[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Describe your ideal Sonic game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 44

Describe your ideal Sonic game.
>>
A non-existent one.
>>
Fun
>>
>>382682576
Quality reply.
>>
Sonic Adventure 2
>>
File: 1469243611178.webm (732KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469243611178.webm
732KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: mania.jpg (186KB, 1071x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mania.jpg
186KB, 1071x1200px
>>382682320
It already exists
>>
>>382682320
>>
A moist bag of dog poop.
>>
>>382682658
Sonic Adventure 2 is a really weird game. It's extremely fun, but it has so many minor problems that all add up and create an extremely conflicting experience. It's impossible for me to call it good, bad, or anything in between.
>>
>>382682320
I just want a section on a level that requires you to dodge incoming obstacles in a higher speed that if you blink you'll lose kind of situation. They did it before but it felt slow and casual.
>>
>>382682320
No game, it's just a Crush 40 album and bright green landscapes.
>>
>>382683304
I know what you mean. I think most Sonic games are too easy, and if Sonic Teams wants to make ultra-automated roller coasters instead of just converting Classic gameplay into 3D with a Modern coat of paint, then they should at least throw in some difficulty to compensate for the lack of interaction from the player.
>>
File: 1398488746093.png (250KB, 319x392px) Image search: [Google]
1398488746093.png
250KB, 319x392px
Make a game of worlds collide comic. Its not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>382683131

I think it's pretty bad overall. Really it does have a lot of minor things that add up but I think the issue that is ultimately its downfall is the way it paces out levels between the different playstyles. Like shit on the first Adventure all you want, at least you didn't have to do three gamma and knuckles stages before you could play another Sonic one.
>>
Chaotix in their own game where they go on a crazy inter-dimensional adventure to save the universe (in hope of getting paid). Knuckles should be there because he's basically useless in actual Sonic games, and I wouldn't mind Silver making a playable appearance.
>>
A fighting game developed by Arksys
>>
>>382683919
I don't think many people would have a problem with aspect if the game had just been polished more, resulting in the mech and treasure-hunting levels basically being on the same tier as the main ones.
>>
Guy Ritchie dialogue and fast, fun gameplay.
>>
>>382684559

Honestly i'd just settle for the knuckles stages being on par with the ones from the first game. I mean the levels themselves generally are, but that radar alone drags them down into dogshit.

Granted I never liked playing gamma in Adventure so having to do it even more in 2 left a sour taste in my mouth.
>>
>Whitehead and CO continue to make sprite based Sonic games every few years
>Sonic Team goes back to Adventure style games
>>
>>382682320
This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfUoXJzff2I

This was the most perfect level in Sonic Generations. It was big enough to explore, but it was always fast paced, and there were multiple paths every fucking where. This is the ideal Modern Sonic experience. This is what every Modern Sonic stage should be. Great gameplay, great level design, and even greater level cinematics. And the best part? 2D is almost non existent.

Generations City Escape was the epitome of Modern Sonic.
>>
File: Freedom_planet.jpg (147KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
Freedom_planet.jpg
147KB, 620x620px
>>382682320
>>
File: 1498086489510.png (26KB, 414x237px) Image search: [Google]
1498086489510.png
26KB, 414x237px
>>382683110
>The Great Lange
>>
>>382684929
that faggot? No!
>>
>>382684929
What's wrong with him?
>>
>>382684712
I would say that the radar only being able to detect one object at a time is only a problem in four of the nine treasure-hunting levels: Pumpkin Hill, Meteor Herd, Security Hall, and Mad Space. Those levels are huge, and as a result, only being able to find one thing at a time can be completely infuriating. It doesn't help that the radar only has three color-indicators and nothing to tell you if you're exactly on the spot (there's no exclamation point in the Dreamcast version), unlike the SA1 radar, which had FIVE color-indicators, one of which only activated when you were directly on the object you needed to find. In the SA2 treasure-hunting stages, you'll be stumbling around aimlessly trying to get to the next color on the radar so you'll know you're closer, and when the radar is red and the item happens to be underground or something (which happens painfully often), you're completely screwed. You have to dig into every possible spot within the area that the radar is red in, and it's a horrible, tedious experience that's not fun in the slightest. It only makes it worse that by the time you've found the item, you've probably wasted too much time to get an A-rank. It's just terrible all the way around, and it could have been entirely fixed with a few extremely basic solutions.
>>
I would actually very much like a sonic R type game made now a days. New and old levels returning, and being able to play as ALL or close to all of the characters we have seen in the games.
Kinda like the fan project Sonic Worlds only a racer.
It be much better then sonic R with its 5 levels and 10 Characters. (i don't count super sonic as a character)
>>
>>382685775
Huge ego, thinks he's better than Sonic Team.
>>
>>382684795
>This was the most perfect level in Sonic Generations

>not rooftop run

mate this isn't just my favorite generations level, it isn't just my favorite modern sonic level, it's my favorite level in any platformer I've ever played and in a top 3 for any game period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvP7fGpQOT0
>>
>>382686530
And is impossibly stubborn, getting kicked out of every project he gets his claws into, or asked to not comeback.

