[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metroid: Samus Returns thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 54

File: Metroid_Samus_Returns.jpg (65KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_Samus_Returns.jpg
65KB, 315x315px
Here's what we know about the game so far:
>Remake of Metroid II, but with completely redesigned maps done by the guy who did Fusion and Zero Mission's maps (Takehiro Hosokawa). The game seems to have a similar structure to Metroid II (one linear tunnel with individual non-linear levels branching off). Rather than having the separate areas interconnected like they are in Super/Fusion/Zero Mission, they seem to be completely separate and Fast Travel is used as a way to quickly move between them. Although we haven't seen much of the game yet so there could be paths that open up once you get certain abilities. It's entirely possible that the game can be completed/100% without any backtracking too.
>Music is done by the Super Metroid team (Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano). The item acquisition fanfare sounds like the one in the Prime series and Game Over sounds like the one in Super Metroid.
>Unlike the original game, Samus does not start off with the Morph Ball and only starts with 24 Missiles as opposed to 30. Samus also starts off with the Power Grip.
>Infinite bomb jumping and wall-jumping are back. I'm not sure whether wall-jumping is possible on a single wall (like it was in Super/ZM) or whether it will be similar to Fusion's wall-jumping but apparently it's not too difficult to pull off (so it probably won't be as strict as Super's wall-jumping).
>All the upgrades from Metroid II have been shown so far except the Plasma Beam and Screw Attack. New upgrades include the Charge Beam, Grapple Beam and Super Missile. The remaining gaps in Samus's upgrade screen seems to imply that the remaining 4 upgrades and the Plasma Beam, Power Bombs, Gravity Suit and the Screw Attack (which means that the Speed Booster may not be returning).
>>
File: 1497829185467.png (614KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
1497829185467.png
614KB, 760x570px
>>382800329
>Controls are similar to Fusion/Zero Mission with a few changes. L is now used to enter free-aim mode rather than aim 45°. Switching between Missiles and Super Missiles is done via the touchscreen rather than by pressing Select. The Aeion abilities are selected with the D-Pad. Y is shoot, B is jump, X uses the melee counter and A activates the selected Aeion ability. Also the Morph Ball can be activated instantly by pressing the map on the touchscreen as well as by holding down while crouching.
>Most of the beam upgrades are stacked on top of the Power Beam with the exception of the Ice Beam and Grapple Beam (which are selected with the touchscreen). When holding down R, you activate the missile launcher and that brings up 3 new touchscreen buttons for the Missiles, Super Missiles and one more unobtained upgrade. This could mean that the final beam upgrade (probably the Plasma Beam) is used by holding down R rather than stacking on top of the regular Power Beam.
>There are 4 Aeion abilities in the game, we've seen 3 so far (Scan Pulse, the rapid-fire beam and the Lightning Armor). All of these seem to be entirely optional based on Sakamoto's comments and mainly exist to help new players. Seeing as there is already an Aeion ability that improves Samus's vision, offense and defense, the last Aeion ability could be something that lets her restore health in exchange for Aeion energy (similar to what the Crystal Flash did in Super Metroid). Alternatively it could be a returning upgrade repurposed as an Aeion ability or a completely new ability altogether.
>>
File: Screenshot (26).png (837KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (26).png
837KB, 1366x768px
>>382800440
>The upgrade screen implies that there will be Energy Tanks, Missile, Super Missile and Aeion expansions hidden throughout SR-388. If Power Bombs return then they could have hidden expansions too (that would leave space at the top of the screen for one more type of expansion). The map seems to show your item completion rate for the area on the pause screen. I may be wrong about this but these item completion percentages seem to only account for the expansions (like in Fusion) rather than your upgrades and expansions combined. If that is the case then in Area 1 alone, there are 14 hidden expansions.
>The block that lets you escape after Arachnus fight is breakable during the battle, which could mean that the Arachnus fight and Spring Ball are skippable (and by extension, low-percent runs or sequence breaking may be possible). The Metroid fights themselves probably won't be skippable due to the fact that you need their DNA to activate the Chozo gates and lower the acid (plus the main objective of this game is to exterminate all Metroids so it wouldn't make sense to make them skippable).
>In terms of how much damage the enemies deal, Alpha Metroids deal 15 damage with each hit, Arachnus deals 49 damage, Gamma Metroids deal 67-78 damage per hit, Zeta Metroids deal 75-105 damage per hit.
>>
File: guj.jpg (31KB, 277x321px) Image search: [Google]
guj.jpg
31KB, 277x321px
Let's post Samus ass :^)
>>
Looks good
>>
I am already having a blast trying to buy a fucking collector edition.

Who would have thought that nintendo would fuck up again!
>>
>>382800440
What's the point of sping ball when you have the spider ball?
>>
>>382801437
Spring Ball moves a lot faster and you can't use the Spider Ball on certain walls.
>>
Wait it's a remake?
LAMEEEEEE
>>
File: 129643020441.png (147KB, 374x342px) Image search: [Google]
129643020441.png
147KB, 374x342px
So in other words, everything is being casualized in a game that already wasn't that challenging in the first place? Boy, I'm glad I'm getting this with a 100% discount. Thanks 3DS!
>>
>>382801880

You kids are really stretching.
>>
>>382802269
The presence of the aeion abilities in and of themselves is casual trash.
>>
>>382802383

They're just there if you want to use them, you don't have to use them. I know you scream "casual!" at everything to seem hardcore, and because you're just mimicking /v/, but the difference is /v/ started doing it when games started forcing shit you couldn't simply ignore into games that made them all easier. Optional abilities in a game series that isn't even supposed to be difficult in the first place is a non-issue. There's plenty of games you can play to pretend to be hardcore, no need to point out every easy game on the planet.
>>
>>382800329
it'll be interesting to see if they add more stuff to the game.
>>
>>382802383
>>382801880
>optional feature
>it's casual!!!
/v/ truly is cancer
>>
>>382801880
If you're looking for a hardcore game then why do you even own a 3DS? Nintendo game have never been hardcore, by saying you own a 3DS you're basically just screaming that you're a casual.
>>
>>382802767

I think they said that they're adding an additional area.
>>
>>382800329
This is a general.
>>
>>382802696
>>382802827
>>382802823
>They're just there if you want to use them, you don't have to use them.
That's not an argument. They shouldn't exist in the first place. The only options that should ever exist in a video game is to make the game harder, not easier.

Come back to me when the game gets a hell run mode that prevents you from saving, forcing you to play the entire game in one sitting, with no checkpoints or otherwise to give you a safety net.
>>
>>382802967

>The only options that should ever exist in a video game is to make the game harder, not easier.

Haha, whatever. I'm not arguing with a 14 year old.
>>
>>382802767
The original Metroid II had 39 Metroids (not including the newly hatched ones). This one has 40 Metroids. So it will probably have the same number of areas, but from what we've seen so far they are completely redesigned. For instance there was never a lava/extreme heat segment in the original but there is one in Samus Returns.
>>
File: 1494972564926.jpg (34KB, 344x479px) Image search: [Google]
1494972564926.jpg
34KB, 344x479px
>>382803106
>calls others underage for not wanting games to be glorified hallway simulators that hold your hand
>>
>>382802967
>le hardcore gamer xd
Stop trying so hard to fit in, you probably weren't even born when difficult games were the norm. If you can prove that you are over 18 then I will send you $100 over paypal.
>>
>>382802967
Who are you trying to impress, tough guy?
>>
>metroid threads just came out of the shit house
>better start do some reachy, nitpicky shitposting

there must be more than this in life
>>
>>382803463
>>382803340
>>382803732
Heaven forbid we ask games to not coddle the audience. Nintendo has a chance to fix one of the major problems with Metroid, and all their games in general, and they're willingly choosing not to. Worse yet, this game wasn't casual enough for the contextual button mashing sequences? and yes, I will call them quick time events if I so damn well wish to, because they fulfill the same purpose: making the game easier. How much more casualization do they need to shove into the game?

Literally, LITERALLY, all they have to do is reach the same benchmark set by a few guys who made a free fangame on a budget of a ham sandwich. Yet they're already screwing it up left and right. And I'm not allowed to criticize that?
>>
File: you sure about that.png (129KB, 287x297px) Image search: [Google]
you sure about that.png
129KB, 287x297px
>>382802967
>The only options that should ever exist in a video game is to make the game harder, not easier
But then you would complain about the game has become too hard for you
>>
>>382803870
>am I not allowed to criticize based on ideas I haven't actually seen yet in action in am unreleased game
Yeah, you aren't allowed to. Now shut the fuck up.
>>
>>382803870
>not posting any proof
You need to be over 18 to post here. Enjoy your ban.
>>
>>382801810
It'll be like Zero Mission where it's more of a reimagining.
>>
>>382800329

Try again once the kids are in bed.
>>
>>382804138

Do mods even ban for obvious underage anymore?
>>
>>382803982
Are you nuts? I never hate a game that gives me a good challenge. "Too hard" is not a phrase in my dictionary. I might complain if the game is designed to be tedious and boring, but a challenge that requires a fair amount of input on my end is never a bad thing.

