[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are numales so triggered when you characterize a game as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: Vampyr_cover.jpg (88KB, 590x834px) Image search: [Google]
Vampyr_cover.jpg
88KB, 590x834px
Why are numales so triggered when you characterize a game as "Walking Simulator"? Isn't this a proper name for a ludonarrative experience?
>>
I thought Vampyr was the game that had weird looking Bloodborne rip off combat?
>>
>>382576631
That's Code Vein you're thinking of
>>
>>382576545
>numales
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>382577485
hi numale

how much do you spend on beard (((trimming)))?
>>
>>382577418
Vampyr combat looks like Bloodborne too
>>
>>382577746
>baby mad he can't grow manly beard
>>
>>382576545
What's the difference between a ludonarrative and a regular narrative?
>>
File: 1495235671493.jpg (109KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1495235671493.jpg
109KB, 900x900px
>>382578221
>>baby mad he can't grow manly beard
>>
>>382576631
>western dev
>life is strange dev
>rip off of anything close to bloodborne

it's arkham-lite and lite is used generously
>>
>>382578329
one is an afterthought the other is where the gameplay should be
>>
>>382578759
He is more manly than you ever will be
>>
>>382578980
That isn't a description of a narrative at all. What you said is just incoherent gibberish.
>>
Vampyr does have gameplay though despite it being made by the Max a cute Adventures developers.
>>
>>382578329
The ludonarrative is your experience with the game
Narrative is the story of the game
So in a game like Papers, Please the narrative is you working to keep your family alive
the ludonarrative is the feeling of never ending monotony you feel while you play
>>
>>382578221
I'm mad that numales and hipsters have ruined beards for everyone else
>>
so will the game be filled with gay vampires? will this have it's own "chloe"?
>>
>>382580125
The religion of "peace" ruined them long before numales came along
>>
>>382579201
I did not. But since you bought cheaper tickets to the game of life, I'll make it more accessible: ludonarrative is a term that masquerades lack of well designed gameplay. It is connected with simple verbal/written triggers during a base interactive sequence (usually walking down a corridor in Unreal Engine or Unity), infodumps and simplistic dabbling with complex subjects the writer knows nothing about (be it Quantum Physics, Philosophy or Literary Theory). The fact that people with proper education do not care for video games as a career field boils down to clickbait media (the only video game media as it happens) writing hyperbolic praise to what's essentially a poor man's sitcom of a plot.

If you praise any video game for its writing you have no idea that it only works due to its interactive qualities, visual/sound design and that it does not have a leg to stand on its own.

Numales invented "ludonarrative dissonance" because they were irked that GTA's gameplay has barely any connection with its plot; that it's ludicrous how you mow down pedestrians and still have story cutscenes where you're antihero at best. In other words, ludonarrative was coined by people who hate gameplay as much as they hate their inability to gain employment in fields other than video games which are mainly intended for young consumers using their parents's credit cards.
>>
>>382576545
Why do faggots get so triggered that point and click adventure games removed the point and click?
>>
>>382580210
It will be filled with hamfisted plotlines lifted from 19th century and put throught politically correct rigmarole and shitty combat that's there because they had no idea how to make gameplay. Guy Ritchie made a movie set in Arthurian times where characters look like present day hipsters. Intentionally. These guys did it from oblivion.
>>
>>382580640
Because they don't have a quarter of the writing chops and removed the puzzles.
>>
>>382579968
>The ludonarrative is your experience with the game

"Experience" is the fucking everything. Listen to the music, seeing graphics is an experience, that's an experience. Press a button to make the mario pixel jump on the goomba. Being upset because you mistimed the jump and killed mario or being happy because you succeeded in the jump are both experiences.

I'm having trouble telling to what extent this ludo thing is a sophisticated joke and to what extend it's something defective human beings talk about.
>>
>>382580640
point of click adventures had:

1. state of the art graphic and animation design for
their era, some are timeless
2. good writing
3. oftentimes good puzzles
4. great music

what do walking simulators have? do you think anyone will remember firewatch, dear esther, gone home in a year, not to mention 25+ years when compared to monkey island, grim fandango, sam and max, siberia? millenials do not love anything, it's just hype culture grinding its gears.
>>
>>382579680
They already made an action game (Remember Me).
>>
File: 1494908725626.png (266KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
1494908725626.png
266KB, 600x691px
>>382580125
>>382578759
>being a skinny lanklet
>grow a beard to compensate

lmao, if you are /fit/ you can still grow a beard only empty shirts look retarded if they have one
>>
>>382578221
nu-males can't grow a beard due to severe low testosterone.