HE is very difficult to work with wanting to be done HIS way and no other way, will not compromise unless you verbally beat him to submission.

Tends to cause drama with his Autistic thinking.
As in you must PAINSTAKINGLY describe exactly what you are going to do and every step by step instruction on HOW you want it done, only for him to just ignore you and do it his way anyways.

Has a massive mental issues due to his upbringing.

Is not a team player.
>>
>>382686640
>tfw no one remembers Speed Highway

C-Cool..
>>
>>382687265
Sounds like Sonic Utopia is never coming out.
>>
>>382687265
Sounds like your average Sonic autist taken to the extreme.
With that said, he does seem know what he's doing.
>>
>>382687265
You worked with the guy before?
>>
2D: Mania but with all original level themes.

3D: Something like Adventure 1s Sonic gameplay, but with less boost-pad heavy corridors over a death pit and more stuff like Speed Highway 3. Semi-open areas with multiple routes of getting from Point A to Point B. Speed Highway 3 isn't even all that great and it's really sad that it's still the best example of how Sonic level design could work in a 3D space.

Removing Iizuka
>>
>>382687905
oh it will, It is only like 4 people working on it.
And Lange is doing most if not everything him self. Basically 3 coders with one artist. With Lange also doing some art.

Utopia is Lange's idea through and through.
>>
>>382688364
Yep, i wont say what i have worked with him, but lets just say him and i don't get along at Retro.
Gotta stay Anon, plus, the list of people fed up with Lange is growing every year so it wouldn't matter.
>>
>>382688502
Here's to him not shitting it up. I fell in love with the demo.
>>
>>382688746
Welp. Good luck to you and your team.
Be a good example and don't let petty feuds get in the way of professionalism.
>>
>>382682320
a huge chao garden
>>
>>382688012
the problem is he is not JUST autistic with sonic he is autistic with EVERYTHING.
Communication, feelings, ways of doing things ect.
But don't get me wrong if there is one thing he is good at its understanding games, Sonic especially. But God is he insufferable to deal with.
>>
>>382683110
>Ian Flynn story in an adventure-style game

Never knew I wanted something this much
>>
Sonic Adventure 3 now featuring even more Hunnid-P and introducing The Chaotix
>>
Sonic adventure 1 had some great overworlds and a perfect soundtrack. The levels had lots of charm too, especially windy valley and twinkle park.
>>
>>382689382
Wasn't that guy sent to jail a few years ago over some gay shit?
I remember reading something about Sonic fans starting some sort of petition to FREE HUNNID P as if it would overrule the law
>>
File: 1498659060658.jpg (16KB, 243x228px) Image search: [Google]
1498659060658.jpg
16KB, 243x228px
>mfw sooner or later there is going to be an internal "Lange War" within the Sonic fan base.
>>
Generations but with original level designs and twice as long
>>
A story-driven game (preferably love story) with Lots of zany new friends
>>
Make a game that somehow plays like the Sonic CD intro.
>>
>>382682320
Sonic Mania with Amy and Chrome Gadget DLC.
>>
>>382690552
Didn't realise how much i wanted a proper Chrome Gadget zone until now....
>>
>>382682320
Modern designs but oldschool gameplay. The base trio plus Amy because Amy was super fun to play in Advance. Extteme focus on level design, momentum physjcs and music.
>>
>>382682320
Sonic Mania.
>>
>>382687265
>getting kicked out of every project he gets his claws into
Can you list any examples? This is the first time I'm hearing about this.
>>
>>382691960
Almost got kicked out of After the Squeal, got kicked out out Freedom Planet, and that's what i do know i know there are a bunch of other Small projects he gets kicked out of as well.
>>
>>382692132
How do you get kicked out of a fan game and an indie-game wannabe?
>>
>>382692132
>got kicked out out Freedom Planet
But he didn't?
>>
SA2B.
>>
I just want them to make a 3D platformer with good, fun mechanics and not bogged down with stupid shit. No alternate play-styles. No forced collecting of medals or whatever. Just straight up good gameplay with enough of a story to keep shit moving.

