[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GTA 4 thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 35

File: maxresdefault.jpg (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
181KB, 1920x1080px
GTA 4 thread.
>>
Here's a courteous bump, because I feel bad for the best GTA title not having a dedicated discussion.
>>
>BIG AMERICAN TITTIES
>>
>>382539027
Well there was a thread with about 400 replies yesterday. Perhaps all that can be said has been said for the time being.
>>
File: 1473690817757.png (134KB, 317x392px) Image search: [Google]
1473690817757.png
134KB, 317x392px
Never understood Niko's backstory. He was a serbian agressor in the war, why is he talking about the enemy cutting off children's hands and war crimes? Bosniaks and Croats were only defending themselves from Serbs. Who's hands did they cut? they own children? why should we show sympathy for Niko when he talks about the war?
>>
>>382539027
>best GTA title
>>
>>382538718
why?
>>
>>382538718
Friendly bump
>>
File: 02_BDd0OO1.jpg (190KB, 660x424px) Image search: [Google]
02_BDd0OO1.jpg
190KB, 660x424px
>>382539174
>"War is when the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other."

Niko was basically the Florya from Come and See. He was a teen when he found himself in the middle of a (heavily nationalistic) war where crimes against humanity happened every day. Narrative is the key in the story.

He never denied that atrocious acts have been committed by both sides (hell, probably even Niko himself), instead put emphasis on how (ultimately) everybody's a victim in war and there's no winners just survivors.

It's a relatively old and recurring theme in games and films alike, you don't have to show sympathy at all towards Niko or any of his peers but (try to) understand the reasons behind his perspective of the world.
>>
>>382539174
He cut children's hands off, not the enemy.
>>
STUPID MALAKA
>>
B O W L I N G
O
W
L
I
N
G
>>
File: 1494358650925.png (162KB, 494x388px) Image search: [Google]
1494358650925.png
162KB, 494x388px
Hearing Niko talk Serbian was fucking hilarious, I'll give him an A for effort.
>>
>>382539027

We had 2 threads the last few days which all hit the bump limit

/v/ knows, deep down, that GTA IV is the best GTA.
>>
>>382539174

You have no idea about the war in the balkan.

I was there, you faggot. It wasn't just bosnians protecting themselves from the serbs, lol.
Before the war, a group of bosnian militants went into a serbian kindergarden and slaughtered all of them, for example.
Serbians did the same then, of course.

This is how war plays out, dude. There's no "bad" guys. Both sides claim that the others are the bad guys.
I'm not from serbia nor bosnia, but I grew up in that area in the war.
>>
I DON'T EVEN HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE!
>>
File: 1498394684047.gif (1021KB, 375x212px) Image search: [Google]
1498394684047.gif
1021KB, 375x212px
>he jumps out of his car while doing the swingset glitch
>>
File: GTAIV_2010-10-31_01-58-14-75.jpg (10KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
GTAIV_2010-10-31_01-58-14-75.jpg
10KB, 350x263px
ICE COLD MAN! ICE COLD!
>>
>>382544947
Terrible time.

One action more extrem then the other lead to a escalation.
>>
As far as setting goes, Liberty City is the best in the saga, tied with the original San Andreas.
>>
>>382546129
Is Brucie a faggot?
>>
>>382547978
Just bi. He's into Luis.
>>
>>382544727
>rahsbiouh see mee autoh
>>
>>382547978
Brucie only likes pussy.
>>
>>382538718

I really hate this game's story. Niko is looking for someone in Liberty City - that's a good concept. But most missions have nothing to do with that. Most missions Niko just does because he "needs the money", even after rolling in money after the bank heist. There is no real motivation to do these missions, other than it's what the story demands. It's amazing how much of the game goes along where nothing of any real consequence happens. People shit on V's story but at least you get the sense of why the characters are doing what they do and they actually have motivations.

I understand wanting to "rise to the top" is a big part of the GTA franchise, but that's not even Niko's motivation, he just wants money to be comfortable, not to be some big time criminal. So most of the missions feel worthless.
>>
>>382548875
Niko is a shit character, let's just say it and be done with it. Niko's motivation is shit from the get go and it only gets worse as time moves on. Niko doesn't have to be a criminal at any point. He could get a legitimate job and work for a low wage. His English is good enough to apply for a shitty slave job in America. He would rather drive around and murder people on a daily basis for the highest bidder. This is what happens in GTA 4 from the moment you meet Vlad (first real quest giver) onwards.

In my current playthrough I have almost 20k in the bank and Niko has already murdered several dozen people for cash, and his first two quest givers Vlad and Faustin. Dimitri is still alive but I'm sure I'll get to kill him soon. Meanwhile I'm working for Manny and Elizabeta, again nothing but murdering people every mission. The story has already fallen apart completely and the only way it could hypothetically recover would be if Niko had some sort of awakening and all the killing after that point were to survive, no money involved. I know that's not going to happen so yeah, GTA 4's story is complete horseshit. I hope nobody is trying to use story as an argument in favor of GTA 4, that would be wrong.

I haven't played 5 but I'm sure it's the same shit there, just with three different Niko Bellics who all pretend to have other things going on besides professional murder.
>>
>>382550025
Roman has a gambling problem; he knows as soon as he gets comfortable Roman will waste pretty much everything or something horrible will happen to take it away from him
Niko is conditioned to expect the worst.
Also, add in the fact that he believes violence will forever be present in his life. He promised he wouldn't kill people once he got to America but it still happened. At that point he just gave up on the pretense of getting an honest job and decided to run for the violence he feels he was born to partake in.
>>
>>382550025
You need to realize that it is a GTA game. The game has to let you kill people and steal cars regardless if it fits the story or not. Once you realize this, then you can start enjoying the story without caring about all of the stuff you actually do in the game. Personally I'm fine with this formula. I enjoy both the gameplay and the story, even if they conflict with each other.
>>
>>382550342
Whatever happens out of cutscenes is not canon.
>>
>>382550519
Not entirely true. While it's not canon if you run over a pedestrian while on your way to a hotel you're supposed to shoot up, shooting up that hotel is still part of the story, even if you're in control of doing so.
>>
>>382550230
That's your head canon. It's partially what Rockstar were going for but it's in no way in the game. Niko doesn't have any reservations about killing early on. He acts like it during cutscenes but when the opportunity for murder comes around the game tells you "kill so and so" and you have no other option but to do it. And then the game keeps going like that. I went through it in my head some more, I'm certain I've already killed more than 100 people in mandatory quests and I'm only maybe 3 hours in.

>>382550342
>You need to realize that it is a GTA game.

I don't need to realize this, Rockstar's writers needed to realize this when they wrote a GTA main character who says he doesn't want to kill one minute and then puts up zero resistance and does it any way the next, and then continues to kill a thousand people with no remorse on the way.

I don't see the point in writing a story that has to be compartmentalized from the game. Just write about yet another power/money hungry sociopath who climbs up the organized crime ladder by doing hitman missions etc. What's wrong with that? Why are Rockstar desperate to make up stuff that conflicts with the actual game?
>>
>>382550639
You're still killing in self defense. Niko's contracts usually have him deal with a couple of targets. If they didn't have bodyguards he'd just fill a few dozen people across the game.
>>
>>382550738
Well GTA 5 has a story that better fits the nature of GTA and in my opinion it's a very uninteresting and boring story.

Honestly, I think GTA 4's way of dealing with story is the best despite all of its problems.
>>
>>382550025
His legitimate job was the cab business with Roman, but his very first fare ended up in yet another shootout and after a certain number of fares, Roman not only forbids you from doing any more fares because all the other cab drivers feel like you're stealing their fares, but he also essentially says that you should go back to your old ways in order to make money. Niko listens to Roman more than anyone else and does whatever he says; if even Roman says killing people is the best method for Niko to survive, what's Niko's incentive to do anything different, especially considering the act of killing means so little to him at that point, so it would essentially be like doing another normal job?
>>
>>382551471
>His legitimate job was the cab business with Roman

I did like 3 of those. Can you do more?

>all the other cab drivers feel like you're stealing their fares

I don't remember this and it would have happened days ago if it's part of the early story. Sounds like a smooth excuse for running out of missions, not like a legit story element.
>>
>>382552410
Yeah, there's like 10 I believe.
>>
It sucks. Nostalgia can really overcome anything.
>>
>>382550738
You have to realize that Niko is a hypocrite and that's one of the central themes of the whole story. It's at the very core of his character, and they hit you over the head with it. Darko Brevic, who is basically Niko's direct parallel down to the little nuances in his facial structure and general appearance, even points this out in what is probably the most important interaction of IV:
>You killed my friends for one thousand dollars?!
>How much do you charge to kill someone?
and later REITERATES that theme with
>Kill me then! You fucking hypocrite.
This theme directly connects to Niko's ultimate failure to escape his past; it is BECAUSE of his hypocrisy and his belief that he can't survive and provide for his family any other way that he can't escape his past and his loved ones die. If you kill people in the overworld, and especially if you take their money, it only fleshes out this hypocritical image of Niko that Darko preys on in "That Special Someone." If you continue to go on rampages after the game is over, this only cements the other main theme of Niko's ultimate failure to escape his violent past despite everything he's learned. This is why he works as a GTA protagonist.
>>
>>382552410
>>382552523
>tfw if you advance the story line right after Cab Missions became available you can't do them anymore as the building gets burned down

I'm still salty about this. I wanted to live the not-so-comfy-but-immigrant life a little more before Niko inevitably jumps into the middle of the (main) events.
>>
>>382548875
>Niko is looking for someone in Liberty City
That's not his main motivation; his main motivation is trying to escape the life of violence and suffering he built up while being a child soldier and being a human trafficker, and he tries to accomplish this by moving to America and staying with Roman, who he was led to believe was living an affluent and happy lifestyle. He gets there and is prepared to do that, but he finds that the whole thing is a lie and Roman's a lot worse off than he thought. Once he finds that his original goal is unattainable at the moment, which he finds out rather quickly, his main goal becomes getting a better life for him and Roman, and looking for the one who killed his squad is simply a bonus. So he tries to accomplish this goal by getting Roman out of the troubles he lands himself in, and from there, everything snowballs and they end up on the run from everybody.
>>
>>382553674
Fuck the cab missions, the game deleted my fucking BANSHEE parked in front of the first apartment.