>>382804138
>You need to be over 18 to post here. Enjoy your ban.
So what exactly could I do to prove that I'm the "appropriate age"? Should I break out my copy of super Metroid and timestamp it for you? Even if I got the game when I was 1 year old, I'd be at least 23 years of age today.
>>
File: 1470954109784.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1470954109784.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>382803870
it is still possible that they designed the map around the new features so you can't cheese it up that easily

we can't even tell if the game is gonna overall harder of easier than any of the previous entries

you just sound desperate to find something to shit on
>>
does this have 360 degree aiming while being able to move?
>>
>>382804518
No
>>
>>382804598
what about 360 aiming?
>>
>>382804509
>we can't even tell if the game is gonna overall harder of easier than any of the previous entries
Based on the previous work of both Sakamoto and Mercurystream, why do you think they somehow deserve the benefit of the doubt? Neither of them have ever made a good game by themselves, but they love to attach themselves to games they've never even touched and claim all the credit for themselves. Like how Sakamoto claims to have worked on Super Metroid, but he didn't even know what a gravity suit was and thought his dev team were weirdos for making Samus wear purple. Sure doesn't sound like a developer for Super Metroid if you ask me.
>>
>>382804452
Post your driving licence with all the identifiable details blanked out.
>>
>>382804732
And why would I do that? Last time some poor sap did that on /tv/, and the whole thread jumped on him, saying "haha pussy you blanked out your name you're so scared to show yourself". And the thread was shitposted until it 404'd. So that's not happening.
>>
>>382804860
You've already made this thread all about yourself so clearly you thrive on attention. You may as well go the whole way (assuming you're not underage).
>>
>>382804518
No, but you can still run while aiming at 45
>>
>>382804963
If that was so, why am I not using an avatar, or at the least a tripcode? If my aim was to "get attention" I wouldn't be trying to blend in with literally every other anonymous post. My only purpose in the thread was to post criticism about the upcoming Metroid 2 game. Why would you take such offense to that, unless your job depended on it selling well? Sounds like the work of a marketer.
>>
>>382804720
>Like how Sakamoto claims to have worked on Super Metroid, but he didn't even know what a gravity suit was and thought his dev team were weirdos for making Samus wear purple.

You can just look at the credits of Super Metroid and see that he was the Director you know.

And no interview claimed he didn't know what the Gravity Suit was, he just thought it looked ugly on a game trying to be serious.
>>
>>382805274
Why would you go into a thread about a game you don't like unless you wanted attention? And you still haven't proved that you're not underage.
>>
>>382800329
>>382800440
>>382800529
Nice
>>
>>382805376
>Other M
>serious
Sakamoto is not right in the head
>>
>>382805707
trying was they keyword there
>>
>>382805376
>You can just look at the credits of Super Metroid and see that he was the Director you know.
Something only put in the game because he was a higher up in the corporate elite. He could claim to have made the whole game by himself since he's buddy buddy with Miyamoto.

>>And no interview claimed he didn't know what the Gravity Suit was,
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Metroid-Other-M/Vol-2-Development-Staff/5-Second-by-second-Adjustment/5-econd-by-second-Adjustment-207482.html

>Morisawa:
>At first it’s yellow, then the typical orange, then finally it becomes the Gravity Suit, so that Samus is purple. That is Nintendo’s official specification, so naturally we started making the final Power Suit in purple. Towards the end of the game, however, there are some serious dramatic scenes. As Sakamoto-san was watching one of these cinematics, where Samus appeared in purple, he said ‘why is Samus wearing purple?’
>WHY IS SAMUS WEARING PURPLE
>I WORKED ON THE ORIGINAL GAME, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ON ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT POWERUPS IN THE ENTIRE DAMN GAME
>>
>>382804720
People who claim Other M's issues were all Sakamoto's fault are mindless retards who just parrot whatever they hear on /v/ without giving it any thought. It's like the people who claim Other M makes every other game in the series non-canon because of one exaggerated post that was made here. Other M had a shit ton of flaws and is certainly one of the worst games in the series, but it's still better than Hunters and Federation Force.
>>
>>382805445
>Why would you go into a thread about a game you don't like unless you wanted attention?
Because 4chan isn't a hugbox, and criticism isn't this evil thing that needs to be censored?
>>
>>382801880
>casualized
>Metroid

Super Metroid is extremely easy yet it's the best game
>>
>>382806073
And what do you gain out of criticising a game, other than attention?
>>
>>382805904
Funny how you omit the next part you huge faggot
>His response, however, was ‘but it looks strange to have this purple person popping up during such a serious conversation’.
>So we’d consult Kitaura-san as well, but he’d also say ‘yes, purple really is strange’.
Fuck off and die
>>
>>382806015
>People who claim Other M's issues were all Sakamoto's fault are mindless retards who just parrot whatever they hear on /v/ without giving it any thought
See, I can claim that because ultimately it's up to Nintendo and Sakamoto to approve of and fund the game. If they had a single problem with anything in the game, then no matter who originally created it, Nintendo and Sakamoto approved of it, making them complicit in the crime. It's called being an accessory to the criminal.
>>
>>382806267
Fuck off
>>
>>382806218
And what do you gain out of trying to censor discussion?

>>382806267
>His response, however, was ‘but it looks strange to have this purple person popping up during such a serious conversation’.
>when the entire dramatic climax of Super Metroid involved her in her purple suit

Remind me again why people think Sakamoto worked on Super Metroid, other than him obviously self-inserting his name into the credits for no reason?
>>
>>382806353
>do stupid shit
>get called out
>f-fuck off!
Jesus Christ you really are underaged
>>
File: 1423855817462.jpg (15KB, 175x231px) Image search: [Google]
1423855817462.jpg
15KB, 175x231px
>>382806353
>>
>>382805904
>Something only put in the game because he was a higher up in the corporate elite.

I'm going to go with proof on this one instead of having a hateboner for Sakamoto, just because Other M is ridiculously bad doesn't mean you have to come up with tinfoil hat conspiracies about how he never made any good games. Just accept that the man directed some good games and some trash games.

>I WORKED ON THE ORIGINAL GAME, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA ON ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT POWERUPS IN THE ENTIRE DAMN GAME

No where in your source does it say he didn't know what the Gravity Suit was, you should read your source a little better
>>
>>382806459
>muh censorship
If you were getting censored then your post would have been deleted. Although you should be banned for being underage, not for what you've posted.

Also the Gravity Suit is optional in Super Metroid. You would know that if you weren't underage.
>>
The melee counters and 360 aiming puts me off. The 2.5D grayfix also look ugly as shit.
>>
File: MetroidZeroMissionEndings.png (544KB, 960x832px) Image search: [Google]
MetroidZeroMissionEndings.png
544KB, 960x832px
>>382806459
Sakamoto also directed and wrote ZM story and its ending screens have samus with the gravity suit. The difference between OM and those games is that Sakamoto was obviously trying to make a movie, and the purple color is just too "videogamey".
>>
>>382806679
>No where in your source does it say he didn't know what the Gravity Suit was, you should read your source a little better
>"Why is she wearing purple"?
>"she's never worn purple during a serious moment"
>"it looks strange"

Again he claims to have worked on Super Metroid, but fails to remember the largest part of the game, wherein Samus, IN HER PURPLE SUIT, is in a standoff against Mother Brain.

>>382806952
>Also the Gravity Suit is optional in Super Metroid.
Only if you utilize speedrunning tactics. in a casual playthrough you cannot skip the gravity suit.
>>
>>382800329
>mercury stream

there. saved everyone some reading
>>
>>382807039

i have to say i was a bit disappointed by the artworks as a kid
>>
>>382807039
If he did that, then he would remember the suit's color and why it's there in the first place. He wouldn't literally say "why is she purple"? There is no defense for that statement.
>>
> 360 aiming puts me off
Why? It seems like a nice adition, besides you can still aim at 45 while running.
>>
Just entering the thread, why every time /v/ has 2D Metroid or FPS Halo threads, Sakamoto and 343 hating faggots have to come in to ruin them. No gives a fuck about Other M since it was shit, ODST and Reach were garbage and Halo 2 had the same problem as Halo 5 where the multiplayer was the only thing worth talking about. If you faggots can't enjoy yourselves and talk about the Metroid or Halo series in a good way forgetting about the bad times then stop talking about either. You dumbass faggots, I'm starting to believe none of you faggots even play 2D Metroid or FPS Halo and try to act like you're fans of the series.
>>
>>382807152
>she's never worn purple during a serious moment

Jesus, you are really bad at reading.
>>
>>382807338
>>382807030
oops
>>
>>382807152
The game is designed to be speedrun and sequence-broken, that's why you can never get stuck in the game. If you weren't an underage casual then you would know that.
>>
Sakamoto is a hack.
>>
>>382807039
I always thought the pink gravity suit looked better than the purple one.
>>
>>382807468
Okay, then tell me how one is supposed to beat Super Metroid without the gravity suit, but you can't use a single speedrunning tactic. You have to beat the game as a first timer.
>>
>>382807514
Good thing he's barely involved with this game then. He's the producer, which basically means he's in charge of setting deadlines.
>>
>>382807152
>"she's never worn purple during a serious moment"

Again, You should read your source a bit better
>>
>>382801880
I'm baffled. How can you even shitpost longer than a month before it gets boring? You really have to be special to do this constantly.
>>
Name a worse fan base.
>>
>>382800440
Controls have me worried that the game might be a bit slowed down. 2D Metroid should be fast as fuck. I hope there are alternate control schemes.
>>
Graphically, it looks fucking horrible.
>>
>>382807824
>>382807438
>His response, however, was ‘but it looks strange to have this purple person popping up during such a serious conversation’

That settles it. Samus fighting Mother Brain isn't serious in the slightest. They're just joking around. Purple instantly removes any tension from the scene.
>>
>>382807152
>scripted sequence in a bossfight = cgi cutscene
you're an idiot
>>
>>382807963
Any fan of [Company] rather than [Game]. IE Platinum, Sony, From, Nintendo, and so on.
>>
>>382808119
What's it like to have autism?
>>
>>382807659
The game is literally designed for speedruns, that's why there's a timer and that's why the game rewards you for completing it quickly. Super Metroid was the game that gave birth to the speedrunning community (for better or for worse).
>>
>>382807963
Halo, they're about the same, you can't have a good thread on /v/. No one in these Metroid and Halo threads even play the games and act like their fans but they're not because they like getting it in the ass by the Japanese on this site and feel the need to act like them so they want to have the same opinion as them when it comes to Halo and Metroid.
>>
>>382808267
Answer the question
>Super Metroid was the game that gave birth to the speedrunning community
pretty sure that was quake
>>
>>382800329
Looks and sounds like shit AM2R is better
>>
>>382808320
*they're
>>
>>382808119
>Samus fighting Mother Brain isn't serious in the slightest.

