[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good games set in modern Africa?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 20170630174651_1.jpg (985KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170630174651_1.jpg
985KB, 1920x1080px
So after reading a sick ass thread on modern African wars on /his/ and consequently going on a wikipedia binge on all it's history (also just watched Blood Diamond), I have a massive hard-on for anything 70s-90s Africa. Since Far Cry 2 seemed to be the obvious answer and I'd started the franchise on 3, I bought that shit in an instant for like 4 bucks on the steam sale.
Needless to say I played a bit before realising it was just proto farcry 3 and, for me, was unplayable. Shame because it's almost exactly the game I'm looking for, but instead of being a paramilitary soldier of fortune dropping behind enemy lines and destabilizing rebel nations, you're on malaria safari doing the usual banal far cry activities. I've only played about 80 minutes but I know what I'm in for.
So /v/, that brings me to now, I have an itch I can't scratch and I don't wanna settle for Far Cry 2, surely there are more games with the same setting?
>>
MGSV
>>>/wsr/
>>
Nope. There's only Far Cry 2, and it's not that bad, the game is just very mediocre, you can install few mods and it will be great, also it's not even similar to FC3 - this is not Skyrim with guns.
>>
>>382512381

Current day Africa? None that I know of. Anyway, I spent two years on assignment for my bank in Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic on the Congo, Ethiopia, and Kenya. Modern Africa is rather well developed now. Sick and tired of explaining to fellow Americans that no, Ethiopia isn't starving and not everyone is living in a hut killing each other and chasing zebras. Traffic is a fucking mess though, looking at you Kinshasa.
>>
>>382512381
Far Cry 2 and MGSV is all you get
>>
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 with expansions
>>
>>382512778
You with the UNICEF, or?
>>
I mean, it's not modern, but a lot of Halo 2, 3, and ODST take place in africa in the future.
>>
>>
>>382513048

No, I'm an underwriter at a major bank. We set up some branches across Africa and were also helping set up and standardize underwriting and credit policies across countries.
>>
>>382512778
Most modern african cities are fun too, I'm going to Lagos next week with a friend of mine who's fun there for a short vacation. Only downside is how expensive flights are since so few people go there.
>>
>>382512381
The reality of being of a "paramilitary soldier of fortune" is getting malaria and doing boring shit. You might as well just play any random shooter.
>>
>>382513160
Nice, how did you get that job? I'm thinking of either getting an army training and join UN, or get a wildlife biology degree so I could go to Africa, but first one is a little dumb, and the second one is too unrealistic.
>>
>>382513247
Paramilitary would imply being a part of a paramilitary organization rather than being a lone wolf.
>>
>>382513173

If you're near the Yaba suburb, stop by The Psychiatric Hospital. It's a bar and club in an old abandoned psychiatric hospital. It's actually pretty neat.
>>
>>382512664
FC2 was nothing but wasted potential. Making every firearm left handed also pisses me off. Worst part is there's no mod kit to unfuck the game.
>>
>>382513589
>Making every firearm left handed also pisses me off.
Yeah, I don't get why do people do this in games.
>>
there's some rhodesia mods for Arma

most are dead/incomplete
>>
>>382513676
Because it's a waste of resources to do otherwise.
If you're not making a complete detailed simulator it's an irrelevant feature.
>>
>>382513394

Graduated with my bachelor's in 2008 when the whole world economy was on life support. Couldn't find any good job so I immediately went to grad school for two years. Got an internship in grad school and they hired me after I graduated since I was single and willing to travel. So they shipped me overseas for a 2 year stint.

If you want jobs abroad, look into your country's state department/diplomatic corp. Also there are sites with job listings in Africa but from what I remember, they often require you to have a graduate degree and/or specialized skills. Kind of sucks that a bachelor's degree is the new high school degree. I couldn't get any good internships let alone job offers until grad school.
>>
>>382513451
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Any food recommendations?
>>
>>382512458
>>382512792
oh yeah I thought MGSV was set in Afghanistan but I remember seeing some of it being in Africa, fuck yeah thanks fellas I conveniently have it on my ps4 backlog. Gonna give it a toss.
>>382512664
yeah I installed a graphics mod (OP pic related) and Dylan's Realism mod which I thought would sort it out, but it still does resemble its descendants too much only with less mechanics, maybe I've just played the Far Cry games to death though.
>>382512778
wow, I'm jelly. Would love to go to Africa some day. Although I romanticize it's war history I am glad that it's become more stable.
>>
>>382513847
>Kind of sucks that a bachelor's degree is the new high school degree.
Yeah, I finished high school specialized for web developing, and now I can work in McDonalds or make web sites for local bars, and if I want to work at some IT firm I need to go through the same shit in college which I learned in high school.
>>
>>382513247
I dunno man. Africa in the past 40 years seems to be a gold mine for conflict involving paramilitary adventure seekers from all over the globe. Also like this anon >>382513435 said. I want a game where you're actually part of a disciplined military organization, doing dirty work dropping into recently declared independent states and fucking their shit up for profit. Not Far Cry 2 where >The reality of being of a "paramilitary soldier of fortune" is getting malaria and doing boring shit.
>>
I wish there more 70s-90s Africa settings in games.

I can relate to you not feeling Far Cry 2 at the beginning.BUT KEEP PLAYING! It plays more like Stalker than a conventional ubishit Far Cry. I was turned off in the beginning with all of the annoying hassles; jamming guns and constant Malaria.

Yet you begin to adapt to it and soon you'll be helping factions wage war on each other, looking for blood diamonds, all while tracking a gun runner who funded the civil war in the first place

Its pretty fun.
>>
>The Gods must be crazy: the video game
>>
>>382512381
Guy in video is a bit pretentious but take a watch of this. You might 'get it' when it comes to FC2 feeling proto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm5myQWcJxc
>>
GTA: San Andreas
>>
>>382513092
Fucking kek
>>
>>382517041
>>382517124
Can you grow chest hair?
>>
>>382514307
Word of warning, only the latter half of the game actually takes place in Africa, the first half is all Afghanistan.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.