They just use rogaine all the time.
>>
>>382580532
>gameplay
Another meaningless, gibberish word. Check out the Wikipedia definition it's hilarious obtuse and self-referencing.

What I think you are saying is that the cutscenes in video games often contradict the interactive parts. For example it is very common for games to have cutscenes where characters lament how violent everything is yet the game is about killing things. For people that think the 'story' matters this upsets them. At the same type you have mentally stunted artfags who think video games should contain philosophy so they can be "smart".

The reason games are not a place for philosophy and science is because if I want to read Nietzsche I'll read Nietzsche. Thus Spoke Zarathustra would gain nothing if ever once in awhile you had to solve a puzzle, do rpg combat, or some first person shooting stuff. Same with a book on astronomy.

However if you name dropped Nietzsche in a video game and throw in some techno-babble than it would impress the mentally retarded. However it offers nothing to someone who just wants his rpg combat, puzzles, and first person shooting.

Is this what you are getting at?
>>
The trouble with walking simulators is that video game already contain walking.

You walk in Resident Evil and Far Cry. But you also do other things.
>>
>>382582085
>gameplay
>meaningless word
>on a video game board
>>
>>382582085
You can fairly summarize my point as follows:

When "gamers" started clamoring for video games to be recognized as art, it meant nothing more than early decadence of a fun media genre and mass influx of normies. Comics used to be fun spandex romps before mass market turned them into grimdark social tales dealing with topic of the day aka takeaway food for normies.

We need to excise normies for video games and this can only be done through destroying the current indie scene, AAA games are lost ever since Ken Levine was let loose.
>>
I just recently replayed the whole Monkey Island franchise, which, quite honestly, can be labeled as a "walking simulator" by today's standards. However, these games feel very different from contemporary indie walking simulators, and I have no idea why. Perhaps it's just nostalgia, but I honestly feel they are better written. It feels as if the devs were legitimately having fun creating those games, and they were doing it for the sake of it, because they loved it, and that was it. They had no illusions of grandeur of trying to create THE ULTIMATE POETIC INTERACTIVE NARRATIVE EXPERIENCE, they just wanted to create a decent and fun story. Monkey Island is a p fucking silly narrative when you look at it, perhaps that's why it works so well. It doesn't try to teach you anything, which doesn't mean you won't learn anything if you feel like learning something from the game. It is what you make of it.
>>
>>382582881
You still have gameplay elements in form of the obtuse as fuck puzzles that are primarily there to pad out the game, really, otherwise you could finish them in what is probably under an hour.
>>
>>382580125
>ruined
>implying a 'real' man would give a fuck and not just get a beard because he likes it
That said my country wasn't that much affected yet by numales and other shit like that
>>
>>382582946
>i make baseless assumptions cause my mind is clouded by memes I see on image boards
>>
>>382583474
>does not disprove anything taking it as just his defining characteristics and just goes on the defensive yet again
As I said. Open book.
>>
>>382582517
I'll give you some common definations of the word and show you how it means nothing

>the tactical aspects of a video game, such as its plot and the way it is played, as distinct from the graphics and sound effects.

>Gameplay is the specific way in which players interact with a game,[1][2] and in particular with video games.[3][4] Gameplay is the pattern defined through the game rules,[2][5] connection between player and the game,[6] challenges[7] and overcoming them,[8] plot[9] and player's connection with it.[6] Video game gameplay is distinct from graphics[9][10] and audio elements

Tactical aspects? There's no tactics in crash bandicoot. "Connection between the player and game" Like the controller? "Pattern defined through the game's rules" As opposed to a pattern defined by something else?

Oh also "plot" is part of it.

These are nonsense definitions. It's a word with a meaning no one can agree the meaning of. Because each person uses the word to mean something different it's pointless for communication. You can only communicate with a word if we are all accepting the same definition.
>>
>>382583612
I disapprove, happy now or will you make more baseless assumptions?
>>
>>382576545
>ludonarrative
oh fuck off you pretentious faggot
>>
>>382582816
Are you familiar with Geneology of the Artfag?

