[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOOM is the greatest game released in the last 7 years. Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 17

File: Doom_Cover.jpg (65KB, 260x370px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Cover.jpg
65KB, 260x370px
DOOM is the greatest game released in the last 7 years. Discuss.
>>
you're wrong, you have shit taste, and you're probably 15 years old, delete your thread
>>
File: 1353602016040.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1353602016040.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Too bad pic related was released within the last 7 years. Maybe next time OP.
>>
>>382423827
>soundtrack sucks
>platforming is sub par and unnecessary.
>cut scenes and story in a doom game.
>environments looked bland and uninspired.
>u run super fucking slow.

hoping this would get me back into fps; it didnt
>>
I wouldn't say "greatest game" but one of the greatest.
>>
for some reason I have no desire to play it. too much mindless shooting at ai for me.
>>
It's not even the best shooter in the past couple years.
>>
>>382423994
>literally a half finished game
>>382424010
>soundtrack sucks
Objectively incorrect.
What platforming? You mean jumping a 4 foot gap from time to time?

Literally less than 10 minutes of control is taken away from the player, grow up.

Disagree, I found a lot of the Hell levels very nice to look at.

For the first 2 missions maybe, once you start picking up more weapons and getting more upgrades you move a lot faster. Game gets extremely fucking intense, actually much more so than the first game ever did, especially when you have barons, pinkys and caco demons chasing you around.
>>
Doom is 2nd greatest, greatest not for fun factor but as a game was witcher 3
>>
>>382424356
Must suck that a half finished game is leagues better than yours.
>>
>>382424382
Witcher 3 is a giant, overbloated movie. In order for a game to be a good GAME it needs to have good GAMEPLAY. Combat is literal horse shit, I've gotten more entertainment out of shitty korean alt tab mmos
>>
>>382424465
> circle around enemies and press right trigger: the game
>good
Jesus christ anon you have a serious condition of shit eating, you might want to get that checked out.
>>
File: 1430826194712.png (256KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1430826194712.png
256KB, 500x364px
>subtle recommendation thread with guaranteed replies
>>
>>382423827

Doom, lol?

Prey and Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 are way, way, WAY better than that piece of crap.
>>
No, just because it isn't another CoD wannabe does't automatically make it good
there are so many things wrong with this game.
>>
>>382424594
Name them. And then give me some games released in the last 10 years that are better.
>inb4 unfinished repetitive garbage like DaS
>>
>>382424535
Are we talking about dark souls or doom?
>>
>>382424010
>soundtrack sucks
soundtrack is subjective, I and most other people enjoy it. You can always disable it and play spotify though.
Platforming is easy and isn't a core mechanic of the game on purpose. It's purpose was for a slight puzzle for small intervals between action to keep the game progressing and to prevent it to feel overly repetitive.
there were 20 second "scenes" there were never any cut scenes in the game i genuinely dont know what you're talking about. Also there has always been story in a doom game and i dont see how its a bad side if you hate it so much ignore it its only there if you want to look at it.
subjective, I think the environments were very atmospheric and I enjoyed the games brutal, flashy graphics a lot.
not if you play the game right, you gain speed the faster you kill things you can triple your speed with ease you just didnt bother paying attention to the 2 minute "tutorial"
>>
>>382424535
You literally just described Doom lmao.
>>
>>382424657
Dark souls as atleast in DOOM I don't move at the speed of a snail covered in jello
>>
>>382424657
woah
i was thinking the arkham series
>>
>>382424356
>Objectively incorrect.
i like shit to sound "metal" not dubstep.

>What platforming? You mean jumping a 4 foot gap from time to time?
yes, hence "unnecessary". it isnt hard or engaging.

>Disagree, I found a lot of the Hell levels very nice to look at.
hell looked like a 12 yearold came up with it; everything else looked generic sci-fi.

>For the first 2 missions maybe, once you sta-
i played the game, and i respectively disagree.
>>
>>382424747
You know they're different genres, right m80? I mean, Wipeout's better than Doom then, because at least I don't move at the speed of a snail covered in jello :^)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BbvCC0VI0
>>
File: newmap--1200x675.png (2MB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
newmap--1200x675.png
2MB, 1200x675px
greatest shooter, yeah.
Greatest game? No that would be pic related.
>>
>>382424798
>i like shit to sound "metal" not dubstep
>i like
nobody cares that you only listen to straight metal music only slayer. The OST is god tier from a technological standpoint and amazing form a musical standpoint. You can't claim your ultra picky taste in music as an argument against the game if youre that triggered by this perverse dubstep in your holy sacred metal music just turn off the music and play your shitty 90s metal cassettes instead.
>>
>>382424693
>soundtrack is subjective-
main reason i liked doom was for the music. the music enhances the gameplay. im judging the game based on what it offers, and its soundtrack sucks.

>Platforming is easy-
its too fucking easy. they should have focused on other things than wasting time implementing a half-baked mechanic.

>cutscenes
the game made fun of them and proceeded to use them. and yes, i know there is story in og doom game but DOOM has STORY

>environment
kindly disagree.

>>running boi
u dont run as fast and why add a mechanic to run faster? the devs realise its FUN to run fast, yet make it u have to kill bitches. its pointless.
>>
>>382424798
>i like shit to sound "metal" not dubstep.
In what universe is
>>382424916
or BFG division considered dubstep?
>>
>>382424802
ftl is better than wipeout at least i dont have the movement speed of a snail covered in jello
>>
>fanboyism
>>
>>382423827

I hope it is decent at least, it is the next to play in my backlog.
>>
File: Titans Realm.jpg (92KB, 1280x450px) Image search: [Google]
Titans Realm.jpg
92KB, 1280x450px
>>382424798
>i like shit to sound "metal" not dubstep.
>this meme again
>mfw people scream dubstep because of tiny 5 second electronic intervals in metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BbvCC0VI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJT0Xh5ZrOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRkA1xYBZBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

In what universe is any of this dubstep?

