[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people who unironically think quick travel shouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

>there are people who unironically think quick travel shouldn't be an option
>>
>>382781581
It shouldn't be in games where you travel from base A to base B, since the route in between loses all meaning if you can teleport back to safety whenever you want.
But in open world games it definitely should be available
>>
>>382781894
>It shouldn't be in games where you travel from base A to base B, since the route in between loses all meaning if you can teleport back to safety whenever you want.
You're right, but after you clear base B you should be allowed to freely warp between base A and base B because these types of games usually have you going all across the world, and unless you like to spend half an hour or more meandering against enemies who pose no threat only to have to run back it's better to have it.
>>
>>382781894
>>382782041
I'd like to add that even after you unlock it you would have to go to a carriage or some sort of travel person to spend a small fee for the travel. Not just open your map and click and you're there
>>
>>382781581
It makes games worse 100% of the time. What's the point in having a world if you're just going to teleport around it?

Personally, I think it's okay if it's dressed up like taking a train, or a horse and cart or something. Teleporting to any landmark on your GPS at will is cancer.
>>
OP is a faggot and he knows it. Only casuals use quick travel.
>>
>>382782195
>What's the point in having a world if you're just going to teleport around it?

Because sometimes you just want to get from point A to B. I see no reason why a quick travel system should not be included.
>>
>>382782195

I agree, doing it this way really helps immersion.

The alternative is giving the player personal transportation that is fast enough to traverse long distances.
>>
If DarkSouls had warping from the beginning, to all bonfires, it would have been much worse.
>>
>>382782404

The great thing about the first Dark Souls is that the world is so interconnected, you don't need fast travel (plus it would have been worse as you said).

Inferior world layout in the rest of the series necessitated warping.
>>
>>382782352
Getting from point A to point B is part of it. Plus, you aren't "getting" there at all. You're skipping part of the game because your ADHD ridden brain can't handle a second of down-time.
>>
>>382782579
Bloodborne could have worked like das1 if they wanted.
Like getting a warp ability after Rom.
The only thing they would have to change is how the hunter's dream work, and adding a few connections (like the closed door after Cleric's Beast fight should be open-able. And perhaps adding another quicker route from Cathedral Ward to Iosefka's Clinic.)
>>
>>382782925

I agree, I think this would have only made Bloodborne even more memorable.
>>
>>382782909
Nope. It has nothing do to with ADHD or a short attention span. Imagine this situation:

>fire up open world game
>open up missions tab
>wonder which one you will choose to do
>have one hour to play
>the mission you wanted to do is a 20m walk from where you are

Why wouldn't you use quick travel.
>>
>>382783103
>the mission you wanted to do is a 20m walk from where you are
Then that's poor game design, at least a travel option should exist to make this 20 minutes go to 5.
But really, sometime the trip can become more fun than the quest.
>>
>>382782925
Imagine being grabbed by the sack monsters and sent to Yahar'gul with no way to warp back. It would make that area much more scary than it already is.
>>
>>382782195
The only time it makes it better is for games that are not fun or interesting to traverse, which is like 99% of games with the option to fast travel
>>
>>382781581

The problem is that quick travel is often used as a convenient way to patch over sloppy map or quest design.

A classic problem that leads to fast travel is the prevalence of "fetch quest" side quests that are added to games to pad content. You are given a "get back my stolen whatever" quest from someone and it's on the other side of the map. In that case, if the quest isn't nearby then it sure as fuck needs to be interesting to warrant running across the map, otherwise it turns into an errand you'll do when you get around to it. But "fetch my lost macguffin" isn't interesting, it's cliche to the point of cringe. Then you run into a cave, kill 5 bandits and get the macguffin, and the cave itself was barely worth entering, let alone worthy of running across the map. And the worst part is that you have to now run back to return it and get a paltry reward that you couldn't give a shit about.

That's a laundry list of problems. So you could either devote your team to crafting intelligent and exciting quests that make the travel not seem tedious, or you can just allow them to fast travel so they don't have time to really contemplate how shitty the quests are and begin to complain.

Which sounds easier to do?
>>
>>382782352
>Because sometimes you just want to get from point A to B.

Yes but having that withheld from you can do wonders for how the game functions as an experience. If GTA San Andreas had fast travel from anywhere, the world would seem much smaller and less mysterious, which impacts every moment you play.
>>
>>382782195
This is objectively correct.
>>
>>382784157
>less mysterious

What are you talking about?
>>
>>382784263
There's an entire generation of children intrigued by GTA SA's vast world. That's how you get Bigfoot conspiracies.
>>
>>382781581
I don't mind fast travel at all, I'll start using it in the late game of any Open World thing where moving around inevitably starts becoming repetitive at some point. If there was no fast travel option I would just drop the games at that point.
>>
>>382782195
/thread
>>
>>382781581
just have it be like dragons dogma where fast travelling is scarce
you have to find the crystals and set them up yourself and you have to buy or find "tickets" to fast travel
>>
>>382785282
But that's just bullshit.
>>
>>382781581

I don't like if a game lets me instantly fast travel to places I haven't been, even if it's a major city.

