[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what does /v/ think of this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 11

File: fe_echoes.jpg (818KB, 2560x1442px) Image search: [Google]
fe_echoes.jpg
818KB, 2560x1442px
Now that the dust has settled, what does /v/ think of this game?
>>
>>382712689
It's shit
>>
File: Fire Emblem USvsJap dub.jpg (243KB, 820x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Fire Emblem USvsJap dub.jpg
243KB, 820x1152px
>>382713395

FPBP irredeemable shit. I played the original on an emulator some years back. It's just as bad as ever. Oldfags can eat a bucket of dicks. Last game on the 3DS wasted on this garbage remake.
>>
File: 591055188054a.gif (20KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
591055188054a.gif
20KB, 320x288px
>>382712689
i want conquest gameplay, with echoes artstyle, opera music and voice acting.
>>
I hated Waifu Emblem, is this like classic FE in terms of feel?
>>
>>382712689
Loved it. Was a breath of fresh air after awakening and Fates. Gettin real tired of my units and marriages.
>>
>>382713701
yes
>>
I loved it in every way besides the map design and monster encounters. I hope things like special skills that cost HP, unit mourning, the artist, dialogue writers, and voice directors return in future games. A FE with the production value of Echoes but the core gameplay design of RD or Conquest would have been toppest tier. As is, it was still a lovely experience but not one I'm keen on replaying.
>>
>>382712689
Its alright. It has better story than Fates and Awakening, the game's progression feels more natural and the voice acting and artwork are great. No complaints for this.

Unfortunatly though is that this game is too consistent with Gaiden's notoriously simplistic level designs, lack of mission variety(almost every mission in the game is "Rout the Enemy"), lack of weapon triangle, and lack of equipable weapons makes it less tactical and more of a standard SRPG where mercenaries(thanks to a technical loophole with the Dreadfighter job class), can fully maximize there stats.

Another serious problem is the lack of supports variety. It doesn't have to be like Awakenings/Fates. It doesn't have to be a ship-fest. They could had had more supports between the characters like the GBA Fire Emblem games. Take Sacred Stones for example, the game had multiple supports even for minor characters(typically 3-4 at max except for lords/mcs). You also had the option of having Epiram and Erika with 3 romantic candidates or with none at all. Meanwhile Alm and Celica's who "muh childhood relationship" feels cliche and forced, I'd rather have some freedom with how they turn out to be rather than be forced to see all the characters ending end up just like that. Saber's ending and Dealthea's were some of the most disappointing I've seen, where they settle in and just marry off to a complete stranger without any context put to it.

Outside of romance, the lack of support variety also makes the characters less appealing than they should be. Silque, Saber, Lukas, Faye, Kliff, Tobin, Genny, Sonya, Deen, and countless others could have benefited with supports that would make them more interesting as characters. Celica, which has the most supports in the game, is by far one of the dullest lords I've seen in the long time. Alm is just your standard lord, abit better than Marth/Corrin but Robin, Ike, Hector, Micaiah, Sigurd, and Leif still beat him.
>>
>>382713701
If you don't like waifushit you can just ignore it. It's what I did. Waifushit is only a small, easily-ignorable part of 3DS FE games. Hating on 3ds waifushit when it's been a staple of old FE is just hypocrisy. Every FE game has paired/marriage epilogues, and Lyn was literally waifubait: the character

For your question, no. Echoes is like FE without waifushit and without any of the good mechanics that made the games fun to play.

>>382714064
so casual it hurts
>>
>>382712689
My favorite out of the 3DS ones. Reminded me of Shining Force because of the dungeon crawling (even though it's not like the overworld in SF at all). Great artstyle, a story that I gave a shit about, and a nice change in mechanics for how units worked.
I loved it.
>>
>>382712689
A solid FE game.
Decent (not amazing) gameplay)
Good story
I'm not going to bother comparing it to the other 3DS FE games because that only leads to shitflinging.
>>
>>382714370
Name a single good mechanics of fates/awakening.