How GTA 4 treats your vehicles is another glaring flaw in general. Was is too much to ask in 2008 or so for a GTA game to remember 2 or 3 previous vehicles and save their exact locations? Instead my car is teleported or outright deleted during every cutscene. The game even deletes cars that are only partially within the save-areas in front of your hideouts.
>>
>>382552697
>>You killed my friends for one thousand dollars?!
>>How much do you charge to kill someone?
This is one of my favorite moments in the game. It hits you like truck and it says a lot about Niko.
It also makes you all the more thankful that Niko was able to give up his life of crime and work as a taxi driver by the time V takes place.
>>
>>382554432
>It hits you like truck

...if you haven't been paying attention for the whole game leading up to that point maybe.
>>
>>382554189

You make a good point. Niko didn't go to Liberty with the intent of being a murder for hire, but when he arrived he saw that Roman was being harassed by loan sharks which required him to get violent. Then, when they're forced to flee Hove Beach, they literally have nothing, so the only thing Niko can really do is do jobs for Manny/Elizabeta.

I'd say the motivations are pretty logical, if not totally satisfying. The game doesn't really have a narrative.
>>
So can we agree that killing Darko, and doing the Deal, are the logical choices in the context of the story?
>>
>>382550025

I think Niko is a good character, but he's in the wrong story, the story just sucks
>>
>>382554805
refresh my memory please. what are your motivations to kill or not kill darko and what was the deal?
>>
>>382554981

Darko is the one who betrayed Niko's unit all those years back. Niko has been looking for him for years. The deal is to do a heroin deal with Dimitri.
>>
>>382554805
Killing Darko, maybe
Doing the Deal? Fuck no, by the time, Nico is already loaded enough from robbing the bank and working for the italians. Why should he trust Dimitri, a dude who already betrayed him once, kidnapped his cousin and tried to kill him for the major part of the game?
Killing Darko - Revenge is the only right choice.
Also fuck Kate, that bitch never put out anyway, so don't give a fuck
>>
>>382555278
Sounds like you should kill both. Dimitri betrayed me so I will definitely kill him given the chance.
>>
>>382555457
Niko
>>
>>382554667
Also, you have to consider another central character trait of Niko: his unbending adherence to his ideals, such as that protecting your family is worth any risk, something which is highlighted at multiple points in the story, but especially in one interaction between Niko and Roman where they basically say they wish to be the other person; Niko wishes to be kind and optimistic like Roman and Roman wishes to be strong and unbending like Niko. When you take that into account, as soon as you find out that Roman and the one he loves are in trouble, you basically know that Niko's going to end up in hot shit just to get them out. His adherence to ideals vs. his love of family and what he learns from "That Special Someone" are why the Revenge/Deal choices even exist.
>>
>>382554569
I think it's a powerful moment because it's the first time Niko is confronted about his own hypocrisy by the man he had loathed and hunted down for years.
>>
>>382555648
why is GTA IV story so good and GTA V so shit?
like, what the fuck happen?
>>
>>382555871
People complained that IV's story was too dark and broody for a GTA game and they tried mixing the levity of the original games with the satire of IV to create V's story. It didn't work out that well.
>>
>>382555457
Because it's what Roman would have wanted; Roman is the one who requests you do the deal in the first place, and if you put yourself in Niko's shoes, you'll remember that Niko's actions throughout the whole game are in some way due to Roman's influence. Niko treasures Roman above all else and even if he doesn't show it, Niko always listens to Roman's counsel, or at least acknowledges it. Furthermore, if Niko sticks to his ideals and kills Darko, he finds that attaining revenge makes him feel nothing. Combine that realization with the fact that if the deal did in fact go smoothly, Niko would be up $250k with no violence needed, something which doesn't happen at any point in the game. The thing he has to give up in the process are his ideals, all for the sake of Roman and the slight chance that he'll finally be able to gain some foothold in America without the use of violence. This is why Deal is a viable choice.
>>
>>382556229
Damn, I never really thought of that, makes me want to replay GTA IV now, in fact, I'm already downloading a torrent RIGHT NOW
>>
>>382556229
Isn't Roman rich at that point in time?
>>
File: huang.jpg (62KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
huang.jpg
62KB, 400x280px
>Dealing with Dimitri even though he's clearly shown his colors
>Killing Dwayne just because Playboy pays
>Killing Derrick just because Francis asks even though everyone in the family hates Francis

If you did any of these you're a fucking idiot.
>>
File: not so easy.webm (1MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
not so easy.webm
1MB, 720x404px
Would Niko be able to beat Trevor in a fight?
>>
>>382556229
Also, I should add that Roman pushing the deal on Niko shows off his central character trait he showed throughout the game, right down to seeing the bright side in sleeping with girls with fake breasts, and in your hangouts with him: his unbreakable optimism. He doesn't care that Dimitri tried to kill him before, all he sees is that slight chance that him and Niko will finally achieve the American Dream through the money obtained from the deal, and the implication is that even if that chance is only slight and there's huge risk in taking it, it's still there, and therefore worth taking. That's why he's so comfortable with Niko taking the deal.
>>
>>382556905
He's better off, but $250k is still a very large sum of money for what Roman hopes is a quick, open and shut deal, and considering the optimism I talk about here>>382557070
it doesn't make sense for Roman not to go for it; who cares if it's Dimitri, it's a lot more money that Niko and I can get in one shot without violence, and that's the bright side of it. He thinks that bright side is worth all the risks; that's why he goes for it.
>>
>>382557053
I dunno, fighting in V is shit so I have know idea if Trevor's any good at it, hope Niko wins though
>>
Spare Darko
Take Revenge on Dimitri

Kill Darko
Take the Deal
>>
Anyway lets talk about GTA 4 and multiplayer. Remember the good ol times at the airport, the hotel, Algonquin, shootouts and chases across the first island and Bohan, playling derby? I remember and I want to go back to that time.
>>
>>382556993
>not getting that sweet money
>not putting suicidal and depressed Dwayne out of his misery
>not putting the heroin junkie Derrick out of his misery
>>
Daily reminder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doFidFAsbqc
>>
File: 1467847078182.jpg (115KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1467847078182.jpg
115KB, 1200x1200px
>>382539174
>Bosniaks and Croats were only defending themselves from Serbs.
>>
>>382548549
*boipussy
>>
>>382557758
>money literally has no meaning in IV
>not getting Dwayne's backup and getting to know the guy on top of Claude's outfit

Derrick is a junkie who's going to kill himself anyway but maybe just maybe he saw how close he was to dying it might reform him.
>>
>>382557479
I think sparing Darko and going for the deal makes sense too; if you spare Darko, you'll see Niko state that all along, despite his demons, he still tries to be happy and move forward, and if you take the Deal, Niko is in effect moving forward; he's putting aside his past troubles with Dimitri in order to chase what him and Niko have been desiring all along: a potential nonviolent solution to their problems. Furthermore, if you spare Darko, you'll find that Niko has changed in a rather subtle fashion: he's more open and considering of others now. It was Roman's counsel that keeps him from killing Darko, and Niko's character development is further revealed in his subsequent call to Bernie: he calls him "Bernie" instead of "Florian" at the very end of the call, and he even takes Bernie's invite to hang out, something he never considered beforehand. Bearing these in mind, you can kind of see that Niko is in fact a bit happier after sparing Darko, and perhaps he associates the abstaining from revenge with that bit of happiness and openness he displays with Bernie. So somewhere in his mind, he might see that pursuing that feeling is something he should do, and that's where the Deal comes in. It gives him another opportunity to gain that happiness and develop his character, which is what Roman wanted for him all along.
>>
Did anyone else experience a glitch where the very last of Brucie's car jobs will permanently spawn on the map even after the job was over? I did, and I was lucky enough to get a permanently spawning gold Infernus in Broker.
>>
>>382558256
*Him and Roman have been desiring all along
>>
>>382556993
I killed Playboy and regretted it. Dwayne is a sadsack who keeps whining about people not being loyal to his sad ass forever. There's no point in sparing him. Will kill him on this playthrough.
>>
>>382558553
The text message cars or the emails? Text message cars are for that guy Stevie not Brucie.
>>
>>382538718
playboy and little jacob best characters
>>
Anybody else think that GTA 4 has the best GTA threads on /v/? I was checking out the Vice City thread yesterday and most of it seemed to be image dumps with no text, MAD comic dumps, and arguing about politics, but no nuanced discussion. I compared it to the GTA 4 thread that was running at the same time and not only did it stay completely about the game the whole time, but there was also in-depth discussion and even a write-up about a side character from 4. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only times someone did write-ups on characters from other GTAs were in GTA 4 threads. Maybe it's just my confirmation bias speaking, but that seems to be my experience with things. Anyone else feel this way?
>>
>>382559002
Email cars. Don't remember what the mission was called but it was given out through emails.
>>
>>382557842
Is it a performance thing? Especially the way physics interactions are just over way quicker hints at performance concerns, doesn't it? Like they did it to protect the framerate in case you ran your car into a crowd of people.

What's weird about this is there's not really any larger crowds of people in GTA 5 than in 4. 4 had loads of people on screen sometimes and I remember plenty of performance problems, but not correlated to number of NPCs around.
>>
Tell me, /v/. Who is the best girl?
>>
>>382559589
Yeah I never got infernus through email because I did them all. Brucie doesn't really get that much good shit and most of the email cars are on first island. You're thinking Stevie anon.
>>
File: stretched mouth.jpg (11KB, 257x217px) Image search: [Google]
stretched mouth.jpg
11KB, 257x217px
>>382544727
No idea why they couldn't just hire a genuine serb, it's not like they're hard to find.

