[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cave Story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: cavestory.png (3KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
cavestory.png
3KB, 400x300px
What's the best way to play this? I have the original freeware version downloaded.
>>
First playthrough should be blind.
>>
>>382967412
Ok, but what version? Also isn't there oddly specific shit you have to do to get the real ending?
>>
>>382967582
Original freeware version is the best way to play it blind.

Also yes, theres no way you'll do it without looking up a guide for the true ending. Don't do that for your first playthrough, just play it and then try for the true ending.
>>
>>382967582
If you have a 3ds, go for the 3DS shop version.
Not the 3D remake, I mean the straight port with Curly's story, extra levels and widescreen. It's the best way to play it
>>
>>382967582
Play the original freeware.
Oh yeah, getting the true ending is impossible without being told how to do it.
After you defeat a certain boss you'll enter a room with a big pit in the middle and a character will appear in thin air and fall down it, IGNORE HIM and jump over the gap (it's a tricky jump, save before hand so you can try again) and then in next boss you face will be in a room half flooded, explore the right side of that room underwater and you'll-

Actually there's more shit to this, there should be a spoiler free guide online, shit's been out for ages.
>>
>>382968067
don't listen to this guy
>>382967582
freeware is the only version that plays at the correct speed
but 3ds is handheld i guess so that's cool
but still if you go 3ds pirate it nicalis is the devil
>>
>>382966719
Wind Fortress is interesting and I actually prefer some of the remixed music (Scorching Back mainly), but the original freeware version is pretty much optimal and bug free I believe.
>>
>>382968067
How is Cave Story plus? Does it have that content?
>>
>>382968312
don't listen to this guy
>>
>>382968384
>How is Cave Story plus
Ruined by shitty music, shitty graphics, and no widescreen
>>
>>382968440
don't listen to this guy
>>
>>382967582
>>382968109
>>382967702

I fucking hate it when games do this shit where you gotta be autistic to get the real ending.
>>
>>382968067
The 3d version gets more flak than it deserves. The item quit glitch adds a lot of replay value
>>
>>382968312
The 3ds version runs at the correct speed. The 3d remake is the one that doesn't.
>>
>>382968540
>Ruined by shitty music
False, it has the option for the original music, remastered original music, and new music, all available at the beginning.

>Ruined by shitty graphics
Graphics actually looked good, but you're right in it ruins it, but only because the 3d models make pixel perfect platforming less precise, and this game requires precision in the later levels.

>Ruined by no Widescreen
You mean it has the same aspect ratio as the original, which was fantastic?

Plus is definitely the worst version, but thing making it worse than the others was the messy 3d models. Everything else is fine.
>>
>>382969830
You got it backwards, the 3D version actually runs properly, the eshop version runs a tad slow.
>>
>>382970229
>Everything else is fine
Except for 4:3, shitty music&graphics
>>
Does the free version still have the best translation?
>>
>>382970450
>except for original aspect ratio, original music, and graphics

You've never actually played + or the original, have you?
>>
>>382968540
>Ruined by shitty music/graphics
it has the original music and original graphics in it, the fuck are you on about?
>>
How's the switch version? Can't seem to justify getting it no matter what way I look at it
>>
>>382970856
http://cavestory.wikia.com/wiki/Version_differences
It's the plus version with Widescreen, the option for Original/Remastered/Remixed Music, but no original graphics.

Overall, it's the best version, but if you've played either the Steam version or the eShop version you've already played it.
>>
>>382970468
in my opinion yeah. the later localized ones update the references and some of the jokes (early on in the computer chat), which feels totally out of place
>>
Wasn't Pixel scammed out of making any money from any of the ports and remakes? If that's the case then you might as well get the freeware version
>>
>>382971151
>Overall, it's the best version
>No original graphics
HA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
fuck off nicholas no one likes your ballsacks graphics
>>
Freeware is best for the first playthrough.
Every paid version runs at 60 FPS, which makes the game feel too fast for me.
>>
PSP homebrew version is the best IMO
>>
>>382971286
Are you the same mouth-breather that didn't even know Plus had the option for original graphics or original music?
>>
>>382971407
That makes the game run at like, 40fps.
>>
>>382971556
But that pixel density bro
>>
>>382971465
Too bad you're stuck with the shit Kool-Aid man translation.
>>
>>382971779
Literally everything but the original has that, and you're too busy bitching about your precious widescreen to play it.
>>
>Just bought this for Switch
>That absolutely pussified jump in the waterway