No weapon triangle in echoes did not lessen the gameplay. Classes had soft-countering and were less about enforced disadvantages and more about a unit's natural abilities. All it was really missing was the rescue mechanic.
>>
>>382714915
I liked how in Fates all the units had some sort of ability unique to them. It made them all feel unique to use.
>>
>>382715057
I can agree to that. Echoe's had them with class/ring/weapon/shield arts and passives. But weren't exclusive to a unit. As much as I like that part of fates it does come with the flaws of one unit's ability being godly while another might as well not exist and nothing you can do to change that.
>>
>>382712689
An 8/10 FE game.
Enjoyable enough, not the top in the series but a good entry.
>>
>>382712689
The worst remake I've ever played.
>>
>>382712689
It's one of the worst FE games. It's barely better than the original gaiden. FE12 should be the standard for remakes, not something worse than FE11.
>>
>>382714915
Conquest had amazing map design
Conquest also had perfect difficulty
Pair-up was great and balanced, attack stance led to a huge increase in the importance of positioning
Personal skills made each unit feel unique

Conquest is a great FE game

Awakening was shit though

Echoes, on the other hand, had no redeeming mechanics. Any redeeming mechanics it MIGHT'VE had like weapon skills are utterly meaningless in the face of the game's piss-easy difficulty and repetitive maps/gameplay
>>
>>382712689
Pretty much what I expected from a Gaiden remake.
Good dungeon segments though, nice from the stagnant feeling gameplay of the last 5 handheld titles.
>>
File: constanze_gun.png (103KB, 230x343px) Image search: [Google]
constanze_gun.png
103KB, 230x343px
>>382715660
>dungeons
>literally the exact same map and the exact same enemies strung along multiple encounters

>"stagnant feeling gameplay of the last 5 handheld titles"
>>
>>382715641
Conquest had average map design with a few gems that rank among the best in the series. It isn't that great a game, and actively has a story that drags the game's quality down.
>inb4 gameplay is always more important having the worst FE story doesn't matter
You can have both, it's called having standards. Conquest would have been a dogshit game, but as it is half the game props it up to an acceptable game.
>>
File: 1461448076113.jpg (82KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1461448076113.jpg
82KB, 480x360px
I'm currently at Duma's Temple fighting Berkut.
I like it, but I also hate it. For every good thing it seems like there's something annoying to come with it. I really enjoyed the drama going on, and they actually got (for the most part) good VAs. I was initially against the Turnwheel, but after doing dungeons and realizing that one fuckup or one missed 90 percent chance to hit attack could do away with all the progress you made in the run, I warmed up to it.
To me it feels the opposite of Conquest. Conquest had nothing going for it outside of the core gameplay and maps, but it's good enough on those merits that I'll replay it often. meanwhile SoV has everything going for it outside of the core gameplay and maps, and like Conquest it'll probably be good enough on those qualities for me to replay it. I like some things, magic taking up HP is neat, but enemies that spawn more enemies is a fucked mechanic and you see them every other battle.

For being so frustrating with all the bullshit maps that took me near an hour to clear like Nuibaba's Abode, I'll probably start another save file right as I finish this one and not fuck up reclassing.
>>
>>382715998
Yes anon, having a new gameplay style alongside the traditional style makes it feel less stagnant than the last 5 handheld titles. The only thing different in the last ones was the My Castle, which isn't useful for anything but making the game easier.
>>
File: fire_emblem_tier_list.jpg (2MB, 1920x4622px) Image search: [Google]
fire_emblem_tier_list.jpg
2MB, 1920x4622px
>>382716248
Conquest had good map design with a few excellent gems, all of it made better by the perfect, fair difficulty curve