It's written by a certain infamous game critic. I won't say his name because merely doing that on any thread in 4chan will probably cause it to get deleted.

You might like him. He was the first person to write against the "indies" and artfags, started doing it about 10 years ago. He sort of the boogieman of indie-fags and casual gamers. That's the reason even mentioning him will get your thread deleated (or on message boarders get you banned), they hate him that much.
>>
File: maxresdefault (48).jpg (1MB, 3000x2011px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (48).jpg
1MB, 3000x2011px
Never played a point and click game before. Is this a good start.
>>
>>382584265
>Geneology of the Artfag

link

west has some great indies that are rarely promoted by clickbait shills

like the guy that did iji, the guy that notch took gameplay from etc
>>
>>382584451
it's decent but not in terms of dialogue, just the atmosphere

you can try monkey island 1 and maniac mansion if you want the old ones

leisure suit larry if you want really old ones that numales claim to be sexist and doubleplusungood today

if you want top of the line games: grim fandango, sam and max hit the road and ghost trick phantom detective. also phoenix wright (shu takumi is the best designer of point and click adventures).
>>
>>382584265

icycalm did NOTHING wrong

even if his essays on multiplayer and score and beyond retarded
>>
>>382584560
Google it. It will be the first result.

Like I said modds do not want you to know this guy exists. If I linked the website which contains it there is a good chance this thread gets deleted. The guy is saving video games, like he's incredible. I'd recommend reading everything he writes.

Also some advice, do not talk to the guy directly. He is a monster. People have literally created entire websites raging against him because of how badly he kicked their ass.

You should look up the argument he had with jason rohrer too. It's like watching a a man getting eaten alive by a lion.
>>
File: am I an adult yet.jpg (126KB, 801x801px) Image search: [Google]
am I an adult yet.jpg
126KB, 801x801px
Beards were always for faggots. Oh look at my effeminately groomed fecal bacteria face growth.
>>
>>382585673
>culture vg
i remember reading that site years ago i don't think it was very good
>>
>>382586462
I don't think I can really convience you to like it. It's something that I developed a taste for over years. Like at first I thought he had 1 or 2 good ideas and the rest I didn't think much about. Over time I started seeing more and more of his theory as correct. Now I believe his most outrageous claims that his theory will eventually dominate like nothing else. He's directly helped me enjoy games more, mostly by making me enjoy a greater variety of genres and game styles.

His biggest contributions recently are the Genealogy of Artfags, Set Theory and Bastardization, and the incomplete unity theory of aesthetics and mechanics. That's what I'd look at if I were you. They sort of build on his older articles, particularly Complexity, Skill, and Depth.
>>
>>382584265
judging by the article title it's that faggot icycalm so it has fucking nothing worthwhile to say
also lmao at the rest of your post
stop sucking your own dick you bald cunt
>>382585673
seems like the self sucking continues
keep screaming into the void icy, you'll never get the recognition you crave
>>
>>382587383
try reading avatars of story
>>
>>382588229
>All this butt-hurt and paranoid delusions

Did icy piss in your cereal or something.
>>
>>382588290
This looks neat. Could you elaborate on it?
>>
File: 1280x720-rnq.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-rnq.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
>>382576545
>ludo
yet another dumb word that /v/ obsesses over for an entire year, right next to
>kino
>senpai
>cuck
>kek
>wew
>>
>>382576545

THe pronouciation killed this game or me

Vah mpa heur
fucking french faggots learn how to speak wtf is wrong with you.
The whole world pronounce it with I. Its a fucking I not eu, retards
>>
There's not enough games where you are a badass vampire hunter since castlevania died which is way better than actually playing a vampire
>>
>>382589683
>not saying "vuhm-peer" and rolling your tongue at the end
>>
>>382586193
>beards are for faggots
>faggots suck dicks
>woman suck dicks
>woman don't have beards
Hmmm
>>
>>382589683
>El vam-pee-ro
:^)
lots of french people have trouble correctly spelling in english without doing ridiculous accents
>>
>>382589683
Wait, it isn't pronounced as "Vamp-Ear"?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.