[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people say that Unreal Engine 4 is a good engine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: saythelineunrealengine.png (1020KB, 395x650px) Image search: [Google]
saythelineunrealengine.png
1020KB, 395x650px
Why do people say that Unreal Engine 4 is a good engine?
>>
File: cd2.jpg (13KB, 261x199px) Image search: [Google]
cd2.jpg
13KB, 261x199px
because
>unity
>>
>>382729118
I'm confused, isnt this just a problem with the mesh UVs and not the engine?
>>
File: Citiesskylines.jpg (15KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Citiesskylines.jpg
15KB, 300x168px
>>382729263
Yes, surely no good games were made in unity...
>>
>>382729592
Most engines don't require 100% perfect UV mapping. Unreal Engine will break down if there's 1 small problem.
>>
>>382729648
That game is pretty shit.

Meanwhile, Tekken 7 was made in UE4, and Dragon Ball FighterZ is being made in UE4.

>>382729753
>Not having 100% perfect UV mapping

What kind of fucking scrub gamedev are you?
>>
>>382729918
>What kind of fucking scrub gamedev are you?
not a texturer or a modeller
>>
>>382729753
Doesn't lightmaps require that sort of thing or else you'd get bleeding?
>>
>>382730030
Not necessarily I know Unity is fine with overlapping UV's.
>>
>>382729973
Which is why you have messed up UV maps.

UE4 is trying to save you and make you a better gamedev, but you aren't taking its advice.
>>
>>382730406
I'm too fucking lazy to make UV's so I get my modeller to do it for me and he's pretty shit at it. He has autism as well and spergs out if given too much work.
>>
>>382730496
>Too lazy to make UVs
>Has a "shitty modeller"

Anon, you might as well switch to just making 2D sprite based games.

Shit is a lot less of a hassle.

Though if you do do that, then I actually recommend changing to a different engine, like Godot or Game Maker.
>>
>>382730161
Might be an optimization thing. Don't have to calculate a second set of UVs and pass them to the GPU when rendering. Could help in large levels with complex geometry.

Although I know that UE4 uses it's light maps for GI and I haven't read up on that yet so I don't know it it's a limitation of that.
>>
>>382729118
>Using someone else's engine
Let's have a laugh at anyone who does this
>>
>>382729753
Oh no i fucked up in the asset production pipeline, SURELY its the tools fault! Thats like blaming the Philips screwdriver for not being able to screw a Robertson screw.

FYI: UE4 has auto UV lightmap generation (not completely perfect but assuming your mesh is not a dense organic model (aka: human, animal, etc), the autoUV is "good enough" for testing but you should always make your own UV for lightmaps.
>>
>>382730161
Unity is NOT FINE with bleeding as well. If your UV's look like it went through a blender, you will see parts of your model with random ass lighting artifacts as well. No engine on earth is SUDDENLY able to read broken UV's through wizard magic or whatever shit you pull out of your ass.
>>
>>382731017
If you want to make a game, you use an engine.

If you want to never release a game, you make a game engine.

Unless you have big bucks and years of free time, making a game engine is almost always a bad idea.
>>
>>382731017
>making your engine
Let's have a laugh at the guy that wastes all his time reinventing the wheel which could be better spent actually designing the game around the quirks of some prebuilt engine and releasing it within a reasonable timeframe (within 3 years).
>>
>>382731782
Literally takes less than a week to set up a decent 3D engine to build a game on top of with the added benefit of not having a significant amount of bloat.
>>
>>382732054
Let's see your 3D engine (and game).
>>
>>382732896
I don't do games, I do tools. Most recently I made a voxel editor for easily making mods for Trove. I'd post screenshots if I wasnt a filthy phone poster
>>
>>382733521
Oh, so you don't have a game and you think you have any say on how games should be developed.
Fuck off kiddo.
>>
>>382733521
>I don't do games
>Is in a gamedev thread

Get the fuck out.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.