It's among the best games in the series. Gameplay isn't everything, but it sure as fuck matters way more than everything else
>>
>>382715641
I wouldn't overrate conquest's map design, even if it was miles ahead of awakening's. The peak of conquest was chapter 10.
you also don't even need attack-stance, defense stance is busted despite the changes. you'll get through maps faster by just dropping beefed up defense-stance units in spots and letting the enemy come suicide on them. Not much different from rescue taxing only now you get free stat buffs and save a turn with the switch option. I can't see how lacking this is crippling to echoes.
>>
>>382716439
dungeons were the most repetitive part of an already repetitive-as-fuck game. It's literally the exact same fucking map every dungeon, against the exact same fucking group of enemies, strung together for a dozen battles. The worst part is it's so fucking piss-easy, you face like...5 enemies per encounter with a full 10+ unit team. The only time it gets difficult is when you get gangbanged by 3 groups at once, which you have no control over because the UI is balls. Dungeons were one of the worst parts in an already bad game.

It boggles my mind the depths Echoescucks will go to to defend this shit
>>
>>382716742
defense stance was a bit OP but not nearly to teh extent you described. It essentially halves your offensive power since you only get 1 unit instead of 2. overreliance on defensive stance means that you're going to eventually get swarmed because you don't have enough units on player phase to kill enemies with
>>
>>382716465
Shit tier list.
The difficulty was all over the place. Some maps were very challenging only to be followed by some piss easy stuff. If it were to belong in a tier list it would be mid-tier due to so much of the game being offensively bad outside of map design and skill building. Shitty one note characters, insultingly bad plot, and no actual reason for the battles to be taking place other than primal levels of retardation.
>>
>>382716893
If you are making sure your speed is good and your defense is at least allowing for 1 damage. You shouldn't be getting swarmed on player phase because you killed them on enemy phase. What you're describing is the result of fucking up enemy phase.
>>
File: dd4.jpg (25KB, 386x379px) Image search: [Google]
dd4.jpg
25KB, 386x379px
>>382712689
It wasn't exactly bad, they could have improved the maps and some things but overall it was a lot better than fates.
>>
>>382712689
best video game remake of all time and in my top 5 games of the year

also best FE on 3DS
>>
>>382716465
I'd bump up Path of Radiance higher(since base conversations, supports, and EXP rewards make the game fun) and I'd bump down Radiant Dawn abit mostly because of the lack of Supports, crappy RNG, and fillers.

Genealogy should also be very high in that list for gameplay, story and deep lore. Thracia 776 should also be high because it has best map designs in the entire series along with tactical gameplay and mission variety.

Binding Blade should at least be a bit higher because its gameplay and map designs aren't bad and can be a fairly challenging GBA game even if the story is copy-paste from Shadow Dragon.

Everything else in the list is fine though.
>>
>>382716758
I'm sorry you didn't like it but it's just an opinion, and I enjoyed it. Having the ability to use the character I'm controlling in actual dungeons was excellent and the mechanics of the dungeons such as sprinting management to avoid encounters was something that I liked, and the general gameplay style of running around in dungeons was a nice change of pace between main story battles.
I'm sorry that you feel the need to resort to random insults to rationalize that other people like things you don't.
>>
>>382716987
it's called having breather chapters

every chapter in Conquest is at the VERY LEAST challenging, far more so than, say, even the hardest chapters in SS or PoR. The average difficulty of Conquest is very high, while several maps (notably chpt 10, 12, ninja rape cave, and all the royal endgame maps) spike it up

I've literally played 9/11 games on that tier list in the past few months, so I can accurately gauge difficulty/quality of all of them
>>
>>382717147
conquest by its nature makes juggernauting impossible. what you're describing is simply not possible barring extremely cheesy LTC strats
>>
>>382717329
>i like eating shit
>that's a terrible thing to eat
>YEAH WELL IT'S JUST MY OPINION MAN STOP TRYING TO RATIONALIZE THINGS YOU DISLIKE

