[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

guess who's back to working on a paper mario fan game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: fangame.png (244KB, 1854x818px) Image search: [Google]
fangame.png
244KB, 1854x818px
guess who's back to working on a paper mario fan game?
>>
>>382461132
Is it you, anon?
Go get em, tiger.
>>
Why not make an original world though? All the best parts of Paper Mario are the new non-Mario aspects.
>>
>>382461474
simple: nostalgia. it would be amazing to release a level editor alongside this engine and see what people can come up with. i also enjoy the challenge of seeing how closely i can replicate scenes and mechanics from paper mario into fucking game maker studio
>>
Don't get C&D'd, senpai.
>>
>>382461917
This this this.
God bless you OP.
>>
File: 1493923137041.jpg (6KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493923137041.jpg
6KB, 240x240px
>>382461132
Welcome back.
>>
>>382461132
Are you the Paper Mario 64 remake dude? If so, please for the love of all things holy don't try to post your fangame on tumblr or any big social platform for that matter.
>>
>>382461474
Why does everyone insist on an original world?

Why not get a license for some other IP?
>>
go back to mfag where you belong
>>
>>382461132
Is it the guy who was putting in Galaxy NPCs and items as replacements?
>>
>>382461132
REV UP THOSE C&DS!

No seriously. Stop.

Make a game. In fact, PLEASE make a Paper Mario-like RPG, just to show Nintendo how it's done.

But don't make a Mario fangame. It's only going to end in disappointment for everyone.

Change him to Marty the Russian Carpenter of the Peat Moss Empire or some shit, I don't care, but don't go down this path, man. Don't do this to yourself. You deserve better than that.
>>
>>382462149
>please for the love of all things holy don't try to post your fangame on tumblr
There's already a tumblr blog for that game, anon.
>>
>>382461132
don't tell anybody until it's already made you fucking retard
>>
File: 1498607536097.jpg (106KB, 908x756px) Image search: [Google]
1498607536097.jpg
106KB, 908x756px
stop stealing nintendo IP's.
>>
>>382462149

This, wait until you are done and someone else uploads it.

Is it true you are going to replace Jr Troopa with Bowser Jr, was that just 4Chan shitposting?
>>
>>382462249
Explain this
>>382462175

Not everything needs to be an original world.
>>
>>382462209
>>382462149
not either of those guys. screenshot in original post was made entirely in game maker, i posted a lot about it 2 years ago on here... and also 2 years before that, when it was a lot less developed
>>382462249
>Marty the Russian Carpenter of the Peat Moss Empire
maybe

i dont understand the fuss with the C&D stuff though, nobody was this worried about it when i posted about this 2 years ago. is it because of color splash? regardless, there have been paper mario fangames made and completed. im not worried.
>>
>>382462175
Who is going to give their precious IP to an inexperienced nobody making a rip off? At best you'll get something shitty like Shantae. Make something original.
>>
>>382462414
That doesn't stop lawsuits.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>382462523
>dont understand the fuss with the C&D stuff though

Are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>382462702
Pic unrelated
>>
>>382461474

Bullshit. Without the Mario stuff they'd just be a series of, honestly, fairly bland turn based JRPGs. The relation to the Mario universe is what makes them so charming. Super Paper Mario, for the most part, didn't feel like a Mario game and was worse for it.
>>
File: hasbro-2.jpg (63KB, 1148x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hasbro-2.jpg
63KB, 1148x1200px
>>382462568
>>
>>382462568
SEGA did.
>>
>>382462828
>without the mario stuff
Hey genius the idea is that you're replacing the bland mario stuff with Actually Good stuff

>>382462852
puked in my mouth
>>
>>382462568
Valve does it all the time.
>>
>>382462952
You'd probably make a goldmine with at least one of their properties.
>>
>>382462754

It's a fan-creation using a 3rd party engine to create a game with an IP that belongs to Nintendo.

It's literally exactly the same thing.
>>
>>382462523
>i dont understand the fuss with the C&D stuff though, nobody was this worried about it when i posted about this 2 years ago.
Are you oblivious to what Nintendo has done in the past year or so? They've taken down hundreds of fan games in that time, most notable Another Metroid 2 Remake is known for most people, another is a rom hack known as Pokemon Prism and the shitload of fan games on GameJolt. Hell, recently they've been DMCAing any first-party Nintendo roms on sites like Emuparadise. If you're going to make a fan game you might as well go silent about it unless it's to update us on here obviously.
>>
File: 1498762619589.png (430KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1498762619589.png
430KB, 1024x768px
>>382462452
>Is it true you are going to replace Jr Troopa with Bowser Jr,
Whats the problem here?
Bowser Jr. is /ourboy/
>>
>>382461132
Use lanczos for downsampling.
>>
>>382461132
God bless. If you let this get C&D'd we'll probably never get another good paper Mario.
>>
>>382462568
>>
>>382462175
>Why not get a license for some other IP?

