[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one is better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16

File: hl.png (616KB, 604x424px) Image search: [Google]
hl.png
616KB, 604x424px
Which one is better?
>>
>>382652387
The orange box.
>>
>>382652451
This is the only correct answer.
>>
>>382652387
first one
>>
>>382652387
First one has actually aged better
>>
>>382652387
Half Life 1 by far.
Half Life 2 forced the story telling too much and had shit gunplay by comparison
>>
>>382652387
They both suck ass.
>>
>>382654224
I find that HL2 is better because the storytelling makes you more immersed and the graphics are cooler, but that's your opinion
>>
File: FULLY.jpg (845KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
FULLY.jpg
845KB, 1920x1200px
DOKTOR FREEMANT I PREZUME
>>
>>382654589
>muscular tummy
>no vagina bones
D R O P P E D
>>
>>382654589
looks awful
>>
Replaying HL1 recently and I realized how much fun they toned down on in the sequel. What happened to the giant variety of weapons and explosions?
>>
>>382654861
>"Muh realism" was a mistake
But in Valve's case it was probably their retarded playtesters
>>
>>382654861
HL2 was gutted during development.
>>
>>382652387
Half-Life 2
>>
>>382654462
Being locked in rooms while NPCs talk makes replaying it not as much fun.
However the world and style of Half Life 2 is a lot better than HL1.
>>
ITT
>A bunch of teenagers not old enough to have played either when they came out
>>
>>382655174
I'm 31, I still remember kids talking about Half-Life back when it first came out. Though I couldn't play it myself because I had a 75 mhz computer.
>>
>>382655174
Me and my 2 bros had pentium II plugged on a hub and we played deathmatch all days in our basement. This and starcraft II, UT, Quake 3, AOE2, etc.
>tfw modern games can't be played offline lan anymore
>>
HL1>HL2
Halo 2>Halo
HL1>Halo
Halo 2>HL2
>>
>>382655890
>tfw modern games can't be played offline lan anymore
video games are meant to be a social experience with a serious competitive always online matchmaking community silly. remember to open your daily loot chest!
>>
>>382655890
>starcraft II
fuck
>>
>>382656024
>Halo
This is the kind of poster that prefers HL1 to HL2
>>
HL1, because cs 1.5/1.6 was the shit
>>
>>382656303
cs was for babies who couldn't into hldm or tfc
>>
File: 5495f65f2b79e.jpg (109KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
5495f65f2b79e.jpg
109KB, 1024x683px
Half Life Oposing Force
>>
>>382656282
Because HL1 had more weapon variety and more satisfying gunplay? No stupid metrocop or soldier AI?
>>
>>382656453
This.
>>
>>382654861
The Combine confiscated them. And by "the Combine" I mean "Valve after being butthurt over the leak"
>>
I just finished HL1 and I can tell you it sucks balls.

The pace of the game is horrible.
Game is often just trial and error.
You enter a room, there's a turret that oneshots you, you leave the room, there are two turrets that do the same.

In hl2 I barely used save/load, and the game still felt challenging.
The gunplay, the level design, enemies, even though they were less varied had way better ai, and killing them was just more fun.

I don't get nostalgiafags who think hl1 is better.
>>
>>382656453
/thread
>>
>>382652387
Black Mesa
>>
>>382656453
This. Opposing Force > HL1 > HL2.

HL2 catches too much shit though. It's not a revolutionary game but it is a damn good one. Episode 1 and 2 are also on par with HL1 imo.
>>
>engine physics the game vs a real game
>>
>>382652387
Hl2 has better story telling, but hl1 is always exciting to go through again. It really is a fantastic game.
>>
>>382657230
Hl2 just has more words.
>>
>hey gaben how are we going to make a sequel to your critically acclaimed alien fps?
>make the game about a dystopian future ruled by an advanced alien civilization
>make 90% of the "aliens" humans with spooky robot voices and facemasks
>the main antagonist is a human
>the final boss is 2 generic gunship enemies you've seen and killed a million times
>cut all of the aliens from the first game except 2
>add antlions which is one of the slowest and most boring chapters of the game
>add shitty driving section
>cut all of the cool experimental and alien weapons from the first game
>replace with a stronger SMG with a better alt fire
>add the gravity gun which is cool but quickly becomes stale and is basically a gimmick for the physics engine
>much like ravenholm
>allies go from expendable companions with incentive to keeping them alive (help, opening locked doors and secret weapon caches) to invincible and protecting them is inconsequential
>everyone apparently survived black mesa's invasion and a fucking nuke and everyone knows Dr. Freeman
>game throws literally whos at you with the excuse that "you probably don't remember me" or "hey im generic scientist man from the first game remember??" or "im the black scientists lol"
>dialogue is corny, many of it is memeshit like "lol gordon no speak haha" or "lol crowbar haha" or "lol buy you beer haha"
>forced dialogue
>forced storytelling
>scripted sequences
basically this shit put into motion everything that is plaguing modern vidya. at least we go TF2 out of it.
>>
>>382657535
>we go TF2 out of it.
TF2 is shit
>>
>>382656453
This
Variety of new weapons and enemies made this the pinnacle.
>>
I think both have good and bad parts and are equal in my eyes.