Yeah, it's not, because back then he just designed his games as video games instead of as bad movies.
>>
>>382800329
this game looks garbage but you guys will eat it up for some reason.
>>
>>382807963
Pokemon
>>
>>382808135
>>382808219
So you're saying the confrontation between Mother brain and Samus is somehow different? Then explain why that exact scene is in Other M, but Samus doesn't have her purple suit. If he really did help make the game, he wouldn't forget such a crucial detail.

Also, to answer>>382808267, if Super is designed as a speedrunning game, then why did the director make Metroid: Other M, a game where you're not allowed to sequence break, since the game locks you in a room on a linear path until you're allowed to go forward?
>>
>>382808320
Halo threads were ruined by 343 shills and those with crippling buyer's remorse, and the lack of brainpower to not reply to bait. Can't discuss the originals anymore without some faglord jumping out of the woodwork to claim 5 is a return to form, superior to all the OT, and stupid motherfuckers don't hide the posts and feed the shill/remorse fucker.
>>
>>382808110
>>382808413
>>382808552

>3DS game looks horrible on a computer

No really?
>>
>>382808119
Still not seeing where he claimed "she's never worn purple during a serious moment"
>>
>>382808482
>>382808636
see>>382808603

He didn't make the game or he wouldn't forget such a detail.
>>
>>382808603
> if Super is designed as a speedrunning game, then why did the director make Metroid: Other M, a game where you're not allowed to sequence break
This might come as a shock to you, but Super Metroid and Other M are different games
>>
>>382808603
>Then explain why that exact scene is in Other M, but Samus doesn't have her purple suit.
You can turn it off in the inventory before/during the fight in Super and Sakamoto liked the Varia suit more.
Are you happy now you autistic chucklefuck?
>>
>>382808603
>if Super is designed as a speedrunning game, then why did the director make Metroid: Other M, a game where you're not allowed to sequence break

Wow, a person can make two different games? Holy shit
>>
>>382803870
Optional
Option
It's a video game
If a casual picks it up they'll bitch bout the difficulty
You don't have to okay it on easy mode you fucking autist
>>
>>382808620
It's actually the opposite, you go into a Halo thread, you state that YOU think that Halo 4 had a decent campaign and a bunch of Bungie faggots will start parading the thread with Halo 4 was complete shit and Halo 5 is complete shit ignoring that the multiplayer, while not as good as Halo 1-3, is better than what came after Halo 3. They keep putting Halo 2's disappointing campaign along with the garbage that was ODST and Reach on some pedestal when these were Halo at it's worst. I can't understand how you can call out Halo 5's terrible campaign but ignore Halo 2's, ODST, and Reach's as well.
>>
>>382808719
again see
>>382807039
And according to Sakamoto purple just doesn't work in OMs cutscenes.
>>
>>382808630
Oh fuck off. The textures and lighting look as bas as Mirror of Fate, which happened to look like shit on 3DS as well.
>>
>>382808773
>>382808936
>>382808901
They were """""supposedly""""" made by the same person, were they not? How can he completely forget every single element of what many considered his magnum opus? And then refuse to consider that his new favorite game had any flaws whatsoever? You cannot claim that he made Super Metroid when he forget every single thing about it, to the point where he demands that it be changed left and right because it "scares him" and "confuses him.".

>>382809090
>If a casual picks it up they'll bitch bout the difficulty
Then they weren't a fan in the first place. Let them return to Call of Duty where they can have their safe spaces, checkpoints and one way hallways. Metroid shouldn't be about pandering to the lowest common denominator.
>>
This is a good thread.
>>
>>382809152
>And according to Sakamoto purple just doesn't work in OMs cutscenes.
So why did it work everywhere else? Even the Prime games had Samus in "serious" cutscenes with a myriad of colorful outfits, ranging from aquamarine to purple to jet black to brown to white, she went the whole spectrum. But now it's suddenly a problem?
>>
>>382809205
>3DS game looks like shit
No really?
>>
>>382809251
You didn't even address my reply properly >>382808901
Fuck off you autistic faggot
>>
can't wait to get it for free.99

Normally I'd pay for a Metroid game but after what they did to AM2R they aren't getting a fucking cent from me.
>>
>>382809467
just because you can turn it off doesn't mean you should be able to forget it entirely. Really, it's not even about whether purple is good for cutscenes or not, it's about Sakamoto forgetting every single detail from a game he supposedly worked on.
>>
>>382809553
this desu

FUCK nintendo and FUCK white people
>>
Should've been sprite based. Sakamoto is a lazy fuck.
>>
>>382809374
Maybe because the art style, the type of cutscenes and direction between OM and Prime is fucking different?
>>
>>382802823
it's plebbit again trying to bait
>>
>>382809251
>You cannot claim that he made Super Metroid when he forget every single thing about it,

It's a different game, I don't think you understand that someone can make two different things
>>
>>382809553
>being mad for someone else even though the creator is excited for SR

I really don't think he needs your pity
>>
>>382809716
well it's not like he's the one doing sprite work
>>
Hey guys, I have a theory that I KNOW is true. Hideki Kamiya? He never made Devil May Cry 1. Think about it, Okami is a completely different game design, so how could he have made Devil May Cry!?
>>
>>382809654
Sakamoto clearly turned off the Gravity Suit because he wasn't a casual that needed the extra defense/mobility (unlike you). It's not his fault that you're a casual.
>>
>>382809654
Show me in what instance did he forget that the gravity suit existed.
As I said here >>382806267 he didn't, he just thought it looked werd in OMs cutscenes
>>
>Remake of Metroid II, but with completely redesigned maps done by the guy who did Fusion and Zero Mission's maps
>Unlike the original game, Samus does not start off with the Morph Ball and only starts with 24 Missiles as opposed to 30.
>Samus also starts off with the Power Grip.
>New upgrades include the (...) Grapple Beam and Super Missile.
>The remaining gaps in Samus's upgrade screen seems to imply that the (...) Power Bombs
Confirmed to be trash.
>>
>>382809963
No, but it was his idea to go 2.5D. He might not be the game's director, but he's the nigga calling the shots.
>>
>>382809716
If it ends up being as ugly as Zero Mission or AM2R then I'd much rather have 3D models.
>>
File: vCG80VN.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vCG80VN.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>382809553
>but after what they did to AM2R they aren't getting a fucking cent from me.
>"Haha, Nintendo isn't getting my neetbux this time."
What, tell him to stop after he already finished the game?
>>
>>382810131
How are any of those negative?
>>
File: tumblr_onss1eVu7I1rbzfdgo1_500.png (108KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onss1eVu7I1rbzfdgo1_500.png
108KB, 500x616px
>>382802967
The sooner you accept the fact that casuals invaded video gaming, the better. And no, that's not an argument in favor of yours. I'm saying that, for the perceived need that video game developers have for appealing to a broader group of people, having a feature that makes the game easier but is entirely optional to use is a good thing. It means people who want a challenge just ignore it.

But I bet you'd also complain about the Exp. Share on the newer Pokemon games even though they have an easy, clearly visible OFF option that makes the games quite more challenging because they are otherwise balanced around it being on.
>>
File: Let_Go.jpg (100KB, 840x970px) Image search: [Google]
Let_Go.jpg
100KB, 840x970px
>>382810131
>>New upgrades include the (...) Grapple Beam and Super Missile.
>>The remaining gaps in Samus's upgrade screen seems to imply that the (...) Power Bombs
>>Unlike the original game, Samus does not start off with the Morph Ball and only starts with 24 Missiles as opposed to 30.
There's nothing wrong with those and ZMs map was great fuck you.
>>
File: 74d.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
74d.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>382810185
>>
>>382810131
>the guy who did Fusion maps
Great!
>>
File: shit.png (129KB, 760x403px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
129KB, 760x403px
>>382810448
>AM2Rbabbies will defend this
>>
>>382810723
nigga I ain't gotta defend shit
>>
>>382810723
What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>382809753
That's his fault for wanting to make a movie and not a video game.

>>382809774
>>382810095
he didn't make two things, though. He made Other M, and then pretended to make Super Metroid. If he wants to prove that he had an involvement in it, then he can make a game that isn't linear garbage that forces unskippable cutscenes on you. But since one of his comments about Metroid 2 is that "he wants to expand the relationship because Samus and the baby" I can already tell you it's gonna be hot vomit.

>>382810314
>But I bet you'd also complain about the Exp. Share on the newer Pokemon games even though they have an easy, clearly visible OFF option
I do complain about that actually, if only because the game is already easy, and there's no new game plus or hard mode that at least makes the game a little more challenging. It's adding insult to injury.
>>
>>382811048
>pretended to make Super Metroid

Source?
>>
>>382811045
There was nothing to do on SR388, and the Chozo got bored, so they built giant Rockem Sockem Robot tanks for shits and giggles.
>>
>>382806073
not that anon and i agree with you on this topic, but discussion, no matter how rude, shouldn't be banned.
>>
>>382811048
If you truly cared about games not being casualised then you'd realise that Super Metroid was a casualised version of the original Metroid. Casuals have been the target audience for Metroid since 1994.
>>
>>382810219
Super Missiles and Power Bombs are fucking pointless. They are only additional keys on a keyring and an excuse for Nintendo to make Metroid more linear. The Power Grip is a shitty power-up. All the Power Grip does is serve to slow the player down and remove skill from platforming with ledge grabbing bullshit. The Grapple Beam is yet another key on a keyring and the Spider Ball is way cooler to use.

Starting out with the Morph Ball and missiles was a good thing in Metroid II, because it gave the player thematic consistency. Why re-acquire items I was guaranteed to have at the end of Metroid? The only mandatory items in the original Metroid were the Morph Ball, Morph Bombs, and missiles.