Why the fuck would you WANT to do that?
Why even bother with that headache? Why would you hamstring yourself creatively, in that way?
Why would you actively avoid creating your own settings and characters? It's literally the best possible approach to what you want to do.
>>
>>382462896
>>382462983
Those guys use experienced teams with working business relationships
>>382463494
Who

>>382463065
DMCA is not C&D

>>382463543
Fanboys
>>
>>382461132
Post your current progress nigga
>>
Why do people use official art for their fan games? Just make your own shitty art and make it replaceable in the game files. As soon as you release the game create an "unofficial" mod that replaces all the original textures, sprites, and names. It's really not that difficult to get around copyright, plus you could actually sell it.
>>
>>382462642
>Game is finished
>Starts getting circulated on the internet
>Nintendo sends C&D
>Creator removes their links etc to comply
>Too late because its out there on the internet
Its not a very hard concept to understand
>>
>>382464161
A DMCA is not a C&D.
A C&D is not a lawsuit.
They can STILL SUE YOU for WHAT YOU HAVE CAUSED. Most don't, but it's in their legal right to sue.
>>
>>382461132
I'm a nintendo shill sent here to promote Odyssey, I think they'll give me a promotion if I blow the whistle on this project
>>
>>382463597
>DMCA is not C&D

Litigation is litigation.
Attracting ANYTHING is bad. Don't fucking do it. It will only end badly.
>>
>>382464474
What if you literally just throw a download link as an anonymous here?
>>
>>382464635
Greatly limits how much your e-dick will get sucked
>>
>>382461132
are you the fag who was all gang-ho about the game, but then pussied out because you couldn't find super-dedicated guys to do everything for you?
>>
>>382464635
You can go for that if you go through the right channels.
>>
>>382463851
>plus you could actually sell it.
This.
This
This
This.

This is why I don't understand fangames.

Like, the BEST possible scenario for your fangame is you make it, spending YEARS of your life crafting it, fine-tuning it, and polishing it, and after all that, assuming the original IP holder doesn't drop a shit-ton of litigation on you at the worst possible moment, your game comes out, people play it, you get a nice article on Kotaku, and then after a month, it's done. Maybe a nice footnote on your resume. MAYBE.
And that's the BEST you can hope for.

Meanwhile, take that exact same game, change the assets around a little bit, and suddenly, you've got an entirely original IP that you can sell for real life, honest-to-god money. The fruits of your labor coming back to you in a tangible way!
Why would ANYONE take the former route? Why doesn't everyone do the latter?

>But that's so derivitive!
Motherfucker, you were making a FAN GAME. THE SINGLE MOST DIRIVITIVE THING ANY HUMAN BEING CAN POSSIBLY DO. ANYTHING is a step up from that position, morally. Besides, "Love letters" and homages are all the rage right now anyway.

Anyone who makes fan-games is fucking retarded.
>>
>>382461132
Remember to change every sprite to something not ripped off before releasing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvM6Mg0VtO0
>>
>>382465018
probably. i cant remember who but one of those people on deviantart who did paper mario shit agreed to make the textures and then completely just didn't do anything at all. i went quiet because i realized it wasn't going to turn out the way i wanted it or the way i had said it was going to. but my goal this time is a lot more achievable
>>
>>382464635
If you make the game entirely in secret, never put your name on it, and then throw up a MEGA link on 4chan out of the blue one day, people will play it for about a month, talk about it in that time, and then let it fade into obscurity.
And that's assuming that people actually PLAY it, and aren't scared off because an anonymously posted link with zero context could just as likely be malware, so you KNOW that misinformation is going to spread like wildfire and your downloads will drop to zero real damn quick.

Sounds like a really sound return on your no-doubt years-long passion project to me!
>>
>>382465983
I remember that. You also insisted on basing the fangame on an EXTREMELY autistic Paper Mario fanfic that literally nobody but you liked.

Shit was awkward as hell.
>>
>>382466216
whatever man shit was also 2 years ago
and i never insisted on anything other than it having a story.. i didnt ever make a final decision on what it was gonna be
>>
Can't you just pull an "I'm behind 7 proxies" and shill a game that way?
>>
>>382461132
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwP6uuYOWo
>>
Will I be able to do this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deoGx11iOkc
>>
make a darksoulslike paper mario game
>>
so what was the point of this thread? attention-whoring? you just come and say "I'm working on a fangame!" without providing any details or asking for any help.
>>
>>382465317
Gonna have to agree with this anon. The only hard part is creating a charming universe and characters.
>>
Make it a platformer that isn't shit.
>>
>>382461132
Keep it hush hush.
>>
>>382461132
Best of luck, my man. Hope you don't lose passion on it
>>
>>382462175
Original work means you get to make your own game that aren't in the confines or the shadow of another companies work.

You don't need to pay (as much) tribute, youve created your own franchise, and you don't have to worry about all your work going to waste because the money hungry corporation you so greatly admire is "protecting their assets".
>>
>>382468414
i think the next step is going to be switching from game maker to something else. game maker is proving to be just completely fucking useless and counter intuitive. it wasn't even this bad before studio was made, i'm not sure how they fucked it up so badly. a lot of useful features were removed and they made the debugger completely useless.

i would use unity but i feel like it might not have the ability to modify things on the smallest level that i need. im pretty fucking stoned right now so im not sure how to explain what i mean by that but whatever.

right now im encountering a lot of issues with the gravity that worked just fine before i switched to game maker studio... so im open to suggestions on what i should switch to.
>>
>>382468948
From what /vg/ says GM is still the recommended engine for 2D games. If you want something better you may have to just create it yourself.
>>
Just wait for that Paper Bug game if you fags want an original IP.
>>
>>382468948
If you can't figure out why gravity is fucked in Game Maker you have no chance in hell at doing anything in Unity, bud.
>>
>>382461132
Well, new Paper Mario is always cool, but what about Paper Cirno?
>>
File: 1498840755721.jpg (68KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498840755721.jpg
68KB, 300x400px
Don't you realize that Nintendo is fucking draconian when it's about fan games. Throw that shit in the trash can before the ghost of Satoru Iwata rapes your mother, your father, your dog and even you!
>>
https://gamejolt.com/games/epic-paper-mario/71638#close

Is this the game? Looks p good so far
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.