Then again I'll never understand movies / games that try to have foreigners in them only for them to speak in perfect English even when around family or close friends. God forbid you had to use subtitles, eh?
>>
>>382560103
Lawyer girl
>>
>>382560103
Alex because of the blogs

>At least I hope that was peanut butter
>>
I can't wait for GTA 6 to come out so we can stop pretending 4 was anything but a tech demo with slightly above-average writing and move on to praising 5 for being crazy and customizable and shitting on 6 for being new.
>>
>>382560214
I agree; I'm a sucker for yanderes and to see Kiki actually stalk you and do stuff to you in the real world was really cool. She is kind of an SJW though. What's interesting is that you'll find that Niko's views on immigration line up with most of /v/'s. If /pol/ knew about those interactions they'd probably suck Niko's dick.
>>
GTAIV had the best driving and the best city, obviously SA and V are nice with their huge worlds but there's not as much attention to detail and their cities don't have the same grand feeling as IV, and I liked the shooting in it more than the others. Honestly a shame V dumbed down everything and then ruined the MP
>>
>>382560942
To play devil's advocate, what do you consider attention to detail? If it means the degree to which Rockstar tries to emulate the real world's appearance in their games, V has that in spades; there are over 1,100 locations in the game that are based on places in real life California. Perhaps you're referring to interiors?
>>
File: FUCKYOU.png (243KB, 268x557px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKYOU.png
243KB, 268x557px
>everyone on pc complains about gta4's poor optimization and broken mp for years
>finally get an update this year that fixes both issues
>start game and immediately search for a game
>no players, mp is completely dead
>once in a while come across one maybe two players
>mfw
I just wanna fuck around in mp with other people in mp is that too hard to ask for?
>>
>>382560942
The driving made getting about fun. It was necessary because 90% of the turns in Liberty City are 90 degree corners. You need to make the cars have weight if you want to have fun with that. The shooting felt better, too.
>>
>>382560439
III is a tech demo too anon and V had less customization than SA so get off of that customization shit.

>I can change their clothes but they change them back
>I can get cars painted but can't put decals on them like in SA
>I can get their stats up but it literally doesn't matter because there's nothing to do with them

SA you could literally have Cj so fat he'd have a heart attack with dialogue reflected in npc interaction and actually having good stamina made his health bar bigger. V was alright but it's a pale imitation of everything SA did while removing features from IV.
>>
>>382561337
Did it really fix anything? I tried running the game on a PC that should absolutely destroy it in terms of performance and I still experienced slow-down.

Playing something like SA or V and then going into IV feels like fucking torture, it's as if the game was drowning in molasses
>>
>>382555457

Don't forget that Pegornio wants Niko to do the deal, and threatens him if he doesn't. It would be stupid to go against Pegorino
>>
>>382561337
Hey buddy you got wrong thread leather club is two blocks down.
>>
>>382556993
tfw killed derrick and read later that francis would reward you with a lose-the-cops option whilst wasting francis yields no reward whatsoever
>>
>>382560663

She's practically a walking stereotype. Rich and privileged person who has a boner for helping lesser people, but doesn't really help them. Her opposite is that nurse chick. She's poor and actually does help people everyday, but she really doesn't give a shit about anyone except herself.
>>
File: dexter cookie.jpg (15KB, 447x335px) Image search: [Google]
dexter cookie.jpg
15KB, 447x335px
>>382561520
>can't replace your default car
>forced to drive the same mustang / audi / truck for the entire game
>>
>>382558256

I think the opposite makes sense.

If you Kill Darko it makes sense to do the Deal. After killing Darko, Niko feels empty and realizes that revenge didn't make him feel any better. So naturally he would go for the Deal, because getting revenge on Dimitir wouldn't make him feel any better either.

Meanwhile, if he spares Darko, it makes sense he would go for Dimitri, because Dimitri is the one deserving of his ire and not Darko.
>>
>>382538718
I guarantee you it's the same slavshit making these GTA4 threads
>>
>>382562084
Yeah, that choice makes sense and I agree with both paths the other anon put forward, but I wanted to show that the Spare Darko/Take Deal makes sense as well.
>>
>>382562024
>switch to Franklin
>hes driving that shitty bike
>>
>>382562305
>>382562084
Also, that ire you speak of is Niko's anger over the betrayal of his squad; Dimitri has nothing to do with that. The choice for revenge on Dimitri is something else entirely, with added urgency because of the deal and also, far fewer years of deliberation behind it.
>>
>>382561663
try making a new .txt save it as commandline.txt in the gta4 directory, open it up and type in -norestrictions -availablevidmem 4.0, save and that should improve performance a little
>>
>>382561894
You lose that ability later and Kiki gives that to you earlier if you date her.
>>
>>382562024
You can make the cars handle better by putting off road tires on them. It's so ironic. /gtag/ argued for so long about what the best tires for racing were, and it turned out to be the category that everyone dismissed immediately.
>>
>>382561995
Yeah, it's funny how so many characters in IV are related to each other in some way
>>
>>382557867
kek
>>382539174
There were no good guys nor bad guys in that war, only victims. What Americans know of that war is how the Serbs were cold blooded killers, Croats and Bosnians little pussies who couldn't defend themselves and then Americans came to aid them, riding on a great bald eagle, wearing aviator glasses with M60 automatic rifle in each hand, shitting grenades over Serbia, defending innocent little Bosnian kids and in the end winning another war, defending free speech and protecting USA from terrorists.
>>
File: EFLC 2017-07-02 11-01-24-11.webm (3MB, 540x302px) Image search: [Google]
EFLC 2017-07-02 11-01-24-11.webm
3MB, 540x302px
>>382560942
its not that great, the game don't let you do powerslides with cars even on the rain
good thing mods exist
>>
>>382562741
My issue with the system is that your choices didn't matter, you were stuck using pre-determined cars and the characters would constantly switch clothes as if to intentionally piss you off.

SA managed to tell a complete story all while allowing you to completey customize CJ, them going back on this in V just felt moronic as all hell.
>>
>>382562367
It's literally like the 5th slowest bike in the game and looks gay as fuck no matter what you do with it. I hated how Franklin would just sit in his pyjamas and eat chips all day after you git the mansion. I picked the death wish option at the end because I thought it would make Franklin shoot himself or something.
>>
>>382555648
Oh, I found the dialogue I speak of, if you want to see what I'm talking about. It should be noted that apparently these are the last two lines of the last hangout between Niko and Roman. It's a lot like an end rhyming couplet; this gives them further prominence

>Niko: You are the man I wanted to be, Roman - happy, kind and a good person.
>Roman: And you are the man I wanted to be - strong, unbending, with integrity. Life is very strange.
>>
>>382560139
Remember Americans cannot read.
>>
>>382563008
That's a Scandinavian flick, right? I remember being able to do that all the time in the vanilla game, especially with the Feltzer and the Futo (AE86)
>>
>>382563008
Is that Killamate's Realistic Driving mod? I love it, especially the motorcycles. They're way better with that.

I also like CryEnb v3. It's the best look/performance I've gotten from an enb. I really love IV's modding scene.
>>
>>382562738

You only lose it at the very end of the game, after the final mission. There's no reason to play after that unless you are seriously into doing those police side missions. Kikis version also only removes a 3 star level, while the other guy removes any amount of stars and is much more abusible. There's n
>>
>>382544727
>"Ti si slab i spor, prijatelju"
>"Ti si slučaj za psihijatra!"
Those were good
>>
>>382544947
Killing children for children is cowardly.
>>
>>382560139
In IV the use of Serbian vs. the use of English by Niko is actually a very important way of showing his character development; at the beginning of the game, Niko criticizes Roman for forgetting his own language and electing to use English instead, and at the end of Deal, after Roman is gone and Niko has moved a bit forward as a person, when Niko approaches Dimitri after shooting him, Dimitri curses at him in Serbian, to which Niko responds with a command to speak English. Not to undermine your point about a genuine Serb being needed; that's there, but I'm just saying that Serbian has a genuine purpose in the story and is not just forgotten.
>>
File: 1475259363477.png (273KB, 1333x717px) Image search: [Google]
1475259363477.png
273KB, 1333x717px
>>382562086
>mfw it's actually Roman making these threads in around about ass way to make me go bowling with him

I'll go bowling anytime cousin just ask so I can beat your ass motherfucker. Packie is actually the worst at bowling.
>>
>>382563961
Are you trying to be coherent? What does that even mean?
>>
>>382556229
But if I remember correctly, Roman doesn't know that the deal involves Dmitri. Niko just tells him that there is money to be made, but he is not so sure whether he should work with this guy, so Roman obviously tells him to go for it. If he knew that Dmitri was involved, he would surely advice Niko against it. Dealing with a psychopath who have already betrayed and tried to kill you when you are by no means forced to do so is a retarded idea and revenge is the only sensible choice. Regardless of Niko's beliefs, the deal option is just plain ridiculous and he surely has to realise that. Besides, it leads to Roman's death, which is just another reason to not go with it, although you don't know it yet at the time of decision.
>>
>>382563973
Dimitri uses Russian, actually, since he's an Ivan, but close enough.
>>
>>382550025
He kills for fun. It's all he knows and what he's good at. Also he kinda had to do something about Vlad. He's in the life but doesn't like to face the fact.

Also, after he killed Faustin (again, not much of a choice), Dimitri stabs him in the back. There aren't many other options for him at that point.
>>
>>382564102

You know, the funniest thing is that I just went to kill Dimitri because it had the closer mission start point. Nico must have been feeling lazy that day.
>>
>>382554432
That could be a front. I would even say it's probable.
>>
File: gta 3.jpg (171KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
gta 3.jpg
171KB, 800x640px
Is the team working on RDR2 the same as the one that did GTA V?

Really don't want to wait an entire console generation for a new installment in the series.
>>
Framing it as Deal vs Revenge was a retarded decision by Rockstar

Just because I don't want to work with Dimitri, that doesn't mean I'm some kind of vengeful prick. I just don't want to work with a guy who burned down my house, kidnapped my cousin and has screwed me over several times. I view not doing the Deal as cautious and smart, and yet the game acts as if I just want to get revenge and be petty.
>>
File: PhilBell-GTAIV.jpg (50KB, 501x660px) Image search: [Google]
PhilBell-GTAIV.jpg
50KB, 501x660px
This is Phil Bell, say something nice about him.
>>
>>382564102
He does know about it, look at "One Last Call," in fact, Roman also knows where Dimitri is for the Revenge ending
>I have been asked to work for Dimitri Rascalov again, there could be a lot of money in it.
>I heard you two had resolved your differences, he's on some boat in East Hook, right?
>What, you knew about this? He's on a boat in East Hook?
>Yeah, I heard you had forgiven him and were working together. You're doing this deal, right?
>Now that I know where Dimitri is, I might just go there and take him out instead. Have you forgotten that he burnt down your apartment and business, that he arranged your kidnapping?
>Now I have a better apartment, and I'll have an even better one if you work with him again. Promise me you won't do anything hasty cousin.
Note the optimism Roman displays, the fact that Niko knows about the drawbacks of the deal and why it's weird that Roman is so okay with it, and note the use of the word "apartment." One of the images most associated with the American Dream is the acquisition of a great place to live.
>>
>>382563367
you can do that on vanilla, it just not as satisfying as it is with mods
at some point the car will stop spinning the wheels because the game has some kind of traction control built into it
>>
>>382564929
Also, note that Roman makes Niko promise him not to do anything hasty. Niko always tries to fulfill promises he makes to Roman.
>>
>>382564865
So, you're saying there should be a third, "neutral" option("screw it, I don't give a fuck") or that it simply should be renamed to "deal or kill"?
>>
>>382564404
He could have gone to the contacts he met while working for Dimitri. People that he knew Dimitri personally squeezed, like the sex shop guys. Nico could have told them he would get Dimitri off their backs if they told him where he was.
>>
>>382564925
He was a realist and jumped ship at exactly the right time.