As for the map, why is it being designed by the guy that did Fusion's and ZM's map a good thing? Fusion and ZM had shit-tier maps where everything was bunched up close together. Completely changing the map means that it's no longer a remake of Metroid II, it's a completely different game with a similar premise.
>>
File: 1470686168591.jpg (13KB, 500x287px) Image search: [Google]
1470686168591.jpg
13KB, 500x287px
>>382811048
>"he wants to expand the relationship because Samus and the baby"
No.
>>
>>382804509
>we can't even tell if the game is gonna overall harder of easier than any of the previous entries

I remember someone at the Treehouse saying you're going to need to learn how to use the Melee counter properly if you want to survive the later Metroid attacks
>>
>>382809251
Metroid is a struggling franchise that's been on life support since Other M came out, and you'd rather kill the franchise by making the big comeback game inaccessible to newcomers. I'm glad your ideas are confined to /v/ where they don't fucking matter.
>>
>>382811163
You can't be serious?
>>
>>382811450
>it's a completely different game with a similar premise.
That's exactly what they're trying to do. This doesn't render the original Metroid II obselete, it's an alternate take on the story. It's basically what Zero Mission did to the original game.
>>
>>382811667
>This doesn't render the original Metroid II obselete, it's an alternate take on the story. It's basically what Zero Mission did to the original game.
Which is the problem. I constantly see people saying "oh don't play the original Metroid, play Zero Mission instead." That's what's going to happen when Samus Returns comes out. Hell, it's what already happened when AM2R came out.
>>
>>382811625
I'm pulling your leg. I haven't played AM2R so I have no idea why the Chozo built a giant Rockem Sockem Robot tank.
>>
File: 1461269293174.jpg (168KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
1461269293174.jpg
168KB, 1033x679px
>>382811406
Fucking this.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 191x264px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 191x264px
>>382811123
I got your proof right here.

>but anon, it's a different game, which is why he took every single established standard of his best game that he supposedly worked on, and threw every one of them in the garbage, then admitted that he cried at how much he "improved" Super Metroid

>>382811406
>If you truly cared about games not being casualised then you'd realise that Super Metroid was a casualised version of the original Metroid.
Let me ask you this question anon: do I think Super Metroid is perfect? Did I ever imply that in the thread? I love the game, but guess what? Once you learn all its tricks and tips, it becomes casual. It was one of its biggest flaws. Being a 20 year old game, I gave it a pass because of the limitations they had at the time. What I'm asking from them is to learn from their mistakes and stop repeating them. Also, maybe they could outperform a small team of people who remake Metroid 2 for free in their basement? The big N certainly has more money and more developers under their belt than some slav who makes a budget of 5 rubles a day at his dayjob, so is it unfair for me to ask for a higher quality game? If profit is the only thing they care about, then they shouldn't be making Metroid period. They can just pump out another Mario Party and Pokemon title and instantly rake in billions of dollars. When you're making a niche game, you shouldn't be expecting a massive payday, and compromising what made the game good by pandering to the idiot masses who are too stupid to even perform a quick time event without drooling all over their controller. This is infact what gave us Metroid Other M and Federation Force. Nintendo's thought process on both of them were "this is too videogamey, we need a movie for the artistic crowd" and "this singleplayer stuff is too videogamey, we need online leaderboards and achievements and multiplayer for the call of duty audience".
>>
>>382811805
Metroid 2 is a garbage linear game anyway, so I would have said skip it entirely before AM2R came out, Which is still linear, but not complete garbage.
>>
>>382811667
That's what I like about Metroid Zero Mission and Samus Returns along with Halo Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary. These games don't replace the original so if you don't want to play the remakes you don't have to and vise versa. I'm only getting Samus Returns for Metroid 5 but it will never replace Metroid II.
>>
>>382811869
Well at least Samus Returns new bosses will make sense in a Metroid game.
>>
>>382811604
If Metroid is solely dependent on how many people it can pander to, then let it die. I'll be honest, I was perfect content to let the series fade after AM2R came out and took the taste of Other M out of my mouth. Would you wish this same fate upon F-Zero, or Mother, or Starfox? At the least those games didn't end on atrocious trash installments. Sure, Starfox Zero was underwhelming, but at least it was a video game and not a pretentious hollywood movie.
>>
>>382812010
So you don't have proof.
>>
>>382811805
>"oh don't play the original Metroid, play Zero Mission instead."
Those people are idiots though, if you take everything they say as the law then you're an idiot too. The fact is that some people can't tolerate a game that doesn't hold their hand so Samus Returns is a game for them. The original game is still playable via emulation or via the Virtual Console so a 1:1 remake would be utterly pointless.
>>
>>382812217
prove to me that Sakamoto worked on Super Metroid when other M proved that he had no idea on how to make even a basic videogame.
>>
File: sm_credits.png (167KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
sm_credits.png
167KB, 1366x768px
>>382812418
>>
>>382812418
Other M still functions as a video game, even if it is mediocre. Other M is still greater than any game you've ever made, which renders any criticism you have of Sakamoto irrelevant.
>>
>>382812604
>Other M is still greater than any game you've ever made, which renders any criticism you have of Sakamoto irrelevant.
You are incorrect, sir.
>>
>>382812835
>taking credit for a game that other people made
>>
>>382812010
>Once you learn all its tricks and tips, it becomes casual.
That's wrong though. Super Metroid was always casual, even for a first-time player. There's never any real threat to you and the game leads you along a path. Metroid fans were disappointed when it came out because it was so easy and could be beaten over a rental. Hell, the game even found its way into bargain bins because of how disappointingly easy it was.
>>
>>382812835
You didn't make AM2R
>>
File: 1498866128003.jpg (2MB, 1748x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1498866128003.jpg
2MB, 1748x2480px
>if the game isn't difficult it's for casuals
Am I missing something here?
'Cause I thought the whole appeal of Metroid was the setting, the atmosphere, the lore, the sandbox style gameplay.
Not "Wow, this boss has so much HP and does so much damage, what a great game."
>>
>>382812932
>>382812957
Now that's a fast moving goalpost.
>>
>>382813174
Do you even know what moving the goalpost means?
>>
>>382813160
What's the point of Metroid having enemies, hazards, bosses, or anything videogamey, if there isn't a threat of dying or losing progress?

>muh lore and backstory
That's only for cinematic experiences. A video game doesn't need it.
>>
>>382813174
>Other M is still greater than any game you've ever made
>I made AM2R
>No you didn't
>Stop moving the goalposts!

wut
>>
>>382813518
The goalposts are still the same. You simply never reached the goalpost in the first place.
>>
File: 1475376626029.png (78KB, 282x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475376626029.png
78KB, 282x300px
>>382800440
>L is now used to enter free-aim mode rather than aim 45°.
Is aiming at 45° angles while moving still possible, like in Fusion/ZM?
>>
File: 1499122155958.png (775KB, 941x879px) Image search: [Google]
1499122155958.png
775KB, 941x879px
>>382813308
>What's the point of Metroid having enemies, hazards, bosses, or anything videogamey, if there isn't a threat of dying or losing progress?
Well good point, but as long as the enemies do a decent amount of damage and the bosses don't die in 7 Super Missiles what's the problem?
/v/ to praise games that limit your options and force you to sit through about 8 minutes of you exploiting an enemy's pattern while avoiding to get touched because every hit takes away two energy tanks. And I just don't get it.
They don't even ask this of a Hard Mode, they want that to be Normal. Because otherwise it's not HARDCORE enough for them.

>That's only for cinematic experiences.
It's not, plenty of games manage to incorporate these without giving you 40 minutes of cutscenes.

>A video game doesn't need it.
No, but it makes it much more enjoyable when there's more to be found than just a map with some enemies to shoot.
>>
File: run n' shoot.webm (366KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
run n' shoot.webm
366KB, 1280x720px
>>382813908
yes
>>
>>382813714
>>382813518
The point is that, since we're all anonymous, you can't claim that you know things about any one poster. Besides, you would've shitposted no matter what game was posted. The fact that you unironically said that Other M was a great game was bad enough.
>>
File: 1497822994367.jpg (55KB, 736x882px) Image search: [Google]
1497822994367.jpg
55KB, 736x882px
>September SOON
>Prime 4 next year probably

Life isn't so bad bros
>>
>>382814176
>next year
Try 2019.
>>
>>382814092
I literally said Other M was mediocre in my post. You clearly can't read, so why should I believe that you can even make a game?
>>
>>382814092
Greater than =/= great, you fuck.
>>
>>382814212
Delayed to 2020
>>
>>382814092
Following the reply chain and assuming that the person in question is, in fact, one person, that poster was previously talking shit about Samus Returns, and since we know DoctorM64 likes Samus Returns, we can logically assume that that poster is not DoctorM64, and has not created AM2R

Also that's not what moving the goalposts means.
>>
>>382814176
We didn't even see anything from Prime 4, we saw footage for Yoshi and Kirby and those are 2018 games. Prime 4 will be a 2019 game at the earliest and it will probably be delayed.
>>
>>382814042
>Well good point, but as long as the enemies do a decent amount of damage and the bosses don't die in 7 Super Missiles what's the problem?
but that's the issue, Sakamoto wants it that way. Other M was a prime example of every cancer that he gladly enjoyed shoving into the series, from linear corridors, to regenerating health AND ammo, to enemies that could be QTE'd to death, it was a stellar example of how Sakamoto hates videogamey products. And Metroid 2 shows that he has learned nothing with context events that trivialized every single encounter in the treehouse footage we saw, to Aeion Abilities that trivialized the very thought of searching for hidden collectibles, or having to think when fighting an enemy when you can just rapid spam abilities that instakill everything in the game. He hasn't learned a thing.

>/v/ to praise games that limit your options and force you to sit through about 8 minutes of you exploiting an enemy's pattern while avoiding to get touched because every hit takes away two energy tanks. And I just don't get it.
That's an example of an enemy being a bullet sponge. That's not difficulty, it's just tedium. A good difficult fight would be a boss who instakills you in like 4-5 hits, but he has a fair pattern that gives you just enough room to keep on your toes and fight back. None of this "press x to stop all of his attacks and do massive damage" garbage.

>They don't even ask this of a Hard Mode, they want that to be Normal. Because otherwise it's not HARDCORE enough for them.
Because casual filth have ruined the medium. they shouldn't be allowed any leeway.