>yes, hence "unnecessary". it isnt hard or engaging.
What is so triggering about jumping across a 4 foot gap from time to time and why is it so different from walking across a flat plane?

>hell looked like a 12 yearold came up with it; everything else looked generic sci-fi.

>pic related
Hell looks pretty cool if you ask me.

>i played the game, and i respectively disagree.
And I played the game and I respectively disagree with you
>>
>>382425059
they could have at least gone for some real industrial metal instead of random overproduced bassy fart noises that force me to turn down my subwoofer and some djent guitar
>>
>>382425059
yes, thank you for basically telling me that my subjective opinion on a game is subjective. i never knew that!

i judging the game on what the fuck it offers, and it offers shit!

fuck me, can a man not dislike a soundtrack in a game?
>>
>>382425101
your arguments are half baked get. take a little time to think about what makes a game fun and then come back when you graduate not being a fucking retard school. seriously though where's your helmet.
>>
>>382423827
BotW exists, and nuDuum was a fucking AAA console-butchering of one of THE biggest names in gaming history. So nope.
>>
>>382425167
what
it is real industrial would you prefer breakbeat?
>>
>>382424558
Rec threads SHOULD be a banable offense. I wonder why they get a free pass
>>
>>382425101
>i know there is story in og doom game but DOOM has STORY
Are you really this fucking butt hurt about 9 minutes of cutscenes in a 12 hour+ game? ID literally went out of the way and put all the story in optional tablets that you can walk away from at any time. It's quite clear that you've never played the game, let alone watched it.
>>
>>382425174
You can but you can't say it's bad if you just don't like it. If it's good musically and it's good technically, it's good, period. Your shitty opinion on whether the specific genre is good or not doesn't matter if the genre can produce proper music. Again, fuck off, your opinions don't matter if they are based in feelings and personal experience.
>>
>>382425251
Can you tell me what made it console shit? Can you point it out? The worst offense is the lack of mod support, I agree.
>>
>>382424653
>movement
not quite fast enough, no momentum/ground friction barely any air control with out upgrades which serve no purpose
takes control from player every sync animation buttons glorykills etc
>weapons
they sound and look nice but the functions overlap the seconary fire modes are just an afterthought and gimmicks rather than fill the void from poor weapon design/balance
>enemies
dumb as shit, they get caught on objects and other level geometry all the time, pathfinding is just terrible and the only one that does anything even remotely interesting is the imp and that is moving back and forth between waypoints rather than attack the player directly
>levels besides the opener, foundry and the energy smashing levels they are all really fucking bad and lead you by the nose with some really average encounters that play out exactly the same way every time ( but the enemy design is also to blame for this)
I'd say most games of any kind of relevance released in the last 10 years are better than Doom 2016, Doom 3 is certainly better and that's saying something!
>>
>>382425162
>soundtrack
yes, i was being hyperbolic there.

>What is so triggering-
the game is trying to be a platformer, and it fails. they could have used this time to enhance other mechanics int he game, instead of implementing mechanics without much thought/depth.

>>hell
agree to disagree.

>And I played the game and I respectively disagree with you
very nice :)
>>
>>382425260
actually I just heard a song in this thread I didn't hear in the game which sounds pretty good, I must have turned the music off after the first level cause it sounded like generic electronic shit
still way too much bass though
>>
>>382425251
>botw
what
>nuduum
what
>>
>>382425201
>calls me out on my opinions
>doesnt tell me how im wrong
>>
>>382425452
You nu here lad?
>>
>>382425380
he brought up BotW in a doom thread. That kind of bait couldn't have been made any more obvious.
>>
Its greatest weakness is lockdowns everywhere. Searching for keycards is fine, but not even the arcade mode removed those restrictions.

Its otherwise a good game that could not live up the hype of its progenitors anyway, but rather mostly did its own thing.

I still don't like the glory kills or the upgrades and runes, but what can you do.
>>
>>382425416
> they could have used this time to enhance other mechanics int he game, instead of implementing mechanics without much thought/depth.
if you've got so much "thought/depth" then you come back when you have thought of a bette mechanic to replace the parkour that still fits the style of fast paced easy quick action.
>>
>>382425327
i finished the game in less then 8 hours and i was reading ALL the fucking info

not if the story is good and the game justifies its existence
it doesnt, though.
>>
>>382425416
>the game is trying to be a platformer, and it fails. they could have used this time to enhance other mechanics int he game, instead of implementing mechanics without much thought/depth.
Again what platforming? The 10 seconds of each level where you're jumping tiny gaps? How the fuck does this constitute as platforming? So does every game that has any sort of jumping a platformer?
>>
If Doomguy moved like 30% faster it would be GOTYAY. As it is, I kept letting go of the Run button because I assumed I was at walking speed, only to find out that he really was running.

This is the actual best game of the past 7 years.
>>
>>382424356
>Objectively
The soundtrack is generic djent, except the musician couldn't even fucking bother to throw in a solo for a single song. The metal music scene has been mocking people like him for years now. It's very low effort.
>>
>>382425550
It's fucking optional though. Before you were solely complaining about how there's story in a DOOM game, and how that's bad. But now you're bitching the quality aswell? So what do you want story in DOOM or no story?
>>
>>382425440
>way too much bass
so a good full spectrum of audio frequencies which balances a song and makes it never sound too loud no matter what volume is a bad thing now? would you prefer it played through a walkie talkie?
>>
>>382425373
did u literally tell me my opinion isnt worth shit on art if it isnt technical/objective? art? something based off expression? u, sir, are dumb.
>>
>>382425618
>The metal music scene
Is this supposed to be taken seriously? Metal hasn't been good for fucking 20 years.
The music fits the gameplay perfectly and that's all that matters.
>>
>>382425527
I only agree with you on glory ills they would have been awsome if they were about 50x rarer.
>>
>>382425534
havent got the time to, but i can give opinions on how to better the platforming.