He also didn't respect a blatant fucking moron like Jimmy just because he was supposed to.
>>
>>382564929
Ah, all right then, my bad. It's been a few years since I played through it.
>>
File: WelhamParkway-GTA4-lake.jpg (211KB, 1280x650px) Image search: [Google]
WelhamParkway-GTA4-lake.jpg
211KB, 1280x650px
Does this game have better lighting than V? When I went back and played this I was surprised by how cool the lighting was, dawn and dusk are incredible in how advanced everything looks.
>>
>>382565375
No. V looks better. IV put gameplay before graphics.
>>
>>382564865
Well you have to remember that the way it's framed in the game is the way Niko frames the choice in his mind. If you look here>>382564929
Niko specifically implies that going after Dimitri is an act of revenge for all the things he'd done to both him and Roman. Roman sees it the same way; he views it as "anything hasty." Considering the characters we're working with here, the framework does make sense, although it does rob agency from the player in the process. You're really supposed to put yourself into Niko's shoes and roleplay as him in this decision, taking into account everything he's learned, not do what you personally think is sound.
>>
>>382561757
>>382555457
Revenge is the best option. Niko isn't stupid enough to help Dimitri again, no matter what Roman wants, Niko understands the reality of the situation, and not to mention, already has a lot of money. Also, the Deal ending is simply too sad. It's already sad enough with Kate's death if you put the effort into the hangouts and consider the complete void of "The American Dream" Niko gets by killing a pathetic, old man who never even accomplished much. Niko even mocks him and you can tell it cuts pretty deep before he kills him.

Pegorino is a joke. That's a key theme of the game. He's just New Jersey while the real Mafia dons live in NYC, it's always been this way in real life, as well.
>>
>>382564865

It shouldn't have even been a choice.

Niko was basically forced to do the Deal. Not doing it would be retarded, as Pegorino would just kill him if he didn't. (I know that doesn't exactly end up happening, but that would be the clear implication at the time). It really makes no sense for Niko to totally defy Pegorino, as that is pretty much a certain deathwish.
>>
>>382565375
V dumbed down a lot of things for the "More is better" and dumbing down everything for the stupid NA Audience

I still remember first booting up GTA IV when I was 15 in 2008. It felt so good. It felt like I was in a living city. Its also helped that I was eastern European, could relate the not fitting in feeling.

I liked the story, never really liked Niko as an MC tho.
>>
The game should have given you the option to join up with Ray and kill Pegorino. This arguably would have been the smarter move on Niko's part. Tell Ray that Pegorino wants him dead, then join up with Ray to get rid of Pegorino/Phil. Ray gets to be the new Don, and Niko possibly has a clean way out of the game.
>>
GTAIV has best music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6mFNznjmbM
>>
>>382564084
Uhh...

English not your first language, pal?

Killing someone else's kid because they killed your kid is cowardly.
>>
>>382566038
GTA IV had the most personality out of latest generation.

I enjoyed Ballad Of Gay Tony>GTA IV>The biker DLC>>>GTA V
>>
>>382565693
But you're missing something right there; no matter what Niko says against Roman after the fact, he always, always does what Roman wants and everything he's ever done is because of Roman. Niko doesn't care about how stupid it is, if Roman says it, he'll consider it no matter what it is. It's the reason why you still have two choices even after Niko demonstrates that he knows the drawbacks of the deal; he still considers it despite it all. And based on what was said here >>382556229
>Combine that realization with the fact that if the deal did in fact go smoothly, Niko would be up $250k with no violence needed, something which doesn't happen at any point in the game.
doing the Deal would actually give Niko what he had to put aside since the beginning of the game, a nonviolent solution to his and Roman's problems, which is also something Roman always wanted for Niko.
>>
>>382565795
Pegorino is nothing. And it's been shown that Niko doesn't care for people in authority and tends to do things his own way. I really feel like you're giving Pegorino more credit than he deserves. Even in chapter 1 you can hear Weazel news refer to the Alderney mob without much respect. If anything, Fuastin was more dangerous, and look how that turned out.
>>
>>382554189

I still think the story is very poor and makes no real sense.

>do the bank heist and get a shitload of money
>afterwards you still do dangerous criminal shit for ray, gerald, derrick, because....?

There is seriously no motivation to do that stuff. The ULP agent already told him he'd help him find Darko, and Niko has money, so why even bother doing anything more than that? There is absolutely no reasonable motivation for a lot of the missions in this game especially after the Bank heist. Niko already has a lot of money and 1, possible 2 baller safehouses.

IMO, Three Leaf Clover should have been one of the final missions. Would have been cool if, at the end, you could get a nice house in suburban Alderney instead of a totally dogshit apartment. Would have been a satisfying resolution
>>
>>382566012
Ray was cool and all, but he was a complete snake. Teaming with Phil would've been better.

I would have liked the option to choose between them, though, in that one mission for Pegorino. It's what I was expecting.
>>
>>382566291
Personally, I just can't see Niko falling for it. He's too smart and Dimitri is far too shady. I also like killing Dimitri on the same boat I arrived to the city on. That was cool.
>>
>>382566476
The only logical conclusion is that he likes it and is making a ton of money, so why not? Also, he's helping out his contacts, which makes sense. Seems pretty clear Niko was just built for this line of work. Could have been handled better, though, I agree. Especially since money is basically worthless, anyway.
>>
>>382544947

Got any more stories?
>>
>>382566012
>Joining Ray
>Killing Phil
You disgust me.
>>
People say the Deal ending is more dramatic but I actually like the Revenge ending. The stupidity and futility of having to chase down a failed loser like Pegorino is oddly fitting for the game's themes.
>>
i never played the ballad of gay tony dlc, is it worth it?
>>
>>382567104
Definitely, it's great
>>
Here's how the ending should have been written: Dimitri kidnaps Darko, in order to lure Niko, and Niko is forced to save Darko. The final mission of the game is Niko storming Dimitri's base with his friends Jacob, Packie, and Dwayne, killing Dimitri, and finding Darko. At this point, the player can then decide to spare or kill him. I think this would make for a much more climactic ending instead of the shoe-horned in deal at the end
>>
>>382538718
Best Grand Theft Kino ever.
>>
Best thread in the whole history of /lit/:
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S9217368
>>
>>382567231
im a sucker for good storylines, how is it?
>>
>>382559875
>Is it a performance thing?
Nope, just a shitty design decision. They took the criticisms of IV's general physics being too heavy and floaty, and lightened everything up in V.
>>
>>382563549
Realenb definitely looks the best and has almost no impact on performance to boot
>>
>>382567518
It's dated as fuck, honestly. Everyone keeps talking about recessions and bail outs like they're still I the middle of the GFC. You get to finish off Mr Bulgarian, though. He's the guy who had been haunting Niko for ages.
>>
>>382564707
>Is the team working on RDR2 the same as the one that did GTA V?
Pretty sure it's the same as RDR, San Diego w/ North helping.
>>
>>382566505
In the original version you had to choose between killing Ray or Phil.
>>
>>382567574
What's Realenb? Are you talking about natural realistic enb? I brought up Cryenb because it works with eflc.
>>
>>382566476
>The ULP agent already told him he'd help him find Darko
See that's the thing, he doesn't say that definitively. He says maybe he'll do it, or maybe he won't. At that point in the story, you have no idea if he'll actually help you; you just want to get out of the FIB's back pocket. You only know after you finish all the jobs for him. The reason why he helps Ray is that Ray knows where Florian Cravic is and how to track him down, and the ULP contact is the only one who knows where Darko Brevic is. Niko is looking for one of two people, not just Darko. You help Gerald as a favor for the bank job, and you help Derrick as a favor for Packie. Niko is very loyal to those who help him; that's why he does all those things. The money is another incentive.
>>
>>382566191
You made too many assumptions that people would understand you. You must be clearer. Killing children for children? What children? You are killing OTHER peoples children because they killed your own.
>>
>>382568334
Well to be more accurate, he's the only one who has the capability of tracking down Darko and delivering him to America without Niko having to leave the country.
>>
>>382567518
Not as good as that of base game, but still pretty damn great imo. A bit more crazy than IV and tLaD, mostly de to Yusuf's fuckery
>>
File: JUST.jpg (27KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
27KB, 600x424px
>can't get the game to look like in those realistic screenshots no matter how hard I try
>ends up looking like shit every single time
>haven't played past that first sniper mission to date
>>
>>382568394
I would just kill them and leave their children out of it.
>>
>>382568334

Wanting to help someone is one thing, but does it really make sense that Niko would be willing to kill Ancelloti mobsters for Gerald, or get into shootouts for Derrick? I mean that's awfully risky for doing a simple favor for a friend. I still don't see it as a reasonable motivation.
>>
>>382568704
You do realize that war was fought by manipulated civilians?
>>
>>382560103
Carmen

I loved the way she talked and how she was openly promiscuous
>>
>>382568883
It always is. I know I shouldn't talk though without experiencing it.
>>
>>382568059
Why the hell would anyone ever choose to kill Phil instead of Ray?
>>
>>382568834
Not to us, but to Niko, remember that killing means absolutely nothing to him. He describes the bank job to Gerald as "fun." For Niko, killing a bunch of people is merely a small price to pay for upholding his ideal of being loyal to those who help him. Killing people for Niko is like posting on 4chan for you and me; it takes no effort at all. That's why he's okay with it. Plus, he's already knee deep at that point, so what to a few more bodies mean to him?
>>
>>382566360

I disagree that Pegorino is nothing. I mean, he's not that big of a deal, but he clearly would have the resources to kill Niko, if Niko screwed him over on the deal. If I'm in Niko's shoes, it seems extremely risky to piss of Pegorino. If we look at Niko's options:

Deal - Working with Dimitri sounds shitty, but seems like there's a chance it could work out, plus Peg says "you don't even have to deal with the fucking Russians". If the deal works out, then Niko gets rich, and he and Roman can retire from the game and live happily.

