[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rimworld

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 28

File: header.jpg (44KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
44KB, 460x215px
Is this game worth getting. I like Prison Architect, never played Dwarf Fortress, and this looks a bit like both
>>
I played Prison Architect before I played Rimworld and I liked both. Rimworld takes much longer to get to the same level as competency as Prison Architect though.

Yes Rimworld is worth getting
>>
It's pretty fun.
>>
>>382994053
For the high price though? It wasn't on sale
>>
Great game, definitely worth picking up. Can always pirate it first and see.
>>
>>382994167
I played about 400 hours vanilla until I got some mods, then another 100, now I've taken a little break I guess and a new patch came out so I gotta try that a bit
>>
>>382993943
shallow garbage game.

Entire game is based off firing off events based off a list, it's not RNG or based off the rest of the world.

You can savescum,

Save -> oh no maneaters -> reload save -> oh no a tribal invasion > reload save > oh, traders...

etc etc, literally all events fire off on a global cooldown + local cooldown for the specific event firing off.

Rimworld is in alpha, has had several developers be swapped out because the entire project is run by an Ideas guy that hires people to develop for him, he's incompetent and refuses to integrate multi-z levels because he claims the entire game would have to be redeveloped from scratch. It's a fucking alpha... That's the POINT of alphas.
>>
>>382993943
Pirate it. I bought the game and regretted it. The vanilla gameplay is pretty boring because you have to play it extra careful otherwise you are risking your colony to die in less than a year.

>hunt too many animals
>one of them go crazy and hurt one of your colony badly
>he went into coma and have to be taken care of
>now you are left with 2 guys doing 10 men job
You are always stuck with 3 guys where you can't take a risk to lose even one of them. then once you have 5 dudes in your colony, everything become too easy.
>>
>>382993943
Pirate it bro don't be a chuck
>>
Yeah maybe you should pirate it, I pirated it first, put a good 100 hours in then bought it
>>
I hop back in with each major update. Tynan is an awesome dev and Rimworld is a good game. I'd recommend it if you liked Prison Architect. If you prefer pirating, that's up to you, but I like supporting the good devs.

I will say it's kinda simple, but each update helps to expand on that. Build a base, keep your dudes alive, build up your tech and resources while defending your home base. Recent updates give you the option to travel to other areas, with an eventual end-goal of leaving the planet.

I can answer any questions if you have any.
>>
>>382994610
>>hunt too many animals
>>one of them go crazy and hurt one of your colony badly

Would you be surprised if that actually wasn't caused by you killing "too many animals"?

It's actually one of the random events that fires off the global event list, it's "random".
>>
File: 1476225308398.png (500KB, 751x458px) Image search: [Google]
1476225308398.png
500KB, 751x458px
>>382994586
>refuses to integrate multi-z levels because he claims the entire game would have to be redeveloped from scratch
Fuuuuuuuuuck, there goes that hope then. I bet his book is shit too.
>>
I pirated it. Pretty fun. In many ways better than DF and I say it as someone who spent literal hundreds of hours with DF.
Would pay, but it's too expensive for my third world wallet.

I'm disappointed with the last update and probably won't pay my shekels even once I get more. Direction of development is very important in alpha games like this and Rimworld took the shitty overworld direction instead of fleshing out gameplay.
>>
>>382993943
>>382994721
Prison Architect is completely unrelated to rimworld tough.

They share art direction because the chucklefuck ideas guy that the rimworld dev is, has no clue of what he is doing and completely relies on seasonal developers, i.e. his devs has a history of never coming back when the new school semesters begin, and that's why there's so much hiatus in updates. New devs have to interpret codebase everytime he hires new ones, because the old ones barely get paid and primarily are students.
>>
I didn't think it was possible to be as bad this game as some of the people itt are.
>>
>>382993943
Did they fix hunting from being either send someone out with a machine gun to miss 99% of his shots or micromanage someone with a shotgun to actually get stuff done?
>>
>>382994926

I dunno, they kinda felt like a similar game but that split down two different roads. One is managing a large number of people and keeping them busy and under control, the other is managing a scaling number of people, with FUN getting throw at you and a goal of leaving the planet.

I will admit I didn't put in near as much time to Prison Architect as I did Rimworld.
>>
>>382994926
where is the proof of this? I used to read his google docs changelogs and shit was rapid as fuck.