Preferably I'd like fast travel to be unlocked through quests that secure the route. Maybe make it so when you complete most of the quests in an area a carriage unlocks for that route that works as fast travel.
>>
Quick travel isn't the problem. It's developers making worlds with lots of dead space and busy work that it actively encourages uses quick travel.

Breath of the Wild has one of the most generous quick travels ever, but the world was so tightly designed I almost always traveled on foot/by horse/by glider anyway.
>>
>>382782218
>no quick travel on a huge map
>waaaah it's a walking simulator
>waaah it's artificially extending the game

>game has quick travel
>waaah casuals
>waaaah it's ruining the game

Can never win with you fags.
>>
>>382781581
it should be an option and I mean exactly that, an option. You don't have to quick travel if you don't want to but it's there if on the 1/100 chance you're too lazy to run the entire map.
>>
>>382782195
>It makes games worse 100% of the time
Breath of the Wild. If you actually think going from the Gerudo Desert back to anywhere in the center is fun you are an idiot. It's like an hour trip or more by food and with a horse you might half that, might not because the game makes you take the long way around every single time with the horses.
>>
>>382781581
it shouldn't be free

I think the golden mean is the way it was in morrowind where you can only do it for money at a ship or silt strider

being able to initiate a loading screen and blink away at any time really casualized vidya
>>
File: vanguard.jpg (573KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vanguard.jpg
573KB, 1920x1200px
Quick travel is only good if

>Your open world game has fuck all to do/meaningfully explore between any given point A to B
>You can't grind or invest into open air flying mounts/vehicles or high speed water boats

Quick travel is honestly a bad feature in the new Zelda, but only slightly. It should have much more interesting rewards personally. I miss Vanguard Saga of Heroes, shame WoW won the MMORPG war.
>>
>>382787486
>Quick travel is honestly a bad feature in the new Zelda
How? It's the best way to get around and make it so the massive amount of distance you travel doesn't get old. I guarantee you people would kill themselves sooner than do all the Korok seeds without quick travel. Half of the Korok Seeds are up on mountain you would either have to spend two minutes or more climbing every single time, or something you can reach simply by jumping off of a tower you found which you can quick travel to.
>>
>>382785556
how so
its the best system i can think of
>>
>>382787876
You aren't supposed to get all the Korok seeds.
>>
>>382789139
I don't care Nintendo, I 100% games and go for everything. You put in all 900 I'm going for all 900 you assholes.
>>
>>382786054
The real solution which isn't used nearly as much as it should be is a transport network of carts/boats/trains/whatever so you can quickly get between major areas or commonly-taken routes. Removes tedium without breaking immersion.
>>
HUD maps are also cancer
>>
The aim should not be to not have quick travel at all. The aim should be to design game in a way that the user wouldn't want to use quick travel even if he has the option.
>>
>>382789872
Remember Read Dead Redemption and its carriage system? Who the hell waited for the carriage to get wherever you were going to? I bet your ass you just skipped it.
>>
>>382789872

Yeah because there's no tedium at all in watching your character use public transportation. At that point you're enabling fast travel but making the player sit through your notions of "immersion".
>>
>>382789872
That's just fast travel that arbitrary wastes player's time. Nothing comes before gameplay, not even your precious immersion.
>>
>>382790789
Were you ever tested for autism as a child?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (194KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
194KB, 1440x900px
>ITT: stupid people try to convince us that not only should we waste time commuting on real life, we should do it in videogames
>>
>>382790596

>Read
Anyway, RDR is one of the only games where i barely used fast travel, just because it was really fun to ride around. I skipped the carriages because nothing happens but the trains, for some reason i didn't want to.
In GTAIV and V i would always take a cab and skip.
>>
Is fast travel even explained in New Vegas? In other games you see something happen but in that you're just there somehow.
>>
File: 1487637031087.gif (2MB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
1487637031087.gif
2MB, 420x315px
>>382790891

>Wants to watch his character ride trains for 30 seconds every time he needs to go somewhere
>Calls others autistic
>>
>>382783498
its not poor game design if you give them an option to quick travel
>>
File: neat.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
neat.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
>>382791428
>doesn't understand why immersion is important
>calls others autistic
>>
>>382791721
>feels unnecessary commute is immersive

kek
>>
>>382781581
It should be when the open world is empty
>>
The only people that dislike fast travel are those who groomed themselves to think virtual hiking through the same places over and over again is "immersion."
>>
>>382782195
I agree with you, but i think some open world games have quests designed with fast travel in mind. Nothing annoys me more than when i have like 5-6 quests sending me all over the map.
And usually they arent even interesting, only "X was lost there", "Strange artifact there", "enemy camp is there",etc.
>>
Quick travel is a necessity in modern open world games where they are simply too fucking big to travel around in by foot without extreme tedium and too fucking big for the devs to have actually put something interesting in every corner and hand-craft the entire map.