>>382717325
PoR is too easy to be called good
FE6 has same-turn reinforcements and Roy. I don't think I've enjoyed playing an FE game as little as I did FE6
>>
>>382714915
>No weapon triangle in echoes did not lessen the gameplay
Yes it does. It turns it into a statfest. WT added some depth to FE but SoV takes that away.
>Classes had soft-countering and were less about enforced disadvantages and more about a unit's natural abilities
Dread fighters and P. Knights rape everything. So does magic users.
>All it was really missing was the rescue mechanic
I guess but rescue was only useful for chaining to move your slow shitty units.
>>
>>382714915
Fates taking away durability and giving weapon types different strengths and weaknesses was a good first step even if the execution was a bit lacking
>>
>>382717379
PoR is widely regarded as pathetically easy though, it's carried upon it's merits of having an engaging plot, good worldbuilding, and still being fun despite the lack of difficulty, it makes a poor comparison in terms of difficulty.
I'm not saying CQ itself is easy as a whole, but the pacing was terrible between the map styles. I didn't even hate the game overall, I'd agree with it if it were in mid tier.
Mainly what I disagreed with in the list was Birthright and Revelation, and also slightly SS.
Rev was insultingly bad, it had a vile plot designed to make people buy the games rather than stand on it's own merits and map design that was outright irritating without having the redeeming ones in CQ. Birthright was just CQ without the good maps.
>>
>>382717704
From a gameplay perspective, yes PoR could have improved more in variety, but story, supports, EXP, everything else was great about it. A lot of the characters had personality and felt like people(as opposed to most of the anime tropes we've seen in Awakening/Fates).

As for FE6, yeah Roy sucked as a character, and story was crap but at least it had one of the best battles in the game(Murdock's map).
>>
>>382717704
>the pinnacle of all arguments: the shit eating analogy
Pathetic.
Good to see you missed the point entirely and can't see the difference between someone having an opinion that stands alone from yours and someone trying to change your opinion.
>>
File: confused.jpg (19KB, 575x323px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
19KB, 575x323px
>>382717483
>makes juggernauting impossible
Did we even play the same game?
and when did completing maps in only a few turns become "cheesy" it's be something the series has rewarded in the past for a few games.
>>382717894
Agreed
>>382717757
Understanding your units stats is some how less depth than rock paper scissors?
Realizing that making kliff an archer creates a counter to arcanists isn't really a step down from selecting lance to attack a sword guy.
>>
>>382718474
>Did we even play the same game?
uh, did you? casual mode doesn't count sweetie. Multiple mechanics in Conquest discourage juggernauting
>>
>>382718030
Difficulty-wise that's entirely on NOA, the game could have been more challenging had NOA not toned down the difficulty upon localization. If the games' difficulty was kept fully intact, it would have been better than even Thracia, Radiant Dawn, and Conquest.
>>
>>382717704
>retarded shit eating analogy
>PoR isn't good because of the lack of difficulty despite being great in everything else
Out
>>
Only FE game Ive played that I couldn't bring myself to 100% or beat twice

Very disappointed when I found out there was no lunatic difficulty. The mechanics were barebones but I didn't expect a lot from a remake of such an old game. However I was still disappointed because the unique weapon system/weapon skills and upgrading was done so poorly most special skills did less damage than a regular attack. Absolute garbage. I'd say I had a favourable bias going into this as well, I'd been looking forward to it for months
>>
>>382718642
There's literally maps where units show up pre-ready to juggernaut. Are you for real right now with this.
>>
>>382718718
Indeed. Unfortunately, it wasn't kept intact.
>>
>>382718718
Isn't it the opposite, where NA's Normal is JP's Hard?
>>
File: gennyfluff.gif (77KB, 540x424px) Image search: [Google]
gennyfluff.gif
77KB, 540x424px
>>382712689
Good fe
I liked the story a lot and genny is the best thing in the whole series
was fun running around without a grid, I liked that
>>
>>382717483
There isn't a whole lot keeping the game from becoming a complete turtle quest later on, once you get past the boat chapter. Ryoma's time limit is comically generous.