He asked the community if they prefer fatter updated, and they did, and he delivered. Where is this shit about seasonal developers coming from?
>>
>>382993943
rimworld is the dungeons of dredmor of dwarf fortress
>>
>start game
>hunt an animal
>no problems
1 year later
>hunt same animal
>entire pack suddenly manhunters

Fuck that, thats stupid
its also stupid how little damage bullets do to animals
its stupid someone with a pistol or shotgun melees when melee'd
its absolutely pants on head retarded when you are point fucking blank and missing with a pistol or shotgun
also, how your melee dudes will run in line of fire, nice

i like this game, sometimes its even fun to micro manage, but sometimes it's really not
>>
>>382995101
it's kind of obvious, his devs all disappear end of summer everytime it has happend.

the term seasonal is the best term to describe the situation, but most of them leave voluntarily because of shit pay.

"fatter updates", literally everything that's been added past year up to the caravan part has just been lua and xml scripts that modders could have done. Only the caravan part required changes in the codebase.

So you have situation of dev being hired that's incompetent and having to hire a coder at later point, and it's hard to find someone willing that's competent, which also fits his target employee description of student status
>>
>>382995253
where is the proof of any of this?

Rimworld is a great game and I've seen nothing but good things from Tynan. I've never heard anything about whatever you're talking about. The updates have been up to if not beyond my expectations.
>>
>>382995196
>hunting animals
>Not rushing a freezer and a large farm
>not having a dedicated cook and farmer and having stacks and stacks of food by first winter

baka I'm disappointed in youse:(
>>
>>382995196
>game is not a simulator of reality
WHO WOULD'VE THUNK'D?

Realismtards are the cancer that is killing all simulationistic vidya.
>>
File: manhunter.jpg (230KB, 709x981px) Image search: [Google]
manhunter.jpg
230KB, 709x981px
>>382995196
it's RNG and unrelated to you hunting

>>382995317
people fanboy and obsess, what you're doing is called cult of personality. He's not a good guy, he's an ideas guy. Worst kind of developer there is, as he literally sits on the pile of cash and lures in people to develop for him with bad paygrade.

"where's the proof"

you don't question at all why there's been huge hiatuses and constant announcements there's a "new developer"? He doesn't hire more to the team, he has to replace them completely.
>>
>>382995196
To my knowledge manhunter packs are just random events.
Different bullets / weapons will do varying damage, each animal has a different damage threshold.
I believe they melee because the enemy that is melee'ing them is interrupting their attack, which is based on their shooting skill. Try moving them back / around a wall to repositing for another attack.
>>
>>382995417
He seems like a perfectly fine guy, and his ideas are fine too. I never hear announcements about new programmers, I just read the changelogs and play the game.

It sort of sounds like you're just making shit up.
>>
>>382995508
ideas guys are cancer to industry, they contribute with nothing.
>>
This game just stresses me out and makes me feel bad like 80% of the time. I swear like 9 times out of 10 when a hunter was bitten even once by an animal the fucker got an infection that ate 50% of my medicine stocks and since all the other settlers are inept at hunting I would be short on food and everybody gets angry. Then one fucker has a breakdown and sets everything on fire. Trying to put out fires is the most slow, tiring and nonproductive thing you can fucking attempt at this game. Seriously if you don't have a sprinkler system you might as well restart if you get a fire more than 5 tiles large.

inb4 git gud
>>
it needs z levels
anyways just pirate it op
>>
>>382993943
It's more like prison architect than dwarf fortress honestly.

It's a great game but it requires mods to change some obnoxious game mechanics and add more stuff.
>>
>>382995576
z levels will never happen, becuase the "developer" doesn't develop the game and the codebase has been dicked by too many different coders to make it comprehensible to alter it that extesnively
>>
>>382994586
>claims the entire game would have to be redeveloped from scratch
source?

I thought it was for performance reasons
>>
File: 1488226116398.png (43KB, 613x436px) Image search: [Google]
1488226116398.png
43KB, 613x436px
>>382995543
>>382995417
nigga he basically is a one man development team, code and "programmer art" included. Take your made up conspiracies somewhere else.
>>
>>382993943
Just pirate it off first.
Ignore the retards who says its a dumb game because they can't deal with random events.

