[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game developers aren't taking risks anymore. I know everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: endless ocean.jpg (47KB, 357x500px) Image search: [Google]
endless ocean.jpg
47KB, 357x500px
Game developers aren't taking risks anymore. I know everything is now planned out so that they can make the most money possible, but because of that everything feels the same. I actually kinda miss the Wii. You at least had games that were trying something different.
>>
Gen 7 in general kinda fucked everything up.

AAA devs, of course, want to push the hardware, so they need higher budgets for prettier games, and won't okay wackier or more experimental projects for those high budgets because their games "need" to be impressive.

AA and lower devs had three choices. #1, try to go for a big budget on the PS3 or 360, and ultimately fail to make a profit because their games would never move those numbers. #2, try to just make a game like they would on the PS2 on the PS3 or 360, and get laughed out by the general public for having shit graphics and ultimately fail to hit the numbers they need and go under. #3, go to the Wii, PSP, and DS and keep making games on a reasonable budget, which might work at the moment, but the massive levels of shovelware on those platforms made it hard for the general public to find their games, and when those systems died they found themselves left in the dust and unprepared for any of the HD platforms, with the only reasonable stepups of the Wii U and Vita being ill-fitted between the Wii U's audience only caring about first party Nintendo properties and the Vita's audience either being solely in Asia or just wanting anime or fanservice games, leaving them in the position of the two prior spots. Japanese devs also had the issue of their market outside of mobile rapidly shrinking in recent years, so if they tried to get by on even the 3DS, their games probably would fail to sell without relying heavily on old, nostalgia properties, or shallow pandering. And very few types of games work well on the mobile platform.

Just recently we've started getting to a point where a decent number of people are okay with lower budget games, but sadly most of the good devs who would provide such experiences back in the day have left the industry now.
>>
>>382981782
Exact reason why I believe indie games will be the one that will save gaming. They are the only group that can still innovate and try new things without being forced by higher-ups to toe the line and make a game more mainstream.

AAA games/devs/companies can't really compete. If you have hundreds of people depending on one game to be profitable, you will try your safest way to make it profitable is mainstream taste.
>>
>>382985473
>Exact reason why I believe indie games will be the one that will save gaming.

truly the shareware-tier garbage is going to save the gaming alright
>>
>>382985473
Japs will save gaming anon
>>
>>382981782
it's less about making profit and more about securing the company from massive investment loss in first place - bigger than ever budgets and all that.

Your best option is to stick one's head out of your ass and keep a close eye on indie scene - there's shiteload of good stuff coming out and not just retro-pixelated junk
>>
shut the FUCK up

we just had w101 you stupid retard and you didn't buy it.

Oh let me guess, you also bought twewey, rhythm heaven, kid icarus, splatoon, zombiu, my little king and arms didn't you? no, you didnt

kill yourself
>>
>>382985565
>Gave Wii Game as anexample of a "risky game"
>Wii known as a crapware machine
>>382985642
Japs don't innovate that much. I am into indies these days and I read jap indie stuff and most are literally rehashes of 8/16 bit games with their own flare. A lot of platformers and shumps.

However I consider most jap game companies indie because of how small they are so you are right.
>>
>>382985749
Not OP but I bought most of those and when they came out to boot
>>
To be fair Nintendo shits out low budget games like boxboy, tower defense stuff etc on the eShop. Whether they good or not IDK. But EA and other big Western third parties don't bother with low budget titles. I think Ubisoft from time to time might make something low budget like child of light but it's rare.
>>
>>382985749
oh its summer alright
>>
>>382981782
>Amplitude 4X with an underwater setting
Take my money
>>
>>382985473
Indies just make copies of Nintendo games but worse.
>>
>>382985642
This
>>
>>382985939
>Japs don't innovate that much
>Western Indie scene is literally built on what the Japs were doing 25 years ago with some modern gameplay conveniences/tweeks
WwWWWwWWWwww
>>
>>382985473
Name three innovative indie games.
>>
>>382985939
>>Wii known as a crapware machine
Like the PS2 and PC? Name five shovelware games off the top of your head, no DDI shit. Trash passes through the ultimate filter: time, and everything but memes like Sonic 06 just fades away while the good games live on.
>>
>>382988430
>lists good vidya
>XD summer amirite

yep, it sure is.
>>
>>382983965
The Wii U audience didn't only care about Nintendo properies. They just barely had any good third party games. In general, third party barely gave a shit to make anything unique or exclusive for Wii U and many times had the Wii U version of a game be the most inferior one due to factors such as costing more than other versions (mostly the games that were released later on Wii U), having more bugs due to bad porting, and some games just not getting the DLC all other versions got. Even when third party games did sell fairly well, the third parties were diappointed that they weren't getting AAA game on a 60 million user base sales out of a user base less than a tenth that size (year 1 sales were less than 6 million). The expectations weren't reasonable.
>>
File: 3pwall1001_ubiwallofshame.jpg (1MB, 800x3277px) Image search: [Google]
3pwall1001_ubiwallofshame.jpg
1MB, 800x3277px
>>382992159
To be fair, there are walls of shame for Wii third parties.
https://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/
It's unfortunate whoever made these stuck all the thid party games on them including the good ones.
>>
File: 9398e427_vbattach173870.jpg (137KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
9398e427_vbattach173870.jpg
137KB, 480x360px
>>382981782
Oh I loved that game. I have about 2000 hours played between Endless ocean 1/2.
>>
>>382990051
shut the fuck up gor, go back to your containment general
>>
>>382993692
Are you joking or are you genuine? I'm wondering because these games interest me and I want to know if they're good or not.
>>
>>382992027
This is the Police
Darkest Dungeon
Papers Please
>>
>>382994561
how did Darkest Dungeon innovate?
>>
>>382994912
I dunno I just pulled it from my ass since iam playing it right now. Replace it with World of Goo which a very interesting approach to solving puzzles
>>
>>382994912
RNG around the board. Customization. Dungeon Crawling. Formation strategy. Item management. Dark Atmosphere. Effective HUB area. Upgrade mechanics. Combine everything and you got something quite innovative no?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.