Though given pretty much every Sonic game made in the last twenty years, I don't think that's fucking possible.
>>
>>382684795
>>382686640
>not modern Seaside Hill
You two don't know shit about anything.
>>
>>382690552
>>382690726
>implying a Sonic 3 multiplyer stage won't be in Mania
wew lads, just wew
>>
>>382682320
A platformer
>>382682982
also this
>>
>>382692383
Games like Utopia make me think it is, Sonic Team have just never really tried it.
>>
A Rouge game
>>
sonic adventure game set in sonic riders universe, can use boards to travel, skates, bikes. chao garden set in space.
>>
A game that just puts Amy on support. She seems like she'd make a better healer/helper than an actual playable character
>>
>>382682320
A really in depth chao garden game. That's all.
>>
>>382687265
source: your ass
>>
>>382693175
Utopia is an interesting idea, but I don't know how I feel about the demo.
Doesn't seem very focused. Like they just threw a bunch of stuff all over. I'm hoping it just feels that way because it's a demo and they wanted to show off everything.
>>
>>382682320
Sonic Generations but longer, with all new levels and no half-baked 2D segments.

Alternatively, Sonic Mania with all new levels.
>>
>>382696076
I think the demo was pretty much just a proof of concept thing, nothing special in particular other than showing what they're capable of
>>
File: sonic.0.0.jpg (134KB, 1310x873px) Image search: [Google]
sonic.0.0.jpg
134KB, 1310x873px
>>382682320
that particular one i was playing when i was 5 years old
>>
>>382682320
I'd just make a 3D Sonic game that's more in line with the 2D game's formula. Big levels with mutliple paths to take, hidden areas that take you to a bonus level where you can earn chaos emeralds, 3 acts for each stage with a boss as the end of each level. Y'know, the basic stuff except in 3D. It's always bothered me that Sega has never gone all the way with that. They always do some kind of gimmick or make the levels way too small and linear to be interesting.
>>
File: yt.png (14KB, 286x154px) Image search: [Google]
yt.png
14KB, 286x154px
>>382686530
>>382687265
Hi. It's not nice to make things up about people. But you're not entirely wrong either.

>And is impossibly stubborn, getting kicked out of every project he gets his claws into, or asked to not comeback.
I do not get kicked out of every project. In fact most projects I've joined I've remained part of. Only a couple have reached such friction, and there's two sides to every story.

>HE is very difficult to work with wanting to be done HIS way and no other way
I am stubborn when it comes to directing, because I often know exactly how something should be to work best. I still listen to feedback. In the case of Sonic Utopia, I've made lots of considerations, compromises and plans based on player feedback and that of my team.

>will not compromise unless you verbally beat him to submission
I won't compromise on those terms. I'll compromise if I've been convinced by a good argument.

>As in you must PAINSTAKINGLY describe exactly what you are going to do and every step by step instruction on HOW you want it done
When working on a project, I do tend to have such standards, and I get good results from myself and others.

>only for him to just ignore you and do it his way anyways
If that happens, it means I weighed options and the aforementioned detailed description was part of the decision making process.

>Is not a team player.
The teams I'm part of would disagree.
>>
>>382682576
>>382682628
ebin
>>
>>382697476
Oh shit
>>
>>382682320
Just Sonic Mania but with all new levels.
>>
File: 1498427438665.jpg (19KB, 264x292px) Image search: [Google]
1498427438665.jpg
19KB, 264x292px
>Lange comes in the thread an hour later after the discussions long done and does a words words words reply
You should've just let sleeping dogs lie, man.
>>
>>382697476
Is it really you?
What do you think of Spike from Ape Escape and Kat from Gravity Rush being a couple haha
>>
I want a Rouge game.
>>
File: image.png (38KB, 719x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
38KB, 719x475px
RPG.

Team Dark are the main and playable characters. Sonic is either not there or just has a small role.
>>
>>382696076
>I'm hoping it just feels that way because it's a demo and they wanted to show off everything.
That's basically exactly what it is. Green Hill does not represent how they want Utopia's level design to be, it's just a physics play ground that was rushed to make it to SAGE 2016.
>>
>>382698579
I've seen similar shit said on /v/ multiple times now, so I'm taking this opportunity to address it.

Also if anyone has questions or criticisms or whatever for Utopia, I'm here.

>>382687905
>>382688502
The team is currently 6 people myself included.
We're aiming to make a complete game. We are working on a new demo right now, hopefully done in time for next SAGE.