>>382994934
This place is as bad as /b/ with videogames, but
>Having a problem with tribes or manhunting animals
Is just "Hello I'm too dumb to check out gun turrets research"
>>
From April 6, 2016 - May 24, 2017 he / they released Alpha 13 - 17, so four updates in a year's time, each bringing significant changes and additions to the game. I'm okay with this pace. I was under the impression it was just Tynan and a small crew, like >>382995667 is saying.
>>
>>382995621
then you might as well play dort
plus we got the magic update soon(tm)
or at least the relics aspect of it
>>
>muh z-levels
Z-levels would require a giant redesign of the game mechanics such as combat, UI, ranged attack checks, vision checks, attacker AI, idling AI and so on.

t. someone who implemented part of a z-level system for a tile-based 2D game
>>
>>382995774
>magic update
does this actually effect fortresses or is this just more adventure more crap?
>>
>>382995890
when a fire breathing gobo leads his religious followers to your fort to reclaim an artifact you sent an elite squad out to find, it'll effect you
>>
>>382993943

It's Dwarf Fortress with like 1/100th of the content and none of the depth. It's alright if you like the genre, but inferior to Dwarf Fortress. It'll get boring really fast.
>>
>>382996029
But will the fire breathing gobo be able defeat my draw bridge or just stand there while I shoot him to death with crossbows?
>>
>>382996059
>he thinks DF has depth and content
someone who hasn't really played any real amount of DF detected
>>
>>382996107
if you wait another year I believe they will dig under it
>>
>>382995454
no you can tell them to shoot and they stand there and shoot
>>382995417
im not talking about the random event, im talking about when you shoot an animal and only then the entire pack goes ballistic. it never happens early game where as you can get manhunter packs of 2-3 early game, thats not a big deal

when its like 7 animals it is a big deal, plus your dude is right there because he just shot one, setting them off.
>>
>>382996168
DF is too easy, at least RimWorld actually fucks you up and keeps the pressure up.

I use mods to try to make it a bit more fair against the RNG, though.
>>
>>382996059
And it's 30 bucks
And the dev refuse to go any lower even during sales "because it's an alpha"
>>
>>382996167

I've played plenty of both games. The only thing Rimworld has for it that DF lacks is it's much easier to learn and play due to an actual UI.
>>
>>382996059
Rimworld is an objectively better made game than Dwarf Fortress.
>>
>>382995560
nah i experienced the same shit. It's either you hunt or your colony die. i have tried to "have fun" in this game, i really do. However after playing for a week and creating like 8-10 colonies , i have come to conclusion the game is fucking mundanely boring.

You are stuck with limited human resources and you are fucked if you lose even one of them. You always start with farm 7x7 or bigger and have a guy with passion or at least 3-4 in shooting to hunt fucking animal.
>you can actually recruit prisoner?
>oh better have one guy keep feeding him and have his room spacious and fully furnished with dumb shit like potted plant
>oh no one of my only guy with competent skill is fucked by random event XD
>now i have to train for someone who i have to spent 10 hours of playing time to reach the same skill level
>>
>>382996279
nice try reddit
>>
>>382996264
DF is utterly broken once you get a basic fortress going, it's quite literally _too easy_. The only hard part about the game is the UI. Procedural generation is cool, building a bigass fortress is cool, maybe even playing with fluids is cool, but the gameplay is not good or even that deep.
>>
I will wait till it gets out of EA
More features and mods

I didnt like tgis whole "escape the planet" objective thing tho
I just want to build a city and fuck people and wildlife up
>>
>>382996220
people don't play df to struggle
they play to watch a forgotten beast made of gas collapse their magma forge suspended over a pool of lava as a squad of dwarves with beautifully hand encrusted armor and weapons fall to their doom
it was inevitable
>>
>>382996342

And Rimworld is pretty much exactly the same, but you have even less tools to work with.
>>
>>382996434
in RimWorld the enemies have advanced features like tunneling into your base, and long range artillery.
>>
File: 1498791323790.jpg (100KB, 800x782px) Image search: [Google]
1498791323790.jpg
100KB, 800x782px
>>382995417
>>382994926
>>382994610
>>382994586
t. my ass.
>>
>>382996317
Nope.

Better siege mechanics, better objectives. Tech tree for progression. Better balanced. Better ai.

>>382996434
Except Rimworld has better gameplay.
>>
>>382996059
pretty much this. The only pro thing rimworld that it has GUI and graphic.

In dwarf fort you have to alt-tab to dwarf therapy and pause to do simple shit like designing a mine or placing some shit. It's kinda turn me off after have to do it every single game.
>>
>>382994907
If you've actually played 100s of hours of dorf fort, you would understand what sets it apart from imitators
>>
Yeah it's pretty great
>>
>>382996573

The tech tree in Rimworld is one of the worst parts of the game. You go from being savages who are using stone weapons to people using modern day guns and explosives in a single tier of upgrades.

There needs to be more filler in between these tiers. The jump is too big.
>>
is all challenge still comes from "defend from raid attacks"?
>>
>>382994729
You're confusing manhunter event and animal revenge event
>>
>>382996608
Rimworld isn't a direct imitator, which exist, like Gnomes or whatever.

