[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

arbitrary/redundant mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

ITT: any gameplay features/mechanics in games/games in general that are either arbitrary or redundant.

Ill start:
aiming down-sights. apart from scoped weapons, what is the point? it hinders your movement for better accuracy, so basically exactly what shift-walk does? or standing still? dont get me started on shotguns.
>>
>>382752936
Clearly depends on the shooter you're playing. Unreal Tournament ? You don't need iron sights. Red Orchestra/Arma/Squad style games ? The kind were targets can be very far away ? Iron sights helps to keep your aim steady and focus on the small silhouette and not get distracted by surroundings.
>>
>what is the point? it hinders your movement for better accuracy
Glad you answered your own question but still thought it was important to ask it, like a retard.
>>
Diablo 2 is the king of arbitrary mechanics.

>blade shield
>the added damage seems like spell damage, but it is actually weapon damage
>the weapon damage modifier doesn't apply to the weapon damage added by the spell
>the damage modifier is reduced by half if you are wielding a two-handed weapon (this is never stated anywhere in the game, and the character screen does not hint toward this either)
>this skill only does "cast on attacking", not "cast on striking", even though literally every single other skill that does "cast on attacking" does "cast on striking"
>doesn't do crushing blow or open wounds for no apparent reason, but it does do leeching

>bash
>says it gives added weapon damage
>the added weapon damage doesn't actually give added weapon damage
>the added weapon damage is only accounted for when leeching

>smite
>completely ignores the hit formula, always 100% chance to hit; it is the only weapon damage skill that can do this, even guided arrow only gets to 95%

>dragon talon
>can knockback absolutely anything in the game, even act bosses which are normally immune to knockback
>>
>>382753238
>apart from scoped weapons
yeah i took that into account, while playing rainbow.

>>382753502
which is why i immediately mentioned shift walking, retard.
>>
>>382753575
>yeah i took that into account, while playing rainbow.

Let me clarify; I wasn't talking about scoped weapons which is why I said iron sights. Iron sights, non-scoped weapons that you can still look down the barrel of isn't an arbitrary feature.

You can't hip fire a target 100m+ away in games like Arma reliably enough to warrant the exclusion of iron sights, but at that distance a scope is also overkill and unnecessary, So what would be useful ? Aiming down-sights.
>>
>>382754178
thanks for the clarification. i think the reason its hard top hit targets from far range using hip-fire is because the developers deliberately worsen your aim to account for aiming down sights. i think if they built the game around not including that feature in the first place, that hitting people from afar using hip would still be plausible and -- in my opinion -- more rewarding of a feeling.
>>
File: 1495188627777.png (180KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
1495188627777.png
180KB, 500x405px
>Grimoire stones from Etrian Odyssey Untold

On paper they sound good but it's so clunky and annoying to work with. In Untold 2, I heard they fixed it up but I haven't played it yet.
>>
File: 1416818363990.gif (87KB, 209x172px) Image search: [Google]
1416818363990.gif
87KB, 209x172px
>the Soulsborne boss run
Why is this a fucking thing?
What is the point of making the player fight through enemies they have already beaten just to take another crack at learning how the boss works? Bosses have unique movesets so fighting through trash mobs doesn't even help you git gud for the boss, it's just pointless tedium.
>>
>>382757658
I speedrun the games. completing the game in the shortest time while dispatching of bosses easily is -- simply put it -- fun. when u run the games, i dont kill mobs, i only head straight for the bosses; they supply sufficient enough xp to complete the game. is just challenging and fun.
>>
>>382757658
just find the shortcut
>>
everyone in this thread is fucking retarded
>>
File: dio pepsi.gif (803KB, 480x291px) Image search: [Google]
dio pepsi.gif
803KB, 480x291px
>>382752936
>>
File: jerry-done.gif (613KB, 295x221px) Image search: [Google]
jerry-done.gif
613KB, 295x221px
>>382759473
considering ur in 4chan, thats a pretty REDUNDANT claim!
>>
>>382752936
the concept of 'lives' / game over screens

just spare me the minute of going back to the main menu and put me back in. xenoblade chronicles did this right
>>
>>382760170
literally mario.
>>
>>382756568
Four... bosses... in a row... thank god for Rangada
>>
>>382752936
>or redundant
Because everyone needs to play the exact same way as you?

Where you say redundant I say variety
>>
>>382752936
Glory kills in doom4
>>
>>382761150
not quite sure what you are trying to say. yes, adding the ability to aim downsights does add variety, but its shallow and redundant. its add a layer where done needs to exist. time making that arbitrary and redundant mechanic could have been used to make something more purposeful.

hope i clarified ur confusion; i didnt quite get what u were saying.
>>
>>382761646
i would say impact compensation.
>>
>>382752936
Spotted a CSGO baby.
>>
>>382762078
op here: i hate csgo.
>>
>>382762268
fuck you I'm the OP and I have 2304 hours in CSGO, all thoroughly enjoyed
>>
>>382762523
ur ruining my cover.
>>
>Sprint button
I don't really understand why these became so popular. Especially in FPS games where sprinting disables shooting.
Analogue controls let you sneak, walk and run with just one input method, leaving your thumb or whatever finger you'd use to sprint open for more important things like attacking, aiming etc.
>>
>>382763215
agreed but it also depends on the game. some games require more precision, so leaving the sprint as a dedicated run button would be more better in avoiding fuck ups and is more comfortable. games like breath of the wild, where you have a dedicated sneak button, kinda makes the point of the dedicated run button pointless... oh yeah, the stamina bar thats why they dont make u constantly sprint. which again, is another mechanic that is properly utilised in games.
>>
The fucking hidden chapters in Platinum games.
I'd enjoy their games a billion times more if they didn't literally waste your time with this bullshit.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.