I think the weapons and enemy selection was better in the first game, but the levels, story, and overall design was better in the second.

I also thought that HL1 went to shit when Xen happened, and the fight against the final boss was just tedious. HL2 felt a bit more consistent all around, and the physics really added a lot to the game. Only parts I hated in HL2 is when you had moments where you had to hold off a bunch of enemies until the plot progressed (The episodes were worse about that). Even though a lot of people like to shit on the vehicle sections, I had a lot of fun with them.
>>
>>382657821
I will never get why Valve didn't make TFC free alongside 2
>>
>>382652387

HL1 unless you're an underage faggot
>>
>>382656925
Having played HL1 from start to finish at least 100 times, there is no turret that one shots the player ever. So my question now is what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>382656024
Halo 1 is overrated, but good. That part called "I would have been your daddy" that's just a slog through the same rooms with different copy and pasted aliens placed around sporadically is goddamn horrible. They actually put arrows on the ground so the player doesn't get lost running around in these rooms. They also fuck up and don't give you decent guns, so the big open area after this can be a raging pain in the ass.

That, plus the two weapon limit, plus the segments that spawn enemies behind you, plus how retarded tanky elites are on Legendary kind of drag the game down for me.

>>382657535
The biggest issue with HL2 is the gunplay, they give you a lot of guns that only work well in close to medium range and make you fight armored enemies in medium long range combat for a large portion of the game. They took most of the guns from HL1 and dropped them into 2, but HL1 had much closer engagement ranges overall and HL2 has a lot of open area combat against soldiers. it really feels like they didn't fully think through how the guns were going to work in the new environment, and they just went "well people liked HL1, so copy that aspect of it".

This, and they made the starting pistol complete garbage and the SMG a spammy low damage cone of fire weapon that just isn't enjoyable to use, and they make the SMG the work horse weapon you will be using for most of the game. I enjoy HL2 a lot but there's no denying it has serious issues when it comes to gunplay that 1 did better.
>>
>>382658909
>Halo 1 is overrated, but good. That part called "I would have been your daddy" that's just a slog through the same rooms with different copy and pasted aliens placed around sporadically is goddamn horrible. They actually put arrows on the ground so the player doesn't get lost running around in these rooms. They also fuck up and don't give you decent guns, so the big open area after this can be a raging pain in the ass.

Sums up my thoughts on Halo 1 well enough.
>That, plus the two weapon limit
What about it?
>plus the segments that spawn enemies behind you
I'm running through a legendary playthrough right now and I'm not seeing this quite yet.
> plus how retarded tanky elites are on Legendary kind of drag the game down for me.
Plasma pistol charged shot.
>>
Black Mesa: Source
>>
>>382656925
Despite the content cuts, Xen was interesting and unique.
Combine however ended up as generic StateSec.
The ball was dropped hard on Half Life 2 in respect to aesthetics.
Half Life had
>Mamma Headcrab
>CLANK CLANK CLANK
>Space Shark
>The Big Purple Guy with flamethrower arms
As bosses.
Half Life 2 had
>Helicopter
>Space Helicopter
>Strider
>And Special guest, Arachnids from planet Klendathu
You look at the cut content and it just hurts.
What hurts more however is that in 13 years not one mod actually picked up the concept and brought it trough to end.
There was never a Sven COOP of Half Life 2.
>>
>>382656453
Opposing Force fags are super hipsters. Half-Life 1 is a far, far superior and more complete game. OF had some cool additional inclusions, but you know it can't touch the original.
>>
>>382659407
>What hurts more however is that in 13 years not one mod actually picked up the concept and brought it trough to end.