-make u ALWAYS run fast, so jumping to places is more exhilarating
-get rid of that "compact compensation" bullshit.
>>
>>382425630
no, it's good, but that's the problem with the music, it sounds way to fucking loud even when it's played at full volume cause the bass is way too high, at least on my setup
>>
>>382425626
"if the story is good, and justifies its existence in that particular game, im all for it."
>>
>>382425201
>opinions
>argubends :DD
molyfags need to off themselves
>>
>>382425593
The only way to move faster is to get the rune that requires you to chain glory kills to keep your speed up. Which kind of sucks.
>>
>>382425695
>Is this supposed to be taken seriously
If this is how you excuse repetetive chugging that has no variance to it at all, then who gives a fuck what you take seriously. Meshuggah figured this out a decade ago. Why can't these artists do anything but open palm mute a single fucking string? It's boring and shitty and leads to awful music. And I like how you're now moving the goalposts from the soundtrack being objectively good to it fitting the gameplay. Further proving my point.
>>
>>382425550
no you didnt
>>382425593
again, learn the combat mechanics, you kill more you go faster, don't waste time between combat
>>382425618
its background music you fucking tard there are no solos in background music that would be distracting as hell
>>382425639
art is based off expression but its still a medium that can be enjoyed, it still is very technical and no amount of feelings will ever create art, it takes skill and thought.
>>
>>382425695
>Metal hasn't been good for fucking 20 years.
maybe if you're a hair metal fan or something, there's tons of good metal around today
>>
>>382423827
I would have said NieR: Automata
To each their own I guess
>>
>>382425872
>That would be distracting as hell
No it wouldn't newfag.
>>
>>382425837
"if the story is good, and justifies its existence in that particular game, im all for it."

Yet again, it's 10 minutes of cutscenes. The rest is optional. How does this bring down the quality of the game at all?
>>
>>382425817
wear headphones / turn off your eq
ez fix and thats your fault the game wasn't designed to be run into an amp.
>>
File: whatwasthat.jpg (13KB, 297x112px) Image search: [Google]
whatwasthat.jpg
13KB, 297x112px
>>382425872
and thats accounting for the times i left the game on while afk.

>art is based off expression-
agreed, but ur opinion is still valid if its emotional.
>>
>>382425941
it doesnt bring down the quality in itself, but bundled with everything else i find shit...well.
>>
>>382425736
make you always run fast would only be good in multiplayer, OH WAIT
wtf even is compact compensation?
>>382425892
minigames the game
I'd rather play wii play
>>
>>382425965
I don't have an amp and this is the only game I've ever played with a soundtrack that rapes my ears
>>
>>382426004
>>382426004
>but ur opinion is still valid if its emotional.
no its fucking not
>>
>>382423827
>Being this hung up on one genre
I don't understand how you can count 1 game as the best game in X amount of years when there's so many other great games I enjoyed.
>BotW
>Witcher 3
>KF2
>DS3
>DA Dark Arisen
>FO: New Vegas
>>
nah it's sleeping dogs
>>
>>382426052
>wtf even is compact compensation
lol, it when u land your character dpwsnt move and does this annoying fuckng animation. it happens when u land from high heights. completely slows down gameplay.

>make you always run fast would only be good in multiplayer, OH WAIT
no it wont, and i dont get the oh wait?
i never played multiplayer.
>>
>>382423827
It's fucking boring
>>
>>382426080
>settings
>>audio
>>>music volume
that was hard
>>382425937
namecalling, nice argument there anon
since you have no argument and it's been proven that music with a lead or with lyrics decreases focus substantially, fuck off
>>
>>382426215
If you find DOOM boring than I'd love to hear about what games you find fun.
>>
>>382425892
>NieR: Autismo
>Best game of last 7 years
The story is tumblr-tier and the gameplay is shallower than Kim Kardashian's personality.
Read a book faggot.
>>
>>382426212
Dont jump off heights plan your movement
Multiplayer is quake without vertical element, its okay and very gimmicky fun to play for 20 hours after that it is boring.
>>382426171
Also what that game was mediocre at best.
>>
>>382426224
>I don't understand what eq means
>>
File: aaaaads.jpg (25KB, 598x191px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaads.jpg
25KB, 598x191px
>>382426109
HOW THE FUCK DO U LOOK AT SOMETHING EXPRESSED VIA EMOTION, AND JUDGE IT ENTIRELY OBJECTIVELY.
>>
>>382423827
Pretty solid shooter, but I'm sure there's better out there from the last 2.