Rimworld does it's own thing and game sessions and short with more dynamic gameplay. It's actually a challenge and unlike DF where I can basically run a fortress forever no problem, I actually expect to lose in Rimworld.

Colony/fortress management genre doesn't have to be exact clones. We don't compare Dungeon Keeper or Evil Genius with DF.
>>
>>382996608
>If you've actually played 100s of hours of dorf fort, you would understand what sets it apart from imitators

That it generates volumes of useless information that don't make the game any deeper than the imitators?
>>
File: warmup.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
warmup.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>382996171
Yes, once you've told them to shoot they will attempt to do so once they're in range. If the weapon's warmup is interrupted, they can't shoot with it.
>>
File: 1499074631107.jpg (68KB, 1100x660px) Image search: [Google]
1499074631107.jpg
68KB, 1100x660px
>>382996529
>all these people having trouble with animals
Jesus christ all it took is a single turret to fuck them up, or someone with sniper rifle.

The real challenge comes up when you're trying to raid assholes. But its easy to cheese armed pirates.
>>
>>382996675
There are lots of different events, more than before. Main killers are variations on raid attacks, the alien infestation event, or the crash landed mecha pod things.
>>
>>382996317
Anon come on, you can love DF and still acknowledge that it's the coding equivalent of using tons of duct tape and prayers until it barely works
Toady is a math wizard who self-taught himself coding as he programmed the game
>>
>>382996675
yes or animal randomly attack you. The game doesn't have demons from the depth of hell or giant with corrosive skin butt fucking your gate.
>>
File: 1493072529523.png (38KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
1493072529523.png
38KB, 475x347px
>>382996306
That's what's fuckiest about Rimworld for me. You either have a balanced team and everything slows down to a horrible crawl or you do like any sane person and have people specialize in one thing. But if something happens to even one of your settlers, that area of your colony is pretty much fucked until you find a good prisoner feed a ton of resources to them in the hopes that they'll join the colony.

Not to mention that the AI can be so fucking stupid. This one settler got everyone killed because he decided he was a little peckish and wanted some food from the outside storeroom. He opens the front fucking door, letting six ravenous wolves in which proceeded to fuck everyone up.
Additionally I think cleaning should always be on as a low priority at least. They complain about their living quarters being dirty but never do anything about it. it's infuriating.

FUCK THE "REFUSES TO DO PHYSICAL LABOR" TRAIT. WHY IS IT SO GODDAMN COMMON AND WHO EVEN ACTS LIKE THAT IN ANY GODDAMN REALISTIC SITUATION. THE LIVES OF PEOPLE DEPEND ON YOU TO CARRY THIS FROM POINT A TO POINT B BUT YOU DECIDE YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR THAT, HUH?
>>
>>382996608
Rimworld isn't really an imitator of DF, it's only similar.
For one, Rimworld doesn't have no-brainer tactics that let you insta-win. DF does.

DF is fun, but it isn't really a game. It's too easy to be considered a proper game. All the difficulty comes from player's incompetence or scrubbiness.
>>
>>382994586
>You can savescum,
Oh no, you can learn faster to play the game.. how terrible
>>
>>382996675

In Rimworld? No. I've lost in it due to fires more than anything. Which can be almost entirely eliminated by not using batteries.

Outside of that, it'll try to fuck you up with RNG every now and then but these attempts are never that spectacular. Mostly it's animals wanting to kill your people but hardly any of them are an actual threat.
>>
>>382996821
>Toady is a math wizard
If this was true DF would be far more optimized, perhaps even multithreaded.

Toady is just supremely autistic and stubborn.
>>
>>382996573
df doesn't have objectives it's "open ended"
tech progression in rw is ass, you literally research how to build a spaceship in your cave with rotting off clothes
>>
>>382993943
Ex-DF vet recently playing Rimjob here. It's like a mix of Prison Architect and Dwarf Fort, but with most of the detail of Dwarf Fort cut out and no z-levels. It's got shittonnes of mods though and, compared to modern versions of Dwarf Fort, is actually harder I feel.

nuDF is easy as shit these days and pretty impossible to lose if you're prepared. If you're unsure then just torrent Rimworld and see how you go. If you get to like 10 hours sunk into it consider buying it maybe, if anything for the access to shitloads of mods.
>>
>>382996895
That's coding practices which are pretty much unrelated to math
>>
>>382996821
I can't believe the day has come were /v/ doesn't like df anymore and claims that it's halfasses imitator is the dark souls of sim games
>>
>>382996902
>df doesn't have objectives it's "open ended"