At least there's a very active community constantly finding and fixing new things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTtDk3mNDE

Check out this channel in general
>>
>>382659407
>There was never a Sven COOP of Half Life 2

What were Obsidian Conflict and Synergy then? Obviously they weren't as big as Sven, but still
>>
File: Art-gordon-greybg.jpg (143KB, 294x704px) Image search: [Google]
Art-gordon-greybg.jpg
143KB, 294x704px
HL1>OPFOR>Episode 2>HL2>Episode 1>Blue Shift
>>
File: 1489004834555.jpg (57KB, 960x949px) Image search: [Google]
1489004834555.jpg
57KB, 960x949px
>>382654861
>>382655010
The Half-Life 2 Beta shows that during development they had made SO much more content planned but never released. The final HL2, while good, is just sort of a gutted out husk of what it could have been.
The Half-Life 2 Beta had:
>HMGs
>AK-47s
>an Ice Axe
>the actual fucking laser cannon that the Strider fires but portable
>a corrosive laser gun
>mines
>laser tripwires
>the ability to pick up headcrabs and throw them at enemies
>the sniper rifle the Combine Sniper uses
...And that's just what people have been able to recover from the source code.
>>
>>382659407
>There was never a Sven COOP of Half Life 2.
Obsidian Conflict and Synergy.

>>382659657
Are they just tinkering with things or are they actively working to restore these to the base game, or perhaps reconstructing the base game?
>>
>>382659030
>What about it?

I don't think it works well for a single player game. In the multiplayer it makes total sense, but in single player you're often fairly gimped because the game just isn't giving you the weapons you need.

>I'm running through a legendary play through right now and I'm not seeing this quite yet.

It happens once on that first Covenant ship you board, you go on this narrow ledge and it spawns enemies in front and behind you. There's also another part right after you upload Cortana to the ring's mainframe, it spawns those lazer guys behind you and elites in front of you.

>Plasma pistol charged shot.

yeah, but you still need to follow up with a pistol round, and if you have a power weapon you're pretty much forced to burn its ammo to deal with elites.

>>382659628
What does HL1 do better that Op For? I haven't completely played through either in a while but I remember enjoying Op For more overall. Also Op For on hard is fucking brutal, like goddamn.
>>
>>382660021
To be fair most games "had" a ton of content before release. It's just programmers and designers experimenting by constantly making and discarding shit.

>>382660117
>Are they just tinkering with things or are they actively working to restore these to the base game, or perhaps reconstructing the base game?

Base game? no. We're just restoring shit in it's original engine and original form. There's another team within our community that is making a full mod of the old storyline on the orange box engine, but I just find happiness when I can restore a map or a feature to full working condition and show it to the people. Here's a map from 20001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Wm8Xm4k8I

Obviously it's running on 2003 engine (we don't have 2001 engine) so it would have looked/sounded/felt a bit different in actual 2001. But it's still interesting to note how there's no props and stuff.
>>
>>382659407
And hl1 had good bosses?
Fighting them was just abusing their pathings and covers.
Xen was fps platforming, on the raild was absolutely dreadful
I don't remember a single fun and memorable level in the game.
>>
>>382660021
molotov cocktails
>>382660175
final boss
opfor just had you kill him with free mounted guns
>>
>>382660175
>I don't think it works well for a single player game. In the multiplayer it makes total sense, but in single player you're often fairly gimped because the game just isn't giving you the weapons you need.
Halo's arsenal of weapons is small enough that I feel this criticism doesn't hold much water. What it DOES do is open up a different criticism. On legendary the most viable combo I have is the pistol and the plasma pistol. Charge shot to disable shield, human pistol to finish them off. The human pistol and plasma pistol can be swapped for the plasma rifle for similar optimal results. This leaves out the AR, needler. You'll have the sniper and shotgun, but those weapons show up rarely. What I'm saying is it pigeonholes your play style. Thankfully those lovely bunch of guys are remaking Halo 1 for free and adding a shitton of weapons.
>It happens once on that first Covenant ship you board, you go on this narrow ledge and it spawns enemies in front and behind you. There's also another part right after you upload Cortana to the ring's mainframe, it spawns those lazer guys behind you and elites in front of you.
I'll be on the lookout, thanks.
>and if you have a power weapon you're pretty much forced to burn its ammo to deal with elites.
Eh then you just swap man. But again this goes into pigeonholing play style. You really oughta check this out, they've got all the levels except 343 Guilty Spark and The Maw up for download:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXID-NFobCA
>>
>>382660531
Godspeed and thank you for restoring these. Do you know if that other team is making any good headway? Or is it a pipe dream? Also, did you do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmySj1j7eKk
>>
File: XA.jpg (51KB, 385x407px) Image search: [Google]
XA.jpg
51KB, 385x407px
>>382660531
>that door sound on 0:58
>falling chimney is just an opening door
>>
>>382660738
You know how mods can just die, so I can't promise anything, but the actual quality and authenticity will be top-notch. It's currently completed up to the canals. It's not the oldest story version with toxic skies and gasmasks, but a mix of the concepts around 2002-2003.
>>
>>382660175
>What does HL1 do better that Op For?

