[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hollow Knight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: 427608-hollow%20knight%20banner.jpg (396KB, 2500x1160px) Image search: [Google]
427608-hollow%20knight%20banner.jpg
396KB, 2500x1160px
Before we get started, I'm going to throw some critique out there so you don't think this is a shill thread. The backtracking can be annoying, NPCs you need to visit a lot are too far from fast travel points with annoying enemies you've fought a million times between them. The art style is a little dull, too much blue save for a few areas. The game has some pacing issues, it takes too long to get going from the start, they should have given you some abilities faster instead of scattering them around so much perhaps.
Now with that out of the way, I'm really liking the game, I'm making my way to the final dreamer now. How hard is it to get the good ending? Do I have to 100% absolutely everything, or just upgrade the nail all the way? Also, something about White Palace? Trying to decide if I want to get the good ending now or just beat the game and tackle that down the road. There are three endings too, aren't there? Is doing three dreamers and then fighting the final boss the bad end?
>>
>>382912784
>heh heh buy game /v/
>am not shill tho ;)
Fuck off hollow shitter
>>
>>382912784
>>382912934
Pretty much.

>>382912784
OP, you might be coming from a decent place but there have been far too many shill threads for this piece of shit. I don't think anyone can take this seriously anymore.
>>
>>382913357

>but there have been far too many shill threads for this piece of shit

There are literally zero shill threads for almost anything.
People who think indie devs would waste time spamming threads to win over /v/ of all places are delusional.

There are people who like the game and recommend it, but only the most bitter, cynical moron would think that's the same as a shill.
>>
>>382913357
Yeah, that's the trouble with this. I've never discussed video games anywhere besides /v/ for the past ten years, after too much dickwaving at Facepunch over post counts. But we're just not allowed to discuss this particular game at all here. Thought I'd give it another shot since I just started playing it, but I'm too late to the party I guess. It got Undertale'd and I can't really blame it for both the overpraising of the game and the false flagging it's received.
>>
>>382913579
OP here. I will admit that I think it happens with some games, like Night in the Woods. I don't think it happened with HK since we have a history of liking Metroidvanias, but NITW seemed fishy to have non-stop threads here, and then the dev saying "tfw people like your game" on Twitter, though I think "tfw" is basically a Facebook meme by now anyway.
>>
>>382913579
>There are people who like the game and recommend it, but only the most bitter, cynical moron would think that's the same as a shill
Shut the fuck up with your pedantry. It's all relative, I use the 'shill' to mean posters who make a million threads about how great Hollow Knight's dick tastes. I doubt anyone here (besides you maybe, retard) actually use the term by the dictionary's definition.
>>
>>382912784
The critique about backtracking is not specific to this game but rather the metroidvania genre. But the dream nail upgrade in the next free DLC will fix that. Also I agree that it has pacing issues. The beginning can be boring to some people.
>>
>>382914065
Not that guy, OP here. I honestly genuinely just wanted to attempt a thread. I purposely threw the criticisms in to try to deter it, but there's just no way at all to discuss this game I guess. Maybe I baited it by accident. It doesn't matter, the game is a fucking whirlwind of people shilling, counter-shilling, false-flagging. Shitposters in general managed to ban discussion of it from /v/ completely. I'll just have to Google shit about the endings and try to avoid spoilers I guess.
>>
>>382914435
Pretty much, sorry man.
>>
>>382912784
I don't get why people get all autistic if they have to go through the same area twice. If I like a game I don't mind having to manually travel through it.
>>
>>382914523
Some haven't played metroidvanias before.
>>
>>382914435
Sorry OP, you can't come to /v/ to talk about video games. You either post consolewar bait or you're a shill numale SJW cuck who's killing gaming.

Doing the dreamers and then killing the boss is the bad end. For the better ending you need to explore an area that's well-hidden. You don't need 100% completion.
>>
File: excesssive.jpg (394KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
excesssive.jpg
394KB, 1920x1080px
>>382914523
>>382914676

It's a little overdone in some areas. I know it's a Metroidvania, but some stuff is too out of the way. Here's an NPC you visit a ton, you have to backtrack through annoying enemies and zig zag platform in a lot of areas just to visit him. I redlined my issue, two routes to the closest fast travel point. I would have put him closer to one.
SOTN had one far away too, but then it also had an item you could find that let you teleport there.
>>
>>382912784
The difficulty for getting the true ending isn't hard. You don't have to get 100% to get it.
>>
>>382914780
>>382915012
Is the true ending that "upgrade the dream nail and do white palace" thing? So I just have to go re-fight the dream versions of bosses and then go to white palace or whatever? I found the "palace entrance" with that guard that the dream nail doesn't do anything to.
>>
>>382914936
Only NPC you're pointing out is Cornifer and he only appears once. Why do you have to visit him a ton?
>>
>>382915289
He's talking about Relic Seeker Lemm. No idea why he's so out of the way.
>>
>>382915167
Yea. Upgrade your nail and go to the white palace to get the second piece of the kingsoul charm.
>>
>>382912784
When the game first released there were constant threads about it. After everyone played it you didn't see many threads, just the occasional. The last week has seen a shitload of threads pop up. However, almost all of them start with bashing the game. Is that the new shill strategy? Trashing the game seems to get threads more active.