I had more fun playing Xcom 2.
>>
>>382426271
im guessing he probably thinks dark souls and deus ex are the best games of all time.
>>382426335
equalizer
>>
>>382426329
but. i want to jump from high heights. i dont wanna take a shitter route and slow my play becuase the game decided it wanted to have an arbitrary fucking punishment. why punish the player for jumping from high heights. og doom didnt have it. oh i know, because they thought i looked awesome, considering the first thing u do when exiting the facility is jump from a high height.
>>
>>382426390
That's an actual contender finally, but 1 is better.
>>
>>382426390
>comparing an fps arcade game to a top down strategy game where you control multiple characters.
>>
>>382426448
why do you care about jumping from heights in a shooter. Maybe open world games are more for you?
>>
>>382426448
how many heigfhts did you jump from in og doom?
also if you think og doom is better than just play it
>>
>>382426448
none of the designated combat zones even have high drops in
>>
File: 1446236075743.gif (2MB, 708x955px) Image search: [Google]
1446236075743.gif
2MB, 708x955px
Maybe second best.
>>
File: 1496925211875.jpg (21KB, 476x391px) Image search: [Google]
1496925211875.jpg
21KB, 476x391px
>game is decent
>OP praises it as the best in the last 7 years

>just over a dozen of games in 7 fucking years that can even be considered "decent"
>>
>>382426514
its a fast paced shooter where the fun is killing shit fast and it punishes u because u want to get to the shit to kill faster. the fact is its arbitrary and hurts the game. agreed?

>>382426528
the places that had them has them.

>>382426562
im not gonna bother fact checking that. my complaint is that its fucking pointless and slows down a game meant for fast play.
>>
>>382423994
Clunky as shit and not even finished

The AI is so bad it kills itself
>>
>>382426705
I don't get it. Why is there an anime dancing girl and what does she have to do with Bloodborne?
>>
>>382426727
I've played through the game, i mean it's a shit game but the whole 'impact compensation' is basically just a little cutscene and doesn't even factor into the gameplay so it's a pretty dumb complaint. You could complain about all the stupid finisher animations instead
>>
>>382423827
Not even the greatest of the month it was released in shill boy.
>>
>>382423827
Game mechanics and graphics are nice, history and maps are mediocre at best.

Its an OK game that stands out because its swimming in a river of shit.
>>
>>382426810
developers putting in a feature that is arbitrary, makes no sense, and goes against the purpose of the game? id say thats a pretty reasonable complaint
>>
>>382426969
>the gameplay is good
>but the game is bad
??? What else do you play games for? Story?
>>
>>382427021
the game's full of little cutscenes thats break up the action
>>
i do not agree
>>
>>382426453
I like the art style of 1 a lot more. Going from heavy set military fuckers to regular assholes dressed like American Ninja Warrior contestants was a downgrade.

But, the whole arms race felt a lot less linear and stealth option was a good move. The whole running into "packs" of enemies still felt a bit janky.
>>
>>382427021
>makes no sense

How to fuck up your entire argument in one sentence.
>>
>>382426969
should have NG+, without it that entire upgrade system feels like a wasted opportunity
>>
I'd agree with maybe BB being a good contender.
People will say Nier, Yakuza, or Persona but I laugh. Borderline movies and animes, constantly taking away control from the player to give poorly written, awkward dialogue and 2deep4u plotlines. I also liked Nioh but the level design is garbage.
>>
>>382427084
yes. they all suck, but this sucks more because it contradicts the -- say it with me -- purpose of the gaaaaaame.

>>382427142
explain?
>>its called gravity, son!
yes. im saying it makes no sense in the realm of this game.
also, if u can land from high heights and not die, i would understand how melee attacks would kill u?
>>
>>382427314
give the purpose of the game is to be an AAA console baby shooter where you push a button and something awesome happens I think it fits the purpose of the game quite well
who doesn't want to feel like their favourite super hero when they hit the ground?
>>
>>382427431
>a superhero that cant resist gravity
hmmmm

yea i dont know about u but i dont feel like a bad as when i run like jim sterling and stick to the ground like a jim sterling when falling from high heights.
>>
>>382427314

Because when you start criticising something for not making sense you open yourself up to all the other shit that doesn't make sense. Fun fast paced games don't make a lot of sense, it's what makes them fun. Let's talk about how it doesn't make any sense you can't aim up in OG doom but can still hit shit above you.
>>
>>382424010
the cutscenes and story serve to give context and meaning to firefights as much as a Doom game should have and only serve to annoy on second playthroughs. Of course they should be skipable but its not bad when a level is an hour long it cant just be combat the whole time. Calling the environments bland triggers me because each level has a unique pallet or art style to present except one where you revisit a previous area.

>>382427021
>>382426810
Impact comepnsation is a factor of gameplay. It slows you down in a game where you're not supposed to stop moving, just a thing to consider in combat.
>>
>>382427592
i get what ur saying, but when i say "it doesnt make sense" im referring to the context of the game, and what its trying to achieve.
>>
>>382427772
no combat arenas have falls high enough to trigger it
>>
>>382427849
the animation of your gun dropping down stops the super shotgun from reloading and makes moves your crosshair down for a second. I also remember triggering it and dying in a combat arena so thats factually false. Even if it didnt happen to you its possible. There are fps games where literally nothing happens when you fall and it feels unresponsive and empty.
>>
>>382427772
>cutscenes
it annoyed me on my first playthrough. literally, doom guy ignores him in the first attempts of conversation.
>funny, i also dont give a fuck about u or this lore.
>proceeds to give a fuck

>Impact comepnsation is a factor of gameplay.
yes, thank you; and it sucks.
>>
>>382428079
Adding more things for the player to keep track of in combat is what makes combat fun. Doom does not have 3D space, this one is built around 3D space. Him throwing the screen serves multiple meanings, he is angry at the "demonic invasion in progress" not simply saying "fuck plot lol" and he does give a fuck as codex entries say he's invested in what's going on. Another detail not forced down your throat that you can optionally learn. Had information like this and everything with the wraiths been in forced cutscenes I would agree but thats the real plot and you're not forced into it through constant cutscenes. Every level is an hour long typically on the first time around and you're complaining about what amounts to maybe 5 minutes of mandatory non gameplay spread throughout a whole level.
>>
>>382428417
when i say he ignored him i mean when the scifi cunt radios to u. hes annoyed that u are ignoring him. i would have honestly preferred doom guy to save the day by completely himself.
>>
File: DEAD.png (181KB, 429x448px) Image search: [Google]
DEAD.png
181KB, 429x448px
>>382423827
>retarded weapon wheel that lets you slow time
>pistol & melee as majority of the game
>demons look more like aliens
>boring fucking art style
>multiplayer is bad
>shit metal ost
fpbp