Memorable moments from Half-Life 1
>The immediate aftermath of the resonance cascade
>Going to Xen and being able to long-jump
>The building that is completely full of laser tripmines
>Powering up the rails and escaping the gargantua shooting flames
>Launching the rocket during the night
>Finding the crossbow and using it on the ichthyosaur
>Escaping the helicopter during the canyon
To hell with it. The whole thing is memorable.

Memorable moments in Opposing Force
>Fighting the black op assassins, but not as good
>The part that was similar to Questionable Ethics, but way more linear, simple, and not as interesting
>Um, how about the tentacle fight, which, again, wasn't as good
>The annoying fight in the sewers?
>Getting to see the dam from the original game, again but from the other side
Face it, the Opposing Force set pieces aren't nearly as complete and polished. Yes, it has new weapons and enemies, but so did Half-Life 1.
>>
File: Antlion_King_concept.jpg (362KB, 550x503px) Image search: [Google]
Antlion_King_concept.jpg
362KB, 550x503px
>>
>>382661350
You forgot getting to walk around areas Gordon passed by on the train ride and warping to HL1's training level
>>
File: Alien_Combine_Soldier.jpg (892KB, 700x841px) Image search: [Google]
Alien_Combine_Soldier.jpg
892KB, 700x841px
>>
File: Combine_Assassin.jpg (74KB, 414x735px) Image search: [Google]
Combine_Assassin.jpg
74KB, 414x735px
>>
>>382661552
>all we know about the combine race is that they're space slugs with phsycic powers

Some standard, low cast soldiers of the same race would have been awesome. Or just more foot soldiers of alien races, the Hunters are a fucking amazing addition to the enemies in HL2, but we could have started with that and could of had even more enemies.
>>
File: TF2 1999 hud.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
TF2 1999 hud.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>
File: ep2_diagram.jpg (809KB, 2288x1712px) Image search: [Google]
ep2_diagram.jpg
809KB, 2288x1712px
>>382661782
Advisors are slaves just like humans. Marc wrote about them on his twitter.

Original race is either unknown or lost to time. They also don't know how most of their tech works because it has been so long since they developed it.
>>
>>382660531
Are you from the Russian team, GabeN or Missing Information?
Or are you from somewhere else?
>>382660738
If it isn't Team GabeN's build, it'll all be a pipedream. They practically restored the entire fucking thing even the most abstract and fragmented shit from the source code.
http://www.teamgaben.com/images/index.php/Half-Life_2
http://slkandy.com/filez/index.php/HL2
>>
>>382660021
the leak that happened made it on the news i was watching
pretty funny but the game was impressing people with just bouncing buckets around and floating things on water
>>
File: first headcrab concept.jpg (110KB, 960x748px) Image search: [Google]
first headcrab concept.jpg
110KB, 960x748px
>>382661983
Are you from the Russian team, GabeN or Missing Information?

The one that owns the youtube channel and hl2-beta ru
>>
>>382659628
I wouldn't say HL1 is far superior but I enjoyed it more. It's more cohesive experience. I guess if you value ONLY gunplay and gameplay OpFor does have better enemy variety and some really cool guns.
>>
>>382661983
>If it isn't Team GabeN's build, it'll all be a pipedream. They practically restored the entire fucking thing even the most abstract and fragmented shit from the source code.

What did they restore, exactly? I don't see anything relatively new in those screenshots.
>>
>>382661350
Don't forget being captured by the HECU and escaping the garbage pit.
>>
>>382656453
>gearcucks
>>
>>382654589
FULLY
MODELED
FERNS
>>
>>382661683
>one of the most fun enemies to fight in HL1
>made some areas super scary
>lol nah fuck including them

>>382661968
Odd, the term "advisor" doesn't really convey a slave. I figured they were the race controlling the upper tier of the combine empire. Either way, I just wish they played it less safe with HL2.

>>382660021
Can't remember, but weren't those tripmines/C4 things in HL2 deathmatch? They look familiar.
>>
File: chrome_2017-07-03_17-05-24.png (12KB, 580x101px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-07-03_17-05-24.png
12KB, 580x101px
>>382662782
>Odd, the term "advisor" doesn't really convey a slave. I figured they were the race controlling the upper tier of the combine empire. Either way, I just wish they played it less safe with HL2.

