[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dawn of War 3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: dawn of war 3.jpg (7KB, 366x138px) Image search: [Google]
dawn of war 3.jpg
7KB, 366x138px
What's the verdict on this game? It doesn't seem very popular yet to me it looks like it tries to blend the first and the 2nd game so shouldn't that be the ideal? Why do people seem to dislike it?
>>
I didn't know it came out, but before release it was looking ugly and blending 2 into 1 is just gonna make 1 worse. I just want traditional RTS.
>>
>>382751429
Because it doesn't know if it wants to appeal to Moba players, RTS or the fans of the previous series. It's a game targeting nobody and the Steam score is well deserved.
>>
>>382751570
>blending 2 into 1 is just gonna make 1 worse
why though? Wouldn't the added utility and tactical options of 2 add to the rather simple micro of 1?
>>382751429
Can you elaborate on the moba thing? How is it trying to appeal to that crowd?
>>
>>382752646
On paper, it might have worked. The problem is that Relic didn't actually incorporate any of the improvements made in DoW2 (or Company of Heroes, for that matter) into DoW3.

It's as stripped down as you could possibly imagine; bland, milquetoast, and so forth. In trying to appease the fans of both Dawn of War and its sequel, relic managed to create a game that satisfies nobody. Base building and larger armies, it seems, a solid or engaging RTS does not make.

I'm beginning to suspect that Relic is incapable of making sequels,
as those succeeding Homewold, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes all pale in comparison to their forebears.
>>
>>382751429

Absolute dogshit. They fucked their old playerbase and fucked the story for 40k fans. It appeals to no one.
>>
>>382751429
Its dead. The playerbase has had such a dramatic drop Relic arnt even working on the DLC race teased at the end of the campaign. Instead they are frantically trying to save it with Annihilation mode (which should have been in the base game) and fixes. Its not going to work though and we probably wont ever get another DoW game let alone one that is good.
>>
File: dawn of war.png (3MB, 1624x2423px) Image search: [Google]
dawn of war.png
3MB, 1624x2423px
>>382751429
>>
>>382751429
It's meh.

It's a better than average rts, but it doesn't really fit the standard of a Dawn of War game.

Both 1 and 2 have a myriad of mechanics that make them really fun and dynamic and kinetic rts'es. Lots of unit upgrades, interactions, and systems (like armors, commanders, and vehicle turn rates and speeds).

Both were also really good at delivering over the top dialogue (any character from 2, and certain ones from 1). They also told decent 40k stories and Chaos Rising had the best character interaction of the 40k games if you did the Avitus, Tarkus, or Orion betrayal.

Dawn of War 3 has unfortunately little of this. It's still an average rts with decent mechanics, fun can be had. But the melee system is less spectacular. The upgrades are trimmed down while in combat, being restrained to menus before a battle. The general feel is also less over the top with a soundtrack that lacks umph and has like one good track (the atmospheric one from the trailer that plays all the damn time). It lacks that soul I associate with Dawn of War.

Maybe Relic will do better. Company of Heroes 2 is an excellent rts both in single player and multiplayer, so I wouldn't say all talent left the studio.

I will say the single player in DoW3 is a disaster. Like the story has never been great but the elements are bland beyond the still art and slideshow effects (I like 'em). The structure of the singleplayer is just awful though. Too many tutorial missions. Not enough of either the character interaction and unique objectives of DoW 1- SS or the unique rpg mechanics of DoW2-Retribution. Relic has a working formula for singleplayer that they just like forgot.

The first orc mission for example is just bad. 30 minutes of guarding a gun for one snicker-worthy joke is not fun. And it doesn't get much better from there.

An expansion to DoW3 might be a little unlikely, and even though it's still a decent game, it's in an unpopular genre where decent games are easy to find.
>>
>>382755116
Now we just have to wait for SEGA to step in and fix the shit show like it did with Creative Assembly.
>>
>>382751429
It has half a game worth of content and they're still asking full price for this. Also the absolutely everything about the game is flawed in some way. I'm most annoyed about the shitty voice acting as that had always been a staple of the series.The state it's in, this game is worth maybe 20 bucks.
>>
>>382755621
I would say they'd have to do some 180s on their ideas for where they want to take the game, which puts them in a worse spot than what I'd say CA was in when they released Rome 2.

Ultimately you can't find an active studio making games that really match what TW brings. In fact there's really no game series out there that gives the same experience as TW.

DoW is a 40k rts, but it's still an rts. It stood out from the pack originally, but 3 is kinda like the rts I would expect to be made by a B studio trying to ape SC2's success, which Relic never really was.