>It's not, plenty of games manage to incorporate these without giving you 40 minutes of cutscenes.
Then it's on Sakamoto to prove it. He has a poor track record in this capacity, not even accounting for Other M, he ruined Fusion and Zero Mission by forcing dialogue every 5 seconds, or ruining the endgame with trashy fanservice.
>>
>>382814537
You can like something and still criticize it.
>>
>>382814840
Even if you were a developer for AM2R, you can't complain that Samus Returns casualises the original game when AM2R does exactly that.
>>
>>382813308
Name a Metroid game that isn't the original NES Metroid nor any Metroid game with a Hard difficulty (which isn't even available on any game unless you first beat the game on normal) that actually made you dread dying.
>>
>>382814962
>AM2R casualises the original game
I'm convinced the word "casual" has lost all meaning at this point.
>>
>>382815292
If a feature makes the game easier then it's casual. It doesn't really get much simpler than that.
>>
>>382815157
>Name a Metroid game that isn't the original NES Metroid nor any Metroid game with a Hard difficulty (which isn't even available on any game unless you first beat the game on normal) that actually made you dread dying.
Metroid: super Zero Mission.
>>
File: 544.jpg (71KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
544.jpg
71KB, 540x539px
>>382800329
>completely redesigned maps
Why even call it a remake then?

Not like metroid has an issue with reusing items and other aspects
>>
>>382802967
>What is not saving at all
>>
>>382815616
Remake is a catch-all term that refers to faithful 1:1 remakes and games that keep the same basic gameplay and story but radical change other aspects. And it's not like this game has the word "remake" in its title (unlike Another Metroid 2 Remake).
>>
>>382815630
Something AM2R already did with its hell run mode.
>>
>>382815441
Explain to me, then, how the boss fights in AM2R being much harder (you did play it on Hard, right?) than the ones in Metroid II constitutes casualizing the game. All I remember about Metroid II's bosses is that you spammed missiles without even having to wait for an opening. Until you got to the Queen Metroid which challenged you just a tad, every single enemy in Metroid II was pointless and only there to instill some sense of "do this before you can progress". There was no challenge associated with Metroid II whatsoever in what matters most: the actual gameplay.
>>
>>382800329
Because of a certain butthurt faggot I can't help but think any mention of Metroid games now is considered taboo.
>>
File: 1348251752292.png (253KB, 580x760px) Image search: [Google]
1348251752292.png
253KB, 580x760px
>Counter system

>Instead of just giving you an opening for a few hits, it activates a dumbass sequence worthy of a fuckinng QTE

That's gonna get old fast. Just keep the fucking flow of the fight. That's why ZM and especially Fusion had great boss battles.

Why the hell are Japs still giving Mercury Steam any work is beyond me.
>>
>>382816141
Adding to this anon's post, AM2R also added modifiers that let you further bring about challenge in the game, whether it's minor stuff like increasing enemy HP and damage, to major stuff like item spawns, map open-endedness (which encourages speedrunning and sequence breaking) among other things.
>>
File: 1470436514226.jpg (227KB, 1024x1820px) Image search: [Google]
1470436514226.jpg
227KB, 1024x1820px
>>382815805
> and games that keep the same basic gameplay and story but radical change other aspects
Okay but to what extent does it still count?

When the map is different, gameplay has huge changes and also more additions like fast travel it seems more new than remake. Especially when the series shares a lot of mechanics and ideas anyway.

I'd rather they not be bound at all to another game if the original has so little importance.

>And it's not like this game has the word "remake" in its title
But it is meant to be a remake
>>
>>382814745
>He hasn't learned a thing

He's learned that people who aren't good at video games (which is the vast majority of people) quickly lose patience when they feel they're getting nowhere. That's who the Aion abilities are for. They aren't for you. That's why you don't have to use them if you don't want to. With this crutch available to less hardcore audiences, the devs can make a challenging game without worrying too much about whether the players will be able to clear it legit or not. And they usually worry about that a whole goddamn lot. By adding what's basically a "skip" button, you can still have those Mario platformer levels that kick your ass, and puzzles like in Castlevania Lords of Shadow. The former even punishes you slightly by taking away a star from your profile if you skip a level, while the latter rewards you with experience points for solving the puzzle.
>>
File: 1498838779077.gif (537KB, 370x500px) Image search: [Google]
1498838779077.gif
537KB, 370x500px
>>382814745
>Sakamoto sucks dick
Well yes, he sucks a large amount of dicks. But I still think that /v/ is being a bit too radical about the level of difficulty they ask of a Metroid game.

>or having to think when fighting an enemy when you can just rapid spam abilities that instakill everything in the game.
I mean, that's kind of what I've always done in Metroid, I don't think there's a whole lot of thinking involved.
You shoot whatever looks like a weakspot until it dies.

>He hasn't learned a thing.
Sakamoto is a massive prick and incredibly arrogant.

>None of this "press x to stop all of his attacks and do massive damage" garbage.
I'm not familiar with the parry mechanics, but I had hoped you would only be able to do it with certain enemies and not bosses, and if you could that it would only deal enough damage to take care of minor enemies, or at the very least only usable against certain attacks.
If it can't be turned off, then I see the issue. Because not everything is as simple as "Just don't use it."

>Because casual filth have ruined the medium. they shouldn't be allowed any leeway.
That's a little extreme, I'd imagine one of the main reasons we didn't get Metroid games for almost ten years was because they didn't sell well.

>Then it's on Sakamoto to prove it.
What I've learned is that there's absolutely no way of dealing with a bad director other than a real experienced team with the balls to stand up to him.
Unfortunately, I don't think that will be the case with Samus Returns.

>he ruined Fusion and Zero Mission by forcing dialogue every 5 seconds, or ruining the endgame with trashy fanservice.
I know you don't mean he ruined Zero Mission with dialogue, because there was none.
The stealth segment was incredibly short, bonus content, and not even half bad.
I don't understand how you could consider a heavily pixelated Zero Suit Samus "fanservice".
I also don't understand how you could complain about fanservice at the end of a Metroid game.
>>
>>382816567
>I'd rather they not be bound at all to another game if the original has so little importance.
If the game had no importance then they wouldn't remake the game at all. Samus Returns doesn't replace the original game, it's an alternate take. Although I wouldn't expect an avatarfag with reddit spacing to understand.
>>
>>382816898
Not him but.

>posting Samus in a Metroid thread
>avatarfagging
>>
>>382816643
>He's learned that people who aren't good at video games (which is the vast majority of people) quickly lose patience when they feel they're getting nowhere. That's who the Aion abilities are for.
So he's purposely wasting time and money towards casualizing the game for the idiots who have no idea how to play a video game. It's this kind of permissive thinking that tends to butcher games until they're nothing more than lobotomized shadows of their former selves. I don't need to bring up Valve playtesters as an example, do I?

>The former even punishes you slightly by taking away a star from your profile if you skip a level
That means so little that it might as well not exist. When you're bad at a game, you shouldn't be allowed to beat it, or even advance. It's supposed to force you to get good. If you can skip it, what even is the point? Shoot, to speedrun Super Metroid and skip major segments of it, you have to be good with button presses, timing, advanced maneuvers, what have you. Imagine if all you had to do to skip large parts of the game was to press a single button, and a cutscene happened that let you skip Maridia, or Norfair.
>>
>>382817036
>suitless samus waifufag shit
If I can distinguish which posts are his despite him not using a name/trip then it's essentially avatarfagging.
>>
>>382817059
If it means so little, would you have done it? Would you have skipped a level you were having huge trouble with, knowing that it would show on your profile for the rest of the game? Because I wasn't implying that it would have much of an effect on casuals.
>>
>>382816645
>I mean, that's kind of what I've always done in Metroid, I don't think there's a whole lot of thinking involved.
That's something they had the opportunity to fix. Which they aren't. Just the concept of stunlocking an enemy is beyond retarded. Metroid's best fights were with enemies that could not be stunned, and you had to continually fight a monster who wasn't slowing down for you.

>If it can't be turned off, then I see the issue. Because not everything is as simple as "Just don't use it."
This is essentially what I'm saying. Even if I don't use it, the game is obviously designed around it, so avoiding it would probably break the game and make it even easier to play. There goes any semblance of challenge.

>That's a little extreme, I'd imagine one of the main reasons we didn't get Metroid games for almost ten years was because they didn't sell well.
If Metroid exists solely for profit, then perhaps it would be better to not have another installment. Other M and Fed Force are what happens when Nintendo decides "we need to pander to a wider audience."

>I don't understand how you could consider a heavily pixelated Zero Suit Samus "fanservice".
it's essentially turning it into a knockoff Metal gear game with massive amounts of stealth and sneaking, and then making it even more boring because essentially you're forced to follow an extremely linear path with no deviation. That's not Metroid in the slightest.

>I also don't understand how you could complain about fanservice at the end of a Metroid game.
I hate fanservice in Metroid, period. I've hated it ever since its inception. It's been a blight on the series because more and more it's been about sexualizing Samus and turning her info fap fuel. you would think this isn't a big issue, right? Hah, no. It gets worse. Now, because Samus's gender is so prominent, we can't have her acting masculine or not being put in her place as a woman. Now she needs to have "feelings" and "emotions". Yuck.
>>
File: VerticalBlast.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
VerticalBlast.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>382800329
It looks so bright it reminds me of Velocity.