Rimworld is open ended too, it just also has a clear measurable goal for players to mark their progression by. Objectively better game design.
>>
>>382996790
animal attacks colonist with gun
colonist melee's back with gun
pause game, draft colonist, and tell them to shoot animal
colonist shoots (while being melee attacked by animal) animal till it dies or goes down then just stands there till you undraft them

there's no interruption
>>
>>382996969
>were /v/ doesn't like df anymore
Yes anon that happens when you replace the people you're actually arguing with with imaginary people who hold arbitrary positions
You can both like a thing and acknoqledge that the thing has flaws if you're not a turbo autist
>>
File: techtree.jpg (814KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
techtree.jpg
814KB, 3840x2160px
>>382996902
If you're at the point you're researching the space ship stuff, it's on you if your clothes are rotting off...
>>
>>382996969
It is summer of 2017 after-all. Shithole's even more filled with normies now after the presidential shitstorms.
>>
>>382996876
Modding is important to keep the RNG from completely fucking you over.

Straightjackets
More Vanilla Turrets
Improved Surgery
Efficient Light
RT Fuse
Everyone Hauls
RimFridge

and thats just for balance, I use a bunch of quality of life UI improvement mods as well.
>>
>>382996895
toady stopped being a geometry professor to spend more time on df
a
he doesn't knw jack shit about coding though
>>
>you can't equip more than one weapon
>your main gun wielder suck dick at his job
>raid has come to your compound
>your gunner miss all his shot
>your raider has come close to your gunner
>now he's fucked because he has 0 melee skill and no melee weapon
so fun
>>
>>382997039

Researching ship stuff takes like 3 upgrades, which don't take long at all.

Making decent clothing requires researching something that takes years in game to grow. You can literally research how to build an entire ship (and probably build it) before these plants grow.
>>
>>382997117
>Not keeping a melee bodyguard close to your best gunner
>Not building killboxes so enemies don't even get a chance to get close
>Not abusing mortars

Git gud
>>
>>382994586
Technically you can savescum in Dwarf Fort too though.

The RNG events thing is kinda it's weakest point. Things happen in DF, Prison Architect etc for a reason but in Rimworld it's literally a global cooldown timer and diceroll for the event.

For those who don't know, there are 3 character kind of difficulty presets you can choose when making a new save.

>Casandra
This bitch will gradually up the difficulty over time as you get more and more prepared

>Phoebe Chillax
She'll throw events at you like Casandra but give you long cooldowns between them so you have time to reorganize your shit, after a while though she'll hit as hard

>Randy Random
Random as fuck. You might get nothing but cargo pods for 3 years then suddenly 4 giant bandit waves at the same time as you have a solar flare and a rabid beaver attack.
>>
>>382997117
All moddable in Rimworld.

You can't even mod DF to make enemies siege properly
>>
>>382997038
youre talking out of your ass
just read the damn thread faget
>>
>>382997117
>people suck at respective job
>they get rekt
truly bad game design
>>
File: O7sg6mv.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
O7sg6mv.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
>>382997095
>you have to install shits to enjoy your game
nah thanks, i guess it's not worth it to fund incompetent dev.

Thanks guys, i will buy factorio instead
>>
>>382997224
Factorio's a cool game too
>>
>>382997148
you literally don't even play the game
>>
>>382997207
The thread where many people acknowledge that DF is a great game but RW offers a fresh challenge because it's similar but different?

Or your imaginary version where everyone flat out shits on DF while praising RW as this perfect game?

You don't even notice the levels of delusion you're in
>>
>>382996969
DF is terribly written and terribly designed.
You can have fun with bad games, just don't pretend DF isn't a huge mess of placeholders, useless crap, unreadable and non-standardized UIs, unoptimized single-threaded bullshit, unbalanced combat etc.

DF with 20+ dorfs but without rapist is a giant pain, even if you've spent hundreds of hours on it.
>>
>>382993943
Yes. Just stay away from mods. They ruin the game so fast.
>>382994586
You can also disable save scumming when you start a new game.
>>
>>382997117
>Reply

Get good, son

How did the raider get past your stone wall, turrets, attack dogs, and maze of spike traps?
>>
>>382994586
How surprising coming from a game with legless characters.
>why do those characters look like they are floating could you please code those walking animation correctly?
>hurr no
>alright I'm not paying you faget
>???
>profit
>>
>>382997296
>praising rw as this perfect game
>holding arbitrary positions
you're talking out of your ass
>>
>>382996029
>>382995774
it all doesn't matter though because Dwarf Fort got incredibly easy since 0.40. No tantrum spirals anymore means if you play smart it's literally impossible to lose now.
I've given up on modern DF versions and gone back to 40d, shit's way more fun and challenging.
>>
>>382997224
Careful anon, Factorio also has a lot of mods!
>>
>>382997290