They're like upper managers of a particular branch. They have more power than anyone else on earth but still, their race was enslaved once. It's not like combine elite would waste their time to personally live on some shithole earth. Go read @BreenGrub from start to finish, it's a "fan fiction" by Marc about what happened to Breen after his mind was transported into a host body (long before the ending of hl2). I consider it canon because it wasn't disproven officially in any game, it makes sense and it's written by the main writer of the game.

And like I said, combine are just like cancer. Not like the empire in star wars, but just a mechanism that conquers because it's the only thing it can do. I doubt the chain of command ends anywhere at all.
>>
>>382663364

link
>>
>>382663491
@BreenGrub on Twitter. Remember to read it from bottom to top.

Here's the summary if the original text is too confusing, but it's definitely worth the read.

lambdageneration com/discussion/half-life/5-intriguing-things-breengrub-teaches-us-about-the-half-life-saga/
>>
Half-Life 1 is the only HL game I like to play every year, I don't care much for HL2.
>>
>>382663742

thanks
>>
>>382661456
>>382661552
>>382661683
HL2 truly has the most interesting cut-content of any game. I wish they would just fucking finish it already.
>>
>>382652387
Half Life is a fun game.
Half Life 2 feels like it just exists to demo their physics engine, also it has terrible levels design. Pretty level design that is really good at tricking you into this being an actual world, but it is terrible in play.

>1st game plays nearly like a 3D Resident Evil
>2nd game is just "hey walk forward and wait for a bunch of cinematic shit to start also here are some driving segments because we got lazy and wanted to distract you from how linear and hallway-like our game is. ALSO WE HAVE A PHYSICS ENGINE and no ending!!"
>>
>>382665180
>like a 3D Resident Evil
what
>>
File: 5-0.png (800KB, 990x716px) Image search: [Google]
5-0.png
800KB, 990x716px
>>382665180
>1st game plays nearly like a 3D Resident Evil
>>
>>382660021
Some beta footage also showed that you could barricade doors with furniture to stop Combine from pursuing you. In final game It doesn't matter what you put against doors, if enemies open them shit gets pushed away.
>>
>>382652387
Opposing Force
>>
>>382661983
>They practically restored the entire fucking thing even the most abstract and fragmented shit from the source code.
Are they gonna release it in playable format someday?
>>382660935
>but the actual quality and authenticity will be top-notch
I hope it comes out someday, man. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>382660021
The vast majority of "cut content" in the leak were from different stages of development (which took 5-6 years total) and/or were just one-off experiments that got left in the game files. Most of that shit didn't end up in the final game for a reason.
>>
>>382665358
>>382665439
>HL1
>A complex design of connected halls and rooms in a lab-like facility that require exploration, backtracking, killing monsters and flipping switches to progress

>HL2
>Run from one set piece too the other
>>
>>382666752
HL2 is definitely structured more linearly, but you're really being hyperbolic about HL1. Blast Pit and On A Rail are the only parts of the game that even come close to your description.
>>
>>382661350
I see that you left out incinerating the Blast Pit alien with a rocket engine
>>
>>382665696
>Some beta footage also showed that you could barricade doors with furniture to stop Combine from pursuing you. In final game It doesn't matter what you put against doors, if enemies open them shit gets pushed away.

That's a scripted fake, just like all hl2 e3 videos.
>>
>>382652387
I played Ep 1 last night. How do people tolerate this series? You slide around like you're on ice skates, nothing has any weight, even heavy objects just bounce around, and the damage output by the troopers is through the roof.
>>
>>382665887
It was always playable. The GabeN Team disbanded after the build was made, one of the members hosted a download for the full build on megaupload, and we all know what happened to that.
>>382665951
Of course, I can totally see why it didn't make it, Valve was already behind schedule and they didn't want to risk going into development hell, plus the original vision seemed overwhelmingly creatively confused and bloated.
A lot of this shit didn't test well at all, too.
>>
>>382668290
>and the damage output by the troopers is through the roof.

lmao
>>
>>382668290
>the damage output by the troopers is through the roof
ur bad
>>
>>382654224
HL1 has one of the worst shooting and controls i've seen in a FPS
>>
File: 1452519595898.gif (3MB, 304x376px) Image search: [Google]
1452519595898.gif
3MB, 304x376px
>mfw I played the PS2 version of HL1 and the PS3 Orange Box

Games are so much better with a proper controller.
>>
>>382669469

HL1 source controls way differently from HL1 proper
>>
>>382668647
>>382669305
When I was escorting those peons at the end I got downed in 2 hits from some guy coming around the corner with no time to react. There's no way to defend this.
>>
>>382670147
Peons? What? This is not Warcraft.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.