[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Smash a fighting game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: smash.jpg (76KB, 636x382px) Image search: [Google]
smash.jpg
76KB, 636x382px
Is Smash a fighting game?
>>
File: Sakurai_745.jpg (38KB, 325x277px) Image search: [Google]
Sakurai_745.jpg
38KB, 325x277px
No it's a competitive action game.
>>
it's not a traditional fighting game but nowadays I would place it in that category, even if sm4sh is shallow and terrible in comparison to literally anything else.
>>
>>382827302
the hell is a competitive action game?
>>
>>382826164
It's a brawler
>>
File: lucky.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lucky.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>382829383
>>
File: 20xx.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20xx.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>382829383
plus tas is just too darn fun to watch
>>
It's a game where fighting is the primary focus. Is it Street Fighter? No.
>>
>>382829383
gaylee cucks gan't go into a single thread without starting shit
>>
>>382826164
Melee is. The rest is Tr4sh
>>
File: peach.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
peach.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>382829383
but it wouldn't be a complete game without some bullshit
>>
>>382826164
It's a platform fighter, or >>382829563
>>
>>382829927
>not balanced
>linear, random classic
>abhorrent stages
>trophies unlucked by gacha machine
>limited special smash
>mandatory tap jump
>no customs

>B-B-BUT MUH WAVEYIFFING INTO A FURCANCELED MAMBI PAMBI ZA WARUDO JECHT SHOT
>>
>>382829454
Smash Bros.
>>
>>382827302
>>382829454
An action game that involves players competing against each other.

Fighting Game is shorthand for "Street Fighter 2 Clone", in the same way that Shooter means "Doom Clone". Super Smash Bros is as much of a fighting game as Metal Slug and Virtua Cop are Shooter games. I mean, back in the day some people used to call them "Tournament Fighters", but people started using Fighting Games because everyone knew what you were talking about.

To be a fighting game, it has to have:
>Select-able characters with differing move sets
>All players share the same screen
>Players share control of the camera based off of their position on screen.
>The main goal is to defeat the opponent out by getting rid of all of their life points. There are sometimes alternate win conditions, but this condition is mandatory.
>Arenas are simple, and getting around them is done by just simply walking or running in different directions. Some games let you switch arena in mid fight.
>The games are about fighting

Some Smash players will argue that the "Life Points" and "Simple arenas" rules are made to get rid of Smash. Truth be told, If we got rid of the "life points" rule, ESPN NFL 2K5 could be considered a fighting game. Obviously trying to label NFL a Fighting Game is ridiculous, so the rule stands. Same thing goes with the simple stages rule. Sonic Adventure 2's 2P Shooting Mode has everything on this list, with the exception being that the stages require jumping and flying around to access all of it. This mode is clearly not a fighting game, and neither is Sonic Adventure 2, so this rule must also stand.

When it comes down to it, most people know what other people mean when they use the term "Fighting Game". Trying to force Smash under the umbrella is something Smash players try to do in order to get some sort of non-existent street cred. FGC will never accept smash, and it's time to move on. Who cares what they think?
>>
File: v_1496704579184.png (151KB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
v_1496704579184.png
151KB, 500x299px
>>382826164

No, it's a human pinball simulator.
>>
>>382830049
>muh chantent
Good job outing yourself as a casual.
>>
>>382832546
I've always heard fighting game stand's for SF2 clone, but who actually decided that's what it meant. Sounds like bullshit to me. Also smash has life points a.k.a stocks, and simple arenas are used all the time in competitive play.
>>
it's a fighting game for people who don't have the mental capacity to remember combos
>>
>>382834158
>[ ]actually address his points
>[ ]not post at all
>[x]CALL HIM A CASHEWALL THATLL LERN HIM FOR HAVIN A DIFRENT OPINYIN XD
>>
File: 1301560142817.jpg (23KB, 165x285px) Image search: [Google]
1301560142817.jpg
23KB, 165x285px
>A game where you fight
>/v/ says it's not a fighting game
>>
>>382834857
It has combos though, also fighting games aren't all about combos if that's what you're implying.
>>
>>382826164

Yes
>>
>>382834857
no combos means no bullshit infinities and other cheap retarded unnecessary shit

smash is the apple to the fighting game purist autist's pc aka superior
>>
>>382834857
>it's a fighting game for people who don't have the mental capacity to remember combos

Git fukt, kyunt, I play games to have fun, not do data entry.
>>
>>382834857
>remember combos
>not learning to instinctively adapt to each attack and how they relate/chain into each other
spotted the casual
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.