Metroid is dead to me.
>>
>>382817474
If it had no impact on the gameplay itself, I'd have no reason not to use it. Imagine if the penalty for cheating in a source game, for example, was getting red text on your profile, BUT you never actually get banned from playing online. That's this system in a nutshell.
>>
>>382801810
its free why complain
>>
>>382816294
I never encountered these modifiers in the game. Were they in a menu I missed?
>>
File: 20170704_155214.jpg (4MB, 1080x7442px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_155214.jpg
4MB, 1080x7442px
>>382800329
Good shit man, saved for posterity
>>
>>382818217
Well, technically they were part of a fan-update to the remake. You can find it on the r/AM2R board on plebbit, if you can stomach that garbage hole of a website. Currently they're up to 1.2.10. It includes filters to emulate the original look of the game, a hell run mode that disables all save stations, a new game+ that removes the lava barrier that keeps you from exploring (you still need to find the items to progress, but hunting down every single metroid is now something you can take your time with) and there's even a randomizer mode that changes up the map and where/how you find items. I'd say it fills the vision that Doctor M. wanted to do originall.
>>
>>382810723
>>382811045
Death Egg robot from Sonic 2: Chozo Edition
>>
File: 1467251353066.png (108KB, 286x356px) Image search: [Google]
1467251353066.png
108KB, 286x356px
>done by the guy who did Fusion and ZM's maps

That's not a good thing.
>>
>>382818807
But what's wrong anon? Don't you like statues blocking your progress and holding your hand so you don't get lost? What about unskippable cinematic cutscenes where you get told what to do every 5 seconds?You don't want the game being too videogamey, or those yucky tryhards will like it.
>>
File: 1454125305822.jpg (580KB, 1200x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1454125305822.jpg
580KB, 1200x1002px
>>382818807
it isn't a bad thing, it just isn't that good a thing. I doubt this will be a bad game, just one that is very easy to shitpost about with AM2R wars.
>>
>>382818807
It's not a bad thing either, considering Metroid 2s map sucked

Also people complaining about "casualization", you realize this game will still be harder than the old one?
>>
I'm hoping this game does well because I really want another original 2D Metroid.
>>
>>382818553
Ah so it's not ACTUALLY part of AM2R, got it.
>>
File: 1499123526548.jpg (823KB, 1645x2366px) Image search: [Google]
1499123526548.jpg
823KB, 1645x2366px
>>382817585
>Even if I don't use it, the game is obviously designed around it, so avoiding it would probably break the game and make it even easier to play.
You lost me.

>If Metroid exists solely for profit, then perhaps it would be better to not have another installment.
If a game is making no profit, then perhaps there is no point to having another installment.

>Other M and Fed Force are what happens when Nintendo decides "we need to pander to a wider audience."
I'm pretty sure everybody pins Other M on Sakamoto. But what I don't understand is if basically everybody said "Yes, Sakamoto is impossible to work with and is obsessed with cutscenes." then why the hell is he still working on Metroid?
I can understand that it's just one game. But the man single-handedly destroyed the game, and by the looks of things, that really hurt the franchise.

Federation Force however, I don't fully understand.
Maybe Nintendo was just out of touch with the Metroid playerbase? It was definitely released during a period of time where it felt like they were trying something new with their IPs. I really wouldn't be able to tell you.
Maybe it was a genuine attempt at bringing the franchise back, albeit as stupid one.

>it's essentially turning it into a knockoff Metal gear game with massive amounts of stealth and sneaking
There was nothing massive about it, it was a very tiny part of the game. A 10 to 15 minute event in a 5 hour game.

>and then making it even more boring because essentially you're forced to follow an extremely linear path with no deviation.
I found it incredibly tense, Space Pirates took away an entire health tank and you had no way to fend for yourself. All you had was a stun gun.
And because of that, I'm glad it was linear. If it wasn't, the segment would have been a lot longer and a lot more frustrating.

>That's not Metroid in the slightest.
No, it certainly did not add anything to the game. But it didn't take away from it either. At least not for me.
>>
File: 1497917513457.jpg (980KB, 1050x910px) Image search: [Google]
1497917513457.jpg
980KB, 1050x910px
>>382819025
Well that's more of a game design choice than strictly a map one, but I do expect an annoying amount of handholding and "hints". It's been getting worse with each 2D Metroid, not sure why people could think it won't be even more apparent in this one.
>>
>>382819334
>then why the hell is he still working on Metroid?

It's a Japanese thing, and a Nintendo thing. Most franchises have a "steward" who is basically in charge of it. Usually it's the creator but for Metroid it's Sakamoto. Basically it's up to the steward to make new games happen; if they don't want to, it just doesn't. After Other M it's possible they tried to replace him, but nobody wanted to manage Metroid, so he's still the head of the franchise.
>>
>>382817961
It's a system that appeals to a player's sense of pride. The game won't judge the player harshly for taking the easy way through. That's something only you can do. If you'll just jump on those skip/easy mode functions because they exist and the game doesn't punish you, that says more about you than the game imo.

Well whatever, I hope you've enjoyed your 3 hours of attention. I wish you'd channel all this autistic frustration into making your own hardcore Metroid game instead. You're clearly passionate as fuck about Metroid, or what it used to be to you anyways.
>>
>>382809553
>after what they did to AM2R

Politely asked the creator to stop hosting the link after he already completed the game and made it available, didn't press charges or take any money for him? Also, the download link is one of the first results on Google so they didn't do shit.
>>
>>382806015
I just replayed Other M recently, and....I dunno, there is a good skeleton there?
The controls feel nice enough, but would have benefitted from the addition of the nunchuk. The map design is pretty good, the design of young samus is still my favourite of all time. But good god there are so many terrible flaws that bury the few good qualities it has.
>terrible voice acting
>poor translation
>bad story
>bright silly putty characters
>high heels because reasons
>ridley ptsd in the middle of her story despite samus fighting him at least 5 times before AND after this without blinking
>purple glowstick gravity suit
>daddy didn't say I could play with this toy yet
>DADDY DIDN'T SAY I COULD WEAR THE FIREPROOF SUIT YET BECAUSE HE WAS WORRIED I MIGHT HURT SOMEONE WITH IT
>awkward controller to wiimote missile controls
>/THE ERASER/
>literally a post game movie mode so you can skip the only fun parts of the game
>"I gave the wrong salute on purpose during training and the drill sergeant didn't beat me like like his wife when she forgot to cook dinner"
>I will admit, I really enjoyed fighting phantoom in 3d
>not nightmare though, egh
>>
>>382820298
>list that long
>I probably missed quite a few things too
>>
File: 1445219239512.jpg (86KB, 679x960px) Image search: [Google]
1445219239512.jpg
86KB, 679x960px
>>382817585
>>382819334
>we can't have her acting masculine
Define "masculine".

>or not being put in her place as a woman
In the last two games? Yes. If you think about it, that says a lot about what Sakamoto thinks of women.

>Now she needs to have "feelings" and "emotions". Yuck.
She always had them.
Not to the level she did in say Fusion or Other M, but Prime did a good job of showing her feelings without even needing to really vocalize them or making text scroll up the screen like a Star Wars episode.

>>382819856
Well, at least he's not a writer for Samus Returns, so there is that.
Maybe that was the condition of him staying? Producer is still a big role though.
>>
>>382808101
People who have played it have said the game feels fast. The person playing it on the Treehouse stream wasn't exactly amazing at the game so it will probably look a lot smoother when someone else plays it. The only issue I can see is the fact that it's on 3DS (so you're forced to use the 3DS's shitty circlepad).
>>
File: 1476290772911.png (1MB, 808x1289px) Image search: [Google]
1476290772911.png
1MB, 808x1289px
>>382819334
>"Yes, Sakamoto is impossible to work with and is obsessed with cutscenes." then why the hell is he still working on Metroid
Cause that was his vision, none of us got it and don't like it when we did.

Metroid in general has built up to more and more story, be it taking away control for sections as a boss comes in to long sections of Samus monologuing about Adam in Fusion. This was his vision all along, he just accidentally created very minimal and atmospheric games first which is what the fan base really wants. Only the western fans at that, Japan is too stupid for metroid.
>>
>>382819334
>You lost me.
This happens alot in modern games. If you don't use a particular quick time event when they obviously allude to you using it, the boss AI breaks and becomes either repetitive, or he stops attacking you period. And knowing nintendo's sloppiness in recent gens, they would not fix this before release.

>If a game is making no profit, then perhaps there is no point to having another installment.
This is why fan projects exist.

>There was nothing massive about it, it was a very tiny part of the game. A 10 to 15 minute event in a 5 hour game.
It still unnecessarily dragged it to a slow when it didn't need to.

>I found it incredibly tense, Space Pirates took away an entire health tank and you had no way to fend for yourself.
The problem is that theyr'e complete idiots, and will lose you even if they're hot on your tail. It just wasn't challenging in the slightest. It was boring.

>>382819879
>The game won't judge the player harshly for taking the easy way through.
I hate this because it fosters a hugbox mentality. "it's okay if you screwed this up, let me hold your hand and kiss your booboo to make it better." What they should be doing is "you died to that enemy even though I just gave you a health powerup in the previous room? You're losing an hour of progress you filthy casual." Games need to stop coddling the audience.

>>382819967
Nintendo didn't do that out of niceness. They're incompetent idiots who would've DMCA'd it the second they found out about it. If they really did want the fans to enjoy it, why did they ban all discussion of it on any website they had control of? Remember the VGA's? Nintendo threatened to sue if AM2R was put in the "best fan-game" section. They totally care though, right?
>>
>>382809553
The creator of AM2R is personally fine with Samus Returns and encouraged everyone to buy it, plus AM2R is still readily available online. What the fuck are you trying to prove? Who are you trying to appease?
>>
File: metroidamigurumi.jpg (138KB, 1500x375px) Image search: [Google]
metroidamigurumi.jpg
138KB, 1500x375px
>>382800329
Why didn't they make this out of yarn? Real missed opportunity.
>>
>>382820498
>Define "masculine".
Essentially not being a broken bag of crying and feelings. Think "Steven Universe" but then travel 180 degrees in the other direction.

>She always had them.
The difference was that it was subtle in a videogamey manner. We're not idiots, we didn't need to constantly be told that Samus may or may not have had conflicting feelings about her missions. She didn't need to tell us her emotions. Infact, emotions don't belong in a video game. If you want "character development" then you're welcome to read a book.
>>
>>382820657
>They're incompetent idiots who would've DMCA'd it the second they found out about it. If they really did want the fans to enjoy it, why did they ban all discussion of it on any website they had control of? Remember the VGA's? Nintendo threatened to sue if AM2R was put in the "best fan-game" section. They totally care though, right?

