[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

G4: Icons - Mega Man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: smiling inafune.jpg (171KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
smiling inafune.jpg
171KB, 400x403px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8cJPAfIwwo [Embed]

I remember seeing this after the MN9 kickstarter, and I believed that Inafune was the creator of MM and I only questioned it later. I'm gonna re-watch this later with a much more critical eye. This episode is ground zero for "Inafune is the creator of mega man"myth. Let's go through it shall we?

>shots of Inafune drawing mega man
>Inafune is the only Jap dev interview
>Inafune takes center stage and the entire special revolves around Inafune
>Inafune never mentions a single Japanese dev or their contributions, no names, nothing.
>narrator says "meet the man behind the mega"
>Inafune says that the character design is based on his childhood and that the game design is like going back to his childhood

So far it's heavily implied he's the creator of the series but it's never been stated. However, the narrator seems to firmly believe that the series is only Inafune's work, so this idea may predate this.

>"It was very fun to design that character"

Now he's outright saying it. I wonder if he's just saying "drew that character" and it's poor translation. But the fact that Inafune NEVER mentions anyone else makes me not want to be charitable with him.

5 seconds later:
>When I first designed the character, I had "Rock n Roll" in mind. That was the image I had when I designed a lot of the artwork
>"designed a lot of the artwork".

How the hell could Inafune design the characters when he joined the game late into production after all the characters had been made? He didn't design or name them. Note "designed a lot of the artwork". That seems like a strange word right? Makes me think they're mistranslating "Drawing".
>>
>>382473963

Either Inafune is outright lying, or the translators are idiots. The doc is certainly built around Inafune = creator, and any casual viewer without any more info will take away that message. But really listen carefully to Inafune's words, and they can fit an artist as well.

>Inafune talks about how 2 was where he got to do everything he wanted to
>adds a few "we" but still makes it sound like he was team leader
>There's a big chunk where it's idiot know nothing Westerners talking.
>The next bit of interviews are programmer Masaru Ijuin, and director Mashiro Yasuma both talking about Legends.
>Then Battle Network, then Zero.
>Ends with Inafune drawing Mega Man,
>"I have been making Mega Man for 15-16 years, I've never had enough of him".
>talks about unused enemy designs
>"The person who probably taught me the most about how to make games... is the blue bomber himself, Mega Man"
>end documentary

At this point I screamed at the screen. That was the perfect opportunity to mention SOMEONE else. Fuck what a self promoting con man.
>>
well he's a disgrace now so jokes on him
>>
File: CREATOR OF ONIMUSHA AND MEGA MAN.jpg (485KB, 1681x1017px) Image search: [Google]
CREATOR OF ONIMUSHA AND MEGA MAN.jpg
485KB, 1681x1017px
>>382474193
>well he's a disgrace now so jokes on him

Cuz he's all hype. He takes credit for projects and pushes himself as the most important person.
>>
>>382474030
As much as I'd like to believe that the translators might've fucked up it's probably unlikely.
>>
File: Ben, I'm already a conman.png (116KB, 945x279px) Image search: [Google]
Ben, I'm already a conman.png
116KB, 945x279px
>>
>>382476281

I want to be charitable to Inafune, I really do.
But his complete lack of referencing other people is suspicious. My take on Inafune is that he's a shameless self promoter. He alone at Capcom saw the power of being a "Celeb Dev" before anyone else, so he always pushed himself out there. If he gives an interview on a topic it's to promote his new games and to promote himself. He's NOT interested in giving an open historical account about past games.
>>
>>382478091
Basically, he saw John Romero and rather than take his rockstar days and downfall as a cautionary tale, thought it was a fantastic idea and copied it down to the ignoble fall from grace.
>>
>>382478802

Mighty Number 9 follows the path of Daikatana pretty closely:

>One guy is given credit for an entire team's work
>leaves to form his own company with new games
>Big hyped up game from Legendary Rock Star Dev
>tons of delays
>marketing disaster inspires mockery and backlash
>finally released and is savaged by critics and fans
>failure of game results in

The differences: Inafune blew 3.8 Marvelous' money on Kaoi King of Pirates, and 3.8 fan money on MN9 while Romero blew something like 30 million dollars on Daikatana. Yes, that game cost THAT much. It was just endless development that ate money. Their office tower was on the penthouse suite in some building and cost a huge amount.
>>
>>382478802

yeah, you're right. Inafune likely keeps up on western news since he's a worshipper of America. Probably saw Romero and was like "That's what I wanna be".
>>
>>382476281
>As much as I'd like to believe that the translators might've fucked up it's probably unlikely.

This is the only place I've seen where Inafune is outright taking credit for designing Rockman. In other places he's more nuanced.

This was broadcast on G4, and was part of the NGC version of the Anniversary collection so the damage this did was huge. It created a myth that won't die to this day.
>>
>>382480609
Yeah I posted the interview in the last MN9 thread mentioning Anniversary collection because it was the only thing where I think he called himself the creator.
>>
File: Con man.jpg (252KB, 1874x717px) Image search: [Google]
Con man.jpg
252KB, 1874x717px
>>382481164

The promos for his books and Anime convention bios outright state it too. See:>>382475810

This video relies on some knowledge of Japanese. The Nips love to borrow English words, especially for gaming. Inafune is literally saying:

>"I am Keiji Inafune, Mega man Game Creator."

However, they use the English loan words "Game Creator" is a generalized word for "developer" in Japan. Often, Inafuen's use of loan words is translated literally, causing confusion.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A0%E3%83%87%E3%82%B6%E3%82%A4%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC

In his official bios, they keep calling him the "charismatic game creator" or keep mentioning how charismatic he is, which is a strange turn of phrase. Turns out, that the bios use the English loan words "Charismatic game creator", which is a bit of a fluff often found in bios. Translating that literally probably isn't a good idea.

So just because the Nihonese use English loan words,dont' translate them literally.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.