[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meanwhile on Myst /v/...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Myst Island.jpg (81KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
Myst Island.jpg
81KB, 600x350px
Meanwhile on Myst /v/...
>>
>>382964442
My older brother played this when I was a kid and I always thought it was the most boring shit ever
>>
I took a dump in the little pool with the ship.

It's not like there's a toilet anywhere.
>>
Atrius is being weird. He like... put himself in a book. He lives there now.
>>
Is it even a good game? Does it still hold up?
>>
>>382964739
I heard he has a bitch in every Age he writes.
>>
>>382964553
>My older brother played this when I was a kid and I always thought it was the most boring shit ever
It kinda was. Hard to see now, but it was considered incredibly pretty when it came out. That was one of the main selling points. And it was initially intriguing... but by the time you get to the 2nd or 3rd area it's just...... ugh. And that's coming from someone who played PLENTY of text-driven and point-n-click adventure games.

Don't get me wrong, Myst was definitely an innovator. It was mostly hype, but that surge of popularity pushed the medium forward as other devs tried to compete with it. The fact that it wasn't an amazing game didn't really matter. There are games like that in every generation.

>>382965115
>Is it even a good game? Does it still hold up?
Haven't played it in years, but probably not.
>>
>implying I haven't fucked off to Riven

yeah have fun with your cute little sound mazes, I have a village to lord over.
>>
File: 0.png (2MB, 1280x929px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
2MB, 1280x929px
Myst didn't grab me, but Riven did.
>>
>>382966501
Enjoy your rotting rock.
>>
>>382965115
>>382966418
I played it relatively recently.
The Real Myst masterpiece to be precise. It definitely holds up alright.

Side note:
I am stuck on what I assume is one of the last puzzles in Quern. Been a great ride, but this fucking Study is kicking my ass.
>>
>>382965115
>puzzle game
>how does it hold up
what kind of question is this
>>
Quern is infinitely better than Myst ever was.
>>
>>382967667
Yeah
>>
>>382967505
you'll feel like a retard when you figure it out, it's really not that complicated. Think about what the numbers are actually pointing to in the slides, 95% chance you're overanalyzing it.

Shame the end of Quern is bullshit, I fucking loved it the whole way through otherwise.
>>
>>382967960
>overanalyzing
It's literally just the first number in each sequence.
>1-8 refer to the 8 points above the exit door
>First number refers to something (Closest I've figured is it refers to the first letter of each phrase, but can't fathom what I'm still doing wrong)
>2nd number refers to the word in the phrase
>3rd refers to the letter in the phrase
>Convert to symbol
>Input
>Nothing happens
And I just thought of something. Fuck.
>>
>>382968262
You should be spelling something in Latin

Speaking of Quern, what's another good Myst-like game to pick up? I've heard underwhelming things about Obduction and The Witness.
>>
Okay but no, really. I did Channelwood just fine, but I got to the part where it's just a bunch of sounds on an archipelago after the zeppelin and I don't know what to do.
Also, don't give me the solution, but give me the hint for the 123 gear puzzle in the clocktower. I brute forced all of the puzzles as a kid because I couldn't read, but I don't want to do that this time.
>>
>>382968262
You're like 3/4s of the way there, the first number is determined by something even more basic though
>>
>>382968451
The Witness is not myst-like at all. It is just a phone game.
>>
>>382968502
>Also, don't give me the solution, but give me the hint for the 123 gear puzzle in the clocktower.
when you pull the things to change the numbers, hold it down and it will change in a different way.
>>
>>382968451
The Witness is actually pretty decent. Biggest complaint is that a couple of the puzzles can be brute forced fairly easily. Like I just beat them initially by making random moves during the initial "oh hey what's this" fuckaround and only afterward realized how you were SUPPOSED to solve it. TBF that's true of some puzzles in Myst as well though.
>>
>>382968561
>even more basic
Is it the Letters he's been leaving behind?
>>
>>382968860
forsan
>>
>>382968796
God fucking dammit.
>>
>>382968823
My issue with The Witness is that apparently 80% of the game is 2D maze puzzles and the colourful fantasy world shown in the promo material is ultimately misleading.
>>
>>382968998
Yeah, I got it.
Thanks.
>>
I always wanted to play Myst when I was a kid but could never afford it so I played a weird clone where you were a guy driving at night then you got abducted and when you woke up there was an island you could walk around on. I don't remember much about it but the graphics were exactly like Myst and one of the first puzzles involved filtering water using rocks or something.
>>
>>382970059
And that ending was fucking awful. Will definitely play again at a later date tho.
>>
>>382968451
Haven Moon is alright.
>>
>>382971464
I just played that recently because of the Steam sale. It's very short, I beat it in 2 hours, and some of the puzzles are kind of poorly designed. I still enjoyed it though, it's visually impressive for an indie game and has that same sort of vibe that Myst does, and the puzzles that are fair are enjoyable. Considering it was made by only one person, it's an alright game.
>>
>>382964442
This game creeped me the fuck out when I was younger.
>>
I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played around the time myst came out

It was a point and click adventure that started you off in a motel
There was like some greaser dude that talked to you in the beginning
And you would go into some creepy cave with Native American imagery

Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
>>
I had no idea what was going on, playing Myst as a kid. I managed to get one or two worlds deep, but my reading/comprehension ability wasn't good enough to understand the puzzle solutions. I just brute forced everything.

>So I click this, I hear a clunk...
>*search entire island*
>Hmm, that didn't do anything. But what if I make it do a clink noise...?
>*now there is a door open some random spot*
Repeat ad nauseum
>>
>>382964442
Is the 3DS Myst alright, or should I look into something else?
>>
'Twas a good thread, Anons.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.