of my old neet friend
>>
>>383124645
A niche series. MonHun is one of those things that you either just like it or don't.
>>
>>383124645
Casuals don't have the attention span to get into MH games because they're not the top of the line triple A games with "SICK" graphics.

MHW is here to fix that and now all the Chads will love it and monster hunter will have it's new audience in the west.
>>
Harsh learning curve and ranges from mildly to extremely grindy.
>>
>>383124739
It had a bigger following in the west when Nintendo got involved.
>>
>>383124645
When MHW releases they going to miss how the franchise "never took off" until now.
>>
>>383125185

if it still has the same combat and controls then they arent going to like it
>>
>>383124645
It's those kind of games that you hate before falling in love with it. And most of the time people stop at the hate part.

Also Capcom is delusional if they think their going to sale the game to normies in the West with World.
Every time I asked potential newcomers about World, the same answer
>it's still too stiff
>>
>>383124645
You have to grind for materials with a low spawn rate, and the gameplay itself is about waiting to attack vs just hacking until you win.
In the west we're not use to those type of games, so it led to MH being relatively niche (even when it was on the PS2).

Also doesn't help that it's been stuck on handhelds forever, so people that don't own a 3DS or PSP have never really experienced it.

I feel if Capcom actually attempts to advertise World in the West it'll take off, the series has tons of potential and I'd love to have more people to play with even if they were normies.
>>
>>383124645
boring, autistic "gathering" and "farming"
>>
>>383125341
It has the pretty sparkles and voice acting guiding you so they will play it for longer because of that.
>>
>>383124645
because the west's main platform are the microsoft/sony home consoles plus PC.
is everyone in this thread retarded or something
>>
>>383125426
>I feel if Capcom actually attempts to advertise World in the West it'll take off,
It won't, they had advertising for just about every game since the PSP and it did nothing.
>>
>>383124645
Because its shit maybe?
>>
>>383125528
MH first came out on the PS2 you fucking retard.
>>
>>383125495

you might be right, play it long enough to get past the learning curve
>>
>>383124645
>Press X
>Don't instantly start winning
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?! THIS IS BAD DESIGN RIGHT HERE! WHY ARE JAP GAMES SO ARCHAIC?!
>>
Too video game-y.
>>
>>383124645

It's too slow paced, grindy, and requires a lot of dedication
I borrowed my cousins Mh3 on the Wii but it just doesn't hit home at all for me after 20 hours or so.
>>
>>383124645
It's too grindy and almost has that "Japanese budget game" feel if you know what I mean
>>
File: JUST.png (850KB, 811x663px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
850KB, 811x663px
SAY IT WITH ME:
>MONSTER HUNTER WORLD IS GOING TO BE THE BEST-SELLING MONSTER HUNTER TITLE OF ALL TIME!
>>
Grinding
>>
>>383124645
Good gameplay instead of instant gratification, no pretty graphics to sell the game. No epic combos/animations that make you basically unkillable for the entire duration.
>>
People got traumatized enough by playing Dark Souls, imagine if they played something hard like Monster Hunter.
>>
File: core gameplay design.webm (1MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
core gameplay design.webm
1MB, 854x480px
>>383127997
>No epic combos/animations that make you basically unkil-
>>
>>383128485
Just like Evasion+2/+3
>>
>>383128654
Are you kidding?
Evasion would never give you that much of a window to dodge. That stuff is just ridiculous.
>>
>>383128819
Are YOU kidding? Evasion+3 is broken as fuck
>>
>>383128485
That's in one game in the series, you can't spam it, and it does no damage.
>>
>>383124645
It's too hard, but without meme value, why do you think western gamers compare EVERYTHING to Dark Souls?
>>
>>383125753
To fair you'd press X and nothing would happen because nothing was explained. It took me a solid week before I realized I was soloing the online hub instead of the village (in FU). Was wondering why shit was so difficult
>>
Because the game is harder than dark souls and the casuals can't meme with it.
>>
>>383128819
Sounds like somebody hasn't tried evasion lancer
>evasion +3
>evasion distance
>bunny hop around nargs like it's nobody's fuckin' business
>>
>>383129298
Anon, shills don't play games, they just spam one gif over and over for damage control.
>>
>>383128914
So you basically just want an easy mode because you're a baby? Just waste all your slots on >>383128654
>>
>>383129406
They don't need to with Bushido style
>>
>>383129406
I'm criticizing westerners not playing a hard game with actual gameplay and that somehow makes me want an easy mode? What?
>>
>>383124937
Why does the West have such shit taste?
>>
>>383124645
Not super easy, extremely grindy, no handholding, not cinematic.
Worlds is at least going to change 3 of these things.
>>
>>383124645
>Where's the lock on
>Where are monster HP bars
>Why's this big sword so slow
>>
File: 1413586427395.jpg (248KB, 942x792px) Image search: [Google]
1413586427395.jpg
248KB, 942x792px
I like nobody brought up how shit the early game/tutorial, everyone is just sprouting "le dumb westerns, unlike me superior weeb!". I know at least 3 people with okay to good taste that have at some point tried the series but dropped it because the start of the game didn't grip them.

