[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never played a FF game. Where should I start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0667.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0667.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
I've never played a FF game. Where should I start?
>>
the old ones are shitty, and the new ones are shitty

basically somewhere between FF4 and FF10 is where the good games happened

you don't want to fuck with that other stuff
>>
>>382452146

Google.

We don't need this fucking thread every day of the summer. It's bad enough as it is,
>>

Beware, 4 and 10 are overhyped garbage.
>>
Dawn of Souls
or the Anniversary PSP remake
>>
Don't play FF1. Just don't waste your time playing it. Not even trying to be funny or bait, the game is legit trash nowadays if you haven't played it 20+ years ago. The game is a complete and total archaic mess.
>>
Don't

I did and almost all of them are terrible
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 939x765px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 939x765px
>>
>>382452146
4, 6, or 7.

4 if you're looking for some good RPG gameplay

6 if you're looking for a good story and characters

7 if you want to see some fun anime bullshit, and you want to see the most significant game in the franchise

I picked 7 and didn't regret it.
>>
>>382454609

>ff8
>ff1
>high tier

Disregard this picture entirely.
>>
>>382452146
1, 5, or 7.

1 can be a fun experience, but you absolutely need to be in the mood and mindset for it. It can extremely frustrating otherwise. It's mostly just cool to see the origins.

4 and 6 are overhyped. Super linear, with virtually zero customization. 5 is the best on the SNES because of the Job system which immediately makes it the mots unique out of them.

7 is over hyped, but it genuinely is the most enjoyable playstation Final Fantasy. 8 has roughness, and 9 is ungodly slow, long and boring. 7 just ticks all the marks, materia is fun to use, the story is paced well, and it's probably the best final fantasy.

10 is long winded, but has a good battle system. 12 is a lot different, but can be OK. 13 and it's sequels are trash.
>>
Try the GBA or PSP version of I, if you think it's trash skip to IV. If you think that's trash skip to VI, and if you think that's trash skip to VII. If you think that's trash skip to XII, and if you think that's trash just play Dissidia.
>>
>>382454609
>FF5 low tier
>4 and 6 god tier
This is literally "I grew up in the 90's and am blinded with nostalgia" + contrarian ni one picture.
>>
>>382455531
>contrarian
That's the autistic 5fags. 4 and 6 are more popular even in Japan. No one likes 5 but autistic millennials who think they're really special and unique.
>>
File: tifa fap.jpg (37KB, 487x366px) Image search: [Google]
tifa fap.jpg
37KB, 487x366px
7 > 6 > 9 > 10 > 5 > 4 > 8 > 15 > 12 > 1 > 3 > 13 > 2

There you go OP. Best to Worst FF games
>>
>>382452146
not here
>>
>>382456061
Popular != good

4 has zero meaningful choices to make in combat. It has a story that keeps moving the goal posts. It has shitty characters.

6 basically just has nice sprite work and that's it. Every character has an OP ability that you spam every turn, and it's "story" is about as retarded as the last anime you beat off too.
>>
>>382452146
Chrono trigger
>>
>>382456335
Popular!= not good
Wow you like the unpopular. You are a special snowflake. The ones everyone likes are actually shit. You figured it out.
>>
play dissidia first if you want to actually understand the overarching plot as you play the others
>>
File: 1482808430136.jpg (7KB, 250x179px) Image search: [Google]
1482808430136.jpg
7KB, 250x179px
>>382454609
>FFXII in bottom
pleb opinion, but not uncommon
>FFV IN BOTTOM
>>
File: snake.png (32KB, 561x537px) Image search: [Google]
snake.png
32KB, 561x537px
>>382454609
>FFV
>Low tier
>>
>>382456335
6 is weak in gameplay, but since most of these games are piss easy it's top 3 or 5 depending on your priorities.

Only a pure gameplay autist would discredit it. It isn't completely vapid and without agency like SNES 4.
>>
5, 6 and 7 are the best the series has to offer, being strong gameplay, cool ideas, and a mix, respectively.

Everything else is either a more mediocre mutation of one of these three or a clusterfuck.
>>
>>382454935
>4 if you're looking for some good RPG gameplay
>Not 5
You what?
>>
>>382456947
When you compare 4 5 and 6. 5 stands out as being the best from a gameplay standpoint because it's the only one that has meaningful choices to make.

Honestly, 4 was my favorite growing up. I've played twice in my adult life and it's really dry and boring to play. There is a definitive best turn for every character.

6 is largely the same, it's just prettier, and a has a more robust character roster. There is some choices associated with party makeups, but it's still not even close to 5.