>>382423994
>half-finished game
>majority of bosses are fucking boring
>PvE is easy & predictable
>glitches out the fucking ass
>the PvP is really, really bad
>only a handful of covenants are decent
>had to be human to use Red Soapstone
>can't duel Dark Spirits after killing boss
>can't be invaded in any area with a dead boss
>SL1 twinks with hornet-ringed chaos reinforced clubs = invade anyone, and 1shot everyone
>autistic backstab system
>series has had a consistently retarded armor system, which was the best in the sequel
>the sequel had soul memory
>the third's 1st dlc was shit, and the 2nd (final) was anti-climatic
>the series sucked as a whole

That's all coming from someone who would have thousands of hours in
Dark Souls 1-3 (with all DLC). I also own Bloodborne and Demon's Souls.
>>
>>382429402
>half-finished game
main problem i have with it.

after speed running it numerous time, the 2nd half was clearly fucking rushed, i.e. after o&s
>>
Skyrim.
Are we done here?
>>
File: 701.jpg (26KB, 400x562px) Image search: [Google]
701.jpg
26KB, 400x562px
>>382423827
I'll never know. I'm not going to download 50Gb of patches filled with meaningless multiplayer content for a game that is DEAD.
>>
>>382429402
Would only be a valid criticism if the number weapon switches didnt work like a proper PC game, if you use the weapon wheel you're just ruining it for yourself. The game is boring on anything other than nightmare because you can glory kill everything, which just makes the game unfun for yourself, again. Without upgrades glory kills dont actually give very much ammo, so they cant be relied upon to replenish your entire inventory past maybe one gun. Contrary to shitposters lies you can play just fine barely using glory kills outside the chainsaw. Theres little reason to not just shoot to kill and turn off glory kill highlights. The pace of the game becomes much faster, you're not forced and balanced isn't thrown off by doing this.
>>
>>382430053
nice bait.
>>
>>382429793
I wished that the Duke's Archives was as expansive as Cainhurst Castle was.
New Londo Ruins could've had some more stuff, not sure what though.
The Tomb of Giants should've been able to branch off to Izalith & Ash Lake.
That area also could've had more content.
LOST IZALITH ITSELF COULD USE A LITTLE BIT MORE OF EVERYTHING

As for the first half of the game (everything from the start, to Anor Londo), it was pretty good.
I didn't mind the ass-fuckery of Blighttown itself either, desu.
The inter-connectivity of the world would give you alternative ways of traversing the world.
This way, it wouldn't feel like backtracking in a game like Resident Evil 2.
It was a bit like Soul Reaver with world design, too.

>>382430101
Thank God that number switches worked, right?
Still though, the game has this choice for any of the players anyways.
I also think it would've been more fun with the gamepad, without that time slo-mo shit either.
>>
>>382430569
agreed. i always wonder why they gave u the ability to fast travel after anor londo. now its clear.
>>
>>382430569
Shadow Warrior 2 had the weapon wheel with no slomo and its difficult to use imo. The problem with DOOM is it has optional elements to appeal to casuals but it is great if you play like an autist.
>>
>>382423827
I'll admit that it's one of the best triple-As in a long time.
And that says a LOT about where the bar is for high-budget vidya now.
>>
>>382426771
Go ahead and post your no damage run here, we'd love to see it. The AI is just so bad, right? Must be pretty easy to do.
>>
>>382423827
no. If nuDoom had been released 10 years ago it would have been blasted as the unresponsive, boring console game it is. It kinda sorta looks like an okay shooter in today's market because it has ZERO competition. No other FPS worth playing has been released in a decade. The switch to consoles ruined the genre well before 2010 and no FPS will be the greatest game in any period of time after 2005 until the PC and console FPS markets are completely separated and we get some FPS designed around mouse aim and intelligent players again.
>>
>>382425618

Look at this faggot
>>
>>382425550
>caring this much about optional story in a fucking shooting game
Man you must suck shit at DOOM.
>>
>>382424356
>Literally less than 10 minutes of control is taken away from the player, grow up.

Counting the cutscene that plays every time you melee there's about an hour of control taken away from the player throughout the game.

Oh wait, now I remember shills are pretending they unbound their melee buttons and refused to get all that free health, shills are the true hardcore gamers.
>>
>>382431332
Not really considering its faster and more responsive in every way to Doom 3, which was praised by critics and auidences alike except for core Doom fans. Despite the fact that it was incredibly slow, controlled and linear, and used modern features like sprint and reloading. Good game is good game regardless of when its released. It might have been panned ten years ago for not being a Half Life 2 clone, which is the direction FPS games were taking but not panned for the reasons you're listing.
>>
>>382431581
You're purposefully ignoring how the game is at least 12 hours long, whereas the original Doom is less than 5 and had no filler. So there's still just as much gameplay. Just saying that fact on its own (I doubt its an hour overall to begin with, but who's counting) without context is shitposting. Its the context that a level is an hour long and not five minutes long that makes it ok to have some small amounts of filler.
>>
>>382426212
>>382426448
>>382426727
Once you get the double jump, you can do your second jump as you get close to the ground to skip the landing animation. In other words, get good.
>>
>>382431584
Doom 3 isn't a Doom game it was NOT praised by any critic worth reading. So, by many but they don't matter unless you're a teenager who hasn't learned yet.