The solution is to make smaller open worlds that can be reasonably filled out with good content to make people actually want to travel in them, and then make fast travel only a thing between major hubs that costs some kind of resource to use.
>>
File: 1479604030921.jpg (56KB, 475x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479604030921.jpg
56KB, 475x360px
>>382792327
some people arnt casual faggits either
>>
>>382781581
There are people on /v/, right now, who believe quick travel wasn't made to hide the fact that the world is empty, and actually think it was made solely as a convenient traversal method for their fetch quests.
>>
What if having to go through the open world is part of the game's design? Bandits trying to rob you, being pulled into events etc.

Quick travel just breaks all the immersion for me.
>>
>>382791432
It most of the time is. Even with fast travel quest should be focused around the area they were given (unless it makes sense contextually) to help build the world and make areas feel more alive
>>
The kind of people who defend fast travel are the same people who never go for walks because "there's no point".
>>
>>382781581
>>there are people who unironically think quick travel shouldn't be an option
And these people are morons. To these people, a mechanic that lets players avoid walking through the same area is blasphemy and unrealistic but carrying a capacity of items three times your weight and healing deadly wounds with a sip of a single potion is A-OK.
>>
>>382792607
>some people arnt casual faggits either
If caring more about conveniece and fun makes me a "casual faggit," then so be it.
>>
quick travel shouldn't be an option if the world was designed in such a way that you must complete quests like
>i didn't hear from my dear son in years and i fear he died in this civil war... will you go back to the town on the other side of the map, then come back to me to tell me if he's still alive? please... my old legs can't make such a journey anymore
*finishes quest*
>oh my dear son... he was masturbating to anime in a cave...? no matter... you've done so much for me and i'm ashamed to ask for more help, but could you do me another favor? remember what i told you about my leg? there's a great alchemist in the town where my son is, ask him to mix something for my leg, i'll reward you well."
*finishes quest*
>ohh my dear child you're back! I can't thank you enough, here's your reward!
[Minor potion of healing] added
[40 gold] added
>leave
>on your way out you see negro entering the house
>you overhear the conversation between the old woman and the negro:
>AYO BITCH YOU GOT DAT LUBRICANT?!
>>
>>382793163
Why do you even play games when you don't want to immerse yourself? Why not just play one of the idle games? You'll have to do even less to "have fun!"
>>
>>382790789
>Nothing comes before gameplay
Why aren't you playing Candy Crush then?
>>
File: 1487460648912.png (131KB, 347x403px) Image search: [Google]
1487460648912.png
131KB, 347x403px
>>382781581
>there are people who think vidya game worlds should be big enough that quick travel is necessary
>>
>>382795526
>Why do you even play games when you don't want to immerse yourself?
That's a pretty silly question.
>>
I can't imagine spending more than a few seconds traveling in Skyrim. Shit was bad.
>>
>>382793000
and for those cases, you need quick travel.
how is it that hard to understand?
Yours is not the only experience that matters in a videogame and no one is forcing you to use it.
>quick travel its an excuse to create a big world with no content.
Bullshit, even without quick travel they would still make a huge empty worlds, they don't have enough resources to hide interesting things EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>382796175
Well then they should include an option upon starting a new game to disable fast travel. "just don't use it lol" isn't an argument.
>>
>>382796175
>and for those cases, you need quick travel.
or you could have transport systems like carriages, silt striders or taxis. They help you get to far away areas, without ruining the short trips that enhance the experience.
>>
People that bitch about quick travel are always super autistic. You can tell because in absolutely every game with quick travel, you don't have to use it. The problem is that these autistic people who hate it realize they are wasting time on the journey from point A to point B, and their autism causes their brains to fly into a spergy meltdown because they have to deal with the cognitive dissonance between using a mechanic they hate and being inefficient as fuck. For this reason I am 100% for quick/fast travel because it causes these autistic sperglords so much asspain and anger.
>>
>>382797329
>you don't have to use it in skyrim
lol
The way the quest were designed you have to use it unless you want to spend 30 minutes walking after every quest area.
>>
What a passive aggressive thread. I feel like i'm on Twitter.
>>
>>382781581
>The journey is the destination
>>
>>382797329
>they have to deal with the cognitive dissonance between using a mechanic they hate and being inefficient as fuck
We wouldn't have to if these games weren't designed with fast travel in mind. BotW has fast travel, but it didn't annoy me because the game was designed around not using it most of the time. Is that too complicated for your tiny mind?
>>
Quick travel is needed if the games world is a bland POS made from a distance, like bethesda games; all the trees rocks and stuff is added using a brush without attention to detail and making the areas big just to make it feel like a "world" when what they actually do is make it feel empty because theres just so little content spread out between some valleys and invisible walls.
Gothic did it better like 2 decades ago.
>>
>>382796971
The only difference between your suggestion and conventional fast travel is that I have to walk and pay for the loading screen instead of simply using the loading screen.
>>
>>382798037
>The way the quest were designed you have to use it unless you want to spend 30 minutes walking after every quest area.