If you're willing to forgo turncount then then lategame lunatic is pretty much "dump a shitload of rallies onto Xander and poke him into enemy range", with very few exceptions. I won't deny that Conquest had a strong showing at the start, but its weaknesses start to show near the end.
>>
>>382718312
its called having a shitty opinion. protip: you do
>>
>>382719217
Same to you buddy, but I'm not trying to persuade you to like it.
>>
>>382718903
lmao like what. camilla can't defend 4 chokepoints by herself. Xander gets one-shotted by a shining bow archer in his join chapter. you're so full of shit it's amazing
>>
>>382718730
>bad gameplay doesn't prevent it from being good
lol
>>
>>382718994
Yes, "easy" was normal, "normal" was hard and "hard" was the "maniac" from japan.
>>
>>382718903
Not the anon you're talking to but on lunatic all that comes to mind is Camilla in chapter 10, she has her limits even then but hardly. Lategame has too many characters with lunge and debuffing daggers/poison skills to send any units alone
>>
>>382719432
The gameplay was fine though. You can have an easy game with good gameplay and a shitty game with difficult gameplay.
>>
>>382718994
No, NA normal is JP normal. They removed Maniac mode because japs complained about the bulky enemies, added Easy and messed around with Hard in an attempt to make it harder.
>>
>>382719148
BEXP needs to come back to deincentivize turtling

but even with turtling Conquest is amazingly hard. In fact, it seems to have been designed specifically to COUNTER turtling. The AI is actually smart enough to not fall for bait tactics. They don't go for you if you place Xander at the edge of their attack range, then they all gangbang one unit the moment you come close enough.

Ryoma's chapter is actually an excellent example of anti-turtling. There's actually 0 benefit to turtling in that map. There are no reinforcements. No matter how long you take, you're forced to go down ninja rape hallways. Doing it from turn 0 is literally the same thing as doing it from turn 20.
>>
>>382718474
>Understanding your units stats is some how less depth than rock paper scissors?
Yes? Having a high defense unit and placing him in enemy range with whatever weapon while the AI conga lines into them is retarded.

>>382718718
Jap version is still baby easy. Even if it was difficult it still has shit maps, broken forging, unlimited gold, and inferior BEXP system. There's a patch for manic mode try it out yourself and Ike can still solo it.
>>
>>382719601
>You can have an easy game with good gameplay
nope

Reggie put it amazingly succintly:

Games are about fun and battle.
If it's not fun, why play?
If it's not a battle, where's the fun?
>>
>>382719837
I think the thing with Ryoma's chapter is that in Lunatic, you have to kill both bosses to unlock the arena if you were a retard who reclassed corn into an archer or something. That'd seem to incentivize an aggressive approach where you split your army up into two parties to take on each route, but in experience I had more than enough time to slowly pick off everything on the left and drag everyone back around to take out the right. There's gangbang chokepoints that don't really matter because you get a metric shit ton of freeze staves anyways.
>>
File: 1392334730064.jpg (250KB, 816x816px) Image search: [Google]
1392334730064.jpg
250KB, 816x816px
>yfw you attack for the first time in act 5 and this plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqPrF5hecwY
>>
>>382720230
that's not really turtling though, that's just deathballing your units. Turtling is staying in the area for 20+ turns farming reinforcements until they stop. Turtling is how I beat Hinoka's chapter, fuck 12-move flying reinforcements
>>
File: 1498723096463.jpg (287KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1498723096463.jpg
287KB, 1280x1440px
>>382720470
>yfw this plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Veyuy4kKg
>>
>>382720084
by that logic, 11 and 12 are better then anything else in the franchise due to how difficult they are on their hardest difficulty
>>
>>382712689
Maps are ass, otherwise pretty much everything else ranges from acceptable to superb.
>>
>>382721135
nope

FE games need to be difficult to be good, but the reverse is not true.

Just because it's difficult does not mean it's good.
>>
>>382721354
but they are fire emblem games do it is true according to your logic.

lets be real, the DS games are infinitely better then any of the 3ds or gba games, hands down.
>>
>>382718474
>Understanding your units stats is some how less depth than rock paper scissors?
what a silly statement. With weapons triangle you still need to understand your unit stats. In fact, you need to understand unit stats even MORE since weapons triangle allows a weaker unit to fight an otherwise stronger unit, or vice-versa
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.