>>382696076
>>382696818
This really. It is a very messy experiment designed to test player feedback and learn from a wide variety of situations, as well as seeing what people would generally prefer for a more ideal level.
Based on everything so far, the level design for the actual game will be much more tightly focused, while still offering a fair amount of open space to play in and designs that take advantage of 3d space (paths in different directions and heights, intersections and overhangs, etc).
>>
>>382697476
Hi Lange, is that original IP that plays like classic Sonic but in 3D still in development and Utopia is a testing ground for it? Also will there be a new Overture demo this SAGE?
>>
Sonic Adventure was basically the first Uncharted, it was all about the graphical splendor of cinematic moments like the killer whale and running down the building in speed highway, just give the series to Naughty Dog
>>
>>382700204
>I've seen similar shit said on /v/ multiple times now, so I'm taking this opportunity to address it.
It's really best to just let /v/ be /v/. Don't feed it.
>>
>2d
>more zoomed out than classic ones
>has a map editor a la Mario Maker
>>
>>382700512
>Hi Lange, is that original IP that plays like classic Sonic but in 3D still in development and Utopia is a testing ground for it?
It's funny, Utopia is kind of an accident. We were working on the original game and had started progress on a demo for it, but two of our important devs had to leave due to life issues. I wasn't sure what to do, until Murasaki asked about making a Sonic level and we agreed to try a Sonic demo instead as a learning experiment. I'm glad we did, because we learned a lot that otherwise would've made the original game demo much more difficult to produce. We've shelved the original game for now, and decided to try and make a full game out of Utopia, as we're learning tons and drastically improving the engine in the process, which will greatly benefit our future efforts.

>Also will there be a new Overture demo this SAGE?
We're trying for that too, the team is working hard on it, but I can't make any promises.
>>
>>382702108
Thanks for answering, I'm personally looking forward to both fan games.
>>
>>382687265
Big words little man. if your gonna name drop lange with shit you have herd why dont you tell us who you are. I mean you have no problem outing him. I have been around Lange and these things about being kicked out of projects are rumors. I can back that up. Lange has been working hard to change things and help the community. The rumors have been spread by a certain person who doesnt like Lange. So if ya gonna be a big boy and talk shit then have the balls to post your name with it kid.
>>
>>382704393
>your
>>
>>382682320
I just want a good translation of the 2d mechanics into 3d.
>>
>>382682320
as goofy as SA and SA2 but with better level design and tighter movement mechanics
>>
>>382704393
pretty sure the dude is long gone now.
Probably just some disaffected former team mate or something..
>>
2d: Mania, with original levels and hand drawn graphics.
3d: Blend of adventure and boost gameplay. Small fun hub worlds to run around and find hidden stuff in, multiple characters with slight variations to gameplay, all of them based on the boost gameplay but slightly slower and with more fluid movement. Bring back and build upon the trick system from Rush for filling the boost gauge instead of using wisps. Add a more streamlined version of the Chao garden (something like tiny Chao garden, but with more stuff to do). Crush 40 main theme and a cheesy but not Saturday morning cartoon plot.
>>
>>382700028

also keep it away from bioware this time
>>
>>382683131
>>382683919
>>382684559
>>382684712
I think Sa2 is the incaranation of "fun, but flawed". It's janky as all hell and lacks any amount of polish but the core gameplay and systems there are all really fun and the jank sort of gives it it's own charm.
>>
>>382707919
Who should make it?
>>
>>382708043

Atlus
Sega will save money on outsourcing
>>
>>382702108
Also forgot to ask, will Overture be in widescreen or is the aspect ratio the same as in the old demo?
>>
>>382704393
>by a certain person who doesnt like Lange.
I'm going to guess that's LimitCrown?
>>
File: 1390197720821.png (434KB, 571x540px) Image search: [Google]
1390197720821.png
434KB, 571x540px
Sonic 3 but more levels
>>
>>382682320
Sonic Mania but only original levels.

Spin-off with different gameplay styles starring others characters

>a knucklesvania

>Starfox-esque with tails and the tornado

>A cooking mama-style game with amy and cream
>>
File: Sonic Mania info so far.png (2MB, 1860x4877px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Mania info so far.png
2MB, 1860x4877px
>>382708756
So Mania then.
>>
File: 1404763987499.jpg (46KB, 463x462px) Image search: [Google]
1404763987499.jpg
46KB, 463x462px
>>382709261
I've fallen for the sonic cycle too many times to get hype anon

>Hurr sonic cycle has been broken!