Revenge - Do a highly dangerous task in killing Dimitri, piss of Pegorino and probably draw his wrath.

From a logical standpoint, Deal makes sense to me.
>>
>>382568394
Killing innocent non-combatants as revenge for actions commited by their neighbors is the most dishonorable, cowardly, gutless, vermin-like behavior a warrior can commit.

Get treatment for your Autism.
>>
File: enb2017_6_30_7_57_5.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
enb2017_6_30_7_57_5.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>382568661
>tfw gta iv should run like butter on my rig
>only get ~30 fps, sometimes 40-45 at night
>>
>>382539174
I don't see how what you said is contradictory. Serbs were the aggressors and were known for committing war crimes and attempted ethnic cleansing. Niko regrets his time spent serving with the army.
>>
>>382569052

Ray was one of my favorite characters, he was slimy but also seemed honest about it, and easy to work with.
>>
>>382568661

I only have GTA IV on console and I can't get it to look good at all. Default settings are way too dark and I can't see jack shit, if I fuck around with the brightness/contrast suddenly I'm blinded by brightness glare. It's impossible to make the game look "normal", the lighting is so dramatic.
>>
>>382569356
Yes, but Phil is more trustworthy. When it comes to your own survival, I'd side with Phil any day.
>>
>>382569128
That's all fine and dandy but the canon ending is Revenge, as evident in GTA V and how Niko works for Roman in his cab business after leaving the game and "going dark" as Lester described.
>>
>>382565585
>IV
>gameplay
alright buddy you got me here's your (You)
>>
>>382560103
Michelle was the cutest before she turned out to be Karen.
>>
My dream game would be a small DLC called "Bellic Cab Service", where you play as Niko and do cab fares for Roman around the city. (And not just Broker this time but also Algonquin and Alderney). Imagine how fucking comfy that would be, fucking around with Roman and Brucie and Packie while having a job as a cab driver. Being able to hear Roman over the intercom while you drive people around. Goddamn I want this so bad.
>>
>>382570159
Agreed, none of the other girls really do it for me, the Latino slut was the closest second.
>>
>>382569870
V has less replay value because of all the weird things it does, like not having as good ragdolls, cheating cops, driving that's really arcadey - in a bad way. It's far and away from a bad game, but I just don't like the basic gunplay and car handling. And mods don't fix the handling the same way they did with IV.
>>
>>382564707
>>382567995
But no Benzies
>>
>>382570818

What's weird about V is that, while fun, practically everything feels 100% scripted. It's impossible to really do anything the game doesn't "want" you to, and this feels really constraining.
>>
File: giphy_s.gif (67KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
giphy_s.gif
67KB, 380x380px
>having a thread about the worst entry in the series
>literally Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories were better games that no one ever talk about
>>
>>382567394
That's dumb. Dimitri saw and gain nothing for kidnapping Darko anyway, unlike let's say Roman.

Also, the point of Darko is to subvert your expectation. The guy that Niko try to find for years is turns out to be a unimportant junkie. Making him an important character is the opposite of the whole point.
>>
>>382571576
Nope.
>>
>>382571576
GTA 4 has objectively the best physics. Many people think it also has the best driving (granted some also hate it), story and environment. There's no way you could say this is the worst entry in the series.
>>
>>382571576
Both LCS and VCS were great games of the same quality as 3, VC and SA, what are you about?
And yeah, they're underrated as hell
>>
File: Niko.jpg (460KB, 900x933px) Image search: [Google]
Niko.jpg
460KB, 900x933px
who is the best girlfriend in gta 4?
>>
>>382571915
Kate is a good friend.
>>
>>382571576
>having a thread about a video game on /v/
Wow, how insane is that
>>
>>382572020
Kate is also pretty clearly the woman for Niko that Roman described from his "dream". And of course, it turns out to be just that, a dream.
>>
>>382571915
The redhead. Too bad for us it locks us out of a good cousin ending.
>>
>>382571576
What a good series when the worst entry is still amazing

Also Advance is always be the worse
>>
>>382572172
*worst
I need to sleep
>>
Best outfit from the beginning:

>flight jacket in sand
>jeans
>grey sneakers
>russian cap
>>
File: RcbYra0T.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
RcbYra0T.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
Why is it that I could never ever get into GTA IV? Ballad of Gay Tony I actually enjoyed but the base game I never got into.
>>
>>382569291
Post specs
>>
>>382571825
All the characters are shit, you play as some polack fuck, the setting is trash, it should have been set in Liberty City, the radio is shit. The only thing wrong with 5 is that it has an online element which never should have existed, resulting in no DLC, and the cop AI is shit.

VC>SA>5>LCS>VCS>III>4
>>
>>382572470
Because it's depressing and you like older GTA games
>>
>>382572470
It's likely because the tones between both are the exact opposites of each other, and TBOGT is more of what you're probably used to, whereas IV and TLAD are more of a deviation from the formula
>>
File: Hakumai-GTAIV-front.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hakumai-GTAIV-front.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Hakumai a best
>>
>>382538718

How the fuck did they manage to make the ragdoll system WORSE in gta v?
>>
>escort guy
>cutscene
>hallway shootout
>cousin lets go bowling
>hallway shootout
>guy walks away
wich GTA IV mission is this
protip:all of them
>>
>>382570379
>Oh Niko, tell me more interesting things!
>>
>>382572729

But hallway shootouts are fun
>>
@382572576
The very fact that you don't even know that Niko is Serbian and that GTA IV is in fact set in Liberty City means that your opinion should be discarded immediately. You would know both of these not even 5 minutes into the game.
@382572729
None, because you never escort a guy before you see a cutscene and you never go bowling in a mission after a shootout. Congratulations for making yourself look stupid. At least try to be more substantial with your criticism.
>>
File: enb2017_6_29_1_20_17.png (3MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
enb2017_6_29_1_20_17.png
3MB, 1600x900px
>>382572475
>Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
>AMD FX-6300
>8 GB RAM
>M5A97 R2.0 MoBo
>GTX 750 Ti 2GB

Not a powerhouse, but I like my PC. I can play a lot of games pretty smoothly, but IV is weird.
>>
>>382573015
hallway shootouts are the most antifun mindnumbing form of filler in gaming
please neck yourself or play a shooter made before 2007
>>
File: Swing_glitch_(GTA4)_(catapult).jpg (41KB, 368x268px) Image search: [Google]
Swing_glitch_(GTA4)_(catapult).jpg
41KB, 368x268px
*blocks your path*
>>
>>382572721
For optimization purposes. The sad fact is that normies (=90% of the audience) don't even see the difference between GTA 4's and 5's physics, which is why there's no reason for Rockstar to use any extra computing power in better ragdolls.
>>
>>382573271
IV is simply a bad port
>play game
>for some reason runs like 25 fps
>open up keyboard mapping menu and unpause it
>60 fps
>>
People still nowadays think that Rockstar is the edgy company that has balls and doesn't care if their products offend people, but the truth is that that old Rockstar died with GTA 5. That game is incredibly tame in it's humor and social commentary, because it's financially beneficial to pander to all groups of society.
>>
Niko, Johnny and Luis. Who'd you rather be friends with?
>>
>>382573481
>>382573271

I think IV is very CPU intensive, the game seems to run at like 45 FPS on my rig
>>
>>382573819
Niko obviously. He's a legit good guy who also happens to kill people as a hobby
>>
>>382569235
>MUH HONORABLE WARRIOR CULTURE
LMAO you are the autistic one.
>>
>>382573819
Johnny but not what they did to him in V.
>>
>>382566476
At this point Niko was in too deep in the criminal world. He just enjoyed it and consider it to be the best line of work he's ever been in.
>>
>>382573703
GTA 5 was really up front with who it wanted to throw shade at; that's why most of us didn't really find it funny, since the humor just came off as le ironic and the satire as too obvious. Plus I'm sure you remember the huge row over the torture scene and the fact that the player has to do it. I think that old Rockstar you speak of is still there.
>>
>>382567518
It has the craziest missions in IV. You can definitely see there the first traces of GTA V.
>>
>>382574130
In addition, that whole arc was Niko either doing favors for people who helped him or trying to gain leads as to the whereabouts of Florian and Darko after him and Roman finally get a bit of a foothold in LC, so there were additional things going on
>>
>>382567518
This
>>382574407
plus storywise, you get the final leg and conclusion to the diamonds subplot that both the base game and TLAD set up from Niko's and Johnny's perspectives. It's really something to behold
>>
>>382568394
>reading comprehension
>>
GTA IV is so weird. Takes place in 2008 but it often feels like New York in the 1970s. 2008 New York didn't have Italisn/Irish mobs running shit. And it was fucking bizarre how they just had internet cafes and acted like "going online" was amazingly new in 2008....It's weird how it tried to resemble modern day but didn't feel like it at all. If you take away the internet, feels like the game could easily take place in the 70s.

Also even at the time, the political satire was outdated, focusing on terrorism was weird, that was moreso a 2001-2005 thing
>>
>>382574060
Why did Johnny start smoking meth? He seemed smart enough not to do it.
>>
>>382573271
GTAIV is super CPU dependent, you can actually play it on laptop iGPUs if the CPU is still good and you've got the memory.