Oh my god, I couldn't believe it
>>
>>382971151
>but no original graphics
But why, the remastered graphics look like ass.
>>
>>382971887
Something about Pixel getting fucked by Nicalis, but still owning the rights to the original graphics and not letting them using.
>>
>>382971986
*Not letting them use it.

I mean, it sucks, but I don't blame him.
>>
>>382971986
Well that's pretty shitty, guess I'll stick to my pirated eShop version. Would have been nice to have a physical copy but if Pixel's not seeing any of my money then forget it.
>>
>>382972274
That's not quite it.

Pixel still gets money, all the rights are fine.

Pixel and Nicalis got into a bit of a row when the Wii version was released. Nicalis skimmed a bunch of the fan community's Cave Story mods, and took some aspects directly and copy/pasta'd a few lines of dialogue and a bit of source. Pixel was pretty mad about it, but he'd already signed over exclusive publishing rights to Nicalis.

So he's not terribly happy with them, but he definitely gets money.
>>
>>382971254
>>382971986
>>382972274
Support Pixel by buying his latest game Kero Blaster available on steam, iOS and ps4.
Kero
>>
>>382972668
Oh yeah, this too.

That said, don't expect it to be Cave Story 2, or even Cave Story 0.8. It's a very different experience.
>>
>>382972584
which mods?
>>
>>382973214
Honestly, that was like 7 years ago. There's probably still some forums with the proof of it though just search up Nicalis Pixel feud.
>>
>>382966719
just started this game and i am loving it
it's like undertale meets darksouls
>>
>>382973735
2/10
>>
>>382968736
you have a pretty good chance of fucking it up even following a guide ( i know i have) so dont worry about it the first time
>>
>>382968736
When pixel first made the game, the "real" ending was actually more of a "bonus" ending, and wasn't supposed to be canonical.

That's why the route to get to it makes no fucking sense.
>>
I played the freeware version and beat it a couple times and I just bought the Switch version because there isn't really any other games out right now for it.

I love it, worth every penny. Oddly enough I'm stuck on the area after the plantation, I keep fucking up and dying. Never had this much difficulty doing it before.
>>
>>382966719
Freeware PC version with a controller and in a comfy chair. Mods are optional.
>>
>>382974195
They reduced the size of a few platforms in a few areas after the Plantation to make it a bit harder.

God knows why.
>>
File: pharaoh2c[1].png (155KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pharaoh2c[1].png
155KB, 640x480px
Cave story+ is actually the best. BUT it's absurdly over priced. Pirate it and then buy it if there's a sale.

btw, Pharaoh rebirth is the superior Japanese Freeware plat former turned payware. Insanely under rated.
>>
The guy who made this is a millionaire right?
>>
>>382976140
no lol
>>
>>382970314
What do you mean by a tad slow?
>>
>>382976212

On Steam alone, Cave Story has sold 700,000 units. They're still making ports for Switch, so it must still be selling. The game was a one man project, so it's not like he has a whole dev team to pay. Unless he made horrendously bad decisions when making deals, he should have made at least several million dollars so far.
>>
>>382973214
>>382973592
Pretty sure it was the Boss Rush mode and Curly Story, although I might be wrong. The old threads are probably in the depths of cavestory,org or what was formerly MiraiGamer.
>>
>>382976410
>They're still making ports for Switch, so it must still be selling
That's just Nicalis milking a popular IP for all that it's worth. If La Mulana were half as popular, you can bet your ass you'd be seeing it fucking everywhere.

That aside, it all boils down to the deal Pixel made with Nicalis. I can't really see him making that much since he hasn't really been involved in the thousands of ports and remakes they've been making
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.