No, you literally don't play the game. Getting to the ship building stage is easy as fuck unless you're using some mod to make research take longer.
>>
I liked RW. But I'm done with it. Seriously needs some deep and thorough corrections. I would not buy it (again). Same questions as always: when will alphas finally advance and be released?
>>
>>382996573
>better AI
kek
>>
>>382997436
It's easy sure but it's not faster than growing some cotton plants and making a shirt and some pants you turbonigger.
>>
>>382997313
I haven't used rapist in years
dfhack has a job manager that works fine and doesn't need a second monitor
>>
>>382997412
I remember getting bored of DF after that update that 'activated' the world, because suddenly sieges were fucking rare and I kept growing bored while fursnishing my whole fortress in gold and silver
>>
>>382997328
>stone wall, turrets, attack dogs, and maze of spike traps
Wall is made of wood because stone wall require cut stone. My first pet is a fucking monkey that can't do shit before my farm produce some food for it to be trained. Maze of spike traps require intense labor with just 3 guys and panther roaming outside my door.
>>
>>382997417
which make it more fun. It's vanilla is already fun.
>>
It took me ages to figure out that Stone Cutting at the workbench is now based off the construction skill
I kept sending high lvl crafters on the job and wondering why shit was taking ages
>>
>>382997546
if you embark with hostile faction neighbors you can have small groups of skirmishes harassing you before you even meet a caravan
>>
>>382997621
Yeah it's pretty gud
>>
>>382997689
Must have been patched later, because I distinctively remember embarking next to a well-populated gobbo city in the hopes of getting lots of action, but nothing happening
>>
>>382997570
Acquire well
Claim benevolent
Procure quality

If you expect to instantlybe acceptably good at the game by the first try on non-ezmodo, you're part of the cancer that is killing vidya.
>>
>>382997570
Use turrets.
Build a circular dumping area for stone blocks around your defenses, they slow your attackers, its way easier than making traps.

Or build your defense near a river, it slows them hard enough.
>>
>>382997546
That's what happened basically. With the world activation came rare seiges (unless you embark right near gobbos/towers), there are no Tantrum Spirals because he re-wrote Dwarf Psychology with 140-something emotions (apparently he considered the tantrums to be a "bug") so while DF still has some difficulty you'll probably get FPS death first, unless you either go out of your way to suck at the game (no bridges, no walls, wrestler squads etc) or embark on Terrifying Glaciers (which just become a micro-intensive chore after a while).

Terrifying biomes aren't really a good idea at the moment anyway because a bug causes undead hair and other small undead mobs to be unkillable (they're too small to hit, so they'll dodge 5 squads of elite hammerdwarves's swings while a single piece of undead donkey hair kills your whole fort).
>>
>>382997739
you can also change the requirements for a full blow siege event
and if you're having trouble still start killing caravans
>>
>>382994586
There's a "permadeath mode" to stop you from save-scumming. I suggest you use that.

>>382994610
The fact you think the game becomes too easy past 5 colonists sounds like you struggle in the early game, then get bored once you've secured the basics of your base. The game is not afraid to throw some serious bullshit at you the further you progress.

Besides, difficulty really doesn't matter in a game like this. RimWorld is a game that can be super easy or super difficult depending on how you tweak the settings, the game is more about causing interesting things to happen and seeing shit play out than to "win".
>>
>>382997148
Make it out of leather / hides? Growing cotton doesn't take that long. While you can dedicate one person to constantly research, you'd still have to have other people support your researcher for food and such.
>>
>>382997913
Doesn't permadeath still save at certain points? Can't you just alt+f4 and load the latest autosave if you so wish?
>>
>>382997148
Why are you disregarding leather/cotton clothes and use only devilstrand, though
>>
Daily reminder that Rimworld general on /vg/ died because futa-spammer and "How should we troll /dfg/ today guize?" basically made everyone else not want to post and keep the general alive.
>>
>>382998125
there's a slow ass general on 4+4chan
>>
File: 1472207084548.jpg (5KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
1472207084548.jpg
5KB, 230x219px
>>382998041
So? You can cheat in literally every singleplayer game ever made. Abusing the autosave is just cheating. Why not just open the developer console and give yourself anything you want and delete any raids that are too strong?
>>
>>382998125
That's funny because usually what I see happening is the opposite.

