[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are point and click adventures dead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

Are point and click adventures dead?
>>
no, it's just that all the new ones that come out are not aided by your nostalgiavision
>>
>>382955031
>Pendulo Studios releases a great point'n'click every sngle fucking year
>Thimbleweed Park
>a bunch of other shit I can't be bothered to remember, like new Simon the Sorcerer episodes, new King's Quest episodes, shit like Whispered World and whatnot
Nah, point'n'click is alive and kicking.
>>
no, but franchises like monkey island and sam & max are
>>
>>382955031
No, but they're kinda niche now

Walking simulators and stuff like Telltale Games have largely replaced them
>>
There is a tag on steam specifically for "point and click" and during the sale when I did the queues for the cards, I saw at least 3 to 5 point and click games per go. You are not looking for the real answer, you just wanna wallow in your nostalgia for the 3 or 4 old as hell ancient point and click games you played long ago.

Point and click games are not dead at all whatsoever, especially with how fucking lazy everyone is getting and how mobile games are blowing up. Search steam or just start a thread about those same 3 or 4 games you have a giant nostalgia boner for specifically.
>>
>>382955865

its sad because early telltale, while perhaps not as difficult as old games, had actual gameplay and puzzles before TWD.
>>
>not text adventure
>>
>>382955031
Not really, it's just not a genre that is popular, because technology moved on. It's really niche now that's mostly driven by nostalgia. Telltale and visual novels have mostly replaced them entirely. Though some come out every now and again like The Lost Crown. Which is a ghost story point and click.
>>
File: WadjetEyeGames-2.jpg (21KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
WadjetEyeGames-2.jpg
21KB, 640x480px
>That moment when you realize Wadjet Eye games all have that fucking preachy thing going on.
>That moment when other people's games that he publishes also suffer from it.
>That moment when you realize he probably tells them to make the script more preachy.
>That moment when you realize one of his first commercial games (the shivah) dealt with someone being too preachy and being told to stop it.
>That moment when you realize you have all his adventure games but you don't really remember them fondly.
>Just them being preachy and doom and gloom.
>You just know he'd have Guybrush meet a man who tells him about the death of his wife and how sad he is because of that and then Guybrush sees LeChuck kill Elaine and the game ends just like that cuz fuck proper endings here's death deal with it.

For someone who's trying to make a living making adventure games he's sure doing a good job killing it again.
>>
>>382956883
I prefer interactive fiction, to be honest.
>tfw I've played through "Spider and Web" and "Counterfeit Monkey" and not any other story ever topped them or will top them
>>
I tried one earlier this year and was the unfunniest shit I ever played. Also the game was filled with references up the ass, literally a meme game. I think it was called the wardrobe or something, damn it was pretty bad.
>>
>>382957424
Redpill me on the "preachy" stuff. I only know the first 3 Blackwell games.
>>
There's still quite a lot, one I played recently was The Last Door which was quite fun if a bit pixel hunty.

Also some walking sims (eg Ethan Carter, Until Dawn) have point and click-lite elements
>>
>>382957805

Its all just so depressing, Blackwell games all have this "my mom died in the loony bin.. and our family gatherings were so sad.. and now I too.. am sad.. and my life.. so sad!"

So I play another game and its a.. 1920s? kinda adventure, and its like "oh.. the boss fired me.. so sad.. new life! but.. so betrayed.. oh so sad.. i'll be a criminal now.. oh.. so died.."

so I'll play Shardlight, and its like.. "oh people dying.. so sad.. my friend shot.. so dead.. so sad.. the cure.. not for us.. so sad.. all a lie.. so sad.. more death! so sad.. hey you YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE! so now i'm.. so sad!"

Shudder, not looking forward to his new stuff.
despite the graphics looking great you know it will be about some guy who's all sad because family of his died and now he meets some people who lie to him and all that same shit.

I should replay Monkey Island 1 again.
>>
>>382958445
Thanks. I only know the Blackwell games so I didn't know the other games are like this too.
>>
>>382956632
And they also made fun games instead of the 2serious5u shit they make now.
>>
>>382955031
Yeah. Sad. Monkey 3 when?
>>
File: mudd-greenlight-screenshot4.png (105KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
mudd-greenlight-screenshot4.png
105KB, 1280x800px
Fester Mudd Curse of the Gold was great, but then you read how they considered it a flop so they won't make the other episodes.

So even though you paid for the game you will never experience the full thing.

Episodic games were a mistake.
>>
>>382959235
20 years ago
>>
>>382959460
Kek
>>
Paradigm is a new funny adventure game.

The jokes are set up well but the punchlines aren't great. Still some fun somewhere in there.
>>
>>382956632
>while perhaps not as difficult as old games

I felt this playing Back to the Future. It was easy, you had a history and game play.
While TWD is just... text on the screen.

I played the first one and never touched any other Telltale's game again.
>>
File: Drew.gif (68KB, 289x345px) Image search: [Google]
Drew.gif
68KB, 289x345px
Doesn't Nancy Drew have a monopoly of this genre in this day and age?
>>
>>382955461
>not "alive and clicking"

reported
>>
File: 1499272622373.jpg (189KB, 1023x595px) Image search: [Google]
1499272622373.jpg
189KB, 1023x595px
>>382960015
Nancy Drew couldn't find her own clit.
>>
>>382959407
the best burgers in town from all around
>>
>>382960247
Neither could you
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.