>>382431701
>the original Doom is less than 5 and had no filler

Yeah, that's why it's only 5 hours (wherever you got that number from). nuDoom is about three quarters filler so by the same logic it's actually 3 hours long.

And the "context" for melee cutscenes is that they interrupt the combat for no good reason and you should stop making excuses for them, it's pathetic.

>a level is an hour long and not five minutes long that makes it ok to have some small amounts of filler.

A level is an hour long because it's mostly filler. Filler = you're walking (or jumping and climbing) around with few or no enemies getting in your way.

And make no mistake, I would be the first to excuse ALL of that shit if at least the combat were actually good. But it's terrible, the AI is garbage, the enemies are Halo style bullet sponges but without the Halo squad AI. That's right, I'm saying Halo beats nuDoom at its own style of combat. nuDoom masks it by being faster. That's literally it, and plebs actually fell for it. So there's nuDoom's greatest accomplishment, being a little faster than Halo. That's like being more colorful than Killzone 1.
>>
File: big.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
big.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>I started playing games in 2005 and am overly impressed by anything that's not Call of Duty: The Thread
>>
>>382423827
Not with that platforming.

It's definitely good though. A solid 7/8 out of 10.
>>
>>382425415
>but the functions overlap the seconary fire modes are just an afterthought and gimmicks rather than fill the void from poor weapon design/balance
Thought a lot of the secondary functions were good, but that may be due to primary fire on so many weapons sucking.
>>
>>382432104
I thought you were talking about the literal cutscenes, not purposefully trivializing glory kills as cutscenes. Then you called the AI bad and I think its fantastic so its clear you fundamentally dont like things I like and I hate arguing over meaningless bullshit. Generally i've found an easy way to spot argumentative shitposters, they always use the word "nuDoom" its like a codeword for "i'm retarded, please don't listen to me"
>>
>>382432334
Forgot to add I got that metric from this website
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2701
>>
>>382430735
I would be okay if fast-traveling just meant that you warp back to the Hub & back to where you were.
I'd think that would've reinforced the problem that BB had, though.
Bonfires should've replaced Hubs with leveling up & upgrading.
DS1 nearly covered all of those major bases.

It would've been interesting if Bonfires would've been the
ones to entirely replace "The Hub", which typically shows up.
It would've been convenient for players if we could just skip allthe bullshit
and just have everything like leveling up our stats, and upgrade our own weps.
It's forced to tie most NPC's up to one, singularly recurring area.
Without a Hub, it enforces desolate feelings of loneliness.
This makes character interaction all the more sweeter.

If the game HAD to have warps, then make it regional.
Like, you could only warp to each region.
You'll rely on navigation, shortcuts, and the inter-connectivity of each regions' areas.
Of course, that heavily relies on good world-building.
>>
>>382432334
>I thought you were talking about the literal cutscenes, not purposefully trivializing glory kills as cutscenes.

I'm sure the original guy was talking about the "sincere" cutscenes which are cancerous enough. You want me to respond to those separately? Fine, they should be skippable and I'm pretty sure they weren't all skippable so that's cancer and deducts at least a whole point from the game's rating. Their duration is irrelevant.

>you called the AI bad and I think its fantastic

How? HOW? Have you played any other FPS before?

>argumentative shitposters, they always use the word "nuDoom"

I'm not even a fan of the original Doom games and even I feel uncomfortable saying "Doom is a bad game" when talking about the reboot. It doesn't feel right to talk about one game using the name of a different game. The fact that you're comfortable with this is extremely suspicious and maybe you shouldn't be posting here yet.
>>
>>382431581
This doesn't count.
>>
File: 20170606065156_1.jpg (437KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170606065156_1.jpg
437KB, 1920x1080px
>>382432575
No I dont want you to, my point was you're coming off as argumentative and clearly just dont like it, what am I going to say to change that other than stating my opinions, which I already did? You say one thing is bad, I say its good, and your response is WOW I CANT BELIEVE YOU BELIEVE THAT!! Who cares?

The game itself makes the distinction between new and old Doom by typing anything referring to new in all caps, like DOOM, then when it refers to the original its typed normally. Any time DOOM is said in the codex or titles its in caps, except for the classic levels referring to the original games. So there is an offical distinction in place, if you want to be technical.
>>
>>382432654
So a cutscene doesn't cound if it's short enough? Why? And how short is short enough?
>>
I finished replaying DOOM(2016) pretty recently so I've got some thoughts on it. Overall, it's a great FPS. Better than almost any other contemporary one. People who love the original Doom will probably be unhappy with it, but I think those people think the original Doom is perfect, so there is no way to satisfy them.

But as for nuDoom

>It's actually fun

>There are few cut scenes. Glory kills don't count and it's disingenuous to argue that they are cutscenes. I think the game has 3 total cut-scenes and they seems to go against the design philosophy of the rest of the game. Compare it to Wolfenstien, a game with a good shooter at its core, and you see that DOOM is much closer to doing it right. Cutscenes killed nuWolf, but don't make much of a difference in DOOM

>It's faster than almost every modern FPS but much slower than the original Doom.

>It's easy. Weapons are not balanced well. The super shotgun and the gauss seige mode trivialize the later game, when things should be the hardest.

>Boss fights are not that fun.

>No need for platforming levels like where you scale the tower

Well that's all I gotta say. It's a very good game, and its too bad all the DLC is for the multiplayer. 8/10.
>>
>>382432997
It doesn't count if it flows seemlessly into the game, enemies move around during it and can shoot at you, and yes, if it's less than 1 second long it doesn't count. You might as well say that attacks that have long commits in character action games like Bayonetta are cutscenes.
>>
>>382426773
It probably relates to the source of that dancing anime girl, and how everything unravels in a continually fucked up way.

