[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: 2715748-rsz_91xwbmqgaml_sl1500_.jpg (185KB, 578x640px) Image search: [Google]
2715748-rsz_91xwbmqgaml_sl1500_.jpg
185KB, 578x640px
what went wrong?
>>
>>382431357
What if you were to give this game to, say, twenty... intelligent people i mean, what would that do? Let's face it what would it do?
>>
>>382431357
Only 10% of the game was included with the initial price.
>>
A 1v4 game can't convince people they are playing a competive e-sport tier game. DLC and micropayments are bad. Pre order monster bonus discouraged late buyers. Expensive cost at release. Mixed reviews and reception.
>>
>>382431357
should of had custom class creation for the hunters, made it similar monster hunter

so many games people would drop out cos they weren't playing the class they wanted
>>
File: 1476475304833.png (837KB, 836x718px) Image search: [Google]
1476475304833.png
837KB, 836x718px
>>382431357
Core gameplay loop is trash, it's not just about the DLC.

>boss fight game where the boss' best strategy is to run away and not fight
>>
>>382431357
It could have succeeded if it had been released with half the price, free content, and the cancerous system of lootboxes that /v/ hates so much.
The game was not that bad, the marketing scheme was shit.
>>
People that watched a crowbcat video and never played a game speak like they have knowledge and experience on something
>>
>you now remember that evolve has two season passes
>>
Boring flowchart gameplay as hunters leaving no room for excitement.

>run in circles until you find the fucker
>dome it
>kite it while tracking its face to the best of your ability
>rinse and repeat
>no unpredictability
>virtually no room for crazy plays or amazing shots, just whittling down health bars

and
>laughably bad balance even after the game was allegedly designed to be a sport
>full price for a demo's worth of content, a practice that the developers backpedaled on very, very slowly
>>
>>382431357
I think it was the ridiculous preorder bonuses and versions. Shit was just out of control during a time when people where bitching about that shit a lot. It turned me off, I never even played it when they stopped charging for it.
>>
>isometric pvp
Both sides will constantly bitch that the other is overpowered so no actual balancing ever takes place. Just go look at dead by daylight to see a relatively living example.
>>
>>382431357
Poor attempts at character balance mixed with the repeated patches seeming to make the game buggy and unstable played a part. Probably a game of humans vs multiple monsters would have been more successful, like a zombie apocalypse or something.
>>
File: ack.png (124KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
ack.png
124KB, 680x680px
>>382432069
I think the word you're looking for is asymmetric.
>>
>>382431978
Fucking hell...
>>
>>382432158
It is
>>
>>382432158
That had me confused. I'm dumber than him for not getting it.
>>
>589 in game

Seems healthy enough player base for it to survive
>>
File: 1496811572671.jpg (202KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1496811572671.jpg
202KB, 800x450px
>>382431357

too edgy, multiplayer only, too much pre-order bullshit that turned people off to buying the game.

All and all shouldn't have been 60$, might have succeeded as a 10$ game but 60$ is too huge an investment for most people who want a reliable game experience not an online-only experiment.
>>
File: Tediz.gif (2MB, 360x245px) Image search: [Google]
Tediz.gif
2MB, 360x245px
>>382431413
pfft
>>382431357
If anybody paid for that game at full price AND bought the DLC then they deserved to have their money taken from them.
>>
I'm convinced the people that work in that studio are all psychopaths. Matt Colvil, the lead art director puts up D&D stuff on his youtube channel and he has his work buddies participate. They seem to have absolutely no empathy at all. Thirteen year old boy murdered right in front of them and the only response they can give is. "Oh."
>>
File: 1488439424123.png (341KB, 593x635px) Image search: [Google]
1488439424123.png
341KB, 593x635px
>>382431978
"Hunting Season" pass
>>
>>382432069

Dead By Daylight must be doing something right because that shit is still alive.

Friday the 13th fucking tanked hard
>>
>>382432802
What the nig are you talking about?
>>
>>382431357
Game had potential to be decent, but the devs were greedy and had too high ambitions, trying to make evolve big in e sports and whatnot. Nowhere enough variety to go comptitive, and they shot themselves in the foot hard with dlc.