That and rts'es are heading for extinction at the the rate they're going. Only thing that will survive are rts-inspired genre like Total War.
>>
>>382751429

It's deader than my sex life
>>
>>382751429
Currently has less players than Soulstorm on steam
>>
>>382756483
Come on, you at least masturbate.

That's got to be more alive than DoW3.
>>
>>382753252
Relic is incapable of making sequels but are capable of making xpansions and DLCs, which is why:

DoW2>DoW1
CoH2>>>>CoH1

DoW3 will get the same treatment.The Annihilation update is already a right path for Relic to unfuck their mistakes.
>>
Relic carved out a niche with dow 1 and 2 but they became dissatisfied with that niche and so changed the game way too much from what the fans liked, yet not enough to attract the moba players they wanted from Korean and China. They are in a limbo of shit where almost nobody likes it.

Multiplayer is dead as fuck, so don't get it if that's your intention.

The single player campaign is trash, cheaply made cut scenes, constant swapping between factions with a boring story and just boring gameplay. I could talk about the SJW pandering with the mary sue female but really, the game is shit anyway without worrying about the politics of the developer.

The game also has very, very little content for a $60 product. It's cheaply made, and it shows. They removed a ton of stuff to sell back as dlc it looks like, including game mods, races and lots of other stuff.

If you buy this game for more than $15 you're getting ripped off.

Watch a let's play on youtube, you'll see how bad it is and also it will remove the slight yearning you might have to buy it due to "muh warhammer"
>>
>>382751429
annihilation mode is fun
power core mode is autism
Orkz best race.
Wait for a sale.
>>
>>382751429
>Dawn of War 1&2
Great campaigns, lots of singleplayer content
>DoW3
"Muh esports", fuck campagin t. Devs

Gee its a wonder why it failed
>>
File: wew.jpg (39KB, 732x192px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
39KB, 732x192px
ITT oh right this came out
>>
The campaign is honestly still better than many of the novels. Could have been much better.
Necrons fucking when relic, i know you jews are reading this.
>>
File: mHM3DMk.gif (2MB, 332x215px) Image search: [Google]
mHM3DMk.gif
2MB, 332x215px
>>382760286
>singleplayer
>>
>>382760737
Disregard this, copypasted the wrong line. Here
>>CoH2>>>>CoH1
>>
File: sci_engineering.png (10KB, 806x377px) Image search: [Google]
sci_engineering.png
10KB, 806x377px
>>382760286
>"Muh esports"
>doesn't have leaderboards on launch
>doesn't have observer system on launch
>replays were glitchy on launch
What were they thinking?
>>
File: 74b.jpg (48KB, 680x649px) Image search: [Google]
74b.jpg
48KB, 680x649px
>>382760938
>DoW2>DoW1
>>
When I found out that the game's 1v1 mode was some linear push back and forth shit I dropped the game entirely. I didn't like that in DoW2 and I can't imagine liking it this time around.
>>
I bought every Dawn of War game and all the DLC they released.

I had 3 on my wishlist from the moment it was announced, the trailer had me worried but I still bought it day 1.

I refunded in just over an hour, it's trash.
>>
>>382751429
Only changing the core mechanics and making an expansion with more factions will save it.
>>
File: 1428269836186.jpg (118KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1428269836186.jpg
118KB, 640x480px
>>382760517
>The campaign is honestly still better than many of the novels.
>Half the game takes place on a tomb world
>final boss is a demon of Khorne
I am so fucking glad I didn't buy this shit game. I'm sick and tired of demons of Khorne final bosses.

>Necrons fucking when relic, i know you jews are reading this.
They stopped working on them to fix the billion issues that the game had. They didn't seem to know that their game was already dead no matter what they did. The game was doomed on release. This is not a state they could've successfully released this in.
This game should've stayed in development for at the very least half a year.
And that still wouldn't have fixed the subpar art style and the shitty voice acting.
>>
>>382761568
The eldar and ork voices are pretty great.
Marine voices are retarded
how did we go from "FOR THE EMPEROR" to barely talking loud enough to hear.
>>
It's not a particularly good game but it gets way more hatred than it deserves, most of it uninformed. Vanilla DoW2 had only 3 factions at launch too, hero units have always been in the series and I think they did a very good job with the Orks.
>>
>>382754762
got some sauce on that?
>>
>see this thread
>think i could at least pirate this for the campaign
>see people trashing the campaign
bullet dodged
>>
Am I the only one to find the art direction to be very bad?