it really hasn't you simply lowered your standards and accepted shit tier games as good
>>
>>382708676
>LimitCrown
I don't know how much that cunt is getting paid to shill for Forces, but it's gotta be a lot.
>>
File: Sonic Mania devs.png (437KB, 1355x1677px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Mania devs.png
437KB, 1355x1677px
>>382709763
The cycle does NOT apply to Mania in the slightest.
>>
>>382709994
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that bitch? It honestly does sound like she's a paid shill.
>>
Sonic advance 3
>>
File: TealSonic_SAGE_update.png (25KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
TealSonic_SAGE_update.png
25KB, 384x224px
>>382708551
Widerscreen anyway. This is the resolution.
>>
>>382682320
For me it would be a Sonic Heroes 2 with an improved collision/physics engine. I loved the team element. Speed and flight played fine, but brawler needs some tweaking. I just don't know how though. Smashing shit up is fine but it needs to look and feel good too.
>>
>>382710452
Noice, again thanks for answering.
>>
File: hdaaaa.jpg (596KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
hdaaaa.jpg
596KB, 1280x960px
>Classic styled 2D or (refined and polished) Adventure styled 3D
>Classic character designs
>Creative new levels
>Good story that's presented through levels and short transitional cutscenes ala 3&K with optional side text stuff for deepest lore like Kirby
>Hideki Naganuma soundtrack
Thinking about it, it's not really asking for much.
>>
File: PROTOTYPE.png (145KB, 290x358px) Image search: [Google]
PROTOTYPE.png
145KB, 290x358px
Everyday until you like it. Prototype physics and controls with light beat-em-up elements. It even has the aerial lock-on attacks. Just ditch the vehicles and stealth, make adventure style levels, and emphasize the vertical movements. We need more Sonic games with Wall/ceiling running. Actually, we really need that in 2D Sonic too.
>>
>>382697476
hey faggot
>>
>>382700204
You shouldn't post on /v/, all it does is invite nasty trorrs. Love the tech demo btw. I hope you drop the Sonic IP though. Half because your team deserves to get paid if they want to, and half because Sonic is a shit series and by making it an Actual Sonic Game instead of a Freedom Planet sort of deal is that you're boosting the brand value that is owned by a crappy company that keeps employing bad designers to make their vidya. (please do not respond to the previous sentence) If you make an original IP you can still one-up them with your "this is how to make a sonic game", but it's even better because you can profit off it and do whatever with no legal fear.
>>
>>382711116
>keeps employing bad designers to make their vidya
>still one-up them with your "this is how to make a sonic game", but it's even better because you can profit off it and do whatever with no legal fear.
You mean like Taxman and Stealth are currently doing?
>>
sonic free riders
>>
>>382700204
Would you ever work with the guy behind Green Hill Paradise Act 2 in a similar kind of game in the future? You guys have a similar understanding of how to make Sonic work in 3D, and you guys could bounce level design nuance ideas off of each other.
>>
>>382697476
Hey, Lange. It's SuperSonic. How ya been, man?
>>
sonic generations 3
>>
>>382711328
I think Sega will never drop Sonic Team. So even if you do business and get in bed with Sega, they'll either give you a tiny baby budget because the real money is reserved for Sonic Team, or they'll force Sonic Team to work for you and ho boy that sounds like a terrible situation.

>>382711474
>GHPA2
>understanding
>nuance
wew have you played it? It's the God of War to Utopia's Devil May Cry.
>>
File: 565736262.png (116KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
565736262.png
116KB, 300x464px
>>382697476
Oi, I appreciate your passion for the little blue bastard and really enjoyed Utopia. I hope you and your team accomplish great things.
>>
>>382688415
Fuck no, City Escape, Radical Highway, or any Adventure 2 Sonic/Shadow level that's not Final Chase beats the shit out of any Adventure Sonic stage which range from okay (Emerald Coast) to barely functional (Sky Deck).
>>
>>382711835
>I think Sega will never drop Sonic Team.
Haven't the people at Sonic Team been changed several times over now? Sonic Team is just a name.
>>
>>382697476
I look forward to the game thanks for popping up
>>
Frankly I'm just a little sad that 3D Sonic has been dead for almost a decade now. I don't mind if they cut away the speed a bit, but they completely remove it and make all the levels 2D now. The autist in me still gets triggered when people call Colors, Generations, Lost World, and Forces 3D Sonic games.
>>
>>382709261
what's amazing is seeing members of the original sonic team being impressed by mania
>>
>>382712248
Sonic Team is more than just a name.
>>
going fast
>>
File: DDlWZw-UIAApCOW.png (4MB, 3120x2340px) Image search: [Google]
DDlWZw-UIAApCOW.png
4MB, 3120x2340px
>>382712491
It sure is.