Could have been so much more though
>no space frigate map with civilians instead of wildlife
>no walker exo suit that can go one on one with the monster
So much potential, but they never realized it.
>>
>>382432873
Friday the 13th seemed to be banking on the streamer sales plan and that shit has a short timespan it can work, it may even be done already.
>>
>>382433152
That Turtle Rock Studio, in addition to being terrible game designers, are also all horrible unstable people. Matt had in his desperation was trying to shill Evolve on his channel to anyone that just liked his D&D stuff. Watching him and his group actually play showed that these people can't get into character, despite two of them being people that have played the game for many years and also throw hissy fits whenever their character dies due to their own incompetency.
>>
>>382433426
Okay. I knew turtle rock threw one of their employees under the bus after he said some innocuous shit about that NBA over, something about his private shit shouldn't be public. Hadn't heard about a murdered boy.
>>
File: 1498913722921.jpg (189KB, 578x640px) Image search: [Google]
1498913722921.jpg
189KB, 578x640px
>hunched nigga coming at you with a gun
>>
Basic gameplay loop was shit.
Ran quite shit. Didn't look very pretty aesthetically.

Then add outright heinous dlc and season pass schemes on top of full priced game...

They might have gotten away with dlc's if it was a great base game, but it wasn't.

Async team size doesn't work at all for esports either. They could have just added 3 minor monsters to help the big guy and add more variables in to the gameplay, making it possible to actually balance the game in more ways than just buffing/nerfing the one big guy.
>>
>>382431978
one of them cost $200.
>>
>>382431552
it is a hunting game
what did you expect
one person gets to be godzilla and just kill the others with no attempt of balance
>>
>not posting this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4RwGwQslM
>>
from what i remember as the monster you really could only win if you were able to pick of people out of position. Cept nothing really enticed the players to go out of position, if all 4 people stayed next to each other, there wasn't much you could do but get wrrecked. That and DLC shit
>>
I enjoyed it. I liked the core gameplay loop and got pretty good at it. even found myself geniunely intrigued by the setting and characters.
>>
>>382431357
The closed beta had good graphics, like real damn good graphics.

If game was 30$ MAX with all content possible to earn/buy. It could be actually still alive.
>>
People complain about just chasing the monster are fucking retarded. The monsters are faster then you so what sense does it make to chase it, no you have to cut it off. Dome it and do as much damage to it as you can before the Dome goes down then do it again, mixing up your tactics depending on what Monster your fighting. Some hunters are better against different monster, for example Jacks repulsor gloves can force flying monsters onto the ground, taking away 90 percent of their mobility.
>>
>>382432802

>all psychopaths

They're moreso just total fucking idiots. For once in my life I saw developers actually interact with fans on the forum and you know what these fuckers did repeatedly? After watching literal books worth of explanations for how bad their decisions were they just hid up their own assholes and used their own SDF they developed on their forums.

Fuck TRS.
>>
I was in the alpha and posted my thoughts in their forums about the game ie "running around waiting for the monster to lvl up is boring" and the fucking spergs all shit on my post telling me I was wrong.
>>
>>382434496
>what did you expect

Something where there's some constant level of decent balance rather than taking it in turns to be overpowered to the point where only 10% of a match can ever really be fun or interesting
>>
File: meme.jpg (51KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
51KB, 704x400px
>monster were OP
>at, more or less, equal skill level a group of coordinated hunters still have some disadvantage
>the expected 4 pubs fight one monster
Nice "esport" you made, retards.
>>
>>382431357
Most people are too brainless to play this game, that's what happened.
>>382434918
Knows the truth.

The basic gameplay loop is fine as in hunters are forced to split up to have a decent chance to see and catch the monster (any good monster will run away faster than hunters can gain ground on him). This in turn opens up the game for monster ambushing people (pre-everyone has a dome, lol update) at level 1 and 2.
Evolve is a splendid game about communication and mind games but the amount of people smart enough to not sheepishly just follow the tracks is way too small.

2K also absolutely blew everything regarding monetization and marketing.
>>
>>382435548
Joke's on you, "pro" showed a distinctly hunter favored gameplay solely because of cliff-humping.
>>
>>382436316
>tfw two smart to play evolve
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.