>i honestly don't know, it's just conjecture
>>
>>382432997
Glory kills are melee attacks. In every game where you melee you lose control of the character for that period of time. If glory kills are cutscenes, reloading animations are cut scenes, weapon staggers are cutscenes. Virtually everything is a cutscene under this definition.
>>
>>382432925
>you're coming off as argumentative and clearly just dont like it

And? What's wrong with that?

>what am I going to say to change that

You're not entitled to change that. If you wanted to convince observers of your points then giving reasons and examples instead of just saying "I like" or positive adjectives would be a start.

>Who cares?

We both seem to care enough to have this exchange. You can stop posting at any time.

>The game itself makes the distinction between new and old Doom by typing anything referring to new in all caps, like DOOM

All game titles are written in all caps on promotional material. Using all caps when talking about it just seems like added marketing strategy. Make users YELL the name of your PRODUCT every time they talk about it. No, thanks. They should have given it a proper name, same name reboots are cancer.
>>
>>382433352
>enemies move around during it and can shoot at you

You're invincible.

>if it's less than 1 second long it doesn't count

Okay, was that decided by some board? Who made this call?

>You might as well say that attacks that have long commits in character action games like Bayonetta are cutscenes.

Can they be cancelled? Can you be attacked during them? If there is no interaction possible during this time then yes, that would be a cutscene. A cutscene is when control is taken away from you and everything that happens for x milliseconds is entirely predetermined. If enemies could cancel your glory kill by shooting you I wouldn't count it as a cutscene. If you could decide to cancel it midway through and do something else instead I wouldn't count it as a cutscene. I have a pretty solid idea what constitutes a cutscene. You on the other hand just make it up as you go along, conjuring a 1 second rule out of nowhere being the best example. What if Doom featured a few "special glory kills" that lasted 2 seconds? What if Doom DLC is released and in that all glory kills last 1.1 seconds? You would obviously just change your definition to allow those durations as well. Who do you think you're fooling?
>>
>>382433536
There's nothing wrong with it but I dont like feeling like my opinions are held in a competition to see who is "right" and there can only be one winner and we must bicker until we find who. Its a childish stupid mindset that promotes negativity I have no interest in. Its like, "oh he's one of THOSE faggots who quotes every line you type and responds to it sequentially" well that's never a good time. I would call you cancer but at least you're trying to have a conversation, even if you can't seem to carry one unless it results in some kind of victor.
>>
>>382433879
>Can they be cancelled? Can you be attacked during them? If there is no interaction possible during this time then yes, that would be a cutscene. A cutscene is when control is taken away from you and everything that happens for x milliseconds is entirely predetermined.

No it isn't. Think about every single platformer ever where once you jump, you are committed to that jump.
>>
>>382433895
CTRL + F "something relating to the topic of the thread"

0 results
>>
>>382434024
Off topic but... Not in DOOM once you get the in air control ruin it makes the game easy mode.
>>
>>382433879
>You're invincible.
Read what you are responding to. There is not a single enemy projectile in DOOM that is hitscan. Did you even play it?
>>
>>382434091
I wouldnt disagree that given OPs hyperbole such a response is warranted, I suppose.
>>
>>382433895
>Can they be cancelled? Can you be attacked during them? If there is no interaction possible during this time then yes, that would be a cutscene.

People talked about Dark Souls earlier in this thread and Dark Souls is a game where almost none of your attacks can be canceled. Is it a series of cutscenes?
>>
Is every single attack in any game with I-frames and without a cancel a cutscene? What the fuck?
>>
>>382434024
While you're in the air all sorts of things can happen. You could hit an object and drop like a rock, you could get shot by an enemy etc. Think of stunt jumps in GTA as the complete antithesis to glory kills. There we have a jump of some sort during which you as the player can't do much, and the game even goes into letterbox "cinematic" mode making it look like a cutscene. But actually what happens is not predetermined. The physics are calculated in real-time, you could hit an object on the way, you could come short, the game doesn't know if it will award you with "jump completed" or if it will say "not good enough" when you land. So it's gameplay, being shown as if it were a cutscene.

Glory kills on the other hand are literally just short cutscenes. Somehow making them short was somehow enough to confuse people.
>>
>>382434101
Yeah I think there are a lot of things that make the game far too easy. Fortunately you can choose which runes are active and just keep the ones that improve the game. Same with weapon upgrades, like the super shoties's max upgrade, which you can't even avoid getting while still getting the sub-upgrades which are good but not OP.
>>
>>382434525
Bullet penetration is perfect, but the faster reload doesnt make it feel like the super shotty we know and love from Doom 2.
>>
>>382434373
See:
>Is every single attack in any game with I-frames and without a cancel a cutscene? What the fuck?

You're the one that is confused, because someone took an existing game mechanic and dressed up like a cinematic.
>>
>>382434134
You can't die during glory kill. If an enemy projectile hits you during glory kill it doesn't do damage.

>>382434350
That depends whether the outcome is decided before the attack. In nuDoom once you aim at the stunned enemy and press melee everything that happens after is already decided.

The rule is not "invincible = cutscene", allowing enemies to cancel your attack is just one way in which it could be interactive, making it gameplay. You could also be invincible during glory kills but there's something else that can go wrong.
>>
Me playing Golden Axe in 1995 and hitting the special attack button that calls in a dragon that damages all enemies on screen. Fucking cutscenes taking away player control REEEEEE
>>
>>382423994
Fucking souls fags. v is shit because of you all. There is no discussing with you. Yall blindly think ds is biggest masterpiece and most hardcore game ever
>>
>>382434759
>The rule is not "invincible = cutscene", allowing enemies to cancel your attack is just one way in which it could be interactive, making it gameplay. You could also be invincible during glory kills but there's something else that can go wrong.