I also wouldn't super trust your enb.
>>
Ashley probably did something that broke him.
>>
Something that always disturbed me: sometimes when you leave the internet cafe, the guy behind the counter says "I hope the internet was worth it..."
>>
>>382574930
>>382575067
>>
>>382574808
But wasn't it 2007 where the Internet really started to catch on with the ordinary person and become ingrained in the culture of normal people? At least that's what /v/ complains about in those "the year the internet died" threads. Also I guess they were just trying to portray and exaggerate New York under the Bush presidency
>>
>>382574808
Not really, I think it was something new only for Niko - and considering he's from Balkans and spent the last few years mostly on the sea it's rather possible.
>>
>>382574808
I know that it is literally set in 2008 but I feel that they were going for 2003-4. Keep in mind it was a huge game and as such had an extended development period. The plot and ideas were probably explored in early development, also regarding the internet cafes that seems to me more to reference the low end technology that the poor generally encounter. Niko doesn't have a computer, and the whole smartphones thing fit in very well for the time period.
>>
>>382575461

I know it technically takes place in 2008, but I really consider it to take place in 2003-2004. Makes way more sense that way
>>
>>382575179
I'm guessing he's referencing internet addiction or the negative aspects of social networking in some way
>>
File: enb2017_6_29_8_1_31.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
enb2017_6_29_8_1_31.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>382575064
Only reason I use an enb is because I don't like the murky look IV had. Also the game doesn't have any support for AA on PC.
>>
>10th year anniversary edition on next gen consoles with 60 fps gameplay when?

Shame Rockstar will be forever riding the online meme after 5.
>>
>>382556993
>>Killing Dwayne just because Playboy pays

I never do that. Playboy's penthouse (lol) is the best apartment in the game.
>>
>>382574808
>2008 New York didn't have Italisn/Irish mobs running shit.

Can someone expand on this? In 2008 what was the state of the Italian mob in New York, and gangs in general? My feeling is that organized crime was virtually irrelevant and most of the crime in NYC in 2008 was just petty drug deals and gang shootings in inner city black neighborhoods
>>
>>382574731
The Diamonds storyline got me so hard when I first when through it. The part at the museum is wonderful. Hell, in general all the connections between the protagonists are great.
>>
>>382575643
I know, I like enb as well. I can't find all my old screenshots for some reason but I had some fantastic ENB ones. I only meant that some ENBs are a little buggy, whereas others are fine. On my 770 I run the game at 4K (downscaled) with an enb, it's definitely your CPU.
>>
They won't do it because they can't cut corners like they did with San Andreas.
>>
>>382538718
can somebody gif me gtav onn steam?
>>
>>382572576
>the setting is trash, it should have been set in Liberty City

Anon, I...
>>
>>382573481
This particular scenario sounds like a streaming issue. The game was chugging because it was streaming in new assets. By the time you left the menu it was done streaming so then the framerate was where it should have been if not for streaming. I'm sure it didn't take long to start sucking again if you moved elsewhere. As long as you stay in the same place performance should stay good.
>>
>>382575823
I found these after a quick Google search
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Families
>The crime families historically operated throughout the New York Metropolitan area, but mainly within New York City's boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx and Staten Island. In the state of New York the gangs have increased their criminal rackets in Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk) and the counties of Westchester, Rockland, and Albany. They also maintain a strong presence in the state of New Jersey.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Commission_(mafia)
>The Commission is still reported to exist today, though its current membership is composed of only the bosses of the Five Families and the Chicago Outfit. Its activities have receded from public view as a matter of necessity, like much of the Mafia in general. The five New York City bosses have not met since Paul Castellano was killed in 1985 because of increased law enforcement scrutiny.[2]

>Instead of a meeting of bosses, underbosses or captains meet secretly to discuss business and govern.[11]

Most of the sources seem to be from the early 2000s as well
>>
>>382571915
lawyer
Niko can't resist sticking it into crazy
>>
I am kind of sad that they separated the two GTA timelines. Seeing Tommy referenced in some way in GTA IV or V would have been pretty awesome.
>>
>>382574808
>online cafes and basic websites

Late 90s, early 2000s. Also fits the Eastern European war thing. Is it ever stated that the game is set in the present day? I immediately assumed it was set around 2000 based on these two things.
>>
>>382576805
You can see the 2008 year tag in some places, and I think the characters mention it once in a while.
>>
>>382576803
They're not entirely separated, for example Love Fist from VC appears in V. Also Lazlow appears in every single GTA since 3, although mostly just as a radio host, V is the only one where he appears in flesh.
>>
Which GTA had the best three main characters, IV or V?
>>
>>382577456
How is that even a question?
Also is it true that RDR2 is supposed to have multiple protags as well? Will R* never free itself of this gimmick after GTAV? It was nice for one game, but that's it.
>>
>>382577456
IV's; though V's had a lot more to them if you were willing to put in the work to find everything, there were still things about them that weren't completely fleshed out and a bunch of missed opportunities; Franklin's and Trevor's mutual depression and suicidal tendencies for one
>>
>>382577601
Whatever it takes to keep this damn thread alive, dammit.
>>
TLaD is underrated. Great game with a great thematic. Also, the first explicit genitalia in the saga.
>>
>>382577739
Alright, different question. Which game had the best strip clubs?
>>
>>382577921
I'd say V's; the strippers were generally much hotter and they could actually become booty calls, plus there was the first person interactivity
>>
>>382566191
Killing someone's kid in the first place is cowardly.
>>
>>382577921
i found out like a week ago there are like 5 strip clubs in san andreas. i only knew of the pig pen.

in terms of babes, gta as a series has always had shit character models, but i think i perfer 4 for thet one hillbilly slut with pigtails
>>
If anyone's playing GTA IV on PC, here's some helpful stuff I found.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/569019-betaiveflc-graphical-bug-fixes/

http://gtaforums.com/topic/760761-eflcrel-pc-quality-texture-update/

I'd also recommend making a commandline.txt to help the game run slightly better. IV is a weird shit port and it has problems that won't ever go away or get fixed, but these came in handy.
>>
I still think the deal ending is better in terms of writing, mostly because roman dying is alot more interesting than literally who kate.
>>
>>382577715
the entire V story was a clusterfuck

franklin's character is literally pointless. trevor and michael were interesting because of the betrayal factor...but then the climax just fizzled and nothing came of it. what a let down. and of course the canon fairy-tale ending because the devs were pussies and couldn't make you kill one of them
>>
>>382580425
>and couldn't make you kill one of them
If you wanted a darker ending you could pick option A and B. I kind of agree that "deathwish" might have been an actual deathwish for Frank, but I honestly really enjoyed the "switching through characters, riding around the map and taking care of everyone who wronged you" segment in the last mission. I guess they could have made Franklin die without scrapping that though instead of going full forever after.
On the other hand, having to lose all the assets and cash you accumulated as one character through the game and access to his side mission would be a bitch
>>
>>382580425
>Franklin's character is literally pointless

Franklin has a point: To be the token nigger.
>>
>>382580942
Atleast if you killed trevor his money would get split between frank and micheal making killing him the best choice
>>
File: 1495655766029.jpg (170KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
1495655766029.jpg
170KB, 600x580px
>>382580942
oh yeah i forgot you can't even kill franklin
>>
>>382580425
Actually, there was a lot of point to Franklin's character and there's a very good reason why he has the final choice. When Michael and Trevor's bad blood interferes with the job, Franklin is always the one who has to pick up the slack and control the situation, and he usually does so effectively. For Michael, Franklin is the only static crew member on Michael's heist crew (granted, I know that it's mostly because he's a playable character) but my point stands because canonically, Franklin has never failed a role Michael has put him in; only the other heist crew members can fail. Coupled with the fact that Franklin has never failed Michael when asked to aid Michael with family matters, and the fact that he was able to convince Trevor to reveal Michael was kidnapped and subsequently track down and save Michael by himself, he gains Michael's trust. He does almost the same thing for Trevor and the O'Neill's and that's partly why he has Trevor's trust.

Franklin was never meant to be THE main character or the focus of the story in the first place. Franklin's the outsider, in terms of his race, upbringing, experience, and in his status as the designated middleman. The neutral party. GTA 5's story is mainly about the bad blood between Michael and Trevor, and it's an attempt to tackle the dilemma of the relative importance of family vs. friends, albeit in a distinctly GTA fashion, and this is done through Michael's and Trevor's worldviews, which clash and they change as a result. They're volatile characters, and Franklin is not.

(1/2)
>>
>>382581406
Steve Haines and Devin Weston know this, he's the outsider, the observer, and that's why he's given the final choice. A static character is predictable, and that's why they don't have to worry about Franklin. He's static to Haines because he doesn't deviate from his assigned job, and he's static to Michael and Trevor because of the image he gave both of them: that he's unequivocally loyal. Since that is the case, they would not have any reason to suspect his betrayal, and Haines knows this too, that's why he asks Franklin to kill Trevor because Trevor knows Michael's character might shift again, so he will not let Michael "get close to him," while he thinks Franklin's static personality makes him a reliable friend, so Franklin is the only one who can get close to him.

(2/2)
>>
>>382581406
>>382581513

I love write ups like this, thanks for posting it. I did like how Franklin seemed to be the outsider of the duo, yet he is the one who makes the decision
>>
File: x3Vp4f8cJ2OD.jpg (31KB, 373x521px) Image search: [Google]
x3Vp4f8cJ2OD.jpg
31KB, 373x521px
>>
>>382581762
Thanks, that's not really the whole thing though, just the parts relevant to the current discussion
>>
File: Roman_Bellic_GTAIV_Nikoscousin.png (367KB, 572x410px) Image search: [Google]
Roman_Bellic_GTAIV_Nikoscousin.png
367KB, 572x410px
>>382581892
Damn it, I didn't mean to make that a spoiler image. It really isn't Fuck'n hate my touchy ass mouse
>>
>>382581406
>>382581513
lmoa you don't need a 3rd character to be the voice of reason, that's the player's job

the story should've been michael and trevor doing heists and shit while gradually unraveling their history culminating in a climax where one of them dies. predictable but still interesting if done right. the "hol up dont do dat" nig didn't add anything
>>
All muh diversity and SJWs memes aside, do you think that a GTA game with female protagonist might work? Why and why not? And if it couldn't work with her as a singular, full protag, could she at least be one of the few, like in V?
>>
>>382538718
childhood is when you idolize GTAV
adulthood is when you realize that GTAIV is the better game
>>
>>382582453
Of course you do, how is the player going to talk to Michael and Trevor on his own in order to dissuade the bad blood between them? GTA isn't an RPG; there are no dialogue trees to be found. You need an avatar with which to communicate with them and get them to work together, and Franklin is that avatar. And you didn't address any of the points I brought up, you simply reiterated your previous opinion without any proof that he was pointless. I gave my reasoning, let's hear yours.
>>
>>382558059
i hate this fucking word
>>
>>382582738
Wouldn't work for reasons that are obvious enough you shouldn't have to ask. The fact that you are asking means your mind has been poisoned by SJWism no matter how vigilant you think you are against it.

