[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monster Hunter Clones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: MH Clones.png (613KB, 860x358px) Image search: [Google]
MH Clones.png
613KB, 860x358px
I'm trying to get into Monster Hunter but I'm not sure if it's for me yet. I've got MHFU and it's quite irritating to play. I'm also thinking of getting MHTri to see if a different control scheme might change things. These games also interest me as well.

How different from MH and these game individually? Is it purely cosmetic or do the games actually play differently?

Should I see if I can get into MHFU or Tri first and then try these others, or should I go for one of these and then move onto MH if I like them?
>>
>>382800486
>MHFU
>Tri
You got memed on.

FU is loved by people who got nostalgia, Tri has the underwater combat the devs completely removed from that point on because it was a messy mistake.

Get the HD version of P3rd if you're emulating, 4U and Gen if you're on 3DS. 4U is the best version so far, has a proper story and teaches you everything.
>>
>>382801748
I'm more concerned about the MH clones. Should I bother with any of them?
>>
File: Chameleos.png (140KB, 419x327px)
Chameleos.png
140KB, 419x327px
>Max Potion was stolen!
>>
No clone can come close to a true MH game. The difference is extremely significant. Tri Ultimate and MH4U are both on 3DS and are excellent starts to the series with enough content to keep you busy for a very long time. Generations is the newest game, but it has SIGNIFICANTLY less content.

MHFU is a classic, and is tied with MH4U for content, but it's definitely not the best place to start anymore. Tri Ultimate is the same thing as Tri, but much better and has triple the content.
>>
>>382801834
Play Soul Sacrifice Delta, it's a genuinely great game.
>>
>>382801834
SSD seems decent, Toukiden and GE are weightless pieces of shit regarding combat. Freedom Wars and ROA seem unimpressive from the videos I checked out.

Unfortunately, nothing is quite like a good MH game.
>>
Started playing the F2P Toukiden 2 that's on ps4. Enjoying it more than I thought finished up the story you can do but I guess the rest is online only. Might just wait for a sale now
>>
>>382801985
But what is the actual difference between them? I'm not used to them and all the gameplay makes them look the same
>>
dauntless
>>
>>382801834
SSD is a great game but its the furthest from the Monster Hunter feeling. The closest will be Toukiden, followed by God Eater. Freedom Wars is also quite far from MH, it feels more like a weird Lost Planet 2 with crafting.

I'd say try Toukiden, and then God Eater to ease into the style.

And play SSD regardless, it's fucking amazing
>>
>>382802214
Every generation comes with plenty of quality of life improvements regarding gathering, updated movesets and new weapons, monster and scenario interaction variations.
>>
>>382802214
to me, it all comes down to a matter of elegance.
Monster Hunter manages to be engaging, difficult, interesting, and deep with a relatively simple game.
Every clone I played had ten trillion subsystems, and shit, bordering disgeaga tier bullshit and the hunts were boring as hell.
Plus, animations, feedback design and battle design in MH is on a whole another level.
>>
>>382802214
Years and years of perfecting their art. They've been making these games for a very long time and they are good at it.

It's loads of little things that add up into something noticeable. There is significant depth to monster hunter games.that keeps them interesting, even after hundreds of hours. You'll be hard pressed to play any MH clone for that long, but with MH you will WANT to play it that long.
>>
>>382802520
>>382802541
>>382802676
>>382802720
So if I play some more MH and still don't enjoy it, should I bother with any of the others?
>>
File: linkthing.png (4KB, 560x168px) Image search: [Google]
linkthing.png
4KB, 560x168px
>>382801834
Why even bother, to be honest? Trying a different game to see if you like monster hunter is like eating an orange to see if you'd like bananas.

Really, try Portable 3rd on the emulator, it's really the most newbie friendly game in the series. I'd say totally skip the clones because they're not gonna do what MH actually does. Toukiden is CLOSE, but it's just really bad and repetitive in a way that would make you hate actually playing the game.

Here's portable 3rd. no password, no bullshit. You'll have to type it in, because this fucking 4chan post thing thinks that i'm posting a spam link despite me scrubbing it.

This takes you to a google drive, where you can download the game.

If you wanna play online, search for Hunsterverse, there's a great community of people that hang out and play and stream the game. you'll love it.
>>
>>382803013
I'd say so, yes. I got a couple friend that admire MH but can't really get into it. One of them is totally hooked on Toukiden, the other is a long time GE fan by now.

The GE one managed to get into MH and enjoy it later on, but he still prefer GE
>>
>>382803013
Depends on the reason why you don't enjoy it. If you don't enjoy grinding, probably not. If you don't like the atmosphere or that it's not flashy/anime enough, sure: the others are largely casualized versions of MH.

