[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to get into Dragon Warrior (Quest)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: 1381218285-dq-logos.png (274KB, 850x279px) Image search: [Google]
1381218285-dq-logos.png
274KB, 850x279px
DQ I-III
>SNES

DQ IV-VI
>DS

DQ VII
>3DS

DQVIII
>PS2

DQ IX
>DS

Is this right? Some advice?
>>
Ye might want to skip the early games if you've ever played a JRPG before
>>
>>383060759
>4
>DS
No, they raped the translation and removed Party Talk (aka the main and basically only source of your party member dialogues) from the localization since Square Enix didn't give them enough time and money to do the entire game. You want to play the iOS/Android version for that one which is literally just the DS version, but with the Party Talk added back in and fully translated.

5 and 6 are fine on DS.

DQ8 you want on 3DS due to all the new content if you're a story/contentfag, or PS2 if you're a graphicsfag.
If you go with 3DS for 7 and 8, CFW your 3DS and play the Orchestral music restored versions for all of those and Uncensor/Restoration patch for DQ8 as well.

Also there's PS2 version of DQ5 that's pretty sweet and in many ways better than the DS version, the only thing it doesn't have it DS version's new waifu Deborah (which isn't even canon based on Akira Toriyama's official artwork and the official novelization).
>>
File: 1472209493823.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1472209493823.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>383060979
I played a lot of JRPGs before anon, but still, want to check out.
I love FF1 and FF3 on the NES, the dated mechanics can be a problem but I think I can handle.
Thanks!

>>383061476
>4
Huh, didn't knew this. Gonna look for a patch then. I can't get into phone gaming.

>8
I am aware of this patch, if I play on 3DS it will be a must, yeah. But I don't know how well it runs on O3DS.

Thank you very much!
>>
>>383062036
There is no patch, it's unpatchable because the code routines for all of it were literally removed from the English version.
Only way would be to insert English text into the Japanese version of the game, but that one doesn't support single width characters (letters, signs etc, latin alphabet normally takes 1 byte per sign, but Kanji, Kana and Shift-JIS romaji take 2 bytes per character) so inserting English text into that one results in it being twice longer in width than if it was in the English version and thus massively going outside of boxes, cutting off and causing issues all over.
It would need serious programming effort to edit Japanese version of the game to implement single-width/variable width font and nobody wants to bother when the perfectly serviceable iOS/Android version exists.

tl;dr shut the fuck up and play the mobile version, it's not that bad and you can pirate it, it also has higher audio and image quality than on DS

>But I don't know how well it runs on O3DS.
Identical, the devs explicitly hardcoded the game NOT to make use of ANY of N3DS resources so as to not divide the players into richer and poorer. People in the west actually got butthurt about it because they couldn't justify their N3DS purchase.
>>
File: 1488632699651.jpg (86KB, 809x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488632699651.jpg
86KB, 809x1200px
>>383062519
Yeah, I am looking right now, it's a shame.
The Android version it is then.

>8
That's good to know, at least I can play all of them in mobile devices.
Really apreciate your time anon, thanks!
>>
>>383062519
>People in the west
yes, not a single japanese fella went "hey this doesn't make sense though"
>>
>>383060759
I prefer the 3DS version of VIII mostly for the quality of life upgrades.

Also grinding king metals for post game is way faster.
>>
File: dq8sabercat.png (449KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
dq8sabercat.png
449KB, 400x480px
>>383060759
>DQVIII
>PS2

No play the 3DS version. Outside of downgraded graphics its the version you want to play

>Alchemy Pot isn't retarded anymore
>two new post game dungeons
>can make battles go fast
>new story scenes
>new ending
>red and morrie playable
>new monsters, new arena content, new items
>no more annoying random encounters
>can "uncensor" the game even though the reason costume changes happened was because ratings got stricter in japan
>can add orchestra soundtrack back
>plenty of QoL changes
>>
File: Multitrack.png (328KB, 1353x976px) Image search: [Google]
Multitrack.png
328KB, 1353x976px
>>383062952
>image
Have my answer to that conundrum.
Anyway no problem mate, just deal with it on mobile for 4 since it's worth it for characters to actually comment on everything that's going on and have personality instead of just being wooden dolls. It's criminal that it's missing from DS version but what can you do.

>>383062957
>yes, not a single japanese fella went "hey this doesn't make sense though"
There wasn't loud enough outcry to be seen online at the very least, I went through Amazon reviews and there wasn't a spam of butthurt reviewbombs about it like Japan usually does.
People in Japan simply don't care about that when the game runs well enough by default (that is pretty much rock solid 30 FPS at all times outside of bigger battles)
>>
File: 1468021432919.png (431KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
1468021432919.png
431KB, 640x478px
>>383063141
>>383063447
I didn't knew 8 was so praised on 3DS.
I thought it was a downgrade all around. It was good to ask, now I will go with the 3DS version.

>>383063947
Yeah, it's better play the better version of the game.
>>
>>383064417
It's only a downgrade in terms of graphics, that's why I told you here >>383061476 that you only go with PS2 if you're a graphicsfag.
Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fucking beautiful on PS2 and definitely loses in charm and visuals on 3DS, audio compression is also noticeable, but all the quality of life changes, rebalancing and new content make the 3DS version simply win me over.
BUT ONLY ASSUMING IT'S PATCHED WITH UNCENSOR/RESTORATION PATCH AND ORCHESTRAL MUSIC, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.