That said, they will definitely do it soon. Maybe not in the next game yet but it will happen.
>>
cant wait for GTA VI to come out so the contrarian GTA V threads become a thing
this board is the worst
>>
File: Westdyke_(From_Cariboo_Ave.).png (724KB, 1175x797px) Image search: [Google]
Westdyke_(From_Cariboo_Ave.).png
724KB, 1175x797px
>tfw you will never live in alderney
>>
>>382583963

GTA IV has always has a dedicated fanbase. It's not like everyone who hated IV suddenly likes it. It's more like everyone who hated IV doesn't really care to talk about it anymore, and the only people talking about it now are the dedicated fans.
>>
>>382583963
>79 posters with you included, plus give or take another 6 or 7 who don't like the game and have basically said so
The majority of the board still hates this game, go to VC/SA threads for further evidence, they always have more posters. The Zelda cycle isn't in effect for IV, at least not here.
>>
>>382556120
after i finished V, it felt like a big chunk of the story is missing, for example, the black dude progresses too quickly, there's almost no animosity between him and his "nemesis" which left me scratching my head when i have to kill him at the end, because i couldn't even remember who the fuck his nemesis was
>>
why are the shadows in this game so fucking dark
>>
File: 1487480566233.jpg (65KB, 770x702px) Image search: [Google]
1487480566233.jpg
65KB, 770x702px
>>382577921
>tfw so shy that I don't even go to strip clubs in GTA games
>when another character wants to go out to a strip club on a friend activity I'll go but leave like a minute later
>always turn down lapdances from the strippers
>>
>>382584539
Stretch wasn't really his nemesis though, not in the same sense as Tenpenny was for CJ. He was just another asshole from Franklin's youth and another person for Franklin to escape. Him and Franklin show plenty of animosity towards each other in The Long Stretch, and it's also heavily implied that Stretch is in cahoots with the Ballas ever since he's been in prison. That's why he's so friendly with the Balla Lamar kidnapped, D. He's also responsible for almost getting you and Lamar killed three different times. Even so, to Franklin, he was just another loose end to get rid of, just look at the dialogue for The Third Way
>Stretch? We wanna throw him in as well?
The Third Way isn't mainly about killing the main villains, it's simply the symbolic patching up of the friendship between the characters by uniting of their own free wills and working towards a common goal. The main conflict of GTA V was the conflict between the protagonists themselves, and not all three protags vs. external forces like in older GTAs. In that sense, V's story is a bit novel for the series.
>>
>>382583963
Nope. GTA is like TES in that regard. Oblivion (with mods) is still well regarded and gets countless nostalgia threads. Skyrim won't because it's simply shit. Same for GTA 5, it's simply shit. Also Morrowind and SA didn't stop being well regarded at any point. Sometimes a new game is just shit and will never be liked by anyone worth talking to.
>>
Ok this is driving me nuts. I often read that if you get into a car, and don't press anything, Niko will put on a seatbelt. But I have tried this and I don't see it, Niko does not make the motion to put it on. Was I being trolled? There is definitely no seatbelt
>>
>>382585502
Not if TeSVI will be even more shit than Skyrim, I can guarantee that we will see a lot of Skyrim appreciation threads then. Because let's face it, despite its obvious flaws and it being much worse than Morrowind and Oblivion, it was still enjoyable and most of people shitting on it will realise that have actually enjoyed it as well.
>>
>>382544947
American education, most americans don't even realise they bombed Belgrade and killed shitloads of civilians and those that do think it was a jolly good time
>>
>>382585908
There's no animation or sound effect, but if you wait a few seconds before driving off, you most likely won't fly through the windshield when you have a head-on collision.

Check out this guy's channel, he does a lot of videos pointing out the details in IV and V.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3aIsM3Voo
>>
>>382585910
Well, I won't be one of them. I've developed sixth game sense and am no longer susceptible to any kind of marketing. Despite being a "fan" of GTA 4 and modded Oblivion I never had to play GTA 5 or Skyrim. Just seeing unedited user (not dev or shill) gameplay from them told me all I needed to know about those two games.

It started with dodging cash in sequels (Battlefield BC 2, Halo Reach) in my console days but I still had a soft spot for some games like Crysis and would buy shitty sequels against better judgment. One of the last regretful purchases was Dishonored, bought because of Dark Messiah devs. Nowadays I'm 100% immune. Recent lackluster games I dodged with ease: Dishonored 2, DE:MD
>>
>>382550025

The problem is very simple: Rockstar decided to do a story that didn't work together with trademark gameplay elements of a GTA game.

For the story to make sense, once Niko has a comfortable enought life, he would have to stop working as a hired gun and stop being a thug. But what about the game then? A GTA game without shooting, car chases, explosions, etc.? That would be inacceptable.

By trying to make GTA IV realistic, the story developed into one direction and the gamplay into another. I think that's the main reason why GTA IV felt disappointing, at least for me. Rockstar raised questions but didn't accept the answer because they knew it would betray the gameplay foundation.

If they had really balls, the second part of the game would be nothing but missions consisting of Niko working and living a normal (and probably boring) life. But imagine what enormous backlash they would have gotten.
>>
>>382587083
>If they had really balls, the second part of the game would be nothing but missions consisting of Niko working and living a normal (and probably boring) life. But imagine what enormous backlash they would have gotten.

I actually would have really enjoyed that. IV was designed with a deliberately slower, more life-like pace, so I would have enjoyed more "slice of life" missions. Why not take full advantage of the city they designed and have Niko do more mundane tasks like taking fares from all over the city, or managing shops?
>>
>>382538718
Don't get me wrong, I like GTA 4 and the analyzes about it, but we already discussed literally EVERYTHING about this game from every single possible point of view.
>>
>>382571380
for fuck's sake, it even takes control away from you when walking in certain areas, the player model goes on autopilot and walks for you, fuck that piece of shit "game"
>>
>>382587083
The second half? No, the premise of Nico not wanting to kill goes out the window within the first hour of playing. The plot falls apart there. Doing a weird twist that stops all the action in its tracks AFTER the player has already given up on the story AND become accustomed to the action-heavy gameplay would be the worst of both worlds. Either give Nico some principles right away and leave all the mindless killing to the "non-canon" free-roam parts (side missions the player can choose to do or not) or drop the bullshit and just make Nico a sociopathic asshole who doesn't feel bad about killing, perfectly in line with the player's own attitudes towards the inhabitants of Liberty City.
>>
>>382587882
>Nico
Why?
>>
>>382588035
Is it Niko after all? I read someone else type it "Nico" earlier and just went with it. I've got subtitles off ingame so I don't really read his name.
>>
>>382587323

Yeah, I think I would have loved it as well, if they had good characters and funny stories that went with that everyday life.
A slow-paced, and "comfy" liberty city atmosphere, without all the darkness of the underground that Niko escaped.
And I bet you could have easily found hundreds of interesting real-life New York stories involving cab-drivers, hot-dog sellers, dock workers and so on to use them as inspiration.

But yeah, I don't want to sound elitist, but I guess Rockstar estimated correctly that a vast part, maybe the majority of the players wouldn't appreciate that. They are here only for shooting, car-chases, killing, helicopters, and so on.
Not that it's a bad thing, but this would have been a great opportunity to try something new. Especially after having almost perfected that forumla in GTA: SA.
>>
>>382587083
But the gameplay isn't at odds with the story, at least in my opinion, for reasons like these
>>382552697

And also, IV is divided into three story arcs, all dedicated to one of Niko's goals, primary, secondary, and tertiary
>Primary: helping out Roman with his cab business and getting Roman out of the trouble he landed himself in, while coming to terms with the fact that things aren't as good as Roman promised
>Secondary: Trying to survive while on the run while building up a real living for themselves at the same time
>Tertiary: Helping out friends and those you owe favors too, searching for Florian Cravic and Darko Brevic and resolving Niko's past, and finding Dimitri
Niko needs to be well off and establish a number of contacts in order to do the third thing, which is what he does in the second arc by helping Elizabeta and the McReary family. He still kills in the third arc even though he's well off because more money is always a plus, the FIB is on his tail because of Karen, and finally, doing that is the only way his established contacts will help him achieve his final goals. The hypocritical image described is being fleshed out more and more each of these times Niko achieves his goals using these methods.
>>382587882
That's not the premise though, those are simply Niko's hopes. Niko's actual goal is to build a new life for himself in America with Roman and escape his past life, not specifically to stop killing people. Niko has no qualms about killing, he never had. The reason he starts again is because of his adherence to his ideal of protecting his family from being taken advantage of, and because of Roman's actions landing them in hot water with the mob.
>>
>>382588240
>>382587083
Red dead actually tried that a bit, where they made a clever showing of how john cant let go of his old gun slinging ways (How many of you saved the train instead of just letting it go) yet people dont like that part because its boring even though it gives a great insight into john, and the players character.
>>
>>382587882

I get where you are coming from and in principle you are right. But for the sake of a story-arc, to see the change in character reflected in gameplay, you would have to introduce the action-heavy gamplay and then at some point exchange it for non-violent one.

I guess you could change Niko's story in a way that would show him that he is still stuck in the violent ways of the Balkan wars, even after all these years later and can't move on, like PTSD.
And then, in a new environnement, he gradually comes to a realization that violence isn't the way.
The story would have to be changed, but I think it could be well done.
Also, most people with bad habits know about them deep down, but to really accept them and then to change them, takes a really long time.
>>
>>382589017
He does come to that realization, that's the whole reason the Darko choice and the Deal ending exist; they're the climactic nonviolent solutions to Niko's problems with his past and his current problems with Dimitri. The Darko choice makes Niko see that taking revenge won't actually change what he has become, or that abstaining from revenge actually makes him feel a bit better, as shown by his interaction with Bernie
The Deal ending is the first real opportunity Niko gets in the storyline to try a peaceful solution to a big dilemma, and like all the other times Niko has tried to go legit, such as taking on the job as Roman's taxi driver ending in a shootout with Jacob and Roman eventually suggesting Niko try his old ways instead, it goes wrong and Niko is forced to use violence once again.
>>
>>382589787
>>382589017
Also, I'll add that he does have PTSD; he's clearly jaded from all the violence he's had to commit over the years, and that jadedness has made him feel that killing is the only real route open to him because he's so good at it and it's so easy for him. It's made him lose the sense of the human life having any value, and that's why he feels nothing when he kills someone, and why he does it so many times, with the encouragement of practically everyone who knows him, I might add.
>>
>if you go on a date with Michelle first before saving Roman from Loan Sharks, Roman actually calls you to pick him up from hospital
pretty cool
>>
>>382589787

It's been a while since I played GTA IV and I could have sworn that the Darko choice was exactly in the midpoint in the game. But it's at the very end, as I see now.

