[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RTS Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 14623678605393.jpg (243KB, 940x588px) Image search: [Google]
14623678605393.jpg
243KB, 940x588px
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-decline-evolution-and-future-of-the-rts/
>>
Heh, the comparison to a destroyed base is cute.
>>
>but it's muh SP instead of MP focus that would make the genre appealing (>>382662476)
Prove it. Personally, I would like an updated Supcom FA, with 4-core support, good pathing and unit control..
>>
>>382778474
>>
Supreme Commander was the best RTS to come out in a long time. It's a shame they killed it by making the sequel casual trash without any of the complexity that made the original entertaining.
>>
Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 master race
Loved the gloomy atmosphere, setting and music of TS and the crazy units of RA2
>>
>>382778474
>Also, RTS games require a significant level of multi-tasking where production, combat, exploration must all be controlled well to achieve victory. Only a subset of the gaming population prefers that level of stress. The games industry is moving toward shorter play sessions and faster decision-to-result cycles. Controlling and focusing on a single avatar, as in a MOBA, is easier to grasp and learn effective tactics as well as allowing fast-paced team multiplayer.

But every single match in an ASSFAGGOTS game takes like forty minutes thirty of which have absolutely nothing happening, you cannot leave even if your team is retarded and everyone is constantly angry at each other. I get that you don't have to worry about economy or anything but people who play Dota hardly even correlate with people who play RTS games.

I'd say that it's not Dota that killed RTS and it's not people becoming retarded, it's the genre becoming too stale and also heavily tilting into micromanagement territory. Babysitting a handful of your units in an APM circlejerk might be fun for chinks or gooks but actual people tend to get annoyed with that.

>>382779284
>good pathing
I got a feeling it's one of the reasons why many """RTS""" games are so small scaled now. It's harder to notice how terrible pathing is if you only control something like 12 units at any given time. WC3 or DoW are a fucking pain to play if you build too many units because everything gets stuck instantly.

Anyway, I would personally love to play an actual strategy game which focuses more on a macro level with extensive tech development and automatization of menial tasks. SupCom or Cossacks are fun and all but that's basically about it. There's completely untouched room for improvement here. Why cut the large scale completely and focus on small skirmishes when you can go the opposite way: automate small engagements and stimulate people to actually strategize?

>>382779474
Dumb phoneposter.
>>
The article got really hopeful at the end.

And these guys also support the idea that the RTS genre just needs to adapt. I still believe it needs new blood, both devs and fans, to succeed again.
>>
>>382779284
I don't know about single player but I do think there's a point to be made about overdesign and overbalance. For example, in comparison to Brood War, SC2 feels very much sterile.

However, I think that's far from the primary reasons for RTS decline. Instead, as far as I can tell, most people who bought and played RTS games during their heyday weren't really in it for the whole "RTS experience" package and instead wanted to command armies (they'd be better served by tactics games such as Total War battles), roleplay as historical sovereigns (they'd be better served by games such as Crusader Kings), construct cities (they'd be better served by city-building games), they would have preferred turn-based format (such as Civ, with Civ V in particular being among the most popular games in Steam), what they actually bought the game for was the custom maps (with good formats now having more polished stand-alone games, and custom map scene isn't exactly the strong point of most modern RTS) and many of the people who liked the physical act of controlling units or the competitive aspect now went for ASSFAGs.

Now, that isn't to say that there aren't any "real" RTS fans, of course they are, but at the peak of their popularity I dare to say those were in the minority, especially as far as the best-selling games (*Craft) are concerned. I don't think the core RTS fanbase has really shrunk and indeed it might have grown, but the rest of the market has wised up to what they actually want from the game, and marketers are better at targeting the games to their actual target audience.

The second reason is stagnation, with *Craft games being best-sellers and consequently very influential (...bought by people who wanted to play Dota, not for the classic RTS gameplay) even though games like Kohan and Supcom, in my opinion, showed a better and more viable direction for the genre to head to.
>>
>>382779474
You fucked up the screencap you stupid fucking nigger kys
>>
>>382781417
Wot.

It was like 5MB.
>>
where my SC:R boys at
>>
>>382783706
Hesitant about it, i don't like the preorder skins and i dunno if they'll fuck up the story. Also i almost finish BW, i'm in the mission to kill the slaved UED overmind.
>>
Total War is the only strategy franchise that still has good games produced for. Sad, but true, although the new Men of War games look promising.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.