>top 3 or 5
I wouldn't agree with that at all.
>>
8 & 9 and 10 (just for the death knell of the series)
>>
>>382452146
I PSP
II PSP
III PSP
IV PSP
V GBA or PS1
VI GBA or PS1
VII avoid the Steam version
VIII avoid the Steam version
IX avoid the Steam version

That's all. Play the spin offs, the FF VII compilation but don't play X, XII (i kind of liked it), XIII and XV.
>>
Don't fall for the 5 meme. The underaged weebs of /v/ pretend to like it for the exclusivity and weebness of it.
>>
>>382457319
I said you should play 4 if you're looking for the best RPG mechanics in the series.
>>
Start with 12.
>>
>>382456674
here's your reply.
>>
>>382452146
4,6,7 & 9 are the most loved titles in series, and I can recommend them all. Out of them, 7 is perhaps the most rookie friendly,and it was the big turning point of the series for us westerners.

After that... choose your poison. Different games appeal to different people.
>>
File: 52335143_p0.png (39KB, 1370x790px) Image search: [Google]
52335143_p0.png
39KB, 1370x790px
I like the feeling of 5 but 9 probably did it better
>>
>>382457489
Considering 10 and 13, which are shitheaps, 3 AKA lesser 5, 2 being hella busted even at its best, 4 being a worse 6, 8's huge problems and 12 being an absolute mess, saying 6 is a top 5 title isn't unreasonable. 7 and 5 are better, 1 is enjoyable to some people, and 9 is perfectly average. It pretty much just comes down to XV and VI.
>>
>>382457632
Again, fucking what?
4 is a straight line that decides your party makeup for you with defined but insubstantial characters. How the fuck is that strong RPG mechanics?
>>
>>382458484
4 harkens back to Dungeons and Dragons where every character has a set role: fighter, healer, mage, etc.
5 is autistic anime shit for kids with ADHD who play Kingdom Hearts
>>
>>382458347
>8's huge problems
Elaborate. You can't say Junction, because Junction is one of the best systems in any FF game.

You can also play FF8 in many ways. You can play it traditionally, or you can use and abuse junction and the scaling level system to your advantage.

>12 being an absolute mess
Again, elaborate. it seems you just don't like stuff that's different.
>>
I like how nobody mentions the online games when XI and XIV have some of the best stories and great fan service.
>>
>>382459134
11 is a boring mess to play, even if it does have a good story, do you want to sit through hours of grinding in valkurm dunes with retards to experience it?

FFXI had serious potential. Leveling in the early game just took too damn long, which made subjobs way less useful. It was also just really boring, especially if you were a job like Warrior or Monk, because you just auto-attacked with nothing to do until you managed to hit the monster enough times to get TP to do a weapon skill.
>>
File: Faris.jpg (500KB, 1452x2025px) Image search: [Google]
Faris.jpg
500KB, 1452x2025px
>>382452146
Alright guys, I just got through V and it was really fucking awesome. What are some games that play like this, giving full and meaningful customization choices? I know Tactics is like that, I have been meaning to play it for ages.

Also, if I play FFIV, should I go for the PSP version or the 3D remake on Steam? What are the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>382459419
3D remake is harder, and has an iota of customization but it's also possible to lock yourself out of it. It's also possible to never engage in it.

I don't like the remakes in general. I would play the original or most faithful releases.

5 is basically as good as it gets for pure job system FF. 3 has it, but it's not as good. Later releases forgo it completely.
>>
>>382459419
Bravely Default/Second. The former gets flak for how it handled the story, but the customization is top notch, I think. If you have a 3ds, I think it's worth checking out, at least.
>>
>>382459075
>it seems you just don't like stuff that's different.
Is that seriously what you're getting from that? If that was the case I wouldn't be saying two polar opposites (5 and 6) are strong games. I wouldn't love SaGa and Crystal Chronicles.

XII feels half finished because of Matsuno's departure, with a strangely paced arc, oddly incidental characters, a queer progression in gameplay, etc. It's fun, but even more flawed than 6 as far as I'm concerned.

8 has issues with the team not thinking how systems interact. The level scaling undermines Junctioning's natural effect on the difficulty curve and basically makes you enforce your own rules to have fun runs, the plot is unfocused and too preoccupied with themes and reveals to prioritize engagement with the audience, and The weapon customization is a good idea but just wasn't implemented well enough.

They're both better than people give them credit for, but they have bigger faults than 6.
>>
>>382459134
XIV's story is balls. It just has an interesting backstory and world.
>>
>>382458738
>Having no choices at all and characters who are both boring AND predefined is good role playing.
>Getting to choose your class and figure out your own strats with a cast that's blank slates with some background is SHIT!

Are you a fucking retard? V is more true to DnD (and 1 by extension) than IV.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.