You can be attacked during glory kills though. The world continues to move around you and as has been said, enemies are allowed to fire projectiles at you during them.
>>
>>382433458
>In every game where you melee you lose control of the character for that period of time

t. my first FPS was COD MW
>>
>>382434759
>You can't die during glory kill. If an enemy projectile hits you during glory kill it doesn't do damage.

Enemy projectiles are not hitscan.

Answer this:
>Is every single attack in any game with I-frames and without a cancel a cutscene?
>>
>>382433879
>If there is no interaction possible during this time then yes, that would be a cutscene.
>grabs in hack and slash and fighters are cutscenes now
?
>>
>>382434871
>You can be attacked during glory kills though

Attacks that HIT you during glory kill do nothing. An enemy can launch a projectile while you're in glory kill but it will only have an effect if it takes until after the cutscene is finished to reach you. Enemies being able to fire at you during cutscenes happens in plenty of games, although it's usually a developer oversight.
>>
>>382434872
sorry just insert >may in there
You lost this argument mate.
>>
>>382423827
No, that's The Witness
>>
>>382435019
Yes because you have I-frames. Do you know what I-frames a re? They were invented in 1985 by a guy named Shigeru Miyamoto
>>
>>382434954
I already did. see
>>382434759
>>
>>382435120
It seemed like you avoided answering it. According to this definition every single character action game is just nothing but 80% cutscenes.
>>
>>382435020
Games with melee that don't lock you in any way:

>Battlefield until consoles
>COD until consoles
>all of Counter Strike
>Halo until Reach
>FEAR
>Crysis 1
>Dark Messiah, the best melee game of all time

Turns out you've got consolitis and it's terminal.
>>
>>382435247
What's a "character action game"? Is that a weeb exclusive genre?
>>
>>382435376
>What's a "character action game"?
It's what newfags call hack and slash like DMC and Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>382435315
Games with melee that do
>Castlevania
>>
>>382435451
Hack and slash refers to games like Diablo.
>>
>>382424189
I fucking hate EDF ironic-fags
>>
>>382435451
Okay, 80% sounds a bit much then. I never played those but from looking I'd say only few attacks are cutscenes, most of the time you seem to be attackable and your own attacks have a chance of missing, the opponents aren't just standing there. Plus, you have to keep pressing the right buttons or the combo will stop. That's a QTE then which is a separate debate. I consider those cutscenes in a game-philosophy sense because I don't think they add anything beyond a cutscene. But purely technically they are gameplay because there are several outcomes (you can fail them). They're basically gameplay the first few times, then cutscenes once you've got the muscle memory.
>>
File: 1498914089401.jpg (19KB, 234x222px) Image search: [Google]
1498914089401.jpg
19KB, 234x222px
Yes and it's better than the original as well. Only delusional tryhards think otherwise
>>
>>382435637
Diablo is an RPG, not hack and slash.
>>
File: 1383334814104.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1383334814104.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>382429402
>DaS
>starts bitching about DaS2 and DaS3
>>
>>382435802
>I consider those cutscenes in a game-philosophy sense because I don't think they add anything beyond a cutscene.
If you're talking about shit like grabs, Obliteration techniques and the like, they aren't cutscenes for the same reason Glory kills aren't, the game still runs in the background.
>>
>>382429402
>retarded weapon wheel that lets you slow time
Never used it
>pistol & melee as majority of the game
OG Doom's pistol was WAY stronger you fucking retard
>demons look more like aliens
No
>boring fucking art style
Opinion
>multiplayer is bad
No one care
>metal ost
So it's not dubstep now?
>>
>>382436049
>the game still runs in the background

If this is your only line of defense then you're fucked. 99% of games don't stop background stuff anymore than they have to for cutscenes. In open world games you will see NPCs walking around in the background, you will see the weather and time of day continuing on as if nothing changed. You cannot define cutscene as "entire gameworld freezes, except what's in view", it doesn't happen like that in virtually ANY game.

What seems more reasonable, making up a new definition for cutscenes that fails to describe 99% of agreed upon cutscenes, or admitting that some things considered "game mechanics" in some genres are really just short cutscenes?
>>
>>382435657
You fail to look beyond the B-movie tone or the low production values in EDF to appreciate its gameplay and encounter design. The game forces the player to use many different tactics and the situations when to use them are completely fluid. It's not like Doom 2016 where you enter a room and be like "oh this is the combat arena" or "oh so this is the designated exploration part of the level" and "oh so this is the designated platforming part". EDF is more true to the original Doom and Quake than Doom 2016 by having variety and fluidity in combat scenarios and by giving the player the opportunity to make far-reaching tactical decisions in combat. Everything in Doom 2016 is momentary, it has no concept of player death by attrition which is a huge part of the original Doom and what something EDF succeeds in doing well.
>>
>>382436701
>99% of games don't stop background stuff anymore than they have to for cutscenes.
Cutscenes don't have enemies acting during them. They can swarm your ass and put you in a shitty position. Conversely, you can use them to wait out or avoid enemy attacks. It's another tool in the toolbox, not a cutscene.
>>
>>382436970
I think if you tried you could think of games where enemies act during cutscenes. First example that comes to my mind would be the third LOTR game. Enemies always acted during cutscenes, it could get very frustrating at times. During some of them you could even get hurt. The game was rushed. Does that mean they weren't cutscenes?
>>
>>382437809
>Does that mean they weren't cutscenes?
No, but they weren't attacks initiated by the player either, and terribly coded as you note.
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.