https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/880872595276546049
>>
File: HotWheels.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
HotWheels.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>382711526
Ah, screw it. Long as we're doing trips. Hey, guys. I'm the guy who made Green Hill Paradise - Act 2. I recently put together a version of the HedgePhysics Unity engine to make an easy jumping off point for fans to develop their own Sonic levels. I originally put it together for /sthg/, but feel free to give it a go yourselves. If you have an ideal Sonic game, why merely describe it when you can make it happen yourself? Don't try to convince others through words. Do it through something people can actually play.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw9wQojS0lxpbXpxRWZiOFNWSHM/view?usp=sharing

>>382711835
This is a fair assessment. I also agree that Utopia is a more polished experience but, then again, Utopia was made by a team of talented individuals from the ground up whereas GHP was made by myself in an already-modified FPS engine.
The fact that people even compare Utopia and GHP makes me feel pretty good, to be honest.
>>
File: Shadow is not amused.png (269KB, 274x374px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow is not amused.png
269KB, 274x374px
>>382712165
>he doesn't like final chase
>>
>>382711474
We worked together a bit on GHP2 and have talked a lot. Despite the similarities between the demos, we have pretty different approaches and we've got our own things going on.

>>382711526
Decent. You should hang out in SFGHQ more often.

>>382711912
Thank you.
>>
Unleashed's Daytime stages are the definitive Modern Sonic playstyle.

Fuck Colors for ruining it with 2D shit
>>
>>382714263
>Unleashed didn't have any 2D
End this fucking meme already.
>>
>>382714394
It was balanced much better and the 2D side acts had way better level design. Go buy the DLC if you're on 360/PS3. So many fluid and fun 2D levels there and even the Werehog has a lot of good DLC stages. The DLC is cheap as fuck and very underrated
>>
>>382712887
Have you checked out Sonic Spitball? This guy has a great description of my ideal 3D Sonic game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVKFRxgwSWE
>>
SONIC MEGADRIVE ZONES ARE IN MANIA
>>
>>382712427
You're not alone. If your Sonic game has more than 50% 2D then it's not 3D. Simple as that. By my logic, the only actual 3D Sonic game to have existed in past 7 years is Lego Dimensions

>>382714913
Absolutely. You should check out ShayMay's review of Green Hill Paradise.
>>
>>382682320
BLUE ARMS
>>
Its a remaster of sa1 and sa2, with online chao racing and fighting and co op mode.
>>
>>382697476

I LOVE YOUR MUSIC
>>
It's Sonic Mania.
>>
sonic heroes with different levels for different teams and a team metal sonic(Metal sonic, Mecha sonic,Silver sonic)
>>
>>382714394
Unleashed had 2D, but it wasn't like the 2D in Sonic Colors, Generations, Lost World, and now Forces. It was far more fluid as well.

Compare

This masterpiece
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMo-1ljf1AA

To this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqPY6cmReE
>>
File: 1497656791443.png (71KB, 191x226px) Image search: [Google]
1497656791443.png
71KB, 191x226px
>>382715810
>unironically choosing mania
>>
File: 1489868489742.gif (614KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1489868489742.gif
614KB, 500x384px
>>382716510
Not him but what's wrong with Mania?
>>
File: 1497185623684.png (234KB, 545x530px) Image search: [Google]
1497185623684.png
234KB, 545x530px
>>382716716
>it's another mania babby
>>
>>382712165