WH40K is all about swag units and the cartoony artstyle of DoW3 is terrible
>>
>>382761348
>I refunded in just over an hour, it's trash.
Shit I just remembered the same shit in numerous sites with both DoW2 and CoH2. Relic just can't do stable releases for shit.
>>
>>382754957
>hating Dark Crusade
I will never understand this.
>>
>>382762713
DoW1: Vanilla
Classic squad based RTS game utilizing cover with a heavy focus on map control, agression and micromanagment. A solid game, had some balance problems and hickups along the way but most of it got ironed out throught the games lifespan.

Winter Assault
Released in a very poor rushed out state, game was clearly unfinished, was extremly buggy with units shooting in melee and various other game breaking glitches. Not bad when Relic got round to fixing it though.

Dark Crusade
HORRIBLE game, some of the worst balance in any RTS game to date, random changes for no rhyme or reason, extremly buggy, was absolutley hated by the community, fire on the move bug crippled the game and online was plagued with connection problems that would drop people from games mid match and rampant hacking. Relic promised a patch was coming but it never happened.

Soulstorm
Fixed many of the broblems with DC, saved the DoW1 community which was on its deathbed after the mess that was DC, had a few minor problems on launch but not as bad as WA or DC and they were patched out with updates, best balance out of all the DoW games. Still has an active community that plays the game regularly online stood the test of time, great game.
>>
>>382761862
>YOU'VE GOT YOUR SHOOTA BOYZ
>no fights right now, but we'll get something going boss

why are orks so based
>>
>>382761934
Relic forums. Relic basically said that working on the DLC would use up most of their resources. For now they are more worried on trying to retain players and keep the game alive.
>>
>>382756783
Thats why its deader i think
>>
>>382762874
Not him but source?
>>
>>382763107
Is this American reading comprehension at work?
>>
>>382754957
This guy is one of those incompetent halfwits who needs handholding and a game that plays itself. He calls the games he likes, "comfy".
>>
>>382763218
Is this the 3rd world idea of a citation? You need to actually cite the official words of a Relic employee working on the game to confirm your shit. Your post doesn't have any proper source in it. I find it hard to believe a single DLC would use up most of their resources when they literally have 0 problem doing that shit in DoW2 and CoH2.
>>
>>382763531
Go back to your mario threads you casual retard
>>
>>382763615
I dont have a link to the thread, Just go on their forums and search around.
Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncbYoTF3qE 8:30 mark Arch quotes the Relic reply.
>>
>>382763904
>Unironically posting an arch video

That man is a subhuman retard who doesn't even sources his claim. Furthermore, his own video doesn't even state close to what your post implies, Relic doesn't even claim that they're not working on the DLC, it's just that they have to prioritize unfucking their games with updates and fixes(like they always do) than the inevitable DLC.
>>
>>382751429
it's boring. And I say that as massive 40k fan that plays tabletop, and beat DoWIII on hard mode and unlocked a few heroes to max level. It just has nothing fun to keep it alive after the campaign.
>>
>>382755116
>>382762847
>>382764472
I agree with pretty much all of this (especially arch being subhuman)

In its current state you don't really want to pay for this game. Multiplayer is largely dead, the campaign is dull and rather poorly paced. But most of the complaints aimed at it are from campaign only nerds who cant git gud or salty fucks who haven't even played the game and jumped on the " its a moba" train. yes, initially the visuals look a bit wrong and the space marines sound a bit flat. But you adjust and realize it isn't so bad. Orks are great all around.

I look on this game favourably because i think the core gamefeel is solid. there's tons of options in playstyle with each faction and it has good potential for a mp rts if they balance it right. IF it gets extra factions it'll be the best DoW game. I'm just hoping relic has the balls to stick it out and make that a reality.

There's just too many salty fucks out there who want everything that wasn't tailor made for them to fail.
>>
File: 1459370380840.png (74KB, 432x293px) Image search: [Google]
1459370380840.png
74KB, 432x293px
>>382761015
>>382760737
2 is just all around better
If you prefer to fight AI waves though, 1 is better for compstomps.
>>
>>382764472
my problem with Arch is that he whines about fucking anything and everything

after hearing him talk about it, it confuses my why he has a warhammer channel because it frankly sounds like he hates 90% of the content
>>
>>382765862
>whines about fucking anything and everything
Sounds like /v/ alright
>>
>>382765807
Or maybe, just maybe, the game doesn't appeal to the people who liked either 1 or 2?
>>
>>382765862
He's got tortanic syndrome, too much of a cynic. anything that's released and costs money he wants to shit on. He's anticipating the total warhammer devs to fuck everything up for 2 and gleefully making arguments against things that have no chance of happening. I'm really surprised he has a following at all because he's the dirtiest sperg out. I don't think you can blame warhammer fans for giving him views because i think he attracts all the retards that can't even read wikis or novels as he just summarises wikis anyway. Fuck him.
>>
>>382753252
I don't think anyone who worked on Homeworld is even there anymore.
>>
>>382766230
You complain about autism but this post was pretty autistic itself
>>
>>382751429
About as dead as Battleborn.
>>
Multiplayer is spamming units and hero skills

Singleplayer is one big tutorial

Literally no future

The only thing that would me go back would be a rebalance to make normal units less like wet tissue and heros less effective
>>
File: 1309846025253.jpg (49KB, 150x200px) Image search: [Google]
1309846025253.jpg
49KB, 150x200px
It has around 1200-500 people online.

