[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Make a decision for me /v/ Hollow Knight or Dead Cells? I like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: eitheor.jpg (85KB, 486x431px) Image search: [Google]
eitheor.jpg
85KB, 486x431px
Make a decision for me /v/

Hollow Knight or Dead Cells?

I like the sound of both, but only have the money for one. I know hollow knight is well regarded around here, but it seems more like a slow burn, while Dead Cells seems fast paced and more like Enter the Gungeon, which I enjoyed immensely. I know Dead Cells is EA, but it seems to be coming along very nicely and they already have quite a bit in game.
>>
Dead Cells is a good game, but I haven't found the motivation to play it again after beating it once. It just lacks variance. I'd wait for it to be finished before getting it and just go with Hollow Knight for now since it's a complete experience.
>>
>>382832621
>Should i buy a full game or an early acces game
Nigga wat
>>
>>382833090
Ok. I was kinda leaning that way, but I really like these roguelite/metroidvania/randomdungeonrunner/whatever they are called games like rogue legacy, enter the gungeon, ftl, isaac, and nuclear throne.
>>
>>382832621
Dead cells can be beaten in 4 hours if you are an average player. It's not done yet and if there are 3 levels about until the end point.

Hollow knight has many more hours, easily 30. I've heard of 100 hours players too.
>>
>>382833195

I've only ever bought one early access game, subnautica, and I haven't been disappointing. I think its fairly easy to tell which EA games are from good devs that will actually see it through.

EA got a shitton of negative press with that horrid glut of half finished and shitty survival games that all came out a few years ago, and the gullible teens who snapped up every single one only to be disappointed.
>>
>>382833296
I like them too and I'm done with Dead Cells after like 20 hours. Like I said, it's fun, but there's just not much to it compared to those other games.
>>
>>382833449
>I've heard of 100 hours players too.
For one playthrough? That's ridiculous, 40 is like a hard cap for 100%.
>>
>>382833195
HAHAHHA EARLY ACCESS EBIN XDDD I HATE EARLY ACCESS GAMES!!111 IT SUCKS XDDD HAHAHA ALL EARLY ACCESS ARE SURVIVAL CRAFT I ONLY PLAY SMART GAMES XDDD
>>
How do I deal with elites in Dead Cells?
>>
>>382833642
Hello, early access developer.
>>
>>382833642
It makes sense though. I have both games and right now you can put more hours in hollow knight. So in case you want just want to buy one for now i'd take a full game over early acces
>>
>>382833793
Spam traps and bombs.
>>
>>382833793
dodge, spike them with damage, repeat. or try to cheese them with skill
>>
>dodge roll is mapped to B instead of R1

This is wrong and if you don't switch them you are a bad person.
>>
>>382834094
Are you talking about Hollow Knight?
>>
>>382834094
Most games i remember dodge with the buttons not the triggers
>>
>>382833642
There is literally no motivation for a developer to continue working on an early access title after they get their initial moneys worth because very few, if at all, people will buy their game when it's released.

This is why almost every early access game, at their full-release, still feels unfinished, because you weren't ever meant to pay for a finished game.

It's meant to circumvent the "competitive" aspect of making and selling videogames. Why buy a better version of this early access game when the early access game is still in development and will get better? Why sell a complete game when you can make just as much money selling an incomplete one? etc.

In addition to that, all early access games have no substance, do not have talented developers, do not have creative developers, and have no direction.
>>
What are all the games you can think of like dead cells?

Enter the Gungeon
Binding of Isaac
FTL
Nuclear Throne
Rogue Legacy
Risk of Rain (to an extent)

What am I missing?
>>
>>382834221
Only one of these games has a dodge roll.
>>
File: 1479351220539.png (31KB, 433x664px) Image search: [Google]
1479351220539.png
31KB, 433x664px
>>382833642
>>
>>382834357
>all early access games have no substance, do not have talented developers, do not have creative developers, and have no direction.
You're right about the principle, but it's silly to say there are no exceptions. Crypt of the Necrodancer and Dark Dungeon come to mind as EA games that turned out great, and there are plenty of games in the middle.
>>
>>382834494
Crypt of the Necrodancer. Does Spelunky count? Super House of Dead Ninjas is an underrated one as well.
>>
>>382834494
Deathstate
>>
Dead Cells is more addictive to me, but it also runs like hot garbage even on brand new systems. For some reason it stutters and has crazy slowdown and the developers can't figure out why. It's also been broken since last weekend for a lot of players and the developers have yet to fix that, so a good chunk of people can't even play right now.
>>
>>382836581
It was really addictive until i finally beat the watcher. Now it's waiting for new content again
>>
>>382834652
You're right, it was foolish of me to say that.

That statement was personal bitterment towards games that I enjoyed from early access that did end up being released as unfinished garbage.

Speedrunners in particular feels literally no different from what it was in early access and they didn't do anything to make the game a good casual game nor competitive game, despite the creative core gameplay.
>>
So, is Hollow Knight actually good, or just pretty?
>>
when will they fix the stuttering in dead cells? it's annoying as fuck
>>
>>382838019
solid game.
>>
>>382838019
Neither really. Once you start playing it feels like garbage and looks pretty same-y.
>>
Well, what do you feel like playing nigger? Do you want a platforming exploration game or a roguelite? I got Hollow Knight because I haven't played a decent one since Ori and the Blind Forest. I plan on getting Dead Cells eventually, maybe next sale.
>>
>Dead Cells
>Buying unfinished games
Kek
>>
>>382838019
It's good, it just has some pacing issues. Starts off way too slow. And there's too much backtracking. Yeah, it's a Metroidvania, and I fucking love backtracking. However, this one goes overboard to the point where shops you need to revisit many times are like ten minutes round trip from a fast travel point, while most games would have put them near a fast travel point because it's not fun trekking that same path a hundred times with enemies that get easier and easier and more boring.
That paragraph sounds like a lot of negative, but I'm still talking about a damn good game here, just be ready to spend a lot of time on it.
>>
>>382838879
That sounds fine. I haven't played a game of this sort in a while. I'll probably just grab it, and see how it is. Worst case, I just refund it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.