Most of SA2's levels are excessively automated rectangular corridors floating over a bottomless pit. They're flashy but shallow. The only two levels I'd even consider to be actual levels are Final Rush and Chase, they're a bunch of platforms over a death pit, but at least there's some meaningful interactivity and multiple routes.
I don't mean to imply SA1 didn't have any of the above, or even had good level design in general. Infact most of SA1 is similar corridors floating over a death pit. It's just that the rare section like Speed Highway 3 showed far more potential for interesting level design. Which is why I focused on that, and showed disappointment that they just gave up in every game afterwards and made every level a copypaste boost-pad heavy rectangular corridors floating over a death pit masquerade as "level design".
>>
sonic battle but with less grind for the best moves
>>
File: 1483482038863.png (92KB, 209x396px) Image search: [Google]
1483482038863.png
92KB, 209x396px
>>382716925
>Completely avoids my question
Nice.
>>
File: 1481333062387.png (383KB, 560x549px) Image search: [Google]
1481333062387.png
383KB, 560x549px
>>382717539
>shill mode activated
>>
>>382682320
I would like to see something more like sonic heros.
>>
>>382717960
>everyone who likes a game i don't is a shill
>>382718317
my nigga
>>
File: 1496788786058.jpg (112KB, 1087x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496788786058.jpg
112KB, 1087x1080px
>>382718464
>i
>>
>>382718317
What's the appeal of Sonic Heroes?
>>382718464
>Responding to an obvious shit poster
>>
>>382718646
>caring about capitalized I's on 4chan
>>
Sonic World, but actually good.
>>
Open World Sonic Game
>>
Rouge gets fucked up the ass: The game.
>>
>>382682320
Sonic Adventure 2 style Sonic gameplay but with better levels, less jank, and a return to the Chao Garden.
Fuck Boost shit
>>
>/v/ - SFGHQ General
>>
File: 1498174296476.png (281KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1498174296476.png
281KB, 750x750px
>>382719627
>Sonic Adventure 2 style
>not vastly superior SA1 style
I wish we had a game that took advantage of his stupidly broken spin dash in that game.
>>
>>382720994
>superior SA1 style
Yeah I love careening off the map every two seconds because Sonic's too fast for the level design even without spin dash
>>
>>382721107
Never happened to me.
>>
>>382721464
You likely haven't played the game in a while. The very first level has several spots where you can fall under the path and other places can send you flying off just from running.
>>
>>382716438
Sonic Unleashed had some sort of charm that's not present in the current games. Hell, these 2D sections aren't even jarring at all. If they hadn't spent the time to make Werehog stages and just focused on more day stages, it would be one of the best Sonic games.
>>
File: 1497137861138.gif (951KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1497137861138.gif
951KB, 625x625px
Just have 2 series.
>2D games developed by Mania team.
>3D games developed by Sonic Team that go back to the Adventure style story, and gameplay but with polish. It's the closest we've got to Classic style gameplay in 3D.
Before you reply, let me explain
>Sonic actually has momentum
>When he rolls down a slope he gains speed and vice versa
>Spin dashing up and jumping off a slope allows you to gain massive height, just like in the 2D games
>SA1 Sonic levels should be used as examples, since they focused on exploration instead of just going fast, as opposed to SA2's hallways.
>>
>>382722965
>It's the closest we've got to Classic style gameplay in 3D.
ackshully...
>>
File: 1461728587182.png (937KB, 2880x1216px) Image search: [Google]
1461728587182.png
937KB, 2880x1216px
>>
>>382717051
I understand that, and multiple paths would be appreciated. Speed Highway, however, suffers from being a SA1 level. The physics are very janky while SA2 physics are more solid. Multiple paths would be appreciated but in SA2, it's all about completing the level, which are basically obstacle courses, as fast as you can and in style, racking up the points for an A rank. The level ate streamlined to reflect thar design philosophy. It gives you a reason to improve and work out the fastest way to beat the course while being flashy, doing tricks and killing enemies in chains.
>>
>>382722931
The fact is that those sections aren't even really 2D, it's behind the back.
>>
>>382723161
What?
>>
boost should be used like in rush to skillfully navigate a tight level faster, not like in unleashed to go along a looong straight track, which is expensive to develop for and not fun
>>
>>382718763

>What's the appeal of Sonic Heroes?

Well, the Team Mechanics.
>>
Basically that one fan demonstration that was essentially Sonic with the structure of Super Mario 64 but it controlled like delicious buttered biscuits and is the only tolerable 3D Sonic game I have ever played.
I forget the name.

It will likely never be picked up for an actual installment because Sonic Team is unmitigated fucking trash being fueled by an autistic fanbase with the taste of a starving goat.
>>
File: fast erection switch.jpg (921KB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
fast erection switch.jpg
921KB, 2160x3840px
Run fast
Egg blast
>>
File: 2dd (1).jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2dd (1).jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>382723324
>>
>>382723324
Why do you post this shit in every thread?
>>
File: ebaumsworld.png (110KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
ebaumsworld.png
110KB, 500x383px
>>382726854
iunno man
>>
>>382723324
>>382727072
You should really consider suicide
>>
File: 1461191187608.png (78KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1461191187608.png
78KB, 342x342px
>>382727072
>>
>>382724498
He's probably referring to Sonic Utopia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZgk8gJc6g
>>
>>382727523
but then who would post these images
>>
File: 1462559750775.gif (936KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1462559750775.gif
936KB, 500x348px
I mean there's already Mania but i do have a 3D sonic mechanic that i'd love to see be revamped, I mean i have the power to make it possible but i'm procrastinating anyway.

>A 3D Sonic Game that has a revamped homing attack that allows you to slow down before the moment of impact in order to launch in momentum to another enemy, sorta like witch time but meant to keep you moving, oh and homing attack chains will purely be based on player skill.

