[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever get open world games with maps like this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: A man can dream.jpg (471KB, 1470x1470px) Image search: [Google]
A man can dream.jpg
471KB, 1470x1470px
Will we ever get open world games with maps like this?
>>
>>382695352
Yeah, it's called go outside and do something with your life.
>>
>>382695352
It's like the west coast ate the rest of the country.
>>
>>382695606
Where do you think we are?
>>
>>382695352
When have we ever gotten games with maps like these?
>>
>>382695665
That's a poor excuse
>>
>>382695975
There is a board for discussing the outdoors. This is the video games board. Fuck off.
>>
>>382696072
Not an argument
>>
>>382695640
I think the inclusion of Vice City is stupid, but I could totally see a Cali/Nevada thing working.

>>382695770
All that comes to mind is Daggerfall.

>>382696204
If you have nothing decent to contribute to the thread, leave. I hate newfags like you.
>>
>>382695352
No.

Why?

In those open world games, you've got two options. Either have everything randomly generated, or have everything hand placed.

I'm assuming by the nature of your post you don't accept randomly generated maps as legitimate, so that only leaves the other option.

The problem with hand made maps is that someone has to design and place every single object in the game. Every tree, bush, telephone pole, stop sign, and house.

Thus, a map that big would take several million manhours to make, not even counting the time it would take to make every single 3d model and texture, and no company on earth has that sort of budget. Technology will never solve this problem because it is a matter of paying people to work that many hours.
>>
>>382696651
>it is a matter of paying people to work that many hours.
Well if you would hire some 3rd world enthusiasts, and not blown budged on marketing, it would be doable.

The only limiting factor is technology.
>>
You'll get bored of exploring a map that size and it makes getting anywhere a pain in the ass. That's why no one has made a map that size. The more shit there is in a map the less focused it is, and the game loses all structure.
>>
>>382696651
Look at the maps a bunch of people make in Arma in their spare time.

It probably wouldn't be that hard to have a good number of dedicated people working on the detailing of a map.

I always get sad when I see that one GTA V map that gets posted on /v/. Something like that would've been great.
>>
File: 1366065-xju7q.jpg (757KB, 2334x1924px) Image search: [Google]
1366065-xju7q.jpg
757KB, 2334x1924px
>>382695352
We already have.
It sucked.
>>
>>382695352
Where is Liberty city, faggot?
>>
File: maxresdefault (34).jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (34).jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
>>382699425
>>
>>382695606
>do something with your life.
Like what, exactly? What is there to do outside that meets the following criteria?

>Doesn't cost money
>Isn't standing around
>Actually makes some sort of return based on time invested that isn't "Le becoming one with nature" meme

There's even less to do outdoors than indoors.

Sure, you could play "sportsball" but that's just as meaningless as video games.
>>
>>382700583
photography
>>
I fucking hope not
>>
>>382695352
Why does noone have a high res of this map? REEE
>>
>>382700680
>take pictures of rocks and dead plants and shit
Are you familiar with Google images?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.