A rimworld thread like this one pops up and all the dorf fort turbo autists emerge and shit all over it.
>>
>>382996876
>He opens the front fucking door, letting six ravenous wolves in which proceeded to fuck everyone up.
Use zones
>>
>>382998217
Point was, if someone wants to save-scum, permadeath won't prevent them from doing that. I have a bad habit of savescumming in most games, I've been trying to get rid of it. But just because I do doesn't mean I want to 'cheat' in other ways.
>>
>>382998125
Generals in general are a mistake.
You get shit like /utg/, which doesn't even talk about the game but creates atrocious fanart and layered memes, reanimated beaten zombie horses like /rlg/ that manage to talk about orc priests after doing it for like 5 years, subhuman abominations like that "starcraft" general where they do not talk about the game at all, and many other terrible examples of why you shouldn't ever get too much into one game at a time.
>>
File: 1475847644751.jpg (38KB, 680x793px) Image search: [Google]
1475847644751.jpg
38KB, 680x793px
how the FUCK do I deal with raids? every single time I get raided it goes one of two ways:
>a) I defeat the raid laughably easy, thanks for the free loot delivery you fucking idiots
>b) I get absolutely fucking massacred no matter how hard I try, game over, start a new game from scratch
It doesn't matter if I have amazing defenses or not, the game always finds a way to completely fuck my ass whether it be niggers digging through my walls (what's the point of building thick stone walls if they can just deconstruct them WHAT THE FUCK) or siege raids where I either get my base completely fucked or run out there and die to their snipers.
>>
>>382993943
It's DF for people that are too stupid for DF
>>
>>382998498
put some high value, but low importance shit in an outside store room.

If the raid is too big to handle, let them steal some shit and they will fuck off.
>>
File: fuck.png (6KB, 337x183px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
6KB, 337x183px
>Get raided
>This is fine
>The raiders have molotovs
>pic related
>>
>>382998394
I find that only reloading from auto-saves is enough of a deterrent to stop most people's urge to game the save system. Ultimately you have to just promise yourself not to cheat or savescum, even if you think you lost because the game did something "bullshit" just suck it up and maybe look for a mod that fixes that.
>>
>>382998668
fireproof your base next time. separate buildings and important storage areas with a 2-thick line of concrete floor to act as a "firewall" to stop your whole base from burning down.

if you store all your loot in a huge pile, expect that at some point during the game you might lose it all to a big fire.
>>
>>382998498
>>382998840
nice tower defense game
>>
>>382998498
That's because rimworld's combat has no fucking depth, so it boils down to a numbers game. You're either strong enough to beat them, or you're not, and when you're not you just get overwhelmed and lose instantly no matter what you do.
>>
>>382998498
It's mostly the way you build fortifications.
Niggers won't dig through your shit if you engage them before they start digging.

Also call for help on comms. Helpers are retards, but they soak pretty well and if you don't friendlyfire them, you won't ruin the relations with faction. If you rescue the downed helpers, you can actually improve the relations.

And tame some boars. Bandits are immune to bald, but not to pig.
>>
>>382998498
Have some structures or items raiders can smash/burn away from your main entrance. Some will go for the bait and others will go for the gate. That lessens the amount of dudes you have to fight at once.

You can also try not fighting them. They will leave after destroying/stealing enough stuff.

Finally, raid size is based on colony wealth. Try not expanding so fast.
>>
it's shit
>>
>>382998498
>He doesn't build shield belts + power armor crusader equipped with plasteel swords
>No smoke pelts either
Cmon dude.
>>
>>382999301
>implying even 70% of players ever get that far in this game
Literally the most advanced tech I've has I think was the upgraded research table.
>>
You don't know suffering until the raiders bring doomsday rocket launchers.
>>
>>382996876
You're an idiot for not restricting your colonists to indoors when there's a pack outside. Do you want the entire game to play for you?
>>
>>382994586
>You can savescum
You don't have to, you stupid twat.
>>
File: 1498654893684.png (246KB, 350x410px) Image search: [Google]
1498654893684.png
246KB, 350x410px
>>382999496
You definitely need a dedicated researcher, it took me 8 hours to reach the broken techs.

Also yeah, researching broken techs requires good luck of finding/trading
>Plasteel and golds
Those are logical, because past this research you will have EVERYTHING you need to fuck anything.
>>
File: 1496376128686.png (40KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1496376128686.png
40KB, 184x184px
>>382999075
>Bandits are immune to bald, but not to pig
Very fucking nice
>>
I started a new RimWorld game in response to this thread and upon hunting my first bore they immediately sought revenge and crippled my colonists.