My personal GOTY. Doing my 2nd playthrough now. I don't understand where all the hate comes from lately. The game is a fucking gem in the sea of trash the industry regurgitates lately.
>>
>>382915289
Nah, the guy you have to sell your shit to. If I made the game, I would have had that NPC be one of the ones that travels to Dirtmouth or something. I don't know. At least somewhere closer. I felt like the banker was purposely put close to a fast travel point just for her to fuck you over
>>
>>382915347
You only visit the guy 4 times. How is that a ton?
>>
>>382915529
You visit the guy throughout the game, you pick up tons of shit to sell him and then want money for other shit.
>>
>>382915520
I never used the banker in my run. What does she do?
>>
>>382915529
>4 times
What? You visit him whenever you wanna sell your shit to buy something.

And even if it was 4 times, that'd still be a pointlessly long trek.
>>
>>382914523

Best part of prime 1 for me was taking a mental note of all the little secrets I didn't have the right upgrade to access. That made the backtracking almost as exciting as the progression for me.
>>
File: IMG_9103.gif (2MB, 279x175px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9103.gif
2MB, 279x175px
>mfw touching the thorns in the last part of the Grey Mourner quest

Legit sat in my chair shocked and angry.
>>
>>382915645
He's 3 fucking screens from the King's Cross Station. Jesus Christ what sort of insufferable cunt thinks that too far. You can crystal dash half the distance too.
>>
>>382915618
Steal your geo
>>
>>382915780
Yeah, Prime 1 had fucking ace backtracking. It's glorious for discovering new areas and finding secrets. But it's tedious if you're just going to visit an NPC again and again.
>>
>>382915606
>>382915645
I only went there 4 times since having to go every time I find a notebook would be tedious. Plus I only went there when I had something expensive to buy since what would be the point of carrying so much geo.
>>
File: IMG_9126.png (46KB, 640x397px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9126.png
46KB, 640x397px
Hope we can get a dlc with him. He's a complete bro.
>>
This game got me into metroidvanias. Are there any other real good ones?

Does SOTN stand up?
>>
>>382916014
Well he is worth visiting for money or not. He does give bits of lore from each item you give. The arcane egg I believe gives the most interesting.
>>
>>382916072
Yeah, but here's another critique. That Metroid ripoff boss was too easy. It seemed like I was going to have a cool fight because I thought that was just the first phase. But nope, boss was a total pushover with easily evaded attacks and it's one of three bosses that leads to the ending. The powerup bosses were a lot harder.
>>382916128
SOTN stands up, and of course play the Metroids. Especially Super, Zero Mission, and Prime. Then try out some of the other newer ones like Ori and the Blind Forest, Guacamelee, Axiom Verge, and more I can't remember.
>>
>>382916128
Play the 2D Metroid games, they hold up.

If you like the Metroid Aesthetic maybe check out Axiom Verge.
>>
I started yesterday and I feel completely lost as to where to go, navigating is extremely difficult and there are no hints as to where you need to go to even progress...
>>
Returned this after a few hours of playing cause it was BOOOOOORRIIIIIINGGGG
>>
>>382916297
It starts off slow, a few more abilities and it gets more fun and you'll have a lot of places to go. Don't spoil it by looking it up yet.
>>382916497
Yeah, I personally really like the game, but I can see how some might not like it at the start. It takes a little too long to get the ball rolling.
>>
>>382916297
Buy a map. Buy a compass. Buy a quill.
>>
I found the transport bug thing and bought the compass back in the village, how much longer until I get some cool powerups?
>>
Like the second and third major levels get you the main ones for platforming.

They're given to you very slowly after that. Though the fighting ones are gotten more often,
>>
>>382916703
You're on your way, it's finally a regular Metroidvania.
I personally think the compass, quill, and map thing is a little much and it should have just behaved like any other game in the genre.I'd also prefer if it didn't have a corpse run because that sometimes punishes you the more progress you make.
>>
>>382916895
Corpse runs are the dumbest shit

>>382916297
talking to that dude in the first village will give you hints. They might not be useful, I can't remember
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.