[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brutal (no bullshit) puzzle games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: spacechem.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spacechem.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
I like me a puzzle game with brutally hard difficulty, multi-hour long solutions and no bullshit like incomprehensible adventure game puzzles.

Spacechem filled that itch. Presumably the other zachtronics games will. What other choices are there?
>>
>>382625923
>>
>>382628240
While TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O are closer to straight up programming (and thus being a job), Spacechem definitely isn't.
>>
Advance Wars games are basically puzzle games. Fixed enemy and allied starting units, fixed enemy strategies (reliant on your actions).

But really, just install unity and just like make game
>>
>>382628474
Spacechem is 100% the same programming and requires the same skills that i'd rather spend on work.

it is just wrapped in slightly different 2d graphics wrapper so you shallowly can't recognise at first.
>>
>>382628856
I made a bejewelled clone with Python once. Actually one of the first things I programmed.

Making a good puzzle game is primarily a game design problem first and a programming problem second, unless of course it's a clone.
>>
>>382625923
Keeper for SNES (Think Sokoban + Sliding Puzzle + Match 3 games)
>>
>>382625923
>I like me a puzzle game with brutally hard difficulty, multi-hour long solutions and no bullshit like incomprehensible adventure game puzzles
>brutally hard difficulty
>multi-hour long solutions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_mathematics
>>
>>382625923
>>382625923
>I like me a puzzle game with brutally hard difficulty
Spacechem isn't even a puzzle game because a puzzle implies that there creator has designed it with the thought of solution in mind.

Spacechem and the games of that same ilk merely provide problems for programmers to solve and optimise. There is no "chinese box" design where creator puts in his thought on how the each of the layer are meant to be solved.

There are very few puzzle games with actually elobarately designed solutions in mind -- or in fact any puzzle games that put ANY thought to the solution process at all.

Jelly no Puzzle is one of them:

http://avorobey.github.io/jelly/

You solve it by going "backwards" and figuring out what you need to do and how you're going to achieve required positions of the blocks and each step is a logical conclusion of the previous one requiring analytical thought.

Snakebird *pretends* to be one of them, but it's full of segments where you can just move shit left and right and randomly stumble into solution instead of actually thinking through each and every step the entire way.
>>
File: 2015-10-03-14-18-25.gif (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-03-14-18-25.gif
3MB, 853x480px
>>382625923
Inifnifactory is pretty good, an easier spacechem with a lot more room for style and optimisation than just solving the build.
>>
>>382625923
Infiniminer
>>
>>382628474
>Shenzen I/O
Do you have to know programming to play this game? Can it work as an introduction to programming?
>>
>>382625923
I wonder how does he feel whenever someone rub "minecraft inspired by infinimine" on his face
>>
>>382632001
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1493567567354.png (194KB, 799x306px) Image search: [Google]
1493567567354.png
194KB, 799x306px
>>382628240
>Expecting a Zachtronics game to be action-packed
>>
>>382631879
You don't need to know programming or digital logic. It'll help if you are familiar with some concepts, but it's pretty easy to understand the basics.
You can probably find the datasheets for the fake electronic components in the game and you'll see if you need some tutorials or if you're good to go.
I recommend the game even if you're completely unfamiliar with the subject.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.