[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you think of SOMA?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: somatitle.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
somatitle.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
What did you think of SOMA?
>>
Pretentious crap
>>
Loved it, even with the complaints I have about the game I really don't even think they're worth making a fuss about since the team that made it is like 20 people.
>>
>>382667897
Good story, but the gameplay failed. They should've left out the awkward monster moments and just focused on the experience.
>>
Incredible setting and atmosphere but i'm completely done with the horrible hide and seek babby stealth.
>>
Would've been amazing if the main character was better written or silent.

Dude ruins any and all immersion.
>>
Masterpiece
>>
>>382667897
Silly waste of time. Whoever wrote it lived too sheltered a life. His idea of what's "scary" is fucking nothing.
>>
>>382668303
But anon, he's well written
>>
File: 1499060549949.jpg (38KB, 510x498px) Image search: [Google]
1499060549949.jpg
38KB, 510x498px
>>382667897
I had a lot of fun with it but the game felt like it was horror just because that's what Frictional makes.

The actual horror aspects are just stealth sections against enemies with a singular gimmick, and oddly enough the by-far easiest enemy to get around (Proxies) is the one used the most. Soma gets brownie points for not having any jump scares. Though, I did jump a few times by turning my camera at the exact moment I get killed (the transforming and sprinting enemy got me this way). I'm not sure the game would feel as satisfying if there was no horror element, but what's there is weirdly half baked. The glitchy and spooky images that appear when you die just felt desperate. I will concede that during the final section of the game, 3000 meters down, I got legitimately scared. Props for that one, Soma!

As for the story, I liked it a lot and enjoyed playing with robo-Simon. Few problems:
>Simon getting extremely pissed that he isn't on the ARK despite the fact that the same thing happened literally an hour ago
>All the audio logs had very indistinct personalities and voices to the point that I never really got a sense of what was going on
>WAU might just be the most underdeveloped bad guy in any horror game. I still don't understand how the hell it made metal cancer grow everywhere
>Felt like a plot twist about Catherine being some evil or uncaring fuck was being set up but nothing really came of it
>Simon takes being a robot surprisingly well
>Simon takes the shrieking abominations trying to kill him surprisingly well
>Simon takes bodies being attached to wannabe Gore Nests (why were those even there, anyway?) surprisingly well

Good game. I really feel bad for all those let's players having to fake being terrified and screaming when they're playing a game that hardly even tries to be scary.
>>
Kind of boring as a stealth game, fun as a walking simulator. Good story.
>>
>>382669310
Oh, and it wasn't particularly scary, but it was much more interesting and engaging than the other games these guys madae.
>>
Probably the only game i have ever played where i looked forward to the walking sim sections and got annoyed at a lot of the gameplay parts. If they had just managed to improve thegameplay a little bit it would have been a really amazing 10/10 game. As it stands its just really good.
>>
the beginning scared the crap out of me, the rest of the game was kinda spooky until you got to the deep part
>>
Really good, until for whatever reason about half way through I went from about 30 fps with decent graphics to 8 fps even after putting everything on the lowest settings. I don't know what the fuck happened because it was fine up until right after the second ocean walk.
Anyone know what the fuck happened?
>>
>>382669264
I am really curious about what frictional is currently making, they are working on two projects.

one of which is a non horror game.
>>
>>382669264
>I still don't understand how the hell it made metal cancer grow everywhere
it was the machine gel or whatever, the WAU made it burst out of the pipes and expanded itself because the stuff is literally magic nanomachines
>>
>>382667897
Great story by vidya standards, shitty gameplay

Overall worth a play just for the story, but the useless monster sections are meh
>>
The enemy encounters were bad and it sucked when they put documents/logs in parts where you couldn't really stop. Otherwise I enjoyed it. Loved the setting.
>>
>>382669264
>bodies being attached to wannabe Gore Nests (why were those even there, anyway?)
I think this was touched on in the one dudes voicelogs, that makes you feed your arm to the WAU - it was left as caretaker for the survivors but for whatever reason decided to simplify its task of keeping the humans alive, by basically integrating them into its machine. That's what I got out of it anyways
>>
>>382669085

> Goes to get a brain scan on a normal day in the city
> Wakes up in an underwater nightmare world
> Doesn't have a complete mental breakdown and instead acts like he's stumbled onto a fun adventure

I think the story could've been salvaged if the main character was established as someone who had worked at the facility earlier. That would make his lack of a mental breakdown far more believable.
>>
>>382669936
Do note that robo simon was made with an prototype scan and also of a damaged brain.
>>
>>382670007
You could probably explain away his behavior with some mental gymnastics once you know the entire story of the game, but that doesn't really salvage the initial experience.
>>
File: 1335976871055.jpg (29KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1335976871055.jpg
29KB, 200x200px
>>382669936
I was fine with it because at least Simon was consistent in that he really didn't seem to give a fuck about anything in PATHOS-II no matter how horrible.
>>382669781
Must have missed that log. Speaking of, however, who in the actual fuck was the guy who makes you feed your arm to WAU? I didn't know his name, didn't know what he did, and he was set up as a hallucination that pops in an out of reality.
>>382669585
I'll only really care if it's scifi, Frictional's spooky castle bullshit can get fucked
>>382669613
Really weird they had to try so hard to make the environment scary. You'd think a destroyed underwater station would be enough.
>>
>>382670384
I thought penumbra was interesting.

amnesia was meh
>>
>>382670384
He was someone from station Alpha where the WAU core was, he realized it changed for the worse over time as caretaker and made the other people create the gel that can kill it, however for whatever reason they didnt give it to him but locked it away - that the one you used to make your new body, so youre poisonous to the WAU, which is whay he tells you in your hallucinations of him.
Its a pretty stupid thing honestly "hey lets make something to stop the WAU from killing all of us and then not use it"
>>
>>382667897
it didn't really go anywhere interesting with the philosophical quandaries, pretty much making the whole game a waste of time.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.