Again, you really need to stop being mad for a guy who's completely fine, and even excited with the remake existing and probably understands why just game was taken down.
>>
>>382820657
I didn't say it was nice, I'm saying they didn't do anything to hurt or undermine the creator.
>>
File: 1473666477942.gif (30KB, 610x448px) Image search: [Google]
1473666477942.gif
30KB, 610x448px
>>382820298
>. The map design is pretty good
To bad YOU CAN'T EXPLORE IT TILL THE GAME IS OVER. How progression worked in that game will forever annoy me, even as a more linear game it is just annoying.

Plus back to >>382806015 those problems listed are Sakamoto fault. The gameplay is flawed but not the worst, he didn't make that part though. Everything else including story he had more control over, if that shit was cut out the game would be bearable.
>>
>>382821010
>>382821026
I'm happy that he's been tolerant with Nintendo, don't get me wrong, but I won't have Nintendo force their vision of Metroid on me. If I say something doesn't belong, I'm the customer and therefore I'm right by default. It's my right to complain and call them out when I consider them being greedy pricks.

Don't forget I'm also angry at Nintendo for many other problems, like their recent anti-consumer practices. am I not entitled to the sweat of my criticisms?
>>
>>382821010
>probably understands why just game was taken down

Not only did he understand, he expected it. He said he knew the risks when he was making it and wasn't at all surprised that he was given a copyright strike.
>>
>>382820986
>If you want "character development" then you're welcome to read a book.
You see, the issue with that is that, as far as I know, Metroid only has one manga and, like most Nintendo media, it blows.
>>
>>382821343
You're entitled to your own opinions, but just know that your boycott of the game is something everyone involved with AM2R vocally discouraged, so you're not doing them any favors.
>>
>>382820298
>I dunno, there is a good skeleton there?
This, I would love to see an Other M remake done by a competent director, producer, and writer.
>>
>>382821684
You misunderstand. I don't plan on boycotting Metroid 2. Despite my very first post, I actually am entertaining the thought of buying it. However, my protests against the game aren't because of AM2R. It's because of general issues that I have a problem with, potentially game breaking issues at that.
>>
File: 1497380050341.png (505KB, 2600x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1497380050341.png
505KB, 2600x3000px
>>382821652
I believe there are multiple, none of them very good. Apart from the 4koma, they are 10/10
>>
>>382821939
My mistake, I understand now.
>>
I am so excited for this game I need it now
>>
>>382822121
To further clarify, my initial issue is that I think they're making alot of mistakes that AM2R soundly avoided. It's baffling to me because nintendo is a major conglomerate with billions of dollars in their warchest and thousands of developers under their belt. So their worst games should be able to match the quality of a fangame at least, if not surpass it, yet the "sunken cost" fallacy exists because this isn't always true, and infact is often the opposite.
>>
>>382822438
For what it's worth, all members of the press who got to play the game said it plays fantastically and looks incredibly promising. I feel you though, and we'll just have to wait and see what the final result is like. I personally though think SR looks like it has improved over AM2R in at least one way, and that's that the Metroid fights look much less frustrating and unfun than they were in AM2R.
>>
>OP spends three posts talking about the mechanics
>the rest of the thread is just shitflinging and no-one is talking about the mechanics
>>
>>382822740
The problem is that they now look too easy. Those idiots at the treehouse didn't die nearly enough times in the game, considering thtat they have the intelligence of a valve playtester.

>For what it's worth, all members of the press who got to play the game said it plays fantastically and looks incredibly promising.
Their words mean nothing. They're paid to say that, just like they said with Other M and Fed Force.
>>
why are people talking about AM2R as if it's something more than a shitty rom hack?
>>
>>382822438
I mean that's not necessarily true. If anything fan game should often have the advantage as they have content to work off of already. Not to mention the lack of deadlines and further mod support.

Project M is a much better game than Brawl, but, of course it is since its goal is to pander to fans and it's basically an amalgamation of many different fan projects.

I'm not going to fault Samus Returns for not having modifiers that change the damage an enemy does when that's clearly something you wouldn't find in an official Nintendo game.
>>
>>382823083
Of course nintendo doesn't like it or use such mechanics in their games, because they don't like fans having too much control. Look at the massive disconnect because Lunar Magic and SMBx, and Mario Maker. one is free from copyright restrictions, so you could fight enemies from God of War, with music from Final Fantasy, while playing as Link from Zelda and platforming with mario mechanics. Sure, it didn't adhere to a "cohesive" artstyle, but it was entertaining and free. Compare that to Mario Maker, where everything is safe and sterile and "copyright-friendly."
>>
>>382822927
She died against the Zeta Metroid multiple times during the first stream, and that's only the third stage out of five. Plus Metroid games have been easy since Super Metroid. Generally the difficulty comes from self-imposed challenges (either by limiting your power-ups or playing hard mode) rather than the games actually being difficult.
>>
>>382823531
>"copyright friendly"

Come on. Are you really mad that you aren't able to put other intellectual properties from different companies in an official Mario game?
>>
>>382800329
>Controls are similar to Fusion/Zero Mission with a few changes. L is now used to enter free-aim mode rather than aim 45°.

Free-aiming is cool, but it'd suck if we had to sacrifice 45°-aiming while running for it. I do remember seeing Samus aim at an angle while running though.

Anybody knows how this works? Maybe pressing the L button while running doesn't cause free-aim. Maybe it only works while standing still.

Or do you just tilt the slide pad to the corner?
>>
>>382823767
>Anybody knows how this works? Maybe pressing the L button while running doesn't cause free-aim. Maybe it only works while standing still

That's basically it.
>>
>>382823658
>She died against the Zeta Metroid multiple times during the first stream, and that's only the third stage out of five.
Exactly. Considering how stupid treehouse streamers are, she should've died even more.

>Plus Metroid games have been easy since Super Metroid. Generally the difficulty comes from self-imposed challenges (either by limiting your power-ups or playing hard mode) rather than the games actually being difficult.
This isn't a feature to be emulated. It should be a flaw to be fixed.

>>382823735
I'm angry that I don't have any control over it or a say in it. I can't even put in characters that Nintendo owns, unless they approve of it in their sterile corporate board room.
>>
>Switching between Missiles and Super Missiles is done via the touchscreen rather than by pressing Select.

And with that one small sentence I no longer want to play this game.
>>
>>382823869
Sounds good I think.
>>
>>382824004
Touch screen is way better. Select button is in an awkward fuck position on all 3DS systems.
>>
>>382824004
You ever pressed select on a 3DS?
It's more out of the way than the touch screen, by far.
>>
>>382823979
It's not a flaw if the majority don't consider it a flaw. You ever consider that? That you're a minority and Nintendo stands to be better off ignoring you»
>>
>>382823767
See >>382814062. It will probably be like every game since Super where holding the corner will aim diagonally.
>>
>>382824276
>>382824193
Let me guess, I'm not allowed to change it back to the select button if I want to? Whatever happened to giving the player options?
>>
>>382822936
some people just want something to be mad about
>>
>>382824374
Oh shut the fuck up. You might as well complain that you can't move Samus using the L and R buttons because muh options.
>>
>>382824278
The majority are wrong in this case, since they don't want a fun video game. they just want a movie that plays itself. Note how the treehouse streamers were excited that Metroid 2 was gonna have an "expanded story"? These same exact people praised Metroid: Federation Force AND Metroid: Other M, years after them both being released.
>>
>>382822936
>why are people talking about AM2R as if it's something more than a shitty rom hack?

Shills shilling shills. And you're probably one of the SR shills.
>>
Why are faggots in this thread complaining over the dumbest fucking shit
>>
>>382822927
The Zeta Metroid deals an entire tank of damage with one attack.
>>
>>382823979
>Exactly. Considering how stupid treehouse streamers are, she should've died even more.
You pretend as if she's never played the game before. The fact that she still died despite practicing for these segments multiple times shows that the game is at least somewhat difficult. You can tell she practiced a lot because she literally takes the exact same path and does the exact same things during both streams. She even says that she's practiced this when she was trying to bomb-jump.

>This isn't a feature to be emulated. It should be a flaw to be fixed.
Whether you like it or not, Super Metroid's style is now the series standard. If you don't like it then the series clearly isn't for you anymore.

>>>382823735
>I'm angry that I don't have any control over it or a say in it. I can't even put in characters that Nintendo owns, unless they approve of it in their sterile corporate board room.
Why would you be angry about something you have no control over? Why not make your own game instead of complaining that no-one panders to your specific tastes.
>>
>>382824449
And now it's happened: we're actively arguing against having options, when you just said that we should have more options to casualize the game. What a quirky turn of events.
>>
>>382824906
Go shill you shitty fan hack elsewhere faggot
>>
>>382824803
>>382824898
>You pretend as if she's never played the game before.
That means nothing. These people are idiots who chastised Super metroid for being too hard because she "couldn't make Metroid crawl" not unlike the vast majority of miiverse who had the same problem. Why you continue giving them credit when it isn't due is beyond me.

>Whether you like it or not, Super Metroid's style is now the series standard.
Which means they're refusing to fix and improve the formula, choosing to just remain stagnant out of stubbornness. why should I be excited for this again?

>Why not make your own game instead of complaining that no-one panders to your specific tastes.
That happened with SMBX. I was perfectly happy with that, but then Nintendo decided that freedom is abad thing, so they put out their version for 60 bucks and DMCA'd it.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (86KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
86KB, 384x313px
>>382819025
>Don't you like statues blocking your progress and holding your hand so you don't get lost?

Can't you avoid most of those in Zero Mission anyway?

