[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post severely underrated/obscure games you love and why. >Salt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

Post severely underrated/obscure games you love and why.

>Salt and Sanctuary
>Managed to be a better/funner Souls game than actual Souls games.
>More lore
>Better level-up system
>God-like music
>Fun fucking bosses
>Dope artstyle
>>
Is this a free flash game?
>>
>>382536715
I know you're baiting but no. Play it, it's great. Metroidvanias and Souls had a lovechild.
>>
>>382536796
>if I don't like something it's bait
I don't give a shit about either.
>>
>>382536901
Well, cause you're wrong, it's not a free flash game. But it's a common insult by those who don't want to play it, that's why I assumed it was bait.

Post a game you love then.
>>
>>382536715
Several years ago, it probably would've been one. It certainly feels like one to me. Everything is a 1:1 copy of Dark Souls. The magic mechanics are probably the only thing in the game that I thought was creative, and those are indeed pretty good, but everything else felt too derivative. I thought the game was just too easy with 2D instead of 3D. Also didn't like the art style because, like you said, it looks incredibly reminiscent of those flash games. The animations feel that way too.
>>
>>382536796
>Metroidvanias and Souls had a lovechild

Yes, Hollow Knight. You know, the game that is actually dope.
>>
File: Shadowbane_Coverart.png (150KB, 256x361px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowbane_Coverart.png
150KB, 256x361px
>>382537037
Sure.
>>
>>382536668
>Dope artstyle
Ugly Invader Zim faces with shitty body silhouettes, the art style is the worst part of the game.
>>
File: Spellforce TOoD.jpg (57KB, 358x500px) Image search: [Google]
Spellforce TOoD.jpg
57KB, 358x500px
Spellforce: The Order of Dawn

>RPG/RTS Hybrid
>6 races to play as, you play as all of them throughout the campaign at some point
>some really innovative ideas that I would've liked to see more in games, like the click&fight system
>Very long playtime without feeling padded, easily 70-80 hours for the campaign, with around 20-25 hours for each of the two addons
>great music, if you're into that

Too bad Spellforce 2 doesn't really have the same charm in my opinion. Spellforce 3 is going to be released later this year by different devs, and it looks absolutely boring in my opinion. They tuned it down to 3 races instead of 6, and guess which ones they left in.
Yeah, humans, elves and orcs. The three most boring and unoriginal ones. Well fucking done, assholes. Everything about Spellforce 3 screams "standard fantasy" and I am afraid that when it drops, newcomers to the series are not going to be interested in Spellforce 1 anymore after seeing how uninspired Spellforce 3 might turn out.

Spellforce 1 is fun as hell though.
>>
>>382537052
artstyle I'll give you, it seems there's no other opinion other than love it or hate it. I don't think being derivative is that bad though considering the devs did a great job though. Lighting, atmosphere, boss mechanics and all that. It even has the whole DaS2 E3 lighting" gimmick built in, which I thought was well done. I don't understand when people say "derivative is bad" or "It's the same game as X just with a different coat of paint" for example, cause disregarding the fact it's the same dev, they do the same game with another coat of paint. All Souls games are pretty similar, all castlevanias, marios, metroids, zeldas, CoDs, racing games, jRPGs and so on and so forth.

As long as the game is good and well-made, why not? You like a game so you want more of it with a few changes so it feels new enough.
>>
The artsyle is wank, mate
>>
>>382536668
It was alright but they just transposed dark souls' gameplay into 2d and the lore is quite weak, I would have liked a bit more effort into storytelling.

It's not a better Souls game than the Souls game, this statement is retarded.
>>
>>382537775
I only said so cause I enjoyed it more. That said, the 2D metroidvania formula is one of my favourite game styles in general, so I really got into it. I do CV marathons almost yearly.
>>
>>382536668
>>382536796
>Metroidvanias and Souls had a lovechild.

It tries its absolute hardest to be a Souls knockoff but really doesn't play much like it beyond superficial shit.
It plays like a fairly standard metroidvania with somewhat above average combat.
>>
File: Underhell2.webm (3MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Underhell2.webm
3MB, 1200x675px
Dont mind me, Just shilling for the best mix of FEAR and Soldier of Fortune we will ever see in our lives
>>
>Dope artstyle
I've not looked into it beyond that, becasue it's downright hideous.
>>
>>382538168
That looks nice but what I find online says it's unfinished. Am I not looking at the right information ?
>>
>>382538168
Looks like it a CS mod, nothing like FEAR at all. What made you say that?
>>
>>382536668
Those are called opinions anon and you're pretty shitty at making that apparent.
>>
This one admittedly actually looks like it's drawing inspiration from Souls, unlike 99% of the time where Soulsfags pretend their game influenced another.
>>
File: 20170701173931_1.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170701173931_1.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
I regret nothing.
>>
>>382538703
Indie games tend to wear their inspirations on their sleeves.
>>
File: Dynasty_Warriors_5_Case.jpg (1MB, 1510x2156px) Image search: [Google]
Dynasty_Warriors_5_Case.jpg
1MB, 1510x2156px
>>382536668
>Dope artstyle
Why did you have to use this fucking word?
>>382536668
>dynasty warriors 5
>best gameplay of the ps2 games
>more officers to use then ever
>same core concept intact
>added bases to capture in the battle
>still has great music
>>
File: SpecOps The Line.jpg (30KB, 320x427px) Image search: [Google]
SpecOps The Line.jpg
30KB, 320x427px
>Filename

I don't care if the head writer is a pretentious piece of shit or if it's been done before. I love it to death, the music is fantastic, the combat works even if it's uninspired and the storytelling was excellent. So many easter eggs, levels are well designed and incredibly rich in detail and it was a great experience.

Fuck the haters, i love it. Also legit one of the hardest, most frustrating, nail-biting hard modes I have ever played. FUBAR made me foam at the mouth, walk away from the game and spent an entire week dreading the idea of tackling the next level. By the end, I felt connected to Walker cause I would've fucking murdered someone with my bare hands too.
>>
File: 332330_20170702230929_1.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
332330_20170702230929_1.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>382538709
Also note the "Ultimate" graphics are cancer, just play with the classic ones.
>>
>>382539054
>I get mad at words

How petty can a person be?
>>
File: 332330_20170702230901_1.png (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
332330_20170702230901_1.png
236KB, 1920x1080px
>>382539134
Classic graphics
>>
File: image.png (134KB, 256x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
134KB, 256x354px
This masterpiece right here
>>
>>382536668
>>Managed to be a better/funner Souls game than actual Souls games.
kys shill. game was extremely unoriginal and ugly
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.