Wow, so you actually admit it? You DON'T have to use it at all, you would just have to spend 30 minutes (GASP!) walking around! So pick one, either spend some time walking or use quick travel, it's 100% up to you! If you hate fast travel as much as you claim, then the little extra bit of walking shouldn't bother you at all, since it's more realistic anyway.

>>382798786
>PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO DO THINGS I DON'T LIKE IN SINGLE PLAYER GAMES!

If you don't like it, don't use it.
>>
>>382798986
>If you don't like it, don't use it.
This is the biggest cop-out argument you people put forward. If the game is optimised for fast travel, not using it makes the game even worse than it is already.
>>
>>382798905
And it's that walk that helps build up the world.
>>
>>382798986
>then the little extra bit of walking shouldn't bother
around 10 minutes of walking is ok, more than that starts to get annoying.
>>
>>382799234
The walk that I have to do every single time to reach a taxi enhances my experience? Then the extra time I have to walk to reach my destination which could be 10+ minutes away? Because that just pisses me off having to spend 2+ minutes hauling ass over to the closest one every time, it's not enhancing my experience. The Morrowind example is the kind that pisses me off because it's just boring and while it's nice there's an in-lore point, they're just loading screens you pay for.
>>
>>382798986
>>PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO DO THINGS I DON'T LIKE IN SINGLE PLAYER GAMES!
If you like teleporting around the map, why not download a mod that lets you teleport to any section of the game? Nothing gets in the way of gameplay!
>>
>>382782195
You could, I don't know, choose not to?
>>
>>382799779

>>382799147
>>
>>382781581
It's the best way to find side content. I agree it should be an option, but I rarely use it, personally. I prefer games with a hardcore mode.
>>
>>382799848
>>382799147
not necessarily true. Even though Skyrim has fast travel not using it is beneficial to your gameplay experience in levelling up certain attributes.
>>
The best part of Fallout 4 was the immersion I felt on Survival Mode, and that definitely included no fast travel.
>>
>>382781581
>Quests require back and forth
Quick travel
>Quests don't require backtracking constantly
No quick travel
>>
>>382799147
>>382799335
So essentially you people think games are too big? Because your tiny ADHD addled brains can't handle walking for more than 30 seconds before the next monster encounter or explosion on the screen? Says a lot more about you than anything, really. Maybe open world games just aren't for you, it seems like you can't handle any sort of freedom given to you and it seems like you can't enjoy video games without pretty sparkles and faeries flying around the screen every 10 seconds.

>>382799620
fast travelling isn't teleportation. The same amount of time passes in the game as it would have if you walked to the location. I assume you never realized this because you're stupid, but I figured it worth pointing out.
>>
File: hatecraft.png (43KB, 288x300px) Image search: [Google]
hatecraft.png
43KB, 288x300px
A strictly limited quick travel would be best.
Having no quick travel is always better than having unrestricted quick travel.
>>
Quick travel should work like it does in FFXV

It should be interruptible up to a certain point of actual game progress and not fully available for places you haven't actually travelled to (aka fuck off carriage apologists)
>>
File: fresheth out of hecks.jpg (123KB, 537x536px) Image search: [Google]
fresheth out of hecks.jpg
123KB, 537x536px
>>382800395
>has an aneurysm when he isn't allowed to get instantly transported to content
>accuses other people of having ADHD
You're a simple man, aren't you.
>>
>>382800454
Why does it need to be limited? Why does it bother you how other choose to play the game? It affects you in LITERALLY no way.

The only argument for limiting fast travel in single player games is that YOU have no self control and use it, but wish you didn't. It's YOU who is the problem, not fast travel itself.

>>382801075
I use it sometimes, other times I walk. I'm not arguing to have it completely removed from game though because I don't give a shit if people use it or not.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.