Because in my memory the Drako choice was at the mid point of the game, Niko could have had his realisation and then retired from working as a thug.
And that's why I critisised the game for not allowing a peaceful second half of the game where there Niko doesn't use any violence.
But since the Drako choice is at the very end of the game, my point is mute.
>>
>>382591139
I think it kind of depends on the order in which you do missions. It's always somewhere in the second half, but can be sooner or later.
>>
>>382563104
>he doesnt like the bagger

Its a cruising cycle you fucking plebs. Its aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>382591807
Aesthetic my ass, it look like and drives like ass. I wish it was a Wayfarer.
>>
>>382591520

Well, the way I remember playing it, I spared Darko, Niko learned his lesson and one mission later, he let's himself easily persuade to go kill some more people for money again. And then again and again. It was well before the ending decision, in my memory.

And at that time the story fell completely apart for me, because after having let go Drako, he had more than enough money and a nice appartement. Why continue with this violent way of life if he had closure?

That's why I thought that the gameplay and the story didn't add up.

If you have the mission order in a way where you have the Drako choice just one or two missions before the ending, I guess I can see the story make better sense.
>>
>>382565924
>stupid NA Audience

Thats why its sold nearly double by 4 million on PS4 in yuropistan.
>>
>>382591139
Even so, the realization I speak of is only about revenge and its worth; it's not about how killing people is wrong. Niko's too far gone to have that realization, and as supporting as all his friends are, they never actually succeed or even attempt to rekindle the love of human life in Niko; they simply make him feel better about himself despite the mistakes he's made. The lack of worth in human life that Niko sees was ingrained in him ever since he was a young child, during his career as a child soldier. That's not something you exactly get over, it's something you hold for life. Niko would have never reconsidered his opinion about people.

Also, I'll add that Kate is slightly different, she's the only one who believes that Niko has the capability to see the worth in human life again, and look what happens to her. She either dies or she can no longer tolerate being around the only man she fell in love with. Either way, she's not around anymore. The world of GTA is a world where killing is the norm and is accepted as a part of life, especially in Liberty City. Just watch the documentary about its history and listen to some of the radio stations. The courts are places where
>morality is severely punished
the judicial system is known as the Justice Entertainment System, and cases are resolved by gladiator fights and pistol duels. Killing being perfectly normal is ingrained in its values Niko was never going to reconsider his views on human life in such a horrible place. But he tries to make the best of it and be happy, which is what he says if he spares Darko.
>>
>>382585910
That never happened with FO3, though.

Actually, there were plenty of things about 3 that I liked, particularly Tenpenny Tower and being greeted by Lucas Simms in Megaton, but all in all NV is the better game thanks to the nonlinear plot, quality writing, and attention to worldy details.
>>
>>382574014
He's right, though, but war tends to make even the strongest men into animals, regardless. It would be nice if we at least tried to live by higher ideals.
>>
File: 234723542673.png (62KB, 1500x1477px) Image search: [Google]
234723542673.png
62KB, 1500x1477px
Why was the character development so lazy?
>4 brothers to get missions from all named McQueary
>Then the love of Niko's life apparently ALSO a McQueary
>2 Jewish names with practically the same naming convention. Johnny KleBBiTZ and Brucie KiBBuTZ
>2 Rays, Peg's guy and Bulgarin's first name
>Russian enemies named Vlad Dmitri and Mikhail
>Your own cousin so BELLIC BELLIC BELLIC 3 times a sentence

Not to mention EVERYONE knows each other. Roman just happens to know the guy who can find Bernie. Peg just so happens to make a deal with the Russians aka Dmitri. It was a joke.

Outside of UL Paper and Little Jacob there were hardly any good unique characters
>>
>>382593059
3 gets shat on too hard imo. I mean, it IS full of plotholes, shit writing and rough corners an NV is objectively better, but 3 is still very fun and enjoyable and has a great atmosphere. It's also the comfy as hell.
4 is utter, irredeemable shit though.
>>
>>382593227
wow, autism is off the charts
>>
>>382574808
1. 70s New York is completely different than any other time period in that city.
2. They're slavs, and to Niko going online probably is somewhat of a thing.
3.>>382576805 car models say otherwise
4.It's GTA, so that explains the Mafia presence, also they tried their best to show the Russian Mafia had gained more influence than any other criminal group, which is accurate.

Classic Italian gangsters were able to run the show because they were immigrants who valued their lives less. The Sopranos demonstrates the way in which the Mafia has become Americanized and soft. Because of this, Russian gangsters have begun to dominate. Also the same reason black gangs are so prevalent in the US, and why fighting the Vietnamese or Arabs is so terrifying for even the best equipped American troops.
>>
>>382592861

Well, thanks for your insights! I always had the image of Niko being someone who was forced by circumstances in Liberty City to be violent, not because human life didn't matter to him.

But I guess I missed these aspects you mentioned.

I wonder if Rockstar really believes that's how the world works at the core and they are pointing it out by exaggerating it so much in the satire world of GTA.
>>
>>382593227
Names have nothing to do with character development though, plus it's not like we were any strangers to the fact that the 4 brothers and Kate were related; they're seen in the same house many times. Niko helps them all out, they reward him with the opportunity to participate in the big heist, and Niko does missions for them to repay that favor. Niko gets to know Kate better in the process by going on dates with her.

Also, Roman doesn't know anyone, you find out about Ray through working with Packie, Ray sees you're good at what you do, he calls you up and has you kill people for him, and rewards you with info regarding Florian Cravic, or Bernie.

And what's wrong with Pegorino making a deal with Dimitri? He was from Alderney, Dimitri was from Broker, and they were both in the process of building criminal empires, Dimitri with Ray's assistance. That's why Dimitri has Faustin killed. It makes sense to me; if they pair up, they gain control of two islands of the game and a little bit of the third.
>>
>>382593227
Most of those are nitpicks and I'm pretty sure apart from Bulgarin and Petrovic, Dimitri was the only high ranking Russian mafioso in the city at that time. It makes sense.
>>
>>382593227
It's McReary you fucking faggot
>>
>>382594187
IV is probably the first GTA where doing the side content, as per the course in an open world game, adds to everyone's characterization; a bit of Niko's past is touched upon in the main missions, and Niko goes into great detail about it in the hangouts. Basically, Niko was a child soldier in the Serbian conflict for many years, and after his squad is betrayed by Darko, Niko goes on the run and becomes a human trafficker for Ray Bulgarin. During both portions of his life, he kills a lot of people, some undeserving of death. Niko botches a job through no fault of his own, but Bulgarin loses a lot of money in the process. This is why he's out for Niko. Dimitri has been in contact with Bulgarin for a while, and is Bulgarin's sort of representative in America. When Dimitri has an opening to get Niko killed by Ray, he takes it. He tricks Niko into killing Faustin so Ray thinks that Niko is trying to take over his operation, and lures Niko to a deal to finish the job. Ironically, he does this for much the same reasoning Niko kills for Roman: Dimitri is loyal to Bulgarin and is simply having someone killed as a favor for an old friend.
>>
Why GTA 4 cant be modded like GTA 3?
>>
i wish there was more stuff to do in IV besides main missions
you have
>hangouts
>stevie's car missions
>cop manhunts
and that's it
>>
>>382573271
>AMD
Your build is shit, that is why.
>>
>>382594187
>>382595208
Also, I should conclude by saying that the world of GTA is as much its own world as the world you'll see in other video games; it just happens to be a satire of ours. It's a world where everything that goes on in the shadows and is spoken about in hushed voices and rumors is brought to the limelight and treated as normal society, and the concepts of morality and justice are flipped on their head and the consequences are explored. That's personally why I find the GTA world so interesting, yes, it emulates our world in a lot of places, but it's also so much different. It's like playing through a parallel universe, and it's fun to compare it to ours and see how characters we sympathize and see a bit of the humanity we know and sometimes cherish deal with such an abhorrent place.
>>
>>382595727
Well to be fair, there's a few you're forgetting
>girlfriends (they work differently than the normal friend hangouts)
>assassination missions
>recreational spots and theatres
>Brucie's car thefts
>street races
>Jacob's jobs
>stunt jumps
>pigeons
>QUB3D arcade game
>random encounters (16 extra missions)
>exploring the in-game internet; the locations of all of the above can be found there
And then you can get to fucking around with the physics and the friend rewards, plus there's the multiplayer, which was apparently pretty good when the game came out. Also, the hangouts themselves are a really important part of the IV experience, so it's best to do all of them for every character.

Wish they had an ice cream mission though.
>>
>>382582738
I dunno, if written appropriately I believe it could work. Catalina was a pretty effective villain in 3 and SA, by the virtue of being a power hungry psychotic bitch. I wonder how it'd be like creating a complete monster the likes of Claude or Tommy in a new GTA, only with a vagina.
>>
File: 20170701023115_1.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170701023115_1.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>
One of my favorite stages in GTA IV is the beginning, when you're living in a shitty apartment, doing jobs for Roman, just walking around the city getting to know it. Rockstar could make a game that had nothing to do with crime and it'd still be great.
>>
>>382600859
>Rockstar could make a game that had nothing to do with crime and it'd still be great.

I almost feel like that's what they wanted to do with IV. It seems like they designed the city first.
>>
i don't get why i bought this game twice. i bought the game on xbox 360 and then pc for the trainer. i didn't like the game. i was hoping for san andreas just next gen graphics.
>>
>>382601016
Not to shit on GTA V, but I don't think I ever got this feeling in LS. I couldn't really get into the urban areas there, and the desert wasn't that interesting anymore because it's just that, a desert. I liked getting lost in the country and the desert of SA because there were other cities you could reach and those were just areas in between. As it was, I didn't enjoy V's settings that much.
>>
Why were the talk radio stations so much better than 5
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.