Shortest run of RimWorld yet.
>>
File: 9377233.png (12KB, 569x423px) Image search: [Google]
9377233.png
12KB, 569x423px
i miss /rwg/
>>
>>383001616
Don't bring up that ghost, anon.
>>
>>383001019
did you immediately bring other colonists to help when the boar attacked?
>>
>>383001906
Hordes of animals can be the most dangerous thing in the game. Even a fully power armored drugged-up melee master won't survive alone against ten rats.
>>
File: 1483547835119.png (26KB, 794x619px) Image search: [Google]
1483547835119.png
26KB, 794x619px
>new update comes out
>have tons of mods installed
>want to play the new update with the mods updated
>have to manually install them again because i pirated the game
>cant bring myself to put all that effort on modding again
so this is what i deserve dont i
>>
File: 1497243649459.jpg (69KB, 500x678px) Image search: [Google]
1497243649459.jpg
69KB, 500x678px
>>383002201
nigga you still have to wait for the mods to update
>mfw zombie mod dead and hasn't come back to unlife
>>
File: 1498392578215.jpg (50KB, 858x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1498392578215.jpg
50KB, 858x1024px
>embark on tundra
>-40 degrees F outside
>>
thread's dead lets post ideas for rimworld
>pirates will take over outlander towns and tribes and slowly expand
>quest where you can save slaves/prisoners from pirates which will either join you or will increase reputation with factions upon saving them
>>
File: 1473764757338.jpg (49KB, 225x235px) Image search: [Google]
1473764757338.jpg
49KB, 225x235px
>>383002879
>tundra
>he hasn't attempted ice sheet
>>
File: 1471332396360.png (27KB, 98x174px) Image search: [Google]
1471332396360.png
27KB, 98x174px
>>383003102
>ice sheet
>he hasn't attempted sea ice
>>
>>383002879
I made a base inside a mountain on the north pole once. -70 degrees outside. It was heavily modded and I cheated but man is it satisfying to see raiders freeze to death.
>>
File: 1465744490960.gif (1MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1465744490960.gif
1MB, 500x375px
>>383003198
>sea ice
>he hasn't attempted extreme desert
>>
File: 1496154088898.gif (933KB, 190x220px) Image search: [Google]
1496154088898.gif
933KB, 190x220px
>>383003324
Extreme Desert was easy when I tried it
>>
File: 1482308164738.jpg (206KB, 475x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482308164738.jpg
206KB, 475x500px
why are modders so bad at balancing their stuff? is it that hard to balance or what?
>>
>>383002995
multi-z levels
>>
>>383003487
I'd rather have shit balance than have microcrafting like that robot mod.
>>
>>383003324
Firefly mod overhaul when
>>
File: 1485499177589.jpg (7KB, 195x195px) Image search: [Google]
1485499177589.jpg
7KB, 195x195px
>Paid for the name in game funding pack

Worth it, needs to be more games like this.
>>
>>383003815
>those niggers who paid 200 dollars to have pre-set backstories in game
>you see them with the same name and backstory in every single game
>they're always shit
Priscilla, Min, etc.
>>
File: 1446398802098.png (117KB, 268x322px) Image search: [Google]
1446398802098.png
117KB, 268x322px
>>383003487
>install glitterworld tech
>mfw commandos
>vegetable garden
>you can grow resources and foods gives health bonuses
>any gun mod
>the weapons are too OP
>hospitality
>increase faction relations and earn rewards with little to no effort
>advanced power generation
>never worry about power again
>any turret mods
>you wont need soldiers anymore
what else am i missing?
>>
>>383004056
auto crafter mod and bots
>>
>>383004056
>robbot mod
>you won't need colonists anymore
But the robots are a pain in the ass to build

Also the conveyor belt mod can trivialize some things
>>
>>383003815
I'd have bought them if they were overpriced as fucking hell.
>>
z-levels when
>>
>>383004385
Never
>>
File: 1453095584527.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1453095584527.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>>383004385
you z-levels poster are worst than the futaposter
>>
>>383004436
>>383004454
z-levels when
>>
>>383004479
Never
>>
>>383003926

I put effort into mine, and unlike 90% of them that i've seen, I didn't base it on myself and make it all combat orientated.

Also I didn't make the career or backstory name locked, so random npcs and players can also use them.

>>383004325

They are very expensive, but since I pay $0 for the majority of games i play, and they all suck i'm happy to splerge on something i actually love.
>>
>>383004718
just one question
are you capable of dumb labor?
>>
File: 1473005927782.jpg (23KB, 334x247px) Image search: [Google]
1473005927782.jpg
23KB, 334x247px
dead thread dead game
>>
>>383004932

The character? Of course, nothing worse than a settler who won't clean.
>>
>>383006243
They're useful as organ farms at least.
Thread posts: 185
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.