And I don't blame them, it wasn't till my first Rathian kill that I really got into the game back when I started.
>>
>>383131528
It's so because it's heavy
>>
File: 4645549.jpg (35KB, 488x338px) Image search: [Google]
4645549.jpg
35KB, 488x338px
>>383124645
It wasn't cinematic and casual enough.

Don't worry, Capcom heard you. MHW is on its way.
>>
Handhelds are shit, the public online environment is not the same as Japan and Westerners are not as obsessed with franchises that have been been stagnating for years because of vehement refusal to get rid of archaic mechanics that existed for over a decade.
>>
File: 1222651909235.jpg (25KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1222651909235.jpg
25KB, 800x600px
>>383131528
This. Ironically it's why Souls took off big time.
>>
>>383124645
I'd say it was the controls, and casuals couldn't get into it
>>
>>383132485
>Westerners are not as obsessed with franchises that have been been stagnating for years because of vehement refusal to get rid of archaic mechanics that existed for over a decade.

Yeah no one buys CoD, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Madden, Far Cry or any other shit.
>>
>>383129009
Did you even speak to the people or read anything in general when playing?
>>
because monster hunter is trash. It truly is.
>>
>>383124937
If the west hates grinding then Destiny, Borderlands, The Division etc wouldn't have made big money and Monster Hunter is less grindy than all of those games.
>>
>>383131528
>>383132725
This is complete nonsense.

The main reason why it didn't sell is the handheld market isnt as big in the west as in Japan and Tri, which was released on Wii was regarded as the worst
Also, the repetitive structure of the farming and repeated missions are just not that big of a draw for the western audience.
Anyone unironically thinking its the difficulty thats doing it, has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>383138848
>Destiny, Borderlands, The Division
How many of them are household names today?
They made big money because people like getting in on the newest big thing in case it takes off.
>>
>>383124645
Honestly, i have no idea. Ive played pretty much every monster hunter so far and while they all have their flaws, the gameplay is always solid. Maybe they just werent advertised enough. I mean, i only discovered it by chance on an old ps2 demo disc
>>
why do some people say they re more fans just for play FU and dont want to play the ones from 3ds than those who play every mh? i dont get that.
>>
Monster take a lot time to kill and theres a lot of grinding involved, which isnt huge in western games.
The game has a huge stigma that capcom is delusional if they think is going away with world.
>>
>>383140984
Because they're retarded
>>
>>383141253
Western games are all about grind buddy. And monster hunter doesn't really have "grind", since "grinding" is literally just hunting monsters which is the whole point of the game. If you consider playing a game normally is grinding you might as well stop playing video games. Reminds me of people speaking of "grinding" virtual currency in games like league of legends, when you get said currency literally from playing the game normally.
>>
I think that the main problem is that the biggest market for a game like Monster Hunter in the west plays mostly on the two main consoles or pc. Handheld games that make it big in the west are usually turn based RPGs like Pokémon since nobody wants to play a game with intense combat on a tiny shaky little screen.
>but what about Tri
the kind of people that made the Wii a smash hit are grandmas or young families that own like 3 games for the system tops. which usually means wiisports and/or mario title. what kind of person buys a Wii thinking "oh boy i cant wait to play a high-intensity mature-age action game with a heavy focus on online play"? most people bought a wiiu because they were impressed by the then-novel idea of motion controls or they simply wanted the newest BING BING WAHOO game.
>>
>>383138848
Bro shooters
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.