I literally had a playthrough of ZM a few hours ago and there was like, only one or two times I had to use one of those statues.
>>
File: 1497777437658.jpg (60KB, 567x565px) Image search: [Google]
1497777437658.jpg
60KB, 567x565px
>>382825023
>>
>people mad about mercury steam
>LOS 1 was really fucking good
I don't understand.
>>
>>382809378
Not him and I'm personally not complaining about the game's graphics (I mean I'd prefer 2D sprites but I understand 2.5D is cheaper to make and going 2D would have made the devs less likely to make the game at all) but if older consoles and even older handhelds looked fine, why would the 3DS get a pass?
>>
>>382825282
we are trying to have a Metroid thread here. go take your rom hack discussion elsewhere
>>
>>382825162
>why should I be excited for this again?
You shouldn't. However, you should stop complaining since you're clearly not the target audience for this game. It would be like complaining Star Wars is bad because you don't like sci-fi.
>>
>>382825370

>rom hack
Stop.
>>
>>382825302
Ignorant Primefaggots who don't know that Mercury Steam aren't even developing SR.
>>
I still don't see how it looks like shit. I feel like /v/ instinctively says "it looks like shit" every time a new game is shown.
>>
>>382800329
>>382800440
>>382800529
If there isn't a boss fight on the same fun level as the Flying Torizo in AM2R, I'll be very disappointed.
>>
>>382825479
>Constantly crying in the thread about his shitty Metroid 2 remake hack that no one cares about

Stop.
>>
>>382825473
>you should stop complaining

Why? I'm a fan of Metroid, I have a right to complain.
>>
>>382825675
>I'm a fan of Metroid

Obviously not.
>>
>>382825526
>MercurySteam aren't even developing SR
You can't be this retarded can you? It's obvious they're developing it and are key in design decisions. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. Hose is actually a nice guy and knows what he's doing. He's been a big Metroid fan for years.
I just don't get the hate for MS when they've made good games before. Not to mention LOS series outsold all other Castlevania games combined.
>>
>>382819967
I'm personally skeptical that they waited until the game's release to do it intentionally. They didn't give Prism that luxury, so I think it might be coincidence and it just didn't catch their radar until after its release.
>>
>>382804327
/v/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>382825829
It's bee confirmed numerous times in multiple interviews that Mercury Steam are only handling the programming aspects of the game, with few idea inputs.

All development, level design, controls, music, maps, are being done by Nintendo.
>>
>>382825956
Which would prove people saying that Samus Returns was made as a direct response to AM2R false.
>>
>>382825556
The Torizo was one of the worst boss battles in AM2R. It's as if someone said "HEY REMEMBER THE TORIZO IN SUPER METROID? WE SHOULD DUMP THAT INTO THIS GAME BECAUSE MUH NOSTALGIA! ALSO IT SHOULD HAVE A JETPACK BECAUSE JETPACKS ARE EPIC!". It also sprays bullets that hardly do any damage just to make it look even more epic, it's as if the boss was designed by a 10 year old. Forcing the player to dodge projectiles can be done tastefully, look at the Mother Brain battles in Metroid/Super/ZM. But in AM2R they're not implemented very well.
>>
>>382824004
select button a shit anyway
>>
>>382826126
Yeah, I also don't think it was a direct response. If it was they got it together fast, I really think it was coincidence there.
>>
>>382826117
Did you not watch the treehouse?
>bring on the programming guys because...
>"We've really enjoyed working with mercury steam and love their ideas and game design"
You guys can't be this desperate right?
>>
>>382826167
All boss battles in AM2R were fucking garbage because it was a terribly designed rom hack
>>
>>382825556
>Torizo
>good

That boss was so out of place it wasn't even funny.

>ok sure a nice homage to Super Metroid
>starts flying around on a fucking jetpack, throwing hellbullet projectiles
Alright simmer down
>>
>>382826276
Yes, I did. I also read the multiple interviews which state that Nintendo are developing it. Why are you so reluctant to believe?

Maybe go play your AM2R fan game and calm down.
>>
>>382807963
Pre-3ds fire emblem
Melee
FGC
>>
File: samusreturnscast.png (171KB, 263x565px) Image search: [Google]
samusreturnscast.png
171KB, 263x565px
>>382826276

a lot of the directing, producing and composing is coming from ncl though
>>
>>382827091
>Melee
The smash community in general is pretty terrible. And I don't just mean the competitive players.
>>
>>382800329
>3Ds
Kek. Not interested in shit graphics and small screen. I would have gotten it if it was on Switch, nintendo is really dumb.
>>
>>382827829
He says this, but it'll probably sell better on the 3ds then it would have on a home console.
>>
>>382828023
Switch is a handheld.
>>
>>382828237
nah
>>
>>382828237
Switch is more of a hybrid console imo. A bit of both. This is why the 3DS still has a lot of releases. It's not the successor of the flagship Nintendo handheld
>>
I want to replay Metroid Prime 1. What's the best way these days? Gamecube version? Wii version? Any of the former on Dolphin?
>>
>>382818073
>its free
?
>>
>>382800329
Is this real? Why do this when AM2R exists and it's fucking amazing?
>>
>>382820572
Wish I had a N3DS for this shit. Can't you run and aim at the same time if you use the c-stick thing? Might have to buy a CirclePad Pro for this.

Not happy about having to use the CirclePad for movement though. If I had a 3DS XL and if the game allowed for different button configurations, I'd just play on pad.
>>
>>382829937
Because AM2R is fucking garbage.
>>
>>382830549
I bet your life is hard being such a retard
>>
The last aeoin is slowmo. A revrse shinespark?

Every boss has a hidden massive damage moment not related to the melee mechanic

All upgrades are mandatory
>>
>>382800329
Here's what we know about the game so far:
>Developed by MercurySteam, the studio that destroyed Castlevania
>Runs at 30fps

What more do you need to know? This has a 99% chance of being shit. Buying it because it has the word "Metroid" in the title makes you a drone, just as bad as the people who buy Bioware games.
>>
>>382803870
I would have agreed with you, until I saw Jonathan Blow played Breath of the a Wild and seeing how retarded newcomers to a game are. The only ability that seems to make exploring moot is the scan ability anyways. *I agree that one stupid* But there's nothing wrong with the other new abilities as long as they are fun to use and that gatling gun ability looks fun.
>>
>>382831570
This is legit info btw
>>
What will it take to save Metroid threads from being cancerous garbage when even a new 2D game and Prime announcement couldn't salvage them?
>>
File: samy.jpg (133KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
samy.jpg
133KB, 680x680px
>>382814487
>canceled
>>
>>382831570
so bosses have weak points?
>>
>>382832372
Dunno, universally praised games?
Which I don't think these ones will be...

But even so... There are "prime1 vs super" autists
>>
>>382832372
this is an unusually shit one. they really picked up after e3
>>
>>382832535
Not exactly... More in the line of the Queen battle... Which was the inspiration. The Zeta one was shown at the stream, grappling him.
>>
>>382819062
Why does Samus's metal suit have a belly button
>>
>>382822936
Because some people don't think it's shitty and some people like ROMhacks.
>>
>>382834675
And before someone corrects me I know AM2R isn't a ROMhack, it's its own engine, you get what I meant.
>>
File: Metroid Sprites 2x BG.png (43KB, 1456x537px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Sprites 2x BG.png
43KB, 1456x537px
>>382800440
Plasma Beam more than likely stacks normally.
The third touchscreen button when holding R is more than likely the Power Bombs. You probably won't even have to press the touchscreen button. This is how it worked in Fusion and Zero Mission.
>>
>>382834175
It's cute.
>>
How did Metroid threads go from being so comfy a couple weeks ago to being fucking shit again?
>>
>not allowed to talk about am2r or romhacks anymore in metroid threads
This is ridiculous.
Everyone. Literally everyone was praising the shit out of AM2R when it released last August. And every time someone posts that one SA-X video at least ten people ask where they can get it. There's literally nothing wrong with discussing fanwork if it's good. It doesn't replace the official works, stop acting like your series is under attack.
>>
>>382836242
>not allowed to talk about am2r or romhacks anymore in metroid threads
Nobody's stopping you.

I was thinking about playing through AM2R, I wanted to replay through every Metroid game (that wasn't horribly outdated) but I already messed up and played them completely out of order. It feels like Metroid II is extremely important.
Should I give it a shot even though I'll be playing Samus Returns when the game releases?
>>
>>382836580
Just play the original Metroid II. Use a map if you have to.
>>
File: 1499047070581.gif (3KB, 281x204px) Image search: [Google]
1499047070581.gif
3KB, 281x204px
>>382836580
>Nobody's stopping you.
>>382830549
>>382826472
>>382826341
>>382825638
>>382825370
>>382825023
>>382822936
>>
File: 1456029028125.jpg (224KB, 664x548px) Image search: [Google]
1456029028125.jpg
224KB, 664x548px
>>382837334
They're not stopping you.
>>
>>382834175
give her something to contemplate
>>
File: smile.jpg (45KB, 275x326px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
45KB, 275x326px
>>382837557
I like that picture.
>>
>>382836580
The only real plot in Metroid II is that she kills seemingly all the Metroids and meets THE BABY at the end. I like Metroid II and it's pretty short (I beat it in just over 3 hours playing blind my first time) so there's nothing stopping you from playing it. I haven't played AM2R yet but to my understanding it expands the plot and adds things that aren't canon, so I wouldn't play it until after you've played most Metroid games so you know what is and isn't canon going into it.
>>
>>382837996
It doesn't really expand the plot, but it does add a bunch of non-canon details and bosses.
>>
>>382836242
kinda hard to do talk about it when 99% of am2r mentions are antagonising shit flinging bait
>>
>>382805904
Not because he didnt know but because he was challenging the idea, retard
>>
>>382837996
>I wouldn't play it until after you've played most Metroid games so you know what is and isn't canon going into it.

I would agree with this but not necessarily for the canon but just because AM2R is designed to be a "veteran's Metroid" and it's good to play all of the other 2D ones at least to get a feeling for how 2D Metroid is supposed to be. I would never suggest someone to play it as their first or even second 2D Metroid because it's clearly made with series experts in mind and also doesn't give the best impression of the series as it does contain some pretty out-there stuff that isn't found in Nintendo games.
>>
>>382838641
What makes it a "veteran's Metroid?"
>>
>>382815441
So that logic means ever ever upgrading your equipment in an rpg makes you casual
>>
>>382838736
The difficulty is a little beyond Nintendo's standards and it contains some weird things like two boss fights basically being bullet hells.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.