I don't know, i don't really care what playstyle this occurs in.
>>
>>382727771
nothing of value would be lost. kill yourself
>>
>>382682320
Sonic Generations 2
>>
>>382729376
your mean
>>
File: blaze_fire_by_strunton-dabpjy3.jpg (95KB, 800x593px) Image search: [Google]
blaze_fire_by_strunton-dabpjy3.jpg
95KB, 800x593px
>>382682320
I'd just like to see a game with Blaze as a playable character again. And they should take advantage of her pyrokinesis and allow you to do cool shit like fire projectiles.
>>
>>382729621
His mean what, Anon? His mean words? His mean face?
>>
File: 1498382787737.png (4MB, 2129x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1498382787737.png
4MB, 2129x1031px
>>382697476
If you're still here, I am curious: How do you guys plain on addressing the issue of set pieces and being able to stay on/inside them without the need for scripted events? I felt like the "guard rails" on the corkscrews were merely place holders and most likely not what you consider to be an ideal solution.

The only thing I can thing of is either A) tightening the controls of Sonic to a point where you wouldn't need to worry about flying out of set pieces prematurely, B) making the set pieces large/wide enough to leave room for error (which strikes me as a somewhat lazy solution), or C) and this is probably going to trigger a lot of people, but-- why not have a dedicated "lock in" button that essentially keeps Sonic on track while maintaining his momentum naturally throughout the set piece? Like, if you stop halfway through a corkscrew while holding the "lock in" button, you'll still fall out as you should regardless. This would also allow the player to decide when and where they want to get off of set pieces, and maybe perform some neat tricks like flying out of the cork screw and launching themselves to places they wouldn't normally be able to reach. I'm thinking like a trigger button or something similar so it doesn't intrude on the more often used buttons and the player doesn't get confused.

Ideally, option A) would be the simplest solution, and I'd understand if C) is too radical or intrusive on what you're trying to accomplish here. (Though I feel it still it's in line with the "give the player complete and total control" philosophy, rather than just having it "lock" you in automatically like a Sonic Team game.) Some might say C) undermines the whole "being good at platforming to gain speed" thing, but I dunno. Whenever I play a Sonic game, I feel like I shouldn't be worrying about whether or not I can actually stay inside a loop or set piece if I know I have enough momentum to clear it going into it.
>>
>>382730181
his mean package
>>
File: 1492135040163.png (34KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1492135040163.png
34KB, 200x200px
>>382682320
One that is spectacularly disappointing in such a fresh way that the sonic community goes into overdrive discussing and creating new content about how they've been hosed.
I feel for you guys, but your pain and the path the franchise has taken are both extremely entertaining.
>>
>>382716438
Still pretty 2D my man.
>>
>>382734247
You're blind and possibly retarded
>>
>>382734305
So i'm blind and possibly retard for seeing that the 2D sections, despite having the camera slightly tilted at a different angle, are still 2D?
>>
>>382682320
Generations modern gameplay with playable friends.

We know tails and knuckles can run as fast as sonic. Just throw in their respective gimmick and we're set
>>
>>382734401
Yes, because the point wasn't whether or not they counted as 2D, but the way Unleashed did 2D in levels were a lot more fluid with the 3D and not jarring transitions like Generations, Colors, Lost World, and Forces. The camera being tilted is the main difference.
>>
File: 2014-06-10_00006.jpg (412KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-10_00006.jpg
412KB, 1440x900px
>>382734459
>Tails can fly
There's a Generations mod that allows you to play as Tails where his air-boost has a bunch of upward force in an attempt to recreate his flying ability. Play this and you'll see why simply saying
>Just throw in their respective gimmick
doesn't work. Tails' ability to fly completely breaks everything.
>>
>>382730214
Not everything has been determined yet, but there will be a combination; improved controls, guard rails and increased widths will be employed, but not all the same with everything. Different set pieces will have different means. Factors such as nature of the set piece and level difficulty will play a part. Any forms of scripting or artificial guiding will be avoided where possible. Subsequent demos and player feedback will help determine what's needed.
A "lock in" button is too heavy handed. I have ideas for more subtle approaches.
>>
Chao. Gardens.
>>
I'm still waiting for Sonic Team to make a good 3D Sonic game.
>>
File: 1492135996534.jpg (406KB, 703x540px) Image search: [Google]
1492135996534.jpg
406KB, 703x540px
>>382737432
How about
>I'm still waiting for Sonic Team to make a 3D Sonic game.
Thread posts: 205
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.