It's not a big deal if you just like MH-lite, just have fun.
>>
>>382803013
MH is a difficult game to get into. It doesn't really become enjoyable until you breach a certain skill threshold and the game clicks. The more you understand about the game the more entertaining it becomes, and there is a LOT to understand.

Try looking at some youtube videos, and do your best to understand the way armor skills work, because that is really, really important.

Which game are you playing? If you don't enjoy underwater combat, Tri and TriU are the only ones who have that.
>>
Toukiden 2 is more or less closest to MH but with a Japanese style setting. It does still try some of it's own things to make it a bit more unique, especially 2.

GE has a similar basis to MH but is a lot more story focused and the combat is speedier. Even though I enjoyed it when I played it, I can completely understand what people mean when they call it "weightless" and see why they wouldn't like it.

Freedom Wars is kind of a mix between GE and MH. The combat isn't as fast as GE but there's a big emphasis on moving around quickly using a grappling hook type system to scale the environments and enemies to sever pieces from them. It's a neat game but suffers from a lot of padding and not that many enemies. Could really be improved in a sequel but it will probably never happen.

Soul Sacrifice is only similar to MH in the sense that you're fighting giant monsters. But the combat system revolves around magical spells that have limited uses which you can regain by sacrificing or saving things in the stage such as fodder enemies or certain objects. It has really cool designs and an amazing narrative along with a well crafted setting and tons of world building and interesting characters. It's the one I'd recommend playing the most.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace is pretty disappointing. It plays like a single player MMO and can get very dull very fast. It's the only one on the list you really don't miss out on by not playing.
>>
>>382803637
I'm playing MFHU and I just can't get into the combat. I've tried a few different weapons but combat seems a second or two too slow to keep up with the pace of the larger monsters. The camera control is crap as well
>>
>>382804024
>not going int training school to git gud
There is a reason why the training school exists and if you're not going to use it then don't complain about being shit.
>>
how's toukiden 2 compared to FU and P3rd?
>>
>>382800486
You forgot Dark Souls
>>
>>382800486
Toukiden 2 is fucking great. It does its own thing though.
>>
>>382804024
MHFU is quite old and outdated at this point, and it is notably more difficult as a starting point than the more recent games. The games on the 3DS have a button that lets you instantly aim the camera at the monster, whereas on MHFU you're pretty much required to claw your hand to control the camera. All the weapons also got a moveset overhaul in MH4U, but it's not as significant as you'd think.

It sounds like you're just having trouble with your first MH game, which is extremely understandable. Everyone has to get over that initial hurdle of suck. What weapons are you using?
>>
>>382800486
honestly the only game in your pic that isn't worth trying is Ragnarok. Everything else is great.

They're about as much a clone of MH as Guilty Gear is a clone of Street Fighter. They're all hunting games, that's about it. They all have different flavor.

The game that differentiates itself from the genre more than others is Soul Sacrifice Delta. It's one of the best games for the Vita hands down and delivers a unique experience.

Freedom Wars is a great game tied down by the story. You're constantly having to go to talk to someone or do some bullshit stealth mission in between most missions. The game shined when the online community was thriving.

Toukiden and GE2 are closest to MH.
>>
>>382804917
I started with the greatsword, but that was way too slow. I had a go with the dual hand sword things, but they were still too slow. I then tried ranged weapons but you need to buy ammo for them but I haven't got any money because I can't beat any monster.
>>
>>382805726
>DS are too slow

Neither of those weapons are too slow. You just need to practice. I really HIGHLY suggest you play an easier MH. Literally any later game than MHFU. MHFU is going to kick your ass ten different ways and then shove it's fist up inside and use you as a puppet.
>>
>>382805726
>DS is too slow

you REALLY need to play the newer MH games
>>
Started playing P3rd a while back, already clocked 50 hours on it. Finished the village quests and I'm finishing up the last quests from the guild before jhen. Man fighting the same monsters again burnt me out, the only difference between the guild and the village ones are that they have more health. Is pushing through to high rank worth it?
>>
>>382800486
Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars are probably the ones that try to be the most different from MH, problem is that FW was release half cooked and never given a proper enhanced rerelease that fixes the flaws of the original.
>>
>>382806785
>is pushing through to high rank worth it?
You haven't even started the game yet, senpai. Wait until you play a MH game with G-Rank.
>>
>>382809401
>senpai

What the fuck is Hiro doing now?
>>
>>382809564
>now
That happened over a year and a half ago, senpai
>>
>>382810563
Then why does it only sometimes work, friend? Friend.

Friend. Friend, friend. Only sometimes, friend.
>>
>>382810673
No idea what you're trying to say
>>
>>382801748
>Underwater combat a mistake
I hate you people so much it almost hurts.
>>
>>382811886
Tri U was a pretty amazing game, and there are times where I really enjoyed underwater combat. The atmosphere down there was super thick too.

Fuck the abyssal lagiacrus though. Fuck.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.