[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventure/RPG recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: P5_promocovers_PS4[3].jpg (1MB, 1746x2147px) Image search: [Google]
P5_promocovers_PS4[3].jpg
1MB, 1746x2147px
/v/ what are some stylistic, mature games, with good storytelling, interesting settings and characters, and fun gameplay? (Adventure/RPG preferred)

Persona 5 felt like that at the start but it gets cheesy super fast. Why can't there be a modern, mature Persona game? I hate the faggy Japanese teenager archetype that Persona utilizes, literally the plot to P3-P5 are all the same and the characters and s-links are mostly just lame and boring. Barely any interaction at all either unlike Yakuza which does the Japanese setting a lot better because it's at least about badass gang members and has quests, free-roam, and minigames.

I just don't wanna drudge through some teenager's fantasy of being a special snowflake anime character in a modern Japanese setting, like I said I would rather play Yakuza, it's just a shame that Persona's admittedly interesting premise, art style and music are wasted on such boring, awkwardly made games. I thought P5 might be the one to stand out from the others but not even an hour into the game and all it's been is how evil and selfish adults are. The teachers are stuck up their own ass, MC is just as boring as Minato and Yu and does nothing interesting outside of the whole steal your hearts thing. Same thing as P3 and P4, and not done much better either. I'd still say it's the better of P3 and P4 though so far.

The Persona games are good for what they are, I'm not trying to hate too much because I actually find them enjoyable sometimes, but they're just not the games that I am looking for so far.

I think Catherine was really interesting for what it was. Yakuza (and also Shenmue) fit the bill, as well as some SMT games (Nocturne, DDS), SotC, 999/VLR, Ace Attorney, Dark Messiah, Souls, Talos Principle, Penumbra/Amnesia/Soma, Silent Hill, Deadly Premonition, Cryostasis and Pathologic are the type of games I am looking for. Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>>382454592
Original Nier
Transistor
Aviary Attorney
Persona 2 IS and EP
>>
>>382454998
Oh yup, I agree with Transistor as well. That was a rather fun little gem. I forgot about those indie Steam games for a second. Add Hotline Miami and Lisa to that as well.

Nier, fuck yeah, I need to get on that for sure. Is Automata just as good?
>>
>>382455329
Hyper Light Drifter and Furi are also good indie games, but they are a little light on the character portion. As for Nier, They are two drastically different games in terms of focus. Nier is more of a character drama and Nier Automata is thematic narrative, but N:A has far superior gameplay. I would start with automata, and if you like it play Nier
>>
Bump, I'm even open to VNs. I just want an interactive adventure simulation sort of game that does better than the faults of Persona (sort of boring dungeon crawling, poor pacing and large periods of inactivity, no interaction with anything except s-links, not great writing). P5 visually looks really good it's just a shame it's obviously targeted to the j-fantasy anime otaku type of audience.
>>
>>382454592
Monster Girl Quest
>>
>>382454592
What if you were to give this game to, say, twenty... intelligent people i mean, what would that do? Let's face it what would it do?
>>
>>382456868
I like P5 to some degree, I just think there is a lot of wasted potential. It doesn't thrill me like all those other games have thrilled me, it's not interesting like a book or movie, it's still just too "video-gamey" for what the games try to accomplish.
>>
>>382457259
Really, that's interesting.
>>
>>382456524
Give Snatcher (SEGA CD version) and Policenauts (Saturn with English patch) a shot if you're open to VNs. Like Bladerunner and Lethal Weapon respectively, but with a Kojima spin.
>>
>>382457259
http://vocaroo.com/i/s16ixgFu0KQI
>>
>>382458091
Okay thank you for your rendition my friend, but can you really really say that the story telling department in P5 is done well? The games are seriously awkward and every moment spent at school is just boring as fuck. There's no mystery outside of the story, there's no exciting things to do, there is just dungeon crawling, life sim, and advancing the mediocre story which generally just means pressing X a bunch of times and choosing from 2-3 dialogue choices which usually don't ever effect anything.
>>
>>382458438
I tried to get into p3 and p4 because it's my Friends' favorite series by far. He talks about it a lot.
I couldn't get into it no matter how much i forced myself to. The gameplay was just minimalistic, i never cared about any of the characters and overall, the game feels like i would've loved it if i was 15. I just can't do that now. I didn't like the dungeons, the combat, nothing. The music is good but it gets on your nerves from time to time.
p3 was slightly better than p4. I played p3 around 5 hours and 4 around 6-7 hours,meaning i just got out of the fucking never ending tutorial.
Now, p5 seemed to have improved upon everything that i hated about the other two, it looks faster, the dungeons arent randomly generated corridors, the art style is amazing. But i haven't played it so i don't know. Judging from the other two games, if it's targeting the same audience, then yeah, i would probably idslike it as well.
>>
>>382459151
It's better for sure, it's just still not that good in the storytelling/character/interactivity department which is what I feel a game based on social interactions should be king at. The art style is beautiful and it has great production value, but at the core it is still very fundamentally flawed and not that enjoyable for me.
>>
>>382459563
>which is what I feel a game based on social interactions should be king at.
Then you are not the target audience. Do you think that the persona fans want anything more than the bare minimum with slight sexual innuendos? Or the occasional philosophic shoe in? No, they don't want anything more than that, and Atlus knows it. It's anime, dude, anime.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.