Company of Heroes, a 10 year old game, has 2700-1200

Biggest flop of the year, and a stain on the Dawn of War franchise.
>>
>>382761862
>Vanilla DoW2 only had 3 factions

Are you retarded?

It launched with Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, and Tyranids.
>>
>>382751429
I put a few hundreds hourse into DoW II and the expansions.
If you liked them, don't buy DoW III.
It doesn't have that "Fuck yeah, my team of dudes" feeling in campaign, because it keeps throwing you between the races instead of letting you follow one you like.

Also the heroes feel too gimmicky. I can't throw them at an enemy with the support of their squad.
The game relies on you spamming their abilities at every cooldown.
>>
>>382767008
I always forget about the Eldar for some reason, my bad.
>>
>>382767039
They were literally at the opening cg
>>
>>382751429
They blended the first and second game yet they took the wrong parts from each of them.

They've basically removed tactics completely, fighting is all just a big moshpit because regular units are worthless, the only characters that mean anything are your heroes.

They had the great cover system from CoH in DoW2, but they completely scrapped it and replaced it with "lol magic space tech shields" that can be broken and whoops, now there's no cover on the map at all. All units do almost no damage, even against the things they're supposed to be effective against so in comparison to heroes and their abilities they're just fluff.

The artstyle is complete shit. looks terrible, why are they making the games uglier? The voiceacting is also underwhelming compared to the earlier games.

fuck, I was so disappointed and I'm not even a hardcore fan.
>>
>>382767339
I might be retarded
>>
>>382767530
>Regular units are worthless
This is the sort of comment that the "muh moba" shitposters that don't play games make. Regular units are very important. Ork Trukks, Nobs, Assault Marines and fucking every piece of Eldar bullshit put in work when I played the game.
>>
>>382768201
Oh I'm sorry, 95% of the units are completely worthless, happy?
>>
>DoW 1 with all expacs
1 damage type (with varying degrees of armor penetration and accuracy for each weapon), 15 armor types
>DoW 2 with all expacs
33 damage types, 9 armor types
>DoW 3
3 damage types, 2 armor types

casualized shit
>>
>>382768730
The different armor and damage types are pretty instrumental for getting good balance right for Elite Mod. I can't believe how far DoW3 fell
>>
>>382762818
What exactly was fire on the move bug?
>>
>>382768316
>95% of the units
Bullshit, I couldn't destroy armies worth shit with Solaria alone.
>>
>>382768730
>33 damage types, 9 armor types
I always knew Relic hide bullshit hidden stats in their game but is that the true number of DoW2? Why do they do this?
>>
>>382771372
Probably because they can't balance a game for shit unless they've got a tuning fork on every single interaction.

Maybe that's why that game is so boring to me. Everything is so average against everything except what it's meant to counter.
>>
File: NO.jpg (30KB, 409x189px) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
30KB, 409x189px
>>382765859
>2 is just all around better
>>
>>382768730
>>DoW 1 with all expacs
>1 damage type
Literally false
>>
>>382771893
So how many are they?
>>
>>382771893
I guess I was a bit misleading. It would be more accurate to say that each weapon in Dawn of War 1 has unique damage values against each armor type
>>
>>382771612
>>382771372
And people say /v/ isn't filled with casuals
>>
>>382772815
Wut? I was just asking if those numbers of damage types were true.
>>
>>382751429
I hear how everyone is saying that the disparity between regular units and elites in DoW3 is too big, but wasn't this already the case with DoW2?
>>
>>382773920
Not really.

In the beginning of the game, commanders are slightly stronger than a standard T1 squad in combat. As you give them wargear, their usefulness greatly increases, but rarely will they be able to compete with T3 units.
>>
>>382760938
Coh2 is only better for skinheads with the shit balance that game has.
>>
>>382773920
>wasn't this already the case with DoW2?
No. None tank heros could be handled easily with two squads, some even just one depending on the unit. It was only after you bought wargear, to increase stats or give abilities that they became more of a danger. They only became truly unstoppable when you used them right and they had leveled up a few times.
>>
>>382774594
Wut? I thought the bitching of the season was that Soviets were OP. What happened?
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.