[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are the Homeworld games? Are Homeworld Remastered + Deserts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Homeworld-Remastered-Collection.jpg (646KB, 1274x1801px) Image search: [Google]
Homeworld-Remastered-Collection.jpg
646KB, 1274x1801px
How are the Homeworld games?
Are Homeworld Remastered + Deserts of Kharak worth £15?
>>
>>382434439
HW1R = Broken mess; the "remaster" uses the engine from HW2, thus the mechanics of HW2. This breaks many missions, ruining quite a bit of the fun of the original game. There have been patches to "fix" complaints; but they haven't really fixed anything. It's pissed off quite a large percentage of fans.

HW2R: Its HW2, exactly as it was, only higher res.

DoK: Shit

HWR comes with the originals however. If you want to try Homeworld, play HW1 in the original form, not the remaster. Playing HW2 in the remaster is fine, as its 99% exactly the same.

Homeworld Cataclysm is on GOG. It's a solid game with many quality of life improvements. Story is lame in comparison to HW1.
>>
>>382436107
Remastered Classic is missing one of the most important things: the original credits song
>>
>>382434439
Don't buy it unless you want gearbox to stay in business. Apply rope to your neck if you do.
>>
>>382436267
Well fuck; I didn't know they removed that as well.
Don't buy it OP. Pirate a copy of the original.
>>
File: wc3.png (331KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
wc3.png
331KB, 640x352px
>>382434439
It's a fucking masterpiece.

The remaster is trash and emblematic of how shit the industry is. But apparently the source code was lost so it is what it is. Honestly the "remaster" is an entire new game and is nothing like the original.
>>
>>382438190
Source code to HW1 wasn't lost; they claimed that about HW:Cata however. You can download the HW1 source off github actually. HW:Cata is on GOG though, so I assume its source was found at some point.

They were just lazy as fuck / Typical Gearbox.
>>
>>382438302
>HW:Cata is on GOG though, so I assume its source was found at some point
That's no indication source code was found.
>>
>>382438372
Well, they claimed they didn't include HW:C as the source was missing. You're right though, its on GOG not steam, and they have stated nothing else - the source is probably still lost.

Regardless, HW1's source was never lost. Gearbox COULD have done a better job with the HW1 remaster, but they didn't.
>>
>>382434439
Remastered is shit, they got lazy and ported the first game into the second game's engine so a bunch of mechanics are in the game that aren't supposed to be there.

For example the enemies scale with the size of your fleet, so the more units you capture (as you're supposed to) in HW1 the harder the enemy becomes
>>
>>382434439
HW1 = Cata >>> HW2R > HW2 > garbage > HW1R
>>
Deserts of Kharak is a masterpiece.
>>
>>382439895
I'd argue the biggest breaking changes were how badly formations were implemented (the patches did not fix them correctly), and the fact weapons fire went from actual ballistics to die rolls instead.

Technically HW1 did have fleet scaling as well (try not capturing all the Ion Frigs in the massive death ball, and comparing how hard the final mission is) - it just wasn't anything like HW2s.
>>
>>382436418
>Don't buy it
I agree with everything you said, except that.
Deserts of kharak and 2 are still worth the 15.
Yes, HW1 is awful, but the rest is well worth the money.
>>
>>382434439
HW1 is a timeless classic, but the remaster is fundamentally broken in several ways even though it is much prettier.

HW2 is okay, it's not as great from a singleplayer campaign perspective but the gameplay itself is improved in a lot of ways (minus the lack of true ballistics like HW1 had) and the remaster is basically identical but with slight graphics and engine improvements.

HW:Cataclysm is fantastic and another classic, but as far as I know